|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word "hitch" mean in the narrative?
(a) A state of worry.
(b) An obstacle or setback.
(c) A public stage.
(d) A constable.
2. What word from the narrative refers to a tissue inserted into another tissue?
3. How are the passages of the amphitheater described in Part 2?
4. What artistic movement influenced Frank R. Stockton and other authors during his time period?
(a) The Cubists.
(b) The Dadaists.
(c) The Pre-Raphaelites.
(d) The Modernists.
5. What does the word "incorruptible" from the story mean?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the hired mourners do if the criminal on trial is killed?
2. The king's vast amphitheater is described in Part 2 as "an agent of" what?
3. What word from the narrative means menacingly wild or savage?
4. What major theme of "The Lady, or the Tiger?" is established in the beginning of the story?
5. What is the king said to be greatly given to in the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Frank R. Stockton regarded as an author when "The Lady, or the Tiger?" was published?
2. How is "barbarism" defined in "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
3. When are the accused brought to the king's arena for judgment, according to the narrator in Part 2?
4. When and where is "The Lady, or the Tiger?" set?
5. What historical allusions does the author make in Part 1 of the story?
6. How does the king respond when things go his way or do not, according to the narrator in Part 1?
7. How is the narrative in the beginning of the story related?
8. What theme is introduced in Part 2 of the narrative?
9. How would you describe the language style of "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
10. In what ways is "The Lady, or the Tiger?" like a fairy tale?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)