|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long does the princess's love affair with the courtier last before the king finds out?
(a) Many months.
(b) Many years.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks.
2. The narrator says in the conclusion of Part 3, "Did not the accused person have" what?
(a) "A system of logic at play in the affair?"
(b) "An ability to appeal his fate?"
(c) "The whole matter in his own hands?"
(d) "A fair and impartial jury?"
3. What door does the courtier go to open in the end of Part 4?
(a) The right door.
(b) The left door.
(c) The middle door.
(d) The upper door.
4. What word from the story refers to a requital according to merits or deserts?
5. How does the princess signal to the courtier in the arena?
(a) By tilting her head.
(b) With her left hand.
(c) By blinking.
(d) With her right hand.
6. What word from Part 4 of the story means domineering, dictatorial, or overbearing?
7. Of the citizenry, the narrator says in Part 3, "they never knew whether they were to witness a bloody slaughter or" what?
(a) "A joyful departure."
(b) "A solemn affair."
(c) "A hilarious wedding."
(d) "A crowning of greatness."
8. What word from the narrative refers to an established law or custom?
9. What word from the story refers to the assembling or people?
10. From where does the priest emerge if the criminal is found innocent in the arena?
(a) From a door before the king.
(b) From above the criminal.
(c) From the galleries.
(d) From a door behind the king.
11. What word from Part 4 of the story refers to a formal and authoritative order?
12. What word in the story refers to a nuptial ode?
13. What does the word "moiety" from the narrative mean?
(a) A portion.
(c) A wish.
14. How does the narrator described "the masses" during the trials at the arena?
(a) They "were fearful and agitated."
(b) They "were entertained and pleased."
(c) They "were on the edges of their seats."
(d) They "were aghast and horrified."
15. What part of the plot structure of the story is found in Part 3?
(a) Falling action.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in the text refers to the act of performing of a ceremony?
2. How does the narrator describe the location of the tiger in the arena?
3. Which door does the princess signal the courtier to in the arena?
4. What does the courtier know immediately when he meets eyes with the princess in the arena?
5. Where does the princess sit in relation to her father in the arena in Part 4 of the story?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)