|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from the beginning of the novel means uninhibitedly enthusiastic?
2. What major theme of "The Lady, or the Tiger?" is established in the beginning of the story?
3. What word from the narrative means fair and just?
4. What word from the narrative refers to an epic poem or an instrumental composition?
5. How does the narrator describe the audience in the case where a criminal is killed in the arena?
(a) "With bowed heads and downcast hearts."
(b) "With merry laughter and dancing."
(c) "With rapturous cries of justice."
(d) "With poetic songs of freedom."
6. What literary word refers to a typical example of a certain person or thing, such as the characters in "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
7. What word from the narrative means to bring out or to obtain by special means?
8. What does the word "untrammelled" from the story mean?
9. How does the narrator describe the king in Part 2?
(a) "Every wizard a king."
(b) "Very much a liberal king."
(c) "Every barleycorn a king."
(d) "A jester of a king."
10. How are the iron bells described that ring if the criminal is killed in the arena?
11. How is the king's demeanor described when "every member of his domestic and political systems moved smoothly in its appointed course"?
(b) "Bland and genial."
(c) "Angry and disposed."
(d) "Quiet and sullen."
12. How would you describe the king's method of governing?
13. How would you describe the language in "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
14. From what perspective is the narrative related in the beginning of the story?
(a) First person omniscient.
(b) First person.
(c) Second person.
(d) Third person.
15. What word from the narrative refers to a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what tense is the story related?
2. How are the distant neighbors described that helped to polish the king's ideas?
3. With what genre is "The Lady, or the Tiger?" associated?
4. What artistic movement influenced Frank R. Stockton and other authors during his time period?
5. What literary term refers to the background information provided by the author in the beginning of the story?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)