|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the princess's soul described in Part 5 of the story?
(a) "A cruel and vexed cavern within her being."
(b) "At a white heat beneath the combined fires of despair and jealousy."
(c) "A cloud ot sincerity, love, and dedication."
(d) "A convolution of despair and the ambition to destroy her father."
2. Who wrote about Stockton's "The Lady, or the Tiger?" in American Fiction To-Day?
(a) Henry Vedder.
(b) Daniel Defoe.
(c) Fred Lewis Pattee.
(d) Henry Golemba.
3. What word from the narrative means fair and just?
4. The narrator states in Part 4 of the narrative, "Never before had such a case occurred; never before had a subject dared to" do what?
(a) "Betray the kingdom for another."
(b) "Love the daughter of the king."
(c) "Murder the royal court."
(d) "Commit so terrorist of an act."
5. What word from Part 4 of the story means domineering, dictatorial, or overbearing?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The Lady, or the Tiger?" adapted and produced as a three-act operetta?
2. Of the lady behind the door, the princess envisions her "flushing cheek and sparkling eye of" what, in Part 5?
3. How is the king's demeanor described when "every member of his domestic and political systems moved smoothly in its appointed course"?
4. What literary term refers to the background information provided by the author in the beginning of the story?
5. The narrator says in Part 2 of the story that the king's arena was built "for purposes far better adapted to widen and develop" what?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)