|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did author Frank R. Stockton support himself before his work as an author?
(a) He was a banker.
(b) He was a wood engraver.
(c) He was a butcher.
(d) He was a book binder.
2. How would you describe the setting of "The Lady, or the Tiger?"
(a) A small country village.
(b) A city filled with skyscrapers.
(c) A contemporary town.
(d) An ancient kingdom.
3. How is the king's demeanor described when "every member of his domestic and political systems moved smoothly in its appointed course"?
(a) "Quiet and sullen."
(c) "Bland and genial."
(d) "Angry and disposed."
4. What word from the narrative refers to a right, immunity, or benefit enjoyed only by a person beyond the advantages of most?
5. Of the king, it is said in the beginning of the story, "He was a man of exuberant fancy, and, withal, of an authority so irresistible that, at his will, he turned his varied fancies into" what?
Short Answer Questions
1. With what genre is "The Lady, or the Tiger?" associated?
2. How many doors does the criminal face across from him in the arena?
3. What literary term refers to the background information provided by the author in the beginning of the story?
4. How are the passages of the amphitheater described in Part 2?
5. What does the word "untrammelled" from the story mean?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)