|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from the short story means uncivilized or primitive?
2. Who gives the signal for the condemned to step into the arena?
(a) The jester.
(b) The judge.
(c) The king.
(d) The princess.
3. Of the king, it is said in the beginning of the story, "He was a man of exuberant fancy, and, withal, of an authority so irresistible that, at his will, he turned his varied fancies into" what?
4. How does the narrator describe the audience in the case where a criminal is killed in the arena?
(a) "With merry laughter and dancing."
(b) "With rapturous cries of justice."
(c) "With bowed heads and downcast hearts."
(d) "With poetic songs of freedom."
5. Where are the hired mourners located in the amphitheater when an accused person faces trial?
(a) At the outer rim of the arena.
(b) In the galleries.
(c) Next to the king.
(d) Behind the king.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from the narrative means certain to happen or a situation that is unavoidable?
2. What does the word "idealism" refer to in the narrative?
3. When was "The Lady, or the Tiger?" first published?
4. When does the story take place?
5. What word from the narrative means fair and just?
This section contains 243 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)