|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of book did Xavier Villaurrutia write?
(a) Religious exhortations about life.
(b) Death-related poetry.
(c) Life-related poetry.
(d) A scientific explanation of death.
2. Why did the Mexican Revolution have to begin before the beginning?
(a) Mexico did not have the basic electricity and resources needed to transform her cities.
(b) The cities were not large enough to house the farmers-turned-workers.
(c) In the early 20th Century, Mexico was far behind the advanced world.
(d) The people still held a feudalistic mindset.
3. Why did the sense of Mexicanism "float" in the air of Los Angeles?
(a) It was an ethereal sense of nationality.
(b) No one truly knew that it meant to be Mexican.
(c) It did not mix with the North American efficiency or precision.
(d) People struggled to retain Mexican identity in a foreign land.
4. Why are a woman's instincts those of a species rather than her own?
(a) She must have instincts of the species in order to perpetuate the race.
(b) She is the incarnation of the life force, which itself is impersonal.
(c) As an inferior person, she does not have individual instincts.
(d) Her individual instincts are obliterated because of her proximity to the Divine.
5. According to Paz, why does the liar tell lies to himself?
(a) He is afraid of the world.
(b) He does not know the truth.
(c) He is afraid of himself.
(d) He is afraid of finding truth in other people.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Vasconcelos' philosophy regarding the material world?
2. How did Paz see the 20th Century?
3. What did Moctezuma think as the Spaniards approached?
4. Other than solitude, what does the Mexican often feel in relation to other peoples?
5. Why was Diaz's regime in a precarious position regarding positivist philosophy?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)