|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What mentality does Paz attribute to the Mexican?
2. Why are a woman's instincts those of a species rather than her own?
(a) As an inferior person, she does not have individual instincts.
(b) She must have instincts of the species in order to perpetuate the race.
(c) She is the incarnation of the life force, which itself is impersonal.
(d) Her individual instincts are obliterated because of her proximity to the Divine.
3. According to Paz, how does death end when a civilization denies it?
(a) Through the denial of life.
(b) By evading death.
(c) By living fully.
(d) It does not end.
4. What was one factor that guided the Revolution to prioritize tradition?
(a) Its fear of the future.
(b) The workers did not belong to the city or the country, and so they did not have any tradition.
(c) The large number of supporters over the age of 50.
(d) Its belief in the value of the past.
5. In Paz's example of the village near Mitla, how is their yearly income spent?
(a) On funerals.
(b) On weddings and christenings.
(c) On fiestas.
(d) On education.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Aztec victims were sacrificed, why did their deaths lack personal meaning?
2. What did positivism do with the ideals of the Reformation?
3. As Paz begins Chapter Two, he says that the Mexican is always afraid to glance at his neighbor. What reason does he give for that?
4. In Paz's argument, how have tradition and religion always been presented to the Mexicans?
5. Who were the last people to enter the Valley of Mexico?
This section contains 361 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)