|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the pachuco present himself to the people around him?
(a) As a man searching for a home.
(b) As a lost man.
(c) As one of the group.
(d) As a solitary, challenging figure.
2. In Paz's argument, how have tradition and religion always been presented to the Mexicans?
(a) As things leading to their spiritual salvation.
(b) As things to be held lightly or discarded.
(c) As things that will solidify their national identity.
(d) As things that stifle their individuality.
3. Following the Revolution, why was socialist education not widely implemented in Mexico?
(a) The government could not agree on a socialist curriculum.
(b) Training was not available for teachers for providing a socialist education.
(c) Socialist education was highly unsuccessful.
(d) Socialism was not the philosophy adopted by Mexicans.
4. What mentality does Paz attribute to the Mexican?
5. Why is death a part of the fiesta (Chapter Three)?
(a) Because Mexico celebrates all aspects of life, even the end.
(b) Because people often get drunk and violent.
(c) Because exuberant death is honorable.
(d) Because the Mexican seeks to escape from himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Paz discusses the result of persecution on the pachuco. What is that result?
2. In Paz's view, why does the Spaniard still use and enjoy blasphemy?
3. What model do Mexicans prefer that the woman follow?
4. How did the Reform want to justify itself?
5. When Paz first arrived in the United States, what surprised him most about the people?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)