|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 The Conquest of Colonialism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Paz, what does it mean when a person is alone?
(a) He can never relate to other people.
(b) He is different.
(c) He is inferior.
(d) He is superior.
2. Why did the Spaniards not exterminate the Indians after they were conquered?
(a) Their Catholicism prevented mass slaughter.
(b) They wanted to learn from the Indians.
(c) They respected the Indians.
(d) They needed labor.
3. What is the Mexican concept of work?
(a) An impersonal action executed carefully.
(b) A personal action handled slowly and carefully.
(c) A mindless action performed quickly.
(d) An important action performed extremely well.
4. Why is death a part of the fiesta (Chapter Three)?
(a) Because the Mexican seeks to escape from himself.
(b) Because Mexico celebrates all aspects of life, even the end.
(c) Because exuberant death is honorable.
(d) Because people often get drunk and violent.
5. Which of the following created the Spanish monarchy?
(a) Political will.
Short Answer Questions
1. As explained in Chapter One, who are the pachucos?
2. In contrast to the North American, what is one of the most noticeable traits about the Mexican character?
3. What is Paz's opinion about Western respect for life?
4. What is the French sociologists' interpretation of the fiesta?
5. In Paz's view, why does the Spaniard still use and enjoy blasphemy?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)