|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 The Conquest of Colonialism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What model do Mexicans prefer that the woman follow?
(a) A general model of decency, secrecy, and long-suffering.
(b) The model of ancient Mexican goddesses.
(c) A model of strength, praise, and fortitude.
(d) The model of The Virgin Mary - chaste and kind.
2. How does a man become "like the angels" (Chapter Three, page 61)?
(a) By valuing life to its final moment.
(b) By entrusting everything to God.
(c) By running from death to an embracement of life.
(d) By opening fully to death, as well as to life.
3. To follow Paz's previous argument, what is the result when one Mexican confides in another?
4. Why were the Indians not outraged that their religions were replaced with Catholicism? (Chapter Five).
(a) Because they had been reconnected to the world.
(b) Because their gods had betrayed them when Cortez attacked.
(c) Because they were not very connected to their gods.
(d) Because they liked Catholicism better.
5. What masculine trait enters into the idea of feminine modesty?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Paz's estimation, what vital word has the Mexican forgotten?
2. What is the advantage of the North American view of women in relation to the Spanish view?
3. To which of the following does Paz reduce the Mexican character? (Chapter Four, page 73).
4. Why is a study of colonialism important in understanding Mexican history?
5. In Paz's example of the village near Mitla, how is their yearly income spent?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)