|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5 The Conquest of Colonialism.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his obsession with hygiene, work, and health, what does the North American miss?
(a) True anger.
(c) All-consuming love.
(d) True joy.
2. When Paz first arrived in the United States, what surprised him most about the people?
(a) Their confidence and self-assurance.
(b) Their honesty and sense of community.
(c) Their lack of openness.
(d) Their confidence in the future of the nation.
3. How do Mexicans avoid the dangers of romantic relationships, according to Paz?
(a) By stifling their feelings.
(b) By not truly loving.
(c) By exaggerating their feelings.
(d) By denying the importance of the other.
4. In the book's argument, what happens when a Mexican woman is passive?
(a) She embodies the ancient elements of earth, motherhood, and virginity.
(b) She can no longer relate to the man.
(c) She functions as a channel of the ancient elements: Earth, motherhood, and virginity.
(d) She comes to believe in the societal values given her.
5. How do Mexicans perceive an opening-up of one's self?
(a) As infidelity to the human spirit.
(b) As a sign of strength.
(c) As a betrayal or weakness.
(d) As a moment of truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Spaniards find when they arrived in South America?
2. Why did Catholicism drastically change the Aztec view of life?
3. Why are a woman's instincts those of a species rather than her own?
4. Paz discusses the result of persecution on the pachuco. What is that result?
5. When does the pachuco become his true self?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)