|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
2. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
3. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
4. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
5. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
2. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
3. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
4. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
5. How is Augustus killed?
6. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
7. How does Mildred get killed?
8. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
9. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
10. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Caldonia begin an affair with Moses? Does Caldonia love Moses? Why or why not? How does learning of Moses' treatment of Celeste affect Caldonia's opinion of Moses? What does Moses do with his family when he begins an affair with Caldonia? Why? What does Skiffington believe Moses has done with his family? Why? Why does Moses barge in on Caldonia and ask why she has not freed him? Why does Moses believe Caldonia should free him? Will she? Why does Moses run away? Where does he go?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)