|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
2. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
3. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
4. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
5. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
2. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
3. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
4. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
5. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
6. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
7. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
8. How is Augustus killed?
9. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
10. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Henry Townsend. Who are Henry's parents? Why did they work to free him? Who is Henry closer to, his parents or his former owner? Why does Henry look up to his former owner? Why does Henry disregard the opinions of his parents? Why does Henry have a falling out with his parents? Does Henry look to his former owner as a parent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)