|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
2. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
3. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
4. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
5. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
2. How is Augustus killed?
3. How does John Skiffington get killed?
4. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
5. How does Mildred get killed?
6. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
7. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
8. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
9. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
10. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Henry Townsend. Who are Henry's parents? Why did they work to free him? Who is Henry closer to, his parents or his former owner? Why does Henry look up to his former owner? Why does Henry disregard the opinions of his parents? Why does Henry have a falling out with his parents? Does Henry look to his former owner as a parent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elias. Why did Elias want to run away when Henry Townsend first bought him? What caused him to settle down? Who did Elias marry and how did she influence his behavior? Did her influence continue as Elias grew older? Why was Elisa made overseer of the plantation? Was this a good choice? Was it hypocritical of Elias to accept the position after her fought so hard to be free? Why did Elias' wife disagree with his decision to become overseer?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Caldonia begin an affair with Moses? Does Caldonia love Moses? Why or why not? How does learning of Moses' treatment of Celeste affect Caldonia's opinion of Moses? What does Moses do with his family when he begins an affair with Caldonia? Why? What does Skiffington believe Moses has done with his family? Why? Why does Moses barge in on Caldonia and ask why she has not freed him? Why does Moses believe Caldonia should free him? Will she? Why does Moses run away? Where does he go?
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)