|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
2. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
3. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
4. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
5. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
2. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
3. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
4. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
5. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
6. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
7. How does Mildred get killed?
8. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
9. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
10. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Henry Townsend own slaves? Why does this decision cause a rift in Henry's relationship with his father? Why does Henry's father refuse to stay in his son's house while visiting the plantation? Why does Henry's parents relate better to the slave than their son? Why does Henry relate better to his former owner than the slaves? What does Henry vow to do when he begins owning slaves? How does this make Henry different from his former owner?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of slaves in this novel. Who treated the slaves worse, the white plantation owners, the white lawmen, the black slave owners, or the slave overseers? What are the differences between the various treatment of the slaves? Who thought they treated the slaves better? Did they? Why or why not? Is it possible to treat a slave kindly? Should slaves have been freed by their black owners? Is it more morally corrupt for a freed slave to own a slave than a white man who has always been free? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)