|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
2. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
3. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
4. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
5. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
2. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
3. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
4. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
5. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
6. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
7. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
8. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
9. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
10. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Henry Townsend own slaves? Why does this decision cause a rift in Henry's relationship with his father? Why does Henry's father refuse to stay in his son's house while visiting the plantation? Why does Henry's parents relate better to the slave than their son? Why does Henry relate better to his former owner than the slaves? What does Henry vow to do when he begins owning slaves? How does this make Henry different from his former owner?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)