|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
2. Who is Ray Topps?
3. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
4. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
5. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
2. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
3. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
4. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
5. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
6. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
7. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
8. How does Mildred get killed?
9. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
10. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Caldonia begin an affair with Moses? Does Caldonia love Moses? Why or why not? How does learning of Moses' treatment of Celeste affect Caldonia's opinion of Moses? What does Moses do with his family when he begins an affair with Caldonia? Why? What does Skiffington believe Moses has done with his family? Why? Why does Moses barge in on Caldonia and ask why she has not freed him? Why does Moses believe Caldonia should free him? Will she? Why does Moses run away? Where does he go?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss morality. What is morality? Are moral issues black and white? Should people own slaves? Should only whites own slaves? Should only black own slaves? Does it make more sense, morally, for a black to own a slave? Why or why not? Should slaves supervise and punish one another? Why or why not?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)