|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
2. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
3. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
4. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
5. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
2. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
3. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
4. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
5. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
6. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
7. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
8. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
9. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
10. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William Robbins. Who is Robbins? Why does he have so much power in Manchester County? Who is Robbins to Henry? What is their relationship like? Why is Robbins more of a mentor to Henry than his own father? Why did Robbins free Henry's father? Why did he refuse to free Henry? What does this say about their relationship? Why does Robbins eventually free Henry? How does their relationship change? How does their relationship remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Augustus and Mildred Townsend. How do they feel about slavery? From where do their opinions come? Why do they disapprove of their son's decision to own slaves? What happens when they learn of this decision? Why do Augustus and Mildred stay in the slave quarters when they visit their son? Why do they not stay in the house? Why are they not proud of their son's achievements? Should they be?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)