|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
2. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
3. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
4. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
5. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
2. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
3. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
4. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
5. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
6. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
7. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
8. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
9. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
10. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Elias. Why did Elias want to run away when Henry Townsend first bought him? What caused him to settle down? Who did Elias marry and how did she influence his behavior? Did her influence continue as Elias grew older? Why was Elisa made overseer of the plantation? Was this a good choice? Was it hypocritical of Elias to accept the position after her fought so hard to be free? Why did Elias' wife disagree with his decision to become overseer?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Caldonia begin an affair with Moses? Does Caldonia love Moses? Why or why not? How does learning of Moses' treatment of Celeste affect Caldonia's opinion of Moses? What does Moses do with his family when he begins an affair with Caldonia? Why? What does Skiffington believe Moses has done with his family? Why? Why does Moses barge in on Caldonia and ask why she has not freed him? Why does Moses believe Caldonia should free him? Will she? Why does Moses run away? Where does he go?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
This section contains 980 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)