|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
2. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
3. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
4. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
5. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
2. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
3. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
4. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
5. How does John Skiffington get killed?
6. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
7. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
8. How does Mildred get killed?
9. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
10. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss morality. What is morality? Are moral issues black and white? Should people own slaves? Should only whites own slaves? Should only black own slaves? Does it make more sense, morally, for a black to own a slave? Why or why not? Should slaves supervise and punish one another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William Robbins. Who is Robbins? Why does he have so much power in Manchester County? Who is Robbins to Henry? What is their relationship like? Why is Robbins more of a mentor to Henry than his own father? Why did Robbins free Henry's father? Why did he refuse to free Henry? What does this say about their relationship? Why does Robbins eventually free Henry? How does their relationship change? How does their relationship remain the same?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)