|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
2. How does Topps define perishment?
3. Who is Ray Topps?
4. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
5. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Caldonia has the choice to free or continue owning her slaves. Which does she choose and why?
2) Caldonia's mother stresses that slaves are a legacy. Discuss this opinion.
3) Calvin, Caldonia's twin brother, wants to free the slaves. Discuss why and how his opinion impacts his actions throughout the novel
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William Robbins. Who is Robbins? Why does he have so much power in Manchester County? Who is Robbins to Henry? What is their relationship like? Why is Robbins more of a mentor to Henry than his own father? Why did Robbins free Henry's father? Why did he refuse to free Henry? What does this say about their relationship? Why does Robbins eventually free Henry? How does their relationship change? How does their relationship remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
This section contains 1,509 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)