|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
2. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
3. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
4. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
5. How much does Caldonia estimate Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie are worth based on the books Henry kept in regard to the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
2. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
3. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
4. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
5. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
6. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
7. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
8. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
9. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
10. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mildred Townsend? Why does Skiffington go to her house to look for Moses? Is Moses there? Why? What happens to Mildred during the search for Moses? Why? Is it an accident? Why is Moses taken into custody? Why is it suggested Moses be hobbled? Is he? By whom? Why? What happens to Moses when he is returned to his plantation? What does this say about Moses' character? What does it say about Celeste's character?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes from the novel:
3) Freed Slaves Owning Slaves
4) Extramarital Affairs
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)