|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
2. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
3. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
4. Who falls in love with Saskia, making life infinitely easier for Counsel Skiffington?
5. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
2. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
3. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
4. How is Augustus killed?
5. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
6. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
7. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
8. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
9. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
10. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss morality. What is morality? Are moral issues black and white? Should people own slaves? Should only whites own slaves? Should only black own slaves? Does it make more sense, morally, for a black to own a slave? Why or why not? Should slaves supervise and punish one another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William Robbins' affair with a black woman. Why does Robbins have this affair? Why does Robbins hide this mistress off of his plantation? Why does he father children with her? How does Robbins care for the children? Why does the mistress twice try to run away? Where does she go? How does Robbins find her? How does Robbins feel about his mistress? Why does he beat her, leaving her disfigured?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)