|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
2. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
3. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
4. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
5. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
2. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
3. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
4. How does John Skiffington get killed?
5. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
6. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
7. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
8. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
9. How does Mildred get killed?
10. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the treatment of slaves in this novel. Who treated the slaves worse, the white plantation owners, the white lawmen, the black slave owners, or the slave overseers? What are the differences between the various treatment of the slaves? Who thought they treated the slaves better? Did they? Why or why not? Is it possible to treat a slave kindly? Should slaves have been freed by their black owners? Is it more morally corrupt for a freed slave to own a slave than a white man who has always been free? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)