|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
2. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
3. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
4. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
5. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
2. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
3. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
4. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
5. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
6. How does Mildred get killed?
7. How does John Skiffington get killed?
8. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
9. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
10. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Caldonia has the choice to free or continue owning her slaves. Which does she choose and why?
2) Caldonia's mother stresses that slaves are a legacy. Discuss this opinion.
3) Calvin, Caldonia's twin brother, wants to free the slaves. Discuss why and how his opinion impacts his actions throughout the novel
Essay Topic 2
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes from the novel:
3) Freed Slaves Owning Slaves
4) Extramarital Affairs
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)