|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
2. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
3. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
4. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
5. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
2. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
3. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
4. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
5. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
6. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
7. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
8. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
9. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
10. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry Townsend. Who are Henry's parents? Why did they work to free him? Who is Henry closer to, his parents or his former owner? Why does Henry look up to his former owner? Why does Henry disregard the opinions of his parents? Why does Henry have a falling out with his parents? Does Henry look to his former owner as a parent?
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)