|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
2. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
3. Who is Ray Topps?
4. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
5. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does John Skiffington get killed?
2. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
3. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
4. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
5. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
6. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
7. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
8. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
9. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
10. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Religious morality versus extramarital affairs.
2) The morality of the slaves versus the morality of the slave owners.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)