|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
2. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
3. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
4. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
5. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
2. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
3. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
4. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
5. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
6. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
7. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
8. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
9. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
10. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Elias. Why did Elias want to run away when Henry Townsend first bought him? What caused him to settle down? Who did Elias marry and how did she influence his behavior? Did her influence continue as Elias grew older? Why was Elisa made overseer of the plantation? Was this a good choice? Was it hypocritical of Elias to accept the position after her fought so hard to be free? Why did Elias' wife disagree with his decision to become overseer?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)