|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
2. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
3. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
4. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
5. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
2. How does John Skiffington get killed?
3. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
4. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
5. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
6. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
7. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
8. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
9. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
10. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)