|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
2. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
3. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
4. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
5. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
2. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
3. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
4. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
5. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
6. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
7. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
8. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
9. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
10. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of slaves in this novel. Who treated the slaves worse, the white plantation owners, the white lawmen, the black slave owners, or the slave overseers? What are the differences between the various treatment of the slaves? Who thought they treated the slaves better? Did they? Why or why not? Is it possible to treat a slave kindly? Should slaves have been freed by their black owners? Is it more morally corrupt for a freed slave to own a slave than a white man who has always been free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following themes from the novel:
3) Freed Slaves Owning Slaves
4) Extramarital Affairs
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)