|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Caldonia begin making silent visits to the slave quarters every night?
2. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
3. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
4. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
5. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
2. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
3. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
4. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
5. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
6. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
7. How does John Skiffington get killed?
8. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
9. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
10. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)