|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
2. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
3. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
4. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
5. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
2. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
3. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
4. How is Augustus killed?
5. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
6. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
7. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
8. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
9. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
10. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Religious morality versus extramarital affairs.
2) The morality of the slaves versus the morality of the slave owners.
Essay Topic 2
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William Robbins' affair with a black woman. Why does Robbins have this affair? Why does Robbins hide this mistress off of his plantation? Why does he father children with her? How does Robbins care for the children? Why does the mistress twice try to run away? Where does she go? How does Robbins find her? How does Robbins feel about his mistress? Why does he beat her, leaving her disfigured?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)