|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
2. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
3. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
4. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
5. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
2. How does John Skiffington get killed?
3. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
4. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
5. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
6. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
7. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
8. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
9. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
10. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss morality. What is morality? Are moral issues black and white? Should people own slaves? Should only whites own slaves? Should only black own slaves? Does it make more sense, morally, for a black to own a slave? Why or why not? Should slaves supervise and punish one another? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)