|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What threat does Robbins level on Philamena when she returns from Richmond after her second attempt to run away?
2. What does Skiffington think should be done with Minerva, his slave, if the family were to move?
3. Who is Skiffington's future bride?
4. How many children do Caldonia and Henry have?
5. What does Augustus Townsend do to make his living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
2. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
3. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
4. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
5. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
6. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
7. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
8. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
9. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
10. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Counsel Skiffington. Who is Counsel? What happens to Counsel's family? Where does Counsel go after this? Why? What happens to Counsel on his journey? What is unusual about these events? How does Counsel respond? Where does Counsel eventually settle? Why? How does Counsel perform at his new job? Is his reaction to pleas for help from the black community favorable? How does this reaction reflect Counsel's personal opinion of blacks? Why does Counsel kill his cousin?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
This section contains 2,018 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)