|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
2. Who are Louis and Dora?
3. What do Henry's parents often bring him on their Sunday visits to Robbins' plantation?
4. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
5. Who stops Augustus as he makes his way home after delivery furniture to a client?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
2. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
3. What gift are John Skiffington and his wife, Winifred, given at their wedding?
4. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
5. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
6. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
7. Where is Henry buried?
8. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
9. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
10. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Henry Townsend. Who are Henry's parents? Why did they work to free him? Who is Henry closer to, his parents or his former owner? Why does Henry look up to his former owner? Why does Henry disregard the opinions of his parents? Why does Henry have a falling out with his parents? Does Henry look to his former owner as a parent?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)