|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Calvin swear he would do with his own slaves if his mother was not standing in his way?
2. Who is Philomena?
3. Where does Skiffington meet his future bride?
4. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
5. What place does Calvin dream of going to, in hopes that his passions will be reciprocated?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
2. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
3. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
4. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
5. Who is Augustus Townsend?
6. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
7. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
8. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
9. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
10. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Augustus and Mildred Townsend. How do they feel about slavery? From where do their opinions come? Why do they disapprove of their son's decision to own slaves? What happens when they learn of this decision? Why do Augustus and Mildred stay in the slave quarters when they visit their son? Why do they not stay in the house? Why are they not proud of their son's achievements? Should they be?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)