|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
2. Why does Robbins continuously raise the asking price for Henry as Augustus attempts to buy his freedom?
3. Who digs Henry's grave before the funeral service?
4. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
5. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
2. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
3. Where is Henry buried?
4. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
5. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
6. Who is Augustus Townsend?
7. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
8. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
9. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
10. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Counsel Skiffington. Who is Counsel? What happens to Counsel's family? Where does Counsel go after this? Why? What happens to Counsel on his journey? What is unusual about these events? How does Counsel respond? Where does Counsel eventually settle? Why? How does Counsel perform at his new job? Is his reaction to pleas for help from the black community favorable? How does this reaction reflect Counsel's personal opinion of blacks? Why does Counsel kill his cousin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William Robbins' affair with a black woman. Why does Robbins have this affair? Why does Robbins hide this mistress off of his plantation? Why does he father children with her? How does Robbins care for the children? Why does the mistress twice try to run away? Where does she go? How does Robbins find her? How does Robbins feel about his mistress? Why does he beat her, leaving her disfigured?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)