|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
2. With whom does Skiffington side when the feud over Travis' cow gets out of hand?
3. From whom does Henry buy his first piece of land and his first slave?
4. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
5. What is John Skiffington's job at the time he decides to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
2. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
3. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
4. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
5. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
6. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
7. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
8. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
9. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
10. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Augustus and Mildred Townsend. How do they feel about slavery? From where do their opinions come? Why do they disapprove of their son's decision to own slaves? What happens when they learn of this decision? Why do Augustus and Mildred stay in the slave quarters when they visit their son? Why do they not stay in the house? Why are they not proud of their son's achievements? Should they be?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry Townsend. Who are Henry's parents? Why did they work to free him? Who is Henry closer to, his parents or his former owner? Why does Henry look up to his former owner? Why does Henry disregard the opinions of his parents? Why does Henry have a falling out with his parents? Does Henry look to his former owner as a parent?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)