|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Augustus as he makes his way home after delivery furniture to a client?
2. What fear causes Clara to call Skiffington to her home?
3. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
4. What do Henry's parents often bring him on their Sunday visits to Robbins' plantation?
5. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
2. Where is Henry buried?
3. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
4. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
5. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
6. Who is Augustus Townsend?
7. Who is Luke? How does he die?
8. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
9. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
10. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Caldonia has the choice to free or continue owning her slaves. Which does she choose and why?
2) Caldonia's mother stresses that slaves are a legacy. Discuss this opinion.
3) Calvin, Caldonia's twin brother, wants to free the slaves. Discuss why and how his opinion impacts his actions throughout the novel
Essay Topic 2
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry Townsend. Who are Henry's parents? Why did they work to free him? Who is Henry closer to, his parents or his former owner? Why does Henry look up to his former owner? Why does Henry disregard the opinions of his parents? Why does Henry have a falling out with his parents? Does Henry look to his former owner as a parent?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)