|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
2. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
3. What do the slaves on Townsend Plantation fear most when they hear of the death of Henry Townsend?
4. What fear causes Clara to call Skiffington to her home?
5. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
2. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
4. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
5. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
6. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
7. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
8. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
9. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
10. Who is Augustus Townsend?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William Robbins. Who is Robbins? Why does he have so much power in Manchester County? Who is Robbins to Henry? What is their relationship like? Why is Robbins more of a mentor to Henry than his own father? Why did Robbins free Henry's father? Why did he refuse to free Henry? What does this say about their relationship? Why does Robbins eventually free Henry? How does their relationship change? How does their relationship remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Caldonia begin an affair with Moses? Does Caldonia love Moses? Why or why not? How does learning of Moses' treatment of Celeste affect Caldonia's opinion of Moses? What does Moses do with his family when he begins an affair with Caldonia? Why? What does Skiffington believe Moses has done with his family? Why? Why does Moses barge in on Caldonia and ask why she has not freed him? Why does Moses believe Caldonia should free him? Will she? Why does Moses run away? Where does he go?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Caldonia has the choice to free or continue owning her slaves. Which does she choose and why?
2) Caldonia's mother stresses that slaves are a legacy. Discuss this opinion.
3) Calvin, Caldonia's twin brother, wants to free the slaves. Discuss why and how his opinion impacts his actions throughout the novel
This section contains 2,149 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)