|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
2. Who does Caldonia believe is a better master to slaves--a white man or a black man?
3. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
4. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
5. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
2. Who dies in Chapter 1?
3. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
4. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
5. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
6. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
7. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
8. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
9. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
10. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William Robbins' affair with a black woman. Why does Robbins have this affair? Why does Robbins hide this mistress off of his plantation? Why does he father children with her? How does Robbins care for the children? Why does the mistress twice try to run away? Where does she go? How does Robbins find her? How does Robbins feel about his mistress? Why does he beat her, leaving her disfigured?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Henry Townsend. Who are Henry's parents? Why did they work to free him? Who is Henry closer to, his parents or his former owner? Why does Henry look up to his former owner? Why does Henry disregard the opinions of his parents? Why does Henry have a falling out with his parents? Does Henry look to his former owner as a parent?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)