Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
2. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
3. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
4. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
5. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
2. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
3. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
4. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
5. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
6. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
7. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
8. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
9. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
10. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
Who is Mildred Townsend? Why does Skiffington go to her house to look for Moses? Is Moses there? Why? What happens to Mildred during the search for Moses? Why? Is it an accident? Why is Moses taken into custody? Why is it suggested Moses be hobbled? Is he? By whom? Why? What happens to Moses when he is returned to his plantation? What does this say about Moses' character? What does it say about Celeste's character?
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
Discuss one of the following themes from the novel:
3) Freed Slaves Owning Slaves
4) Extramarital Affairs
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)