Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
2. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
3. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
4. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
5. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
2. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
3. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
4. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
5. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
6. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
7. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
8. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
9. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
10. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
Essay Topic 1
Why does Henry Townsend own slaves? Why does this decision cause a rift in Henry's relationship with his father? Why does Henry's father refuse to stay in his son's house while visiting the plantation? Why does Henry's parents relate better to the slave than their son? Why does Henry relate better to his former owner than the slaves? What does Henry vow to do when he begins owning slaves? How does this make Henry different from his former owner?
Essay Topic 2
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Religious morality versus extramarital affairs.
2) The morality of the slaves versus the morality of the slave owners.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)