|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maude's husband, Tilmon, want to do with their slaves after the death of their third child?
2. To whom does Revend Moffett preach obedience?
3. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
4. Who are Henry's favorite authors?
5. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
2. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
3. Who is Augustus Townsend?
4. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
5. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
6. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
7. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
8. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
9. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
10. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes from the novel:
3) Freed Slaves Owning Slaves
4) Extramarital Affairs
Essay Topic 2
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William Robbins. Who is Robbins? Why does he have so much power in Manchester County? Who is Robbins to Henry? What is their relationship like? Why is Robbins more of a mentor to Henry than his own father? Why did Robbins free Henry's father? Why did he refuse to free Henry? What does this say about their relationship? Why does Robbins eventually free Henry? How does their relationship change? How does their relationship remain the same?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)