|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
2. What place does Calvin dream of going to, in hopes that his passions will be reciprocated?
3. What ailment does Robbins suffer from?
4. Why does Robbins order Moses to undress in the sheriff's office?
5. How is Luke killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Augustus Townsend?
2. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
3. How is Augustus killed?
4. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
5. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
6. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
7. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
8. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
9. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
10. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Henry Townsend own slaves? Why does this decision cause a rift in Henry's relationship with his father? Why does Henry's father refuse to stay in his son's house while visiting the plantation? Why does Henry's parents relate better to the slave than their son? Why does Henry relate better to his former owner than the slaves? What does Henry vow to do when he begins owning slaves? How does this make Henry different from his former owner?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
This section contains 2,072 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)