|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
2. Who is Moses?
3. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
4. What is John Skiffington's job at the time he decides to marry?
5. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
2. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
3. Who is Luke? How does he die?
4. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
5. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
6. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
7. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
8. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
9. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
10. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of slaves in this novel. Who treated the slaves worse, the white plantation owners, the white lawmen, the black slave owners, or the slave overseers? What are the differences between the various treatment of the slaves? Who thought they treated the slaves better? Did they? Why or why not? Is it possible to treat a slave kindly? Should slaves have been freed by their black owners? Is it more morally corrupt for a freed slave to own a slave than a white man who has always been free? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William Robbins. Who is Robbins? Why does he have so much power in Manchester County? Who is Robbins to Henry? What is their relationship like? Why is Robbins more of a mentor to Henry than his own father? Why did Robbins free Henry's father? Why did he refuse to free Henry? What does this say about their relationship? Why does Robbins eventually free Henry? How does their relationship change? How does their relationship remain the same?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Augustus and Mildred Townsend. How do they feel about slavery? From where do their opinions come? Why do they disapprove of their son's decision to own slaves? What happens when they learn of this decision? Why do Augustus and Mildred stay in the slave quarters when they visit their son? Why do they not stay in the house? Why are they not proud of their son's achievements? Should they be?
This section contains 2,126 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)