|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robbins continuously raise the asking price for Henry as Augustus attempts to buy his freedom?
2. What does the Act of 1806 require?
3. Why do the large landowners of Manchester County become unhappy with Sheriff Patterson?
4. How many children do Caldonia and Henry have?
5. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Augustus Townsend?
2. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
3. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
4. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
5. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
6. What gift are John Skiffington and his wife, Winifred, given at their wedding?
7. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
8. Who dies in Chapter 1?
9. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
10. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William Robbins. Who is Robbins? Why does he have so much power in Manchester County? Who is Robbins to Henry? What is their relationship like? Why is Robbins more of a mentor to Henry than his own father? Why did Robbins free Henry's father? Why did he refuse to free Henry? What does this say about their relationship? Why does Robbins eventually free Henry? How does their relationship change? How does their relationship remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Augustus and Mildred Townsend. How do they feel about slavery? From where do their opinions come? Why do they disapprove of their son's decision to own slaves? What happens when they learn of this decision? Why do Augustus and Mildred stay in the slave quarters when they visit their son? Why do they not stay in the house? Why are they not proud of their son's achievements? Should they be?
Essay Topic 3
Why is Augustus stopped on the road as he travels home after selling some furniture? Who stops him? What do they ask to see? What do they do with this item? Why? Who comes across this scene? What do these people offer the newcomers? Why is Augustus sold into slavery? Is there a law against this? What is the law? How might it help Augustus? Why does this law not help Augustus at this point?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)