|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Luke killed?
2. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
3. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
4. Who is Moses?
5. What do Henry's parents often bring him on their Sunday visits to Robbins' plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
2. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
3. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
4. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
5. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
6. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
7. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
8. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
9. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
10. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Counsel Skiffington. Who is Counsel? What happens to Counsel's family? Where does Counsel go after this? Why? What happens to Counsel on his journey? What is unusual about these events? How does Counsel respond? Where does Counsel eventually settle? Why? How does Counsel perform at his new job? Is his reaction to pleas for help from the black community favorable? How does this reaction reflect Counsel's personal opinion of blacks? Why does Counsel kill his cousin?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Caldonia has the choice to free or continue owning her slaves. Which does she choose and why?
2) Caldonia's mother stresses that slaves are a legacy. Discuss this opinion.
3) Calvin, Caldonia's twin brother, wants to free the slaves. Discuss why and how his opinion impacts his actions throughout the novel
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)