|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who digs Henry's grave before the funeral service?
2. What unusual demand does Moses make to Robbins?
3. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
4. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
5. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
2. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
3. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
4. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
5. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
6. Who dies in Chapter 1?
7. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
8. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
9. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
10. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss William Robbins. Who is Robbins? Why does he have so much power in Manchester County? Who is Robbins to Henry? What is their relationship like? Why is Robbins more of a mentor to Henry than his own father? Why did Robbins free Henry's father? Why did he refuse to free Henry? What does this say about their relationship? Why does Robbins eventually free Henry? How does their relationship change? How does their relationship remain the same?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss William Robbins' affair with a black woman. Why does Robbins have this affair? Why does Robbins hide this mistress off of his plantation? Why does he father children with her? How does Robbins care for the children? Why does the mistress twice try to run away? Where does she go? How does Robbins find her? How does Robbins feel about his mistress? Why does he beat her, leaving her disfigured?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)