|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Loretta suggest fieldwork be suspended in the aftermath of Henry Townsend's death?
2. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
3. What does Skiffington often stop to do while traveling on horseback?
4. What did Maude's husband, Tilmon, want to do with their slaves after the death of their third child?
5. How does Augustus react to the news that Henry has become a slave owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
2. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
3. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
4. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
5. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
6. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
7. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
8. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
9. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
10. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Caldonia has the choice to free or continue owning her slaves. Which does she choose and why?
2) Caldonia's mother stresses that slaves are a legacy. Discuss this opinion.
3) Calvin, Caldonia's twin brother, wants to free the slaves. Discuss why and how his opinion impacts his actions throughout the novel
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)