|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry attempt to choke during a disagreement over dinner at Fern's one Sunday night?
2. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
3. Who is Clara Martin?
4. What subject does Anderson Frazier generally write about?
5. Who takes in Stamford to help heal his wounds after a fight with his cabin mate, Clement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
2. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
3. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
4. How is Augustus killed?
5. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
6. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
7. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
8. Who is Luke? How does he die?
9. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
10. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following themes from the novel:
3) Freed Slaves Owning Slaves
4) Extramarital Affairs
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Religious morality versus extramarital affairs.
2) The morality of the slaves versus the morality of the slave owners.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
This section contains 2,033 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)