|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
2. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
3. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
4. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
5. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
2. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
3. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
4. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
5. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
6. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
7. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
8. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
9. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
10. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Elias. Why did Elias want to run away when Henry Townsend first bought him? What caused him to settle down? Who did Elias marry and how did she influence his behavior? Did her influence continue as Elias grew older? Why was Elisa made overseer of the plantation? Was this a good choice? Was it hypocritical of Elias to accept the position after her fought so hard to be free? Why did Elias' wife disagree with his decision to become overseer?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
This section contains 2,096 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)