|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Fern's mother taught her about the man she should marry?
2. What does Maude keep pressuring Caldonia to do in Chapter 6?
3. Who stops Augustus as he makes his way home after delivery furniture to a client?
4. Who is Moses?
5. Why does Travis decide he wants the cow returned to him after he has already sold it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
2. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
3. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
4. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
5. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
6. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
7. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
8. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
9. Who is Augustus Townsend?
10. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss William Robbins' affair with a black woman. Why does Robbins have this affair? Why does Robbins hide this mistress off of his plantation? Why does he father children with her? How does Robbins care for the children? Why does the mistress twice try to run away? Where does she go? How does Robbins find her? How does Robbins feel about his mistress? Why does he beat her, leaving her disfigured?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of blacks owning slaves. Why would a black person own slaves? What purpose did the slaves fulfill? What other options did freed slaves have other than owning slaves? Why did some freed slaves choose to own slaves? How did this give them power? How did this change their standing in the community? Were blacks allowed to buy slaves at public auctions? Why or why not? How did freed slaves obtain slaves?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)