|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the large landowners of Manchester County become unhappy with Sheriff Patterson?
2. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
3. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
4. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
5. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Henry buried?
2. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
3. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
4. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
5. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
6. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
7. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
8. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
9. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
10. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Henry Townsend own slaves? Why does this decision cause a rift in Henry's relationship with his father? Why does Henry's father refuse to stay in his son's house while visiting the plantation? Why does Henry's parents relate better to the slave than their son? Why does Henry relate better to his former owner than the slaves? What does Henry vow to do when he begins owning slaves? How does this make Henry different from his former owner?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)