|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
2. Who is Luke?
3. Why does Loretta suggest fieldwork be suspended in the aftermath of Henry Townsend's death?
4. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
5. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
2. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
3. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
4. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
5. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
6. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
7. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
8. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
9. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
10. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Caldonia begin an affair with Moses? Does Caldonia love Moses? Why or why not? How does learning of Moses' treatment of Celeste affect Caldonia's opinion of Moses? What does Moses do with his family when he begins an affair with Caldonia? Why? What does Skiffington believe Moses has done with his family? Why? Why does Moses barge in on Caldonia and ask why she has not freed him? Why does Moses believe Caldonia should free him? Will she? Why does Moses run away? Where does he go?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Religious morality versus extramarital affairs.
2) The morality of the slaves versus the morality of the slave owners.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Augustus and Mildred Townsend. How do they feel about slavery? From where do their opinions come? Why do they disapprove of their son's decision to own slaves? What happens when they learn of this decision? Why do Augustus and Mildred stay in the slave quarters when they visit their son? Why do they not stay in the house? Why are they not proud of their son's achievements? Should they be?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)