|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object is Elias whittling in Chapter 1?
2. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
3. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
4. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
5. Who are Henry's favorite authors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
2. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
3. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
4. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
5. Where is Henry buried?
6. Who dies in Chapter 1?
7. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
8. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
9. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
10. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Elias. Why did Elias want to run away when Henry Townsend first bought him? What caused him to settle down? Who did Elias marry and how did she influence his behavior? Did her influence continue as Elias grew older? Why was Elisa made overseer of the plantation? Was this a good choice? Was it hypocritical of Elias to accept the position after her fought so hard to be free? Why did Elias' wife disagree with his decision to become overseer?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following themes from the novel:
3) Freed Slaves Owning Slaves
4) Extramarital Affairs
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Counsel Skiffington. Who is Counsel? What happens to Counsel's family? Where does Counsel go after this? Why? What happens to Counsel on his journey? What is unusual about these events? How does Counsel respond? Where does Counsel eventually settle? Why? How does Counsel perform at his new job? Is his reaction to pleas for help from the black community favorable? How does this reaction reflect Counsel's personal opinion of blacks? Why does Counsel kill his cousin?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)