|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
2. In whose crate does Rita hide in order to attempt her escape?
3. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
4. What object is Elias whittling in Chapter 1?
5. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
2. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
3. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
4. Who is Luke? How does he die?
5. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
6. Who dies in Chapter 1?
7. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
8. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
9. Who is Augustus Townsend?
10. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Elias. Why did Elias want to run away when Henry Townsend first bought him? What caused him to settle down? Who did Elias marry and how did she influence his behavior? Did her influence continue as Elias grew older? Why was Elisa made overseer of the plantation? Was this a good choice? Was it hypocritical of Elias to accept the position after her fought so hard to be free? Why did Elias' wife disagree with his decision to become overseer?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Caldonia begin an affair with Moses? Does Caldonia love Moses? Why or why not? How does learning of Moses' treatment of Celeste affect Caldonia's opinion of Moses? What does Moses do with his family when he begins an affair with Caldonia? Why? What does Skiffington believe Moses has done with his family? Why? Why does Moses barge in on Caldonia and ask why she has not freed him? Why does Moses believe Caldonia should free him? Will she? Why does Moses run away? Where does he go?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Mildred Townsend? Why does Skiffington go to her house to look for Moses? Is Moses there? Why? What happens to Mildred during the search for Moses? Why? Is it an accident? Why is Moses taken into custody? Why is it suggested Moses be hobbled? Is he? By whom? Why? What happens to Moses when he is returned to his plantation? What does this say about Moses' character? What does it say about Celeste's character?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)