|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is unusual about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
2. Who does Caldonia believe is a better master to slaves--a white man or a black man?
3. What fear causes Clara to call Skiffington to her home?
4. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
5. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Augustus Townsend?
2. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
3. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
4. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
5. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
6. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
7. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
8. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
9. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
10. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Fern? Why does it never occur to Fern to pass as white? Why does Fern remain married to Ramsey? What kind of husband is Ramsey? What is Ramsey's favorite pastime? Does this make Ramsey a bad person? Is Ramsey bad to Fern? What does Fern learn from a slave about Ramsey's fidelity? How does this affect Fern's marriage? Why? How does Fern feel about being a slave owner? Why does she not feel shame at owning slaves? Should she?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Moses. Who is Moses? Why does Moses resent his owner? How is this reflected in Moses' behavior? When Moses is made overseer, how does he treat the other slaves? Why? Why does Moses make Celeste work in the fields even though she is sick and tired with her pregnancy? What is the result? How does Moses feel about this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Augustus and Mildred Townsend. How do they feel about slavery? From where do their opinions come? Why do they disapprove of their son's decision to own slaves? What happens when they learn of this decision? Why do Augustus and Mildred stay in the slave quarters when they visit their son? Why do they not stay in the house? Why are they not proud of their son's achievements? Should they be?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)