|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
2. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
3. What does Skiffington think should be done with Minerva, his slave, if the family were to move?
4. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
5. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
2. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
3. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
4. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
5. Where is Henry buried?
6. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
7. Who is Augustus Townsend?
8. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
9. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
10. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Elias. Why did Elias want to run away when Henry Townsend first bought him? What caused him to settle down? Who did Elias marry and how did she influence his behavior? Did her influence continue as Elias grew older? Why was Elisa made overseer of the plantation? Was this a good choice? Was it hypocritical of Elias to accept the position after her fought so hard to be free? Why did Elias' wife disagree with his decision to become overseer?
Essay Topic 2
Why does Henry Townsend own slaves? Why does this decision cause a rift in Henry's relationship with his father? Why does Henry's father refuse to stay in his son's house while visiting the plantation? Why does Henry's parents relate better to the slave than their son? Why does Henry relate better to his former owner than the slaves? What does Henry vow to do when he begins owning slaves? How does this make Henry different from his former owner?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Caldonia begin an affair with Moses? Does Caldonia love Moses? Why or why not? How does learning of Moses' treatment of Celeste affect Caldonia's opinion of Moses? What does Moses do with his family when he begins an affair with Caldonia? Why? What does Skiffington believe Moses has done with his family? Why? Why does Moses barge in on Caldonia and ask why she has not freed him? Why does Moses believe Caldonia should free him? Will she? Why does Moses run away? Where does he go?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)