|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
2. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
3. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
4. Why do Alice's owners put up with her odd behavior?
5. Who are Henry's favorite authors?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
2. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
3. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
4. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
5. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
6. Who is Augustus Townsend?
7. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
8. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
9. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
10. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Mildred Townsend? Why does Skiffington go to her house to look for Moses? Is Moses there? Why? What happens to Mildred during the search for Moses? Why? Is it an accident? Why is Moses taken into custody? Why is it suggested Moses be hobbled? Is he? By whom? Why? What happens to Moses when he is returned to his plantation? What does this say about Moses' character? What does it say about Celeste's character?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Counsel Skiffington. Who is Counsel? What happens to Counsel's family? Where does Counsel go after this? Why? What happens to Counsel on his journey? What is unusual about these events? How does Counsel respond? Where does Counsel eventually settle? Why? How does Counsel perform at his new job? Is his reaction to pleas for help from the black community favorable? How does this reaction reflect Counsel's personal opinion of blacks? Why does Counsel kill his cousin?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following, citing references from the book:
1) Caldonia has the choice to free or continue owning her slaves. Which does she choose and why?
2) Caldonia's mother stresses that slaves are a legacy. Discuss this opinion.
3) Calvin, Caldonia's twin brother, wants to free the slaves. Discuss why and how his opinion impacts his actions throughout the novel
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)