Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
2. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
3. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
4. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
5. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
2. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
3. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
4. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
5. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
6. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
7. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
8. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
9. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
10. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Henry Townsend. Who are Henry's parents? Why did they work to free him? Who is Henry closer to, his parents or his former owner? Why does Henry look up to his former owner? Why does Henry disregard the opinions of his parents? Why does Henry have a falling out with his parents? Does Henry look to his former owner as a parent?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the underground railroad. What was the underground railroad? Who did it help? Was it dangerous? Who was in the most danger? What evidence of the railroad is found in this novel? Who was working the underground railroad in this novel? Why? Were these people caught? Why or why not? Who might these people have helped? What evidence is there?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Skiffington. Who is Skiffington? What is remarkable about Skiffington's religious beliefs? Why? For whom does Skiffington work before he becomes sheriff? Why does Skiffington become sheriff? What does Skiffington do different from the earlier sheriff? Does this make things better or worse? Why? What is Skiffington's opinion of slavery? Why does Skiffington become a slave owner? How does Skiffington feel about his slave?
This section contains 2,096 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)