|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) The flu.
(b) Small pox.
(c) A headache.
(d) A toothache.
2. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The moment an investment goes bad.
(b) The point at which a food spoils.
(c) Fragility of human life.
(d) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
3. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
(a) Stories of how Henry spoke fondly of her all through their marriage.
(b) Stories of how he would treat her if she were his wife.
(c) Stories of how Henry built the house for her.
(d) Stories of how the slaves are building a rebellion against her.
4. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
(a) Gilly Patterson, his former boss.
(b) Harry Sanderson, his liaison in Richmond.
(c) Mildred Townsend, a freed slave.
(d) William Robbins, a local landowner.
5. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
(a) That the missing slaves will kill him in his sleep.
(b) That the missing slaves will be killed by his patrollers.
(c) That Robbins will lose faith in him like he did Patterson.
(d) That Caldonia will move to have him replaced as sheriff for not finding her slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives food and shelter to Counsel when he reaches Merryville, Louisiana?
2. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
3. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
4. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
5. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
2. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
3. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
4. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
5. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
6. How is Augustus killed?
7. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
8. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
9. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
10. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)