|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
(a) To not tell anyone about the treasure Counsel believes is still hidden in the house.
(b) To not tell anyone that Counsel killed Mildred Townsend for her treasures.
(c) To not tell anyone that the slave patrol sold Augustus Townsend into slavery.
(d) To not tell anyone Counsel killed John Skiffington.
2. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
(b) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
(c) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(d) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
3. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
4. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
5. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
(b) Black Plague.
(c) The flu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
2. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
3. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
4. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
5. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
2. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
3. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
4. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
5. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
6. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
7. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
8. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
9. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
10. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)