|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
2. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
(a) Five gold bowls.
(b) Five twenty dollar gold pieces.
(c) Five twenty dollar bills.
(d) Five silver rings.
3. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
(a) Augustus Townsend.
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
4. Who gives food and shelter to Counsel when he reaches Merryville, Louisiana?
(a) The Morris family.
(b) The Travis family.
(c) The Elton family.
(d) The Jenkins family.
5. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
2. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
3. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
4. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
5. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Augustus killed?
2. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
3. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
4. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
5. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
6. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
7. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
8. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
9. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
10. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
This section contains 915 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)