|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
(a) Barnum Kinsey.
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(c) William Robbins.
2. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
(a) A wagon train.
(b) A militia fighting Mexicans.
(c) A group of immigrants.
(d) A group of fugitive slaves.
3. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
(a) Oden is an Indian.
(b) Oden is mentally impaired.
(c) Oden is a freed slave.
(d) Oden is a criminal.
4. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
(a) Hillard Uster.
(b) Wilson Calhenny.
(c) Morris Calhenny.
(d) William Robbins.
5. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
2. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
3. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
4. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
5. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
2. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
3. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
4. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
5. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
6. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
7. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
8. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
9. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
10. How does Mildred get killed?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)