|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
(a) That Caldonia will move to have him replaced as sheriff for not finding her slaves.
(b) That the missing slaves will kill him in his sleep.
(c) That Robbins will lose faith in him like he did Patterson.
(d) That the missing slaves will be killed by his patrollers.
2. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
3. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The moment an investment goes bad.
(b) The point at which a food spoils.
(c) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
(d) Fragility of human life.
4. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
5. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
(b) Demand his freedom.
(c) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
(d) Return to Virginia.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
2. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
3. Who is Ray Topps?
4. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
5. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
2. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
3. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
4. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
5. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
6. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
7. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
8. How is Augustus killed?
9. How does John Skiffington get killed?
10. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)