|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
(b) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(c) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
(d) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
2. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Poor whites.
(b) Minorities of all racial backgrounds.
(c) Freed blacks.
(d) Runaway slaves.
3. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Return to Virginia.
(b) Demand his freedom.
(c) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
(d) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
4. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
(a) Stories of how the slaves are building a rebellion against her.
(b) Stories of how Henry built the house for her.
(c) Stories of how he would treat her if she were his wife.
(d) Stories of how Henry spoke fondly of her all through their marriage.
5. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
Short Answer Questions
1. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
2. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
3. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
4. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
5. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
2. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
3. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
4. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
5. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
6. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
7. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
8. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
9. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
10. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)