|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(a) South Carolina.
(d) North Carolina.
2. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
3. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
(a) She dies and they have a nice, impromtu funeral for her on the side of the road.
(b) She becomes ill and is left with some racist slave patrollers on the side of the road.
(c) She dies and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(d) She breaks a leg and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
4. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
(b) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(c) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
(d) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
5. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
(a) Moses is just mean.
(b) Moses is angry at the rumors being told about him and wants to punish everyone.
(c) Moses dislikes this sick person and would be happy to see them die.
(d) Moses does not believe the person is telling the truth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gives food and shelter to Counsel when he reaches Merryville, Louisiana?
2. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
3. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
4. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
5. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
2. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
3. How does John Skiffington get killed?
4. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
5. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
6. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
7. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
8. How does Mildred get killed?
9. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
10. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)