|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
(a) To make him a paid employee.
(b) To sell him.
(c) To move him into the main house.
(d) To free him.
2. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
3. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from England.
(b) An immigrant from Lyberia.
(c) An immigrant from Ireland.
(d) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
4. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
(a) Five silver rings.
(b) Five twenty dollar bills.
(c) Five twenty dollar gold pieces.
(d) Five gold bowls.
5. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
(a) A horse and buggy carving Moses gave her.
(b) A horse Elias carved for her.
(c) A dress made for her dead baby sister.
(d) The doll Elias carved for her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
2. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
3. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
4. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
5. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
2. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
3. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
4. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
5. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
6. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
7. How is Augustus killed?
8. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
9. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
10. How does Mildred get killed?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)