|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
(b) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
(c) That Ramsey cheats on her.
(d) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
2. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One month.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
3. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
(c) Mental illness.
4. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
(a) Caldonia Townsend's.
(b) Mildred Townsend's.
(c) Gilly Patterson's.
(d) William Robbins'.
5. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
(a) Morris Calhenny.
(b) Hillard Uster.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Wilson Calhenny.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
2. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
3. How does Topps define perishment?
4. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
5. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
2. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
3. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
4. How does John Skiffington get killed?
5. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
6. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
7. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
8. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
9. How is Augustus killed?
10. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)