|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Runaway slaves.
(b) Freed blacks.
(c) Minorities of all racial backgrounds.
(d) Poor whites.
2. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
3. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
4. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
5. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
2. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
3. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
4. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
5. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
2. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
3. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
4. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
5. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
6. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
7. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
8. How does Mildred get killed?
9. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
10. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)