|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
2. Why does Caldonia begin making silent visits to the slave quarters every night?
(a) To possibly prevent any more runaways.
(b) To keep her loneliness and grief at bay.
(c) To check on the health of slaves who have recently given birth.
(d) To make sure Moses is treating the slaves properly.
3. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(a) South Carolina.
(d) North Carolina.
4. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(c) New York.
(d) Manchester County.
5. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
(a) Alice, Elias, and Celeste.
(b) Alice, Louis, and Calvin.
(c) Alice, Pricilla, and Jamie.
(d) Alice, Loretta, and Bennett.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
2. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
3. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
4. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
5. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
2. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
3. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
4. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
5. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
6. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
7. How does John Skiffington get killed?
8. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
9. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
10. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)