|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
(c) Mental illness.
2. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
(a) He claims Fern is his long lost sister.
(b) He claims Fern stole his horse.
(c) He claims Ramsey owes him five hundred dollars.
(d) He claims Ramsey stole his saddle.
3. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
(a) Moses admitted the crime.
(b) Elias came forward as a witness to the crime.
(c) No one has seen them since they disappeared and Moses has motive.
(d) Alice's body was found by the side of the road.
4. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
5. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
(b) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
(c) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(d) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
2. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
3. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
4. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
5. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
2. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
3. How is Augustus killed?
4. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
5. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
6. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
7. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
8. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
9. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
10. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)