|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
2. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
3. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
4. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
(a) A mesquite thorn.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) A nail.
(d) A rattle snake.
5. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Eight-eight miles.
(c) Eighty miles.
(d) Eighteen miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
2. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
3. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
4. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
5. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
2. How is Augustus killed?
3. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
4. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
5. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
6. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
7. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
8. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
9. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
10. How does John Skiffington get killed?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)