|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
2. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
(b) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
(c) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(d) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
3. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
(a) Henry Townsend.
(b) Minerva Skiffington.
(c) Patience Robbins.
(d) Alice Night..
4. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(b) William Robbins.
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
5. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
(a) Elias came forward as a witness to the crime.
(b) Alice's body was found by the side of the road.
(c) Moses admitted the crime.
(d) No one has seen them since they disappeared and Moses has motive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
2. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
3. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
4. Who falls in love with Saskia, making life infinitely easier for Counsel Skiffington?
5. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
2. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
3. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
4. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
5. How is Augustus killed?
6. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
7. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
8. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
9. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
10. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)