|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(a) North Carolina.
(b) South Carolina.
2. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
(b) The flu.
(d) Black Plague.
3. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) Small pox.
(b) A headache.
(c) A toothache.
(d) The flu.
4. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
(a) To free him.
(b) To move him into the main house.
(c) To sell him.
(d) To make him a paid employee.
5. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
(a) Counsel allowed the woman of the house to seduce him.
(b) Counsel stole money from their home.
(c) Counsel revealed himself to be prejudice against blacks.
(d) Counsel was caught stealing a horse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
2. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
3. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
4. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
5. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
2. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
3. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
4. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
5. What happens to Celeste that causes many of the slaves and Caldonia to begin questioning their faith in Moses?
6. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
7. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
8. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
9. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
10. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)