|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
2. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
(a) Loretta and Bennett.
(b) Louis and Calvin.
(c) Elias and Celeste.
(d) Priscilla and Jamie.
3. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
(a) He claims Ramsey stole his saddle.
(b) He claims Fern stole his horse.
(c) He claims Ramsey owes him five hundred dollars.
(d) He claims Fern is his long lost sister.
4. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
(a) To move him into the main house.
(b) To free him.
(c) To sell him.
(d) To make him a paid employee.
5. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
Short Answer Questions
1. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
2. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
3. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
4. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
5. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
2. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
3. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
4. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
5. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
6. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
7. How does John Skiffington get killed?
8. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
9. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
10. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)