|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) Small pox.
(b) The flu.
(c) A headache.
(d) A toothache.
2. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(a) Counsel Skiffington.
(c) William Robbins.
3. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
4. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(a) New York.
(c) Manchester County.
5. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
(a) Stories of how the slaves are building a rebellion against her.
(b) Stories of how he would treat her if she were his wife.
(c) Stories of how Henry built the house for her.
(d) Stories of how Henry spoke fondly of her all through their marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
2. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
3. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
4. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
5. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mildred get killed?
2. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
3. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
4. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
5. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
6. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
7. How is Augustus killed?
8. What injury results in the amputation of Jebediah's foot? How does Fern respond to this operation?
9. How does John Skiffington get killed?
10. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)