|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
(b) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
(c) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
(d) That Ramsey cheats on her.
2. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
(b) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(c) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
(d) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
3. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
(b) Sale to a new owner.
(c) Constant beatings from his owner.
(d) Jail time.
4. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
(a) A group of immigrants.
(b) A wagon train.
(c) A group of fugitive slaves.
(d) A militia fighting Mexicans.
5. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
(d) Mental illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
2. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
3. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
4. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
5. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Augustus killed?
2. Why does Counsel burn his own plantation house down in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
4. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
5. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
6. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
7. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
8. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
9. Why is Jebediah Dickinson arrested? What lie is revealed upon this arrest?
10. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)