|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
(a) Elias suffers a seizure.
(b) Celeste gives birth to a stillborn baby.
(c) Delphie has a heart attack.
(d) Gloria gives birth to a sickly baby.
2. Who is Ray Topps?
(a) An insurance man.
(b) A banker.
(c) A local merchant.
(d) A slave owner.
3. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
(a) Sheriff Skiffington.
(c) His owner, Rev. Wilbur Mann.
(d) Oden Peoples.
4. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
(a) Stamford, Delphie, and Elias.
(b) Moses, Gloria, and Clement.
(c) Gloria and Stamford.
(d) Moses, Elias, and Celeste.
5. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
(a) Travis and Oden.
(b) The slave traders.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
2. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
3. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
4. Who falls in love with Saskia, making life infinitely easier for Counsel Skiffington?
5. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Saskia Wilhelm's husband force her into prostitution? Where does Saskia end up?
2. How does John Skiffington get killed?
3. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
4. Why does a man named Hiram Jenkins want to kill Counsel after offering him shelter and food the night before?
5. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
6. Why does Moses force his way into Caldonia's house? What does he demand to know?
7. Why does Moses encourages Alice, his wife, and son to run away?
8. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
9. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
10. What object will Tessie, Elias' daughter, ask her children and grandchildren to find for her on her death bed?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)