|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
(b) William Robbins.
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) Barnum Kinsey.
2. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
(a) Gilly Patterson's.
(b) Caldonia Townsend's.
(c) William Robbins'.
(d) Mildred Townsend's.
3. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
(a) Caldonia accepts Moses' excuse and forgives him.
(b) Caldonia decides to sell Moses to another plantation.
(c) Caldonia removes Moses as overseer.
(d) Caldonia demands to be informed before Moses deals with a sick slave.
4. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
5. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
2. How much does Caldonia estimate Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie are worth based on the books Henry kept in regard to the slaves?
3. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
4. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
5. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
2. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
3. Why does Mildred not immediately report her husband missing when he does not return home from a business trip?
4. Who does Fern meet on the road as she returns home from consoling Caldonia over her loss for the past five weeks?
5. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
6. What does Caldonia buy for her slaves that she earlier rejected but now sees as an asset.
7. How is Augustus killed?
8. How does Mildred get killed?
9. As Skiffington begins to investigate the disappearance of Moses' family and Alice, what does he begin to suspect?
10. Who is pressuring Skiffington to find Caldonia's missing slaves and what temptation is adding to Skiffington's stress?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)