|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Luke killed?
(a) Luke dies from being overworked by a neighboring farmer.
(b) Luke is beaten to death by a slave patroller for being out after dark.
(c) Luke is trampled by a couple of horses.
(d) Luke is hit by lightening.
2. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
(a) A fine.
(b) Time served.
(c) Life in prison.
3. What habit does Ramsey have that causes trouble for him and for Fern?
4. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) John Skiffington.
(b) Oden Peoples.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Barnum Kinsey.
5. Who dies as his wife and teacher discuss the fate of two slaves whose owner has died?
(a) Calvin Newman.
(b) John Skiffington.
(c) Henry Townsend.
(d) William Robbins.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose crate does Rita hide in order to attempt her escape?
2. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
3. With whom does Skiffington side when the feud over Travis' cow gets out of hand?
4. What threat does Robbins level on Philamena when she returns from Richmond after her second attempt to run away?
5. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
2. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
3. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
4. Who dies in Chapter 1?
5. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
6. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
7. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
8. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
9. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
10. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)