|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
(b) On Christmas Day.
(c) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(d) On the day Henry dies.
2. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
(a) The abuse of a child.
(b) An interest in the same girl.
(c) Bitter words about a mutual friend.
(d) Lost possessions.
3. What is unusual about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
(a) Henry is the child of slaves currently owned by a neighbor.
(b) Henry was beaten by slaves.
(c) Henry is an abolitionist.
(d) Henry was once a slave himself.
4. Why do Robbins and Henry come to the sheriff's office to see Skiffington while Broussard is a prisoner there?
(a) Travis has been cruel to Henry.
(b) Travis has been cruel to Robbins.
(c) Robbins is missing a slave.
(d) Henry has been robbed.
5. Who does Fern say was the first freed slave she taught and possibly her brightest student?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
2. Who admonishes Henry to show vigilance and responsibility toward his slaves?
3. Who opens the crate and frees Rita after her forty-one hour trip East?
4. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
5. What does Caldonia swear she intends to do with the slaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
2. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
3. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
4. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
5. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
6. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
7. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
8. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
9. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
10. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)