|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Act of 1806 require?
(a) That all freed slaves leave Virginia within twelve months.
(b) That all freed slaves carry freedom papers.
(c) That all freed slaves pay extra taxes on their income.
(d) That all freed slaves register with local law enforcement.
2. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
(a) He was once a slave himself.
(b) He owned slaves.
(c) He had no money.
(d) His skin was darker than Caldonia's.
3. Who is Philomena?
(a) Robbins' personal maid.
(b) Robbins' housekeeper.
(c) Robbins' cousin.
(d) Robbins' black mistress and mother of two of his children.
4. Why do Alice's owners put up with her odd behavior?
(a) Alice is a brillant artist.
(b) Alice is the daughter of the owner's cousin.
(c) Alice is entertaining.
(d) Alice is a good worker.
5. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
(b) Life in prison.
(c) A fine.
(d) Time served.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
2. Who is Moses?
3. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
4. Who are Henry's favorite authors?
5. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
2. Who is Luke? How does he die?
3. Why does Skiffington go to Mildred's house looking for Moses.
4. What gift are John Skiffington and his wife, Winifred, given at their wedding?
5. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
6. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
7. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
8. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
9. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
10. What disease does Saskia Wilhelm contract that she exposes all the people on Counsel's plantation to?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)