|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who admonishes Henry to show vigilance and responsibility toward his slaves?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Sheriff Skiffington.
(c) Augustus Townsend.
(d) Caldonia Townsend.
2. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
(a) Owning slaves in general.
(b) Running a plantation.
(c) Selling him two slaves.
3. What do Henry's parents often bring him on their Sunday visits to Robbins' plantation?
4. What does Maude keep pressuring Caldonia to do in Chapter 6?
(a) Stop grieving and remarry.
(b) Free the slaves.
(c) Sell the plantation and the slaves.
(d) Stop grieving and make a decision regarding the slaves.
5. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
(a) He had no money.
(b) His skin was darker than Caldonia's.
(c) He owned slaves.
(d) He was once a slave himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
2. Who digs Henry's grave before the funeral service?
3. Where does Henry request he be buried?
4. What does the Act of 1806 require?
5. From whom does Henry buy his first piece of land and his first slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
2. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
3. Why does Moses force Celeste to work in the fields even though she claims to be sick?
4. Who comes to Manchester County and takes a job as a deputy with the sheriff's office? Why?
5. What does Counsel find in Mildred's house?
6. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
7. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
8. Who does Caldonia put in charge of the slaves after Moses runs away?
9. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
10. Who buys Jebediah Dickinson upon learning that he is not free, but is a slave owned by a cruel pastor?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)