|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
(a) John Skiffington.
(b) Henry Townsend.
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
2. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
(a) William Robbins' whips.
(b) Gilly Patterson's clothing.
(c) Augustus Townsend's walking sticks.
(d) John Skiffington's books.
3. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
(a) A passport.
(b) An ID badge.
(c) Freedom papers.
(d) A pass from the Townsend plantation.
4. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(b) On Christmas Day.
(c) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
(d) On the day Henry dies.
5. Why did John Skiffington leave North Carolina?
(a) To be closer to his father's relatives.
(b) To move to a state where slave ownership was legal and encouraged.
(c) His father had a dream that they should free their slaves and all the slaves of the state.
(d) To bury his mother in her home state.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Clara Martin?
2. Why does the slave, Stamford, insist on only consorting with young women rather than women his own age?
3. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
4. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
5. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
2. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
3. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
4. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
5. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
6. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
7. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
8. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
9. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
10. Who is Luke? How does he die?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)