|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
(a) To have children.
(b) To have a companion.
(c) To please his father.
(d) To obey the Bible.
2. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
(a) Henry Townsend.
(b) Oden Peoples.
(c) Clarence Wilford.
(d) Barnum Kinsey.
3. Why does the slave, Stamford, insist on only consorting with young women rather than women his own age?
(a) He believes the young ones will help make being a slave easier to stand.
(b) He believes only the young ones can excite his desires.
(c) He believes only the young ones understand his needs.
(d) He believes only the young ones can keep up with his stamina.
4. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
(a) Selling him two slaves.
(b) Owning slaves in general.
(c) Running a plantation.
5. Who are Louis and Dora?
(a) Robbins' slaves.
(b) Robbins' children with Philamena.
(c) Robbins' children with his wife.
(d) Robbins' freed servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
2. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
3. Where does Skiffington meet his future bride?
4. Who is Philomena?
5. Who takes in Stamford to help heal his wounds after a fight with his cabin mate, Clement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
2. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
3. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
4. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
5. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
6. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
7. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
8. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
9. Where is Henry buried?
10. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)