|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Alice's owners put up with her odd behavior?
(a) Alice is entertaining.
(b) Alice is a good worker.
(c) Alice is a brillant artist.
(d) Alice is the daughter of the owner's cousin.
2. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
(a) Barnum Kinsey.
(b) Henry Townsend.
(c) Oden Peoples.
(d) Clarence Wilford.
3. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
(a) To live to see slaves freed.
(b) To die soon.
(c) To die of a wasting disease.
(d) To live until he is the oldest man in the county.
4. Who is Luke?
(a) A twelve year old boy Celeste and Elias have befriended.
(b) A twelve year old slave who makes trouble on the Townsend plantation.
(c) The twelve year old son of Moses.
(d) The twelve year old son of Henry Townsend.
5. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) John Skiffington.
(c) Barnum Kinsey.
(d) Oden Peoples.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frazier's interviewee claim made slavery okay?
2. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
3. Where does Henry request he be buried?
4. What event caused the loss of county records in Manchester County?
5. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
2. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
3. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
4. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
5. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
6. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
7. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
8. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
9. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
10. Who is Augustus Townsend?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)