|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(c) Henry Townsend.
(d) John Skiffington.
2. What object is Elias whittling in Chapter 1?
(a) A horse.
(b) A whistle.
(c) A doll.
(d) A bowl.
3. Why does Robbins continuously raise the asking price for Henry as Augustus attempts to buy his freedom?
(a) Robbins does not believe any slave should be free.
(b) Robbins does not want to separate Henry from his surrogate mother, Rita.
(c) Robbins does not believe Henry should be free.
(d) Robbins cares for Henry and likes his quaility of work.
4. What do these men do to Augustus despite the fact that he is a free man?
(a) Sell him to William Robbins.
(b) Sell him to slave traders.
(c) Arrest him for breaking the Act of 1806.
(d) Arrest him for being a run away slave.
5. What word does Maude use to refer to Caldonia and Calvin's slaves?
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do Caldonia and Henry have?
2. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
3. What habit does Ramsey have that causes trouble for him and for Fern?
4. What do the slaves on Townsend Plantation fear most when they hear of the death of Henry Townsend?
5. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
2. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
3. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
4. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
5. What gift are John Skiffington and his wife, Winifred, given at their wedding?
6. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
7. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
8. Who is Luke? How does he die?
9. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
10. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)