|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is John Skiffington's job at the time he decides to marry?
(c) Slave patroller.
(d) Deputy sheriff.
2. What word does Maude use to refer to Caldonia and Calvin's slaves?
3. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
(a) A carriage for Clement.
(b) A comb for Celeste.
(c) A horse for Luke.
(d) A doll for Tessie.
4. What event caused the loss of county records in Manchester County?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A 1912 fire.
(c) The dissolution of the county.
(d) The Civil War.
5. Why did John Skiffington leave North Carolina?
(a) To bury his mother in her home state.
(b) To be closer to his father's relatives.
(c) His father had a dream that they should free their slaves and all the slaves of the state.
(d) To move to a state where slave ownership was legal and encouraged.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
2. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
3. What is unusual about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
4. Who is Luke?
5. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
2. Who is Luke? How does he die?
3. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
4. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
5. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
6. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
7. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
8. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
9. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
10. What gift are John Skiffington and his wife, Winifred, given at their wedding?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)