|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
(a) Due to the fact that he enjoys keeping slaves.
(b) Due to the fact that it is sanctioned in the Bible.
(c) Due to the fact that it is legal under Virginia law.
(d) Due to the fact that the Southern economy relies on it.
2. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
(a) To live to see slaves freed.
(b) To die of a wasting disease.
(c) To die soon.
(d) To live until he is the oldest man in the county.
3. How does Augustus react to the news that Henry has become a slave owner?
(a) Augustus tells Henry his future is looking bright.
(b) Augustus congratulates his son and celebrates this moment of glory.
(c) Augustus warns that only trouble can come from a black man acting like a white man.
(d) Augustus breaks Henry's shoulder with a walking stick.
4. What ailment does Robbins suffer from?
(d) High blood pressure.
5. What is John Skiffington's job at the time he decides to marry?
(a) Deputy sheriff.
(c) Slave patroller.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
2. Who is Clara Martin?
3. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
4. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
5. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
2. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
3. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
4. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
5. Who dies in Chapter 1?
6. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
7. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
8. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
9. Who is Luke? How does he die?
10. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)