|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Revend Moffett preach obedience?
(a) Law officials.
(b) White servants.
(c) The slaves.
(d) Indentured slaves.
2. Why does Robbins order Moses to undress in the sheriff's office?
(a) To prove he raped a girl.
(b) To humiliate him.
(c) To decide whether he is worth purchasing.
(d) To show Henry how to judge a slave.
3. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
(b) Time served.
(c) Life in prison.
(d) A fine.
4. What does Maude keep pressuring Caldonia to do in Chapter 6?
(a) Free the slaves.
(b) Sell the plantation and the slaves.
(c) Stop grieving and remarry.
(d) Stop grieving and make a decision regarding the slaves.
5. What fear causes Clara to call Skiffington to her home?
(a) That her slave, Ralph, is going to run away.
(b) That her slave, Ralph, is going to kill her.
(c) That her slave, Ralph, is dying.
(d) That her slave, Ralph, is stealing from her.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augustus react to the news that Henry has become a slave owner?
2. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
3. Why did John Skiffington leave North Carolina?
4. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
5. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
2. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
3. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
4. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
5. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
6. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
7. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
8. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
9. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
10. Who dies in Chapter 1?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)