|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Luke?
(a) The twelve year old son of Henry Townsend.
(b) The twelve year old son of Moses.
(c) A twelve year old slave who makes trouble on the Townsend plantation.
(d) A twelve year old boy Celeste and Elias have befriended.
2. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
(a) A pass from the Townsend plantation.
(b) A passport.
(c) Freedom papers.
(d) An ID badge.
3. Who is Rita?
(a) A slave who was killed by a slave owner attempting to cause fear in other runaway slaves.
(b) A slave who became surrogate mother to Henry Townsend after his parents bought their freedom.
(c) A slave who knows how to read and teaches others to read.
(d) A slave who works as personal maid to Robbins' wife.
4. What do these men do to Augustus despite the fact that he is a free man?
(a) Sell him to William Robbins.
(b) Arrest him for breaking the Act of 1806.
(c) Arrest him for being a run away slave.
(d) Sell him to slave traders.
5. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
(b) New York.
(d) Washington, D.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Augustus react to the news that Henry has become a slave owner?
2. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
3. Who are Henry's favorite authors?
4. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
5. What ailment does Robbins suffer from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
2. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
3. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
4. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
5. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
6. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
7. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
8. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
9. Who dies in Chapter 1?
10. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)