|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
(a) A middle-aged slave.
(b) A new carriage.
(c) A new house.
(d) A child slave.
2. Who are Louis and Dora?
(a) Robbins' slaves.
(b) Robbins' children with his wife.
(c) Robbins' children with Philamena.
(d) Robbins' freed servants.
3. Why does Travis decide he wants the cow returned to him after he has already sold it?
(a) It begins producing milk.
(b) It gets over the illness that should have killed it.
(c) The new owner learns the cow is expecting a calf.
(d) The new owner sells it for more money than he paid for it.
4. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
(a) An increase in the number of deputies.
(b) A military regime brought in.
(c) A slave patrol organized.
(d) A militia formed.
5. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
(a) Bribes the slave patrol to allow him to wander the countryside.
(b) Bribes Robbins to keep raising his price.
(c) Bribes the overseer so he does not have to work.
(d) Bribes the groom to give him the position.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
2. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
3. Why does Robbins continuously raise the asking price for Henry as Augustus attempts to buy his freedom?
4. For what reason does one of the jurors on Broussard's trial believe the man was convicted?
5. Who is Reverend Moffett having an affair with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
2. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
3. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
4. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
5. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
6. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
7. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
8. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
9. Who is Augustus Townsend?
10. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)