|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
(b) Runaway slaves.
2. What is unusual about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
(a) Henry is an abolitionist.
(b) Henry was beaten by slaves.
(c) Henry was once a slave himself.
(d) Henry is the child of slaves currently owned by a neighbor.
3. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
(a) The children are sick and tired.
(b) So he can eat all the berries.
(c) The children might hurt themselves on the bushes.
(d) A storm is coming.
4. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
(a) His wife, Mildred.
(b) His son, Jack.
(c) His mother, Rita.
(d) His cousin, Mike.
5. What does Skiffington often stop to do while traveling on horseback?
(c) Read his Bible.
(d) Speak with neighbors.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Revend Moffett preach obedience?
2. What place does Calvin dream of going to, in hopes that his passions will be reciprocated?
3. Why does Robbins continuously raise the asking price for Henry as Augustus attempts to buy his freedom?
4. Why are the slave patrols formed?
5. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
2. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
3. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
4. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
5. What gift are John Skiffington and his wife, Winifred, given at their wedding?
6. Who dies in Chapter 1?
7. Who is Luke? How does he die?
8. Where is Henry buried?
9. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
10. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)