|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Caldonia believe is a better master to slaves--a white man or a black man?
(a) A white man.
(b) A black man with a white overseer.
(c) A black man.
(d) A white man with a black overseer.
2. What type of writing does Anderson Frazier do?
(b) Non-fiction books.
3. Who takes in Stamford to help heal his wounds after a fight with his cabin mate, Clement?
4. What threat does Robbins level on Philamena when she returns from Richmond after her second attempt to run away?
(a) That he will make sure she is left with no money and no place to live.
(b) That he will beat her within an inch of her life.
(c) That he will see her hanged.
(d) That her freedom papers will mean nothing if he decides to sell her back into slavery.
5. How is Luke killed?
(a) Luke dies from being overworked by a neighboring farmer.
(b) Luke is hit by lightening.
(c) Luke is beaten to death by a slave patroller for being out after dark.
(d) Luke is trampled by a couple of horses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
2. Who does Henry attempt to choke during a disagreement over dinner at Fern's one Sunday night?
3. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
4. What word does Maude use to refer to Caldonia and Calvin's slaves?
5. How does Augustus react to the news that Henry has become a slave owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Henry buried?
2. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
3. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
4. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
5. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
6. What causes the feud between Harvey Travis and Clarence Wilford?
7. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
8. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
9. Who is Augustus Townsend?
10. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)