|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Henry attempt to choke during a disagreement over dinner at Fern's one Sunday night?
2. How does Robbins react when he finds Philamena in Richmond after she has run away a second time?
(a) He beats her to near death.
(b) He has her arrested.
(c) He offers her a divorce.
(d) He threatens to lock her in her room,
3. Who digs Henry's grave before the funeral service?
(a) Calvin, Robbins, and Moses.
(b) Calvin, Louis, and Augustus.
(c) The male slaves.
(d) Moses, Elias, and Stamford.
4. What event caused the loss of county records in Manchester County?
(a) A 1912 fire.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) The dissolution of the county.
5. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His business partner.
(d) His neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Skiffington side when the feud over Travis' cow gets out of hand?
2. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
3. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
4. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
5. How is Luke killed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
2. Who does Skiffington meet at his boss, Patterson's, house and where is she from?
3. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
4. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
5. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
6. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
7. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
8. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
9. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
10. What gift are John Skiffington and his wife, Winifred, given at their wedding?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)