|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did John Skiffington leave North Carolina?
(a) To be closer to his father's relatives.
(b) To bury his mother in her home state.
(c) His father had a dream that they should free their slaves and all the slaves of the state.
(d) To move to a state where slave ownership was legal and encouraged.
2. Why does Loretta suggest fieldwork be suspended in the aftermath of Henry Townsend's death?
(a) To keep from disturbing the mourners.
(b) To prevent misunderstandings later.
(c) To wait until decisions are made as to what to do with the plantation and slaves.
(d) To prevent spoiling the journey of Henry's soul.
3. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
(a) A new slave.
(b) A new gun.
(c) A new map of the world.
(d) A new horse.
4. Who admonishes Henry to show vigilance and responsibility toward his slaves?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Sheriff Skiffington.
(c) Caldonia Townsend.
(d) Augustus Townsend.
5. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
(a) The main house.
(b) The slave quarters.
(c) An apartment over the garage.
(d) A mother-in-law house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
2. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
3. In whose crate does Rita hide in order to attempt her escape?
4. Why does Travis decide he wants the cow returned to him after he has already sold it?
5. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Luke? How does he die?
2. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
3. Why does Calvin not shake the slaves' hands and what does he wish to do with his own slaves?
4. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
5. Who dies in Chapter 1?
6. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
7. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
8. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
9. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
10. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)