|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do these men do to Augustus despite the fact that he is a free man?
(a) Sell him to William Robbins.
(b) Arrest him for breaking the Act of 1806.
(c) Sell him to slave traders.
(d) Arrest him for being a run away slave.
2. What type of writing does Anderson Frazier do?
(b) Non-fiction books.
3. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
(a) To obey the Bible.
(b) To have a companion.
(c) To please his father.
(d) To have children.
4. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
(a) Slaves in general.
(b) The Emancipation of American slaves.
(c) Blacks owning black slaves.
(d) The romantic life of an American slave.
5. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
(a) A slave Henry knew as a child with a similar injury.
(b) A story in the newspaper.
(c) His own imagination.
(d) A story told to him by other slave owners.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
2. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
3. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
4. Which woman does Elias develop an affection for while a slave on the Townsend Plantation?
5. What object does Calvin own that inspires his dreams of moving away from Manchester County to find love and passion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
2. Who is Jean Boussard accused of killing?
3. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
4. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
5. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
6. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
7. Who is Luke? How does he die?
8. What do the slaves fear upon learning of the death of Henry Townsend?
9. Where is Henry buried?
10. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)