|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
(a) Slaves in general.
(b) The Emancipation of American slaves.
(c) The romantic life of an American slave.
(d) Blacks owning black slaves.
2. Who dies as his wife and teacher discuss the fate of two slaves whose owner has died?
(a) John Skiffington.
(b) Calvin Newman.
(c) Henry Townsend.
(d) William Robbins.
3. Why did John Skiffington leave North Carolina?
(a) To move to a state where slave ownership was legal and encouraged.
(b) To bury his mother in her home state.
(c) To be closer to his father's relatives.
(d) His father had a dream that they should free their slaves and all the slaves of the state.
4. Who is Skiffington's future bride?
(a) Winifred Patterson.
(b) Minerva Skiffington.
(c) Clara Martin.
(d) Fern Elston.
5. Who are Louis and Dora?
(a) Robbins' children with his wife.
(b) Robbins' freed servants.
(c) Robbins' children with Philamena.
(d) Robbins' slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does Robbins suffer from?
2. Why do Alice's owners put up with her odd behavior?
3. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
4. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
5. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
2. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
3. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
4. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
5. What gift are John Skiffington and his wife, Winifred, given at their wedding?
6. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
7. Where does Skiffington want to move and what does he plan to do with Minerva once they arrive?
8. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
9. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
10. Who dies in Chapter 1?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)