|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
(a) A middle-aged slave.
(b) A new carriage.
(c) A child slave.
(d) A new house.
2. What place does Calvin dream of going to, in hopes that his passions will be reciprocated?
(d) New York.
3. What unusual demand does Moses make to Robbins?
(a) Moses insists he is a free man.
(b) Moses insists Robbins pay a good price.
(c) Moses insists he and Bessie, the other slave, remain together.
(d) Moses insists that he is worth more than Robbins pays.
4. Why do Robbins and Henry come to the sheriff's office to see Skiffington while Broussard is a prisoner there?
(a) Travis has been cruel to Robbins.
(b) Travis has been cruel to Henry.
(c) Henry has been robbed.
(d) Robbins is missing a slave.
5. What do these men do to Augustus despite the fact that he is a free man?
(a) Sell him to slave traders.
(b) Sell him to William Robbins.
(c) Arrest him for being a run away slave.
(d) Arrest him for breaking the Act of 1806.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
2. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
3. What does Skiffington think should be done with Minerva, his slave, if the family were to move?
4. Who stops Augustus as he makes his way home after delivery furniture to a client?
5. For whom does John Skiffington work?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
2. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
3. What is Maude Newman's opinion as to what her widowed daughter, Caldonia, should do with her slaves?
4. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
5. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
6. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
7. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
8. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
9. What is Caldonia's twin brother, Calvin's, opinion on the slaves? Why?
10. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)