|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
(a) A new slave.
(b) A new gun.
(c) A new map of the world.
(d) A new horse.
2. Who is Clara Martin?
(a) Skiffington's cousin.
(b) Skiffington's mother.
(c) Skiffington's mother-in-law.
(d) Skiffington's cousin by marriage.
3. What habit does Ramsey have that causes trouble for him and for Fern?
4. Where does Henry request he be buried?
(a) In the same cemetery, near but not among, the slaves who have died on his plantation.
(b) In a separate cemetery from the slaves who have died on the plantation.
(c) Near the house, separate from the family cemetery.
(d) In the Robbins' family cemetery.
5. What does Frazier's interviewee claim made slavery okay?
(a) Both the law and Bible sanctioned it.
(b) The President said it was.
(c) The politicians said it was.
(d) It was a way of life, the only way most people knew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
2. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
3. What unusual demand does Moses make to Robbins?
4. What do Henry's parents often bring him on their Sunday visits to Robbins' plantation?
5. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
2. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
3. Who dies in Chapter 1?
4. Who asks Fern to take Henry on as a student? Why?
5. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
6. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
7. Why do Robbins and Henry visit Skiffinton's jail while Broussard is imprisoned there?
8. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
9. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
10. Why does Fern disagree with the idea that blacks owning slaves is like owning your own family?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)