|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Henry's favorite authors?
(a) Shakespeare and Austen.
(b) Shakespeare and Gray.
(c) Milton and Gray.
(d) Milton and Dante.
2. What does Frazier's interviewee claim made slavery okay?
(a) The politicians said it was.
(b) The President said it was.
(c) Both the law and Bible sanctioned it.
(d) It was a way of life, the only way most people knew.
3. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
(a) Due to the fact that it is legal under Virginia law.
(b) Due to the fact that the Southern economy relies on it.
(c) Due to the fact that he enjoys keeping slaves.
(d) Due to the fact that it is sanctioned in the Bible.
4. What subject does Anderson Frazier generally write about?
(a) American romance.
(b) American history.
(c) American politics.
(d) American peculiarities.
5. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
(a) Picks weeds.
(c) Calls for her missing family.
(d) Talks to herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Loretta suggest fieldwork be suspended in the aftermath of Henry Townsend's death?
2. How does Robbins react when he finds Philamena in Richmond after she has run away a second time?
3. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
4. How is Luke killed?
5. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
Short Essay Questions
1. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
2. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
3. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
4. What is the 'Rita-thing'?
5. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
6. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
7. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
8. After Henry is freed, who teaches him the value of money and helps him make money with his bootmaking skills?
9. Who dies in Chapter 1?
10. What punishment did Henry demand for Elias after he attempted to run away? Why?
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)