|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Luke?
(a) The twelve year old son of Henry Townsend.
(b) The twelve year old son of Moses.
(c) A twelve year old slave who makes trouble on the Townsend plantation.
(d) A twelve year old boy Celeste and Elias have befriended.
2. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Sued him.
(c) Divorced him.
(d) Stabbed him.
3. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
(a) John Skiffington's books.
(b) Augustus Townsend's walking sticks.
(c) Gilly Patterson's clothing.
(d) William Robbins' whips.
4. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
(a) His wife, Mildred.
(b) His cousin, Mike.
(c) His mother, Rita.
(d) His son, Jack.
5. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
(a) Talks to herself.
(b) Picks weeds.
(d) Calls for her missing family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies as his wife and teacher discuss the fate of two slaves whose owner has died?
2. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
3. Why are the slave patrols formed?
4. What is John Skiffington's job at the time he decides to marry?
5. In whose crate does Rita hide in order to attempt her escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Before Henry is freed, who does he go with Robbins to Richmond to track down and return to Manchester County?
2. Why does Stamford get into a fight with his cabin mate? What is the result of this fight?
3. Why does Stamford pick blueberries for a couple of children he sees going out to pick berries in a storm?
4. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
5. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
6. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
7. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
8. What could Fern not break Henry of no matter how hard she worked at it?
9. Where is Henry buried?
10. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)