|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(b) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
(c) On the day Henry dies.
(d) On Christmas Day.
2. Why are the slave patrols formed?
(a) To find slaves stolen by abolishonists.
(b) To find two slaves who escaped Robbins' plantation.
(c) To find Henry's parents after they ran away.
(d) To find two slaves Robbins mistakenly sold.
3. What place does Calvin dream of going to, in hopes that his passions will be reciprocated?
(c) New York.
4. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
(a) Due to the fact that the Southern economy relies on it.
(b) Due to the fact that it is sanctioned in the Bible.
(c) Due to the fact that it is legal under Virginia law.
(d) Due to the fact that he enjoys keeping slaves.
5. What does the new sheriff organize to help crack down on runaway slaves?
(a) A fifty man militia.
(b) A twelve man slave patrol.
(c) A hundred man military regiment.
(d) A twenty man deputy roll.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
2. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
3. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
4. Who is Reverend Moffett having an affair with?
5. Where does Henry request he be buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Calvin have a crush on? Why does Calvin believe this person would rebuff any suggestions of romance? Where does Calvin want to go and why?
2. Why does Caldonia insist that Moses begin coming to the house to give her nightly reports on the activities of the plantation?
3. What or who does Robbins buy from Broussard?
4. Why does John Skiffington decide to get married in 1840?
5. Who becomes sheriff after Patterson is pushed out of office?
6. Why do landowners, such as Robbins, become unhappy with Patterson's reign as sheriff in Manchester County?
7. What is significant about the subjects Anderson Frazier writes about?
8. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
9. What promise does Caldonia make to the slaves after her husband's death?
10. Why does Clara Martin suddenly become convinced that her slave, Ralph, wants to kill her?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)