|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
(b) Barnum Kinsey.
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
2. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For helping a slave escape.
(b) For adultery.
(c) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
(d) For laying with a slave.
3. Who falls in love with Saskia, making life infinitely easier for Counsel Skiffington?
(a) An unhappy slave.
(b) A majority owner in the plantation.
(c) A rival neighbor.
(d) A creditor.
4. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
(a) Elias and Celeste.
(b) Priscilla and Jamie.
(c) Loretta and Bennett.
(d) Louis and Calvin.
5. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
6. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One day.
(b) One month.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
7. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
(a) Hillard Uster.
(b) William Robbins.
(c) Wilson Calhenny.
(d) Morris Calhenny.
8. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(a) New York.
(d) Manchester County.
9. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
(a) Oden is mentally impaired.
(b) Oden is an Indian.
(c) Oden is a criminal.
(d) Oden is a freed slave.
10. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from Ireland.
(b) An immigrant from England.
(c) An immigrant from Lyberia.
(d) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
11. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
12. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
(a) Jail time.
(b) Constant beatings from his owner.
(d) Sale to a new owner.
13. What plantation does Saskia come to live on?
(a) Townsend's Plantation.
(b) A Child's Dream.
(c) Robbins' Plantation.
14. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(c) North Carolina.
(d) South Carolina.
15. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
2. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
3. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
4. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
5. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)