|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
(a) Alice, Louis, and Calvin.
(b) Alice, Loretta, and Bennett.
(c) Alice, Elias, and Celeste.
(d) Alice, Pricilla, and Jamie.
2. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
(a) She dies and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(b) She dies and they have a nice, impromtu funeral for her on the side of the road.
(c) She becomes ill and is left with some racist slave patrollers on the side of the road.
(d) She breaks a leg and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
3. Who gives food and shelter to Counsel when he reaches Merryville, Louisiana?
(a) The Morris family.
(b) The Elton family.
(c) The Jenkins family.
(d) The Travis family.
4. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(b) William Robbins.
(d) Counsel Skiffington.
5. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(b) South Carolina.
(d) North Carolina.
6. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
7. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
(a) Oden is a freed slave.
(b) Oden is an Indian.
(c) Oden is mentally impaired.
(d) Oden is a criminal.
8. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
9. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
10. Why does Skiffington fight his lust for this other woman in his life?
(a) The Bible looks down on adultery.
(b) Skiffington loves his wife.
(c) Skiffington is afraid it will become public gossip.
(d) The woman in question has rebuffed his advances.
11. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
(a) He claims Ramsey stole his saddle.
(b) He claims Fern stole his horse.
(c) He claims Ramsey owes him five hundred dollars.
(d) He claims Fern is his long lost sister.
12. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
13. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
(a) Moses admitted the crime.
(b) No one has seen them since they disappeared and Moses has motive.
(c) Alice's body was found by the side of the road.
(d) Elias came forward as a witness to the crime.
14. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
15. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
(d) Mental illness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
2. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
3. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
4. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
5. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)