|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
(a) Travis and Oden.
(b) The slave traders.
2. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
(a) Alice Night..
(b) Henry Townsend.
(c) Patience Robbins.
(d) Minerva Skiffington.
3. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
4. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
(a) Mildred Townsend's.
(b) Caldonia Townsend's.
(c) Gilly Patterson's.
(d) William Robbins'.
5. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
6. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
(b) That Ramsey cheats on her.
(c) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
(d) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
7. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
8. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
(a) Gilly Patterson, his former boss.
(b) Mildred Townsend, a freed slave.
(c) Harry Sanderson, his liaison in Richmond.
(d) William Robbins, a local landowner.
9. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For adultery.
(b) For laying with a slave.
(c) For helping a slave escape.
(d) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
10. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
(a) The flu.
(b) Black Plague.
11. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
12. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) Fragility of human life.
(b) The point at which a food spoils.
(c) The moment an investment goes bad.
(d) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
13. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
(a) Loretta and Bennett.
(b) Priscilla and Jamie.
(c) Elias and Celeste.
(d) Louis and Calvin.
14. Why does Skiffington fight his lust for this other woman in his life?
(a) Skiffington is afraid it will become public gossip.
(b) The Bible looks down on adultery.
(c) Skiffington loves his wife.
(d) The woman in question has rebuffed his advances.
15. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) A headache.
(b) A toothache.
(c) The flu.
(d) Small pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
2. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
3. Who is Ray Topps?
4. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
5. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)