|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
2. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
(a) A rattle snake.
(b) A mesquite thorn.
(c) A nail.
(d) A scorpion.
3. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(a) Manchester County.
(b) New York.
4. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
(a) That the missing slaves will be killed by his patrollers.
(b) That Robbins will lose faith in him like he did Patterson.
(c) That the missing slaves will kill him in his sleep.
(d) That Caldonia will move to have him replaced as sheriff for not finding her slaves.
5. How much does Caldonia estimate Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie are worth based on the books Henry kept in regard to the slaves?
(a) Fifteen dollars.
(b) Fifty dollars.
(c) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(d) Fifteen hundred dollars.
6. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Hillard Uster.
(c) Wilson Calhenny.
(d) Morris Calhenny.
7. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
8. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
(a) She becomes ill and is left with some racist slave patrollers on the side of the road.
(b) She dies and they have a nice, impromtu funeral for her on the side of the road.
(c) She breaks a leg and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(d) She dies and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
9. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
10. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
(b) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
(c) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
(d) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
11. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
(a) He claims Ramsey owes him five hundred dollars.
(b) He claims Fern is his long lost sister.
(c) He claims Ramsey stole his saddle.
(d) He claims Fern stole his horse.
12. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
13. Why does Caldonia begin making silent visits to the slave quarters every night?
(a) To possibly prevent any more runaways.
(b) To keep her loneliness and grief at bay.
(c) To make sure Moses is treating the slaves properly.
(d) To check on the health of slaves who have recently given birth.
14. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
15. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
(a) Moses does not believe the person is telling the truth.
(b) Moses dislikes this sick person and would be happy to see them die.
(c) Moses is just mean.
(d) Moses is angry at the rumors being told about him and wants to punish everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
2. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
3. Who gives food and shelter to Counsel when he reaches Merryville, Louisiana?
4. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
5. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)