|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
(a) Alice, Pricilla, and Jamie.
(b) Alice, Louis, and Calvin.
(c) Alice, Loretta, and Bennett.
(d) Alice, Elias, and Celeste.
2. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
(a) A mule and saddle.
(b) A horse and buggy.
(c) A horse and food.
(d) A horse and saddle.
3. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
(a) Jail time.
(b) Constant beatings from his owner.
(d) Sale to a new owner.
4. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
(b) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
(c) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
(d) That Ramsey cheats on her.
5. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
(b) The moment an investment goes bad.
(c) Fragility of human life.
(d) The point at which a food spoils.
6. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
7. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
(a) They were theives.
(b) They are black plague carriers.
(c) They had smallpox.
(d) They are murderers.
8. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Demand his freedom.
(b) Return to Virginia.
(c) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
(d) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
9. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
10. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
11. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
(a) Caldonia decides to sell Moses to another plantation.
(b) Caldonia removes Moses as overseer.
(c) Caldonia demands to be informed before Moses deals with a sick slave.
(d) Caldonia accepts Moses' excuse and forgives him.
12. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Freed blacks.
(b) Poor whites.
(c) Minorities of all racial backgrounds.
(d) Runaway slaves.
13. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
(b) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
(c) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(d) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
14. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(b) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
(c) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
(d) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
15. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
(a) Oden is an Indian.
(b) Oden is mentally impaired.
(c) Oden is a criminal.
(d) Oden is a freed slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
2. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
3. Who is Ray Topps?
4. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
5. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)