|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
2. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(b) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
(c) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
(d) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
3. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
4. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
(a) Oden is mentally impaired.
(b) Oden is an Indian.
(c) Oden is a criminal.
(d) Oden is a freed slave.
5. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The moment an investment goes bad.
(b) The point at which a food spoils.
(c) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
(d) Fragility of human life.
6. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
7. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
(a) Stories of how the slaves are building a rebellion against her.
(b) Stories of how Henry built the house for her.
(c) Stories of how Henry spoke fondly of her all through their marriage.
(d) Stories of how he would treat her if she were his wife.
8. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
(b) For helping a slave escape.
(c) For laying with a slave.
(d) For adultery.
9. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(c) New York.
(d) Manchester County.
10. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
(a) Patience Robbins.
(b) Henry Townsend.
(c) Minerva Skiffington.
(d) Alice Night..
11. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
(a) A nail.
(b) A scorpion.
(c) A mesquite thorn.
(d) A rattle snake.
12. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
13. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) A headache.
(b) Small pox.
(c) The flu.
(d) A toothache.
14. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One year.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
15. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
2. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
3. Who is Ray Topps?
4. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
5. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)