|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
(a) Counsel was caught stealing a horse.
(b) Counsel stole money from their home.
(c) Counsel allowed the woman of the house to seduce him.
(d) Counsel revealed himself to be prejudice against blacks.
2. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from Lyberia.
(b) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
(c) An immigrant from England.
(d) An immigrant from Ireland.
3. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
(a) Caldonia demands to be informed before Moses deals with a sick slave.
(b) Caldonia removes Moses as overseer.
(c) Caldonia decides to sell Moses to another plantation.
(d) Caldonia accepts Moses' excuse and forgives him.
4. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
(a) His owner, Rev. Wilbur Mann.
(b) Oden Peoples.
(c) Sheriff Skiffington.
5. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(b) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
(c) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
(d) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
6. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) One week.
(d) One day.
7. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
8. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
9. Who gives food and shelter to Counsel when he reaches Merryville, Louisiana?
(a) The Jenkins family.
(b) The Elton family.
(c) The Travis family.
(d) The Morris family.
10. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
(a) Moses is just mean.
(b) Moses is angry at the rumors being told about him and wants to punish everyone.
(c) Moses does not believe the person is telling the truth.
(d) Moses dislikes this sick person and would be happy to see them die.
11. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
(a) To not tell anyone that Counsel killed Mildred Townsend for her treasures.
(b) To not tell anyone about the treasure Counsel believes is still hidden in the house.
(c) To not tell anyone that the slave patrol sold Augustus Townsend into slavery.
(d) To not tell anyone Counsel killed John Skiffington.
12. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
13. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(a) New York.
(d) Manchester County.
14. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
15. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
Short Answer Questions
1. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
2. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
3. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
4. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
5. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)