|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
(b) Demand his freedom.
(c) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
(d) Return to Virginia.
2. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The point at which a food spoils.
(b) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
(c) Fragility of human life.
(d) The moment an investment goes bad.
3. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
(a) Alice Night..
(b) Henry Townsend.
(c) Minerva Skiffington.
(d) Patience Robbins.
4. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
(a) That the missing slaves will kill him in his sleep.
(b) That Caldonia will move to have him replaced as sheriff for not finding her slaves.
(c) That the missing slaves will be killed by his patrollers.
(d) That Robbins will lose faith in him like he did Patterson.
5. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
(a) They had smallpox.
(b) They were theives.
(c) They are black plague carriers.
(d) They are murderers.
6. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
(a) To not tell anyone Counsel killed John Skiffington.
(b) To not tell anyone that the slave patrol sold Augustus Townsend into slavery.
(c) To not tell anyone about the treasure Counsel believes is still hidden in the house.
(d) To not tell anyone that Counsel killed Mildred Townsend for her treasures.
7. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
8. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
(a) He claims Ramsey stole his saddle.
(b) He claims Fern stole his horse.
(c) He claims Ramsey owes him five hundred dollars.
(d) He claims Fern is his long lost sister.
9. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One day.
(d) One month.
10. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
(a) A mule and saddle.
(b) A horse and buggy.
(c) A horse and saddle.
(d) A horse and food.
11. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
(a) A militia fighting Mexicans.
(b) A group of fugitive slaves.
(c) A group of immigrants.
(d) A wagon train.
12. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
(b) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(c) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
(d) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
13. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
14. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
(a) Counsel allowed the woman of the house to seduce him.
(b) Counsel revealed himself to be prejudice against blacks.
(c) Counsel was caught stealing a horse.
(d) Counsel stole money from their home.
15. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
2. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
3. Why does Skiffington fight his lust for this other woman in his life?
4. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
5. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)