|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
(b) Oden Peoples.
(c) His owner, Rev. Wilbur Mann.
(d) Sheriff Skiffington.
2. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
3. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
(a) Counsel revealed himself to be prejudice against blacks.
(b) Counsel allowed the woman of the house to seduce him.
(c) Counsel was caught stealing a horse.
(d) Counsel stole money from their home.
4. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
5. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(a) New York.
(c) Manchester County.
6. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) A rattle snake.
(c) A mesquite thorn.
(d) A nail.
7. Who is Ray Topps?
(a) A slave owner.
(b) An insurance man.
(c) A local merchant.
(d) A banker.
8. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
9. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
(a) Gloria and Stamford.
(b) Stamford, Delphie, and Elias.
(c) Moses, Gloria, and Clement.
(d) Moses, Elias, and Celeste.
10. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
(a) They were theives.
(b) They are black plague carriers.
(c) They had smallpox.
(d) They are murderers.
11. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
(b) For laying with a slave.
(c) For helping a slave escape.
(d) For adultery.
12. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
13. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
(a) Caldonia removes Moses as overseer.
(b) Caldonia accepts Moses' excuse and forgives him.
(c) Caldonia demands to be informed before Moses deals with a sick slave.
(d) Caldonia decides to sell Moses to another plantation.
14. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(b) North Carolina.
(c) South Carolina.
15. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
(a) Stories of how Henry built the house for her.
(b) Stories of how he would treat her if she were his wife.
(c) Stories of how Henry spoke fondly of her all through their marriage.
(d) Stories of how the slaves are building a rebellion against her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
2. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
3. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
4. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
5. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)