|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
2. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
(a) Louis and Calvin.
(b) Loretta and Bennett.
(c) Elias and Celeste.
(d) Priscilla and Jamie.
3. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
4. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
(b) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(c) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
(d) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
5. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
6. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(a) William Robbins.
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
7. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
8. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
(b) The flu.
(d) Black Plague.
9. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
10. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
(a) Hillard Uster.
(b) Morris Calhenny.
(c) Wilson Calhenny.
(d) William Robbins.
11. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
(a) Five gold bowls.
(b) Five twenty dollar gold pieces.
(c) Five silver rings.
(d) Five twenty dollar bills.
12. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
13. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
14. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from Ireland.
(b) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
(c) An immigrant from Lyberia.
(d) An immigrant from England.
15. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
(a) Eighteen miles.
(b) Eight-eight miles.
(c) Eighty miles.
(d) Eight miles.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
2. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
3. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
4. Why does Caldonia begin making silent visits to the slave quarters every night?
5. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)