|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
2. How much does Caldonia estimate Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie are worth based on the books Henry kept in regard to the slaves?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Fifteen dollars.
(d) Fifteen hundred dollars.
3. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from Ireland.
(b) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
(c) An immigrant from Lyberia.
(d) An immigrant from England.
4. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
(a) Gilly Patterson, his former boss.
(b) Mildred Townsend, a freed slave.
(c) Harry Sanderson, his liaison in Richmond.
(d) William Robbins, a local landowner.
5. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
(b) Black Plague.
(c) The flu.
6. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
(a) Eighteen miles.
(b) Eighty miles.
(c) Eight-eight miles.
(d) Eight miles.
7. Who decides to buy Jebediah when it is learned that he forged his freedom papers and is to return to his original owner?
8. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
(a) A horse and buggy carving Moses gave her.
(b) The doll Elias carved for her.
(c) A horse Elias carved for her.
(d) A dress made for her dead baby sister.
9. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
(a) She dies and they have a nice, impromtu funeral for her on the side of the road.
(b) She becomes ill and is left with some racist slave patrollers on the side of the road.
(c) She breaks a leg and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(d) She dies and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
10. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
11. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
(a) Moses admitted the crime.
(b) Alice's body was found by the side of the road.
(c) Elias came forward as a witness to the crime.
(d) No one has seen them since they disappeared and Moses has motive.
12. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Runaway slaves.
(b) Freed blacks.
(c) Minorities of all racial backgrounds.
(d) Poor whites.
13. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
14. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) One day.
(d) One year.
15. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
(a) They are murderers.
(b) They had smallpox.
(c) They are black plague carriers.
(d) They were theives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
2. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
3. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
4. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
5. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)