|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
(b) That Ramsey cheats on her.
(c) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
(d) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
2. Why does Skiffington fight his lust for this other woman in his life?
(a) Skiffington is afraid it will become public gossip.
(b) The Bible looks down on adultery.
(c) Skiffington loves his wife.
(d) The woman in question has rebuffed his advances.
3. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
4. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
(a) Counsel Skiffington.
(b) Barnum Kinsey.
(d) William Robbins.
5. Who falls in love with Saskia, making life infinitely easier for Counsel Skiffington?
(a) A majority owner in the plantation.
(b) A creditor.
(c) An unhappy slave.
(d) A rival neighbor.
6. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
(b) Augustus Townsend.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Counsel Skiffington.
7. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
8. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
9. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
(a) Moses dislikes this sick person and would be happy to see them die.
(b) Moses is angry at the rumors being told about him and wants to punish everyone.
(c) Moses does not believe the person is telling the truth.
(d) Moses is just mean.
10. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
(a) To make him a paid employee.
(b) To move him into the main house.
(c) To sell him.
(d) To free him.
11. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
12. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One month.
(b) One day.
(c) One week.
(d) One year.
13. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
(a) A group of immigrants.
(b) A group of fugitive slaves.
(c) A wagon train.
(d) A militia fighting Mexicans.
14. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
15. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
(b) An immigrant from Ireland.
(c) An immigrant from England.
(d) An immigrant from Lyberia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
2. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
3. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
4. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
5. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)