|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
2. Who gives food and shelter to Counsel when he reaches Merryville, Louisiana?
(a) The Jenkins family.
(b) The Morris family.
(c) The Travis family.
(d) The Elton family.
3. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
4. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
(a) A dress made for her dead baby sister.
(b) A horse Elias carved for her.
(c) A horse and buggy carving Moses gave her.
(d) The doll Elias carved for her.
5. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
(a) Stories of how Henry spoke fondly of her all through their marriage.
(b) Stories of how Henry built the house for her.
(c) Stories of how he would treat her if she were his wife.
(d) Stories of how the slaves are building a rebellion against her.
6. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
7. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
(a) To not tell anyone that Counsel killed Mildred Townsend for her treasures.
(b) To not tell anyone Counsel killed John Skiffington.
(c) To not tell anyone that the slave patrol sold Augustus Townsend into slavery.
(d) To not tell anyone about the treasure Counsel believes is still hidden in the house.
8. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
(a) For admitting the cadavers speak to him.
(b) For killing patients with drug overdoses.
(c) For abusing the nurses.
(d) For failing his mid-term exams.
9. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(a) Manchester County.
(d) New York.
10. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
11. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
(a) Morris Calhenny.
(b) Hillard Uster.
(c) Wilson Calhenny.
(d) William Robbins.
12. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
13. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
(b) Constant beatings from his owner.
(c) Sale to a new owner.
(d) Jail time.
14. What ailment does Morris Calhenny suffer that only his slave, Beau, can help him overcome?
(d) Mental illness.
15. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
2. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
3. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
4. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
5. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)