|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Caldonia estimate Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie are worth based on the books Henry kept in regard to the slaves?
(a) Fifty dollars.
(b) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Fifteen hundred dollars.
(d) Fifteen dollars.
2. What plantation does Saskia come to live on?
(a) Robbins' Plantation.
(b) A Child's Dream.
(c) Townsend's Plantation.
3. Why does Caldonia begin making silent visits to the slave quarters every night?
(a) To check on the health of slaves who have recently given birth.
(b) To possibly prevent any more runaways.
(c) To keep her loneliness and grief at bay.
(d) To make sure Moses is treating the slaves properly.
4. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
5. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
(a) Sale to a new owner.
(b) Jail time.
(c) Constant beatings from his owner.
6. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
7. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
8. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(b) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
(c) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
(d) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
9. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
(b) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
(c) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
(d) That Ramsey cheats on her.
10. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
(a) Caldonia Townsend's.
(b) Mildred Townsend's.
(c) Gilly Patterson's.
(d) William Robbins'.
11. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
12. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
(a) Alice, Elias, and Celeste.
(b) Alice, Pricilla, and Jamie.
(c) Alice, Loretta, and Bennett.
(d) Alice, Louis, and Calvin.
13. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
14. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
(a) A horse Elias carved for her.
(b) A horse and buggy carving Moses gave her.
(c) The doll Elias carved for her.
(d) A dress made for her dead baby sister.
15. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
(a) Caldonia demands to be informed before Moses deals with a sick slave.
(b) Caldonia decides to sell Moses to another plantation.
(c) Caldonia removes Moses as overseer.
(d) Caldonia accepts Moses' excuse and forgives him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
2. Why does Skiffington fight his lust for this other woman in his life?
3. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
4. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
5. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)