|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
2. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
3. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
4. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
(a) To not tell anyone about the treasure Counsel believes is still hidden in the house.
(b) To not tell anyone that Counsel killed Mildred Townsend for her treasures.
(c) To not tell anyone that the slave patrol sold Augustus Townsend into slavery.
(d) To not tell anyone Counsel killed John Skiffington.
5. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
6. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
(a) She dies and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(b) She becomes ill and is left with some racist slave patrollers on the side of the road.
(c) She breaks a leg and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(d) She dies and they have a nice, impromtu funeral for her on the side of the road.
7. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
(a) Delphie has a heart attack.
(b) Gloria gives birth to a sickly baby.
(c) Elias suffers a seizure.
(d) Celeste gives birth to a stillborn baby.
8. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
9. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
10. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
(a) Oden Peoples.
(b) Sheriff Skiffington.
(d) His owner, Rev. Wilbur Mann.
11. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
12. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(a) New York.
(c) Manchester County.
13. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from England.
(b) An immigrant from Ireland.
(c) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
(d) An immigrant from Lyberia.
14. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
(a) That Robbins will lose faith in him like he did Patterson.
(b) That the missing slaves will kill him in his sleep.
(c) That the missing slaves will be killed by his patrollers.
(d) That Caldonia will move to have him replaced as sheriff for not finding her slaves.
15. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Demand his freedom.
(b) Return to Virginia.
(c) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
(d) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
2. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
3. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
4. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
5. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)