|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
2. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
(a) Caldonia accepts Moses' excuse and forgives him.
(b) Caldonia demands to be informed before Moses deals with a sick slave.
(c) Caldonia decides to sell Moses to another plantation.
(d) Caldonia removes Moses as overseer.
3. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
4. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
(a) Five silver rings.
(b) Five twenty dollar gold pieces.
(c) Five twenty dollar bills.
(d) Five gold bowls.
5. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For helping a slave escape.
(b) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
(c) For adultery.
(d) For laying with a slave.
6. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
(b) That Ramsey cheats on her.
(c) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
(d) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
7. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
8. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
(a) He claims Fern is his long lost sister.
(b) He claims Ramsey owes him five hundred dollars.
(c) He claims Fern stole his horse.
(d) He claims Ramsey stole his saddle.
9. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
(a) They had smallpox.
(b) They are black plague carriers.
(c) They are murderers.
(d) They were theives.
10. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
(a) Stamford, Delphie, and Elias.
(b) Moses, Elias, and Celeste.
(c) Gloria and Stamford.
(d) Moses, Gloria, and Clement.
11. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
12. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
(b) An immigrant from England.
(c) An immigrant from Lyberia.
(d) An immigrant from Ireland.
13. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
(a) For failing his mid-term exams.
(b) For admitting the cadavers speak to him.
(c) For killing patients with drug overdoses.
(d) For abusing the nurses.
14. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
15. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
(a) Moses dislikes this sick person and would be happy to see them die.
(b) Moses does not believe the person is telling the truth.
(c) Moses is just mean.
(d) Moses is angry at the rumors being told about him and wants to punish everyone.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does this family turn on Counsel the very next morning, after offering him shelter and food the night before?
2. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
3. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
4. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
5. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)