|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
(a) She breaks a leg and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(b) She dies and they have a nice, impromtu funeral for her on the side of the road.
(c) She becomes ill and is left with some racist slave patrollers on the side of the road.
(d) She dies and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
2. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
(a) He claims Fern stole his horse.
(b) He claims Ramsey owes him five hundred dollars.
(c) He claims Fern is his long lost sister.
(d) He claims Ramsey stole his saddle.
3. Who falls in love with Saskia, making life infinitely easier for Counsel Skiffington?
(a) A rival neighbor.
(b) A majority owner in the plantation.
(c) A creditor.
(d) An unhappy slave.
4. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
(a) To make him a paid employee.
(b) To move him into the main house.
(c) To sell him.
(d) To free him.
5. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Wilson Calhenny.
(c) Morris Calhenny.
(d) Hillard Uster.
6. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(a) South Carolina.
(d) North Carolina.
7. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The moment an investment goes bad.
(b) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
(c) Fragility of human life.
(d) The point at which a food spoils.
8. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
9. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
(a) Travis and Oden.
(d) The slave traders.
10. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
11. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
12. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
(a) Elias suffers a seizure.
(b) Celeste gives birth to a stillborn baby.
(c) Delphie has a heart attack.
(d) Gloria gives birth to a sickly baby.
13. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
(a) For abusing the nurses.
(b) For failing his mid-term exams.
(c) For killing patients with drug overdoses.
(d) For admitting the cadavers speak to him.
14. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For laying with a slave.
(b) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
(c) For helping a slave escape.
(d) For adultery.
15. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) Barnum Kinsey.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
2. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
3. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
4. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
5. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)