|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
(b) The flu.
(d) Black Plague.
2. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
(a) William Robbins'.
(b) Caldonia Townsend's.
(c) Mildred Townsend's.
(d) Gilly Patterson's.
3. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
4. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
5. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
6. What does Moses expect Caldonia to do for him now that his family is gone and he is Caldonia's lover?
(a) To move him into the main house.
(b) To free him.
(c) To make him a paid employee.
(d) To sell him.
7. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) A headache.
(b) The flu.
(c) A toothache.
(d) Small pox.
8. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One year.
(b) One month.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
9. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
(a) For failing his mid-term exams.
(b) For killing patients with drug overdoses.
(c) For admitting the cadavers speak to him.
(d) For abusing the nurses.
10. Who claims to be sick the following day and unable to work in the fields as ordered?
11. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
(a) To not tell anyone Counsel killed John Skiffington.
(b) To not tell anyone about the treasure Counsel believes is still hidden in the house.
(c) To not tell anyone that Counsel killed Mildred Townsend for her treasures.
(d) To not tell anyone that the slave patrol sold Augustus Townsend into slavery.
12. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
(a) Gilly Patterson, his former boss.
(b) William Robbins, a local landowner.
(c) Mildred Townsend, a freed slave.
(d) Harry Sanderson, his liaison in Richmond.
13. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
(a) A militia fighting Mexicans.
(b) A group of immigrants.
(c) A group of fugitive slaves.
(d) A wagon train.
14. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
(a) Alice, Loretta, and Bennett.
(b) Alice, Elias, and Celeste.
(c) Alice, Louis, and Calvin.
(d) Alice, Pricilla, and Jamie.
15. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
2. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
3. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
4. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
5. Who claims that Jebediah forged his freedom papers?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)