|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
(b) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
(c) That Ramsey cheats on her.
(d) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
2. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
3. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) One year.
(d) One day.
4. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
(a) Moses, Elias, and Celeste.
(b) Moses, Gloria, and Clement.
(c) Gloria and Stamford.
(d) Stamford, Delphie, and Elias.
5. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
(a) A horse and saddle.
(b) A horse and buggy.
(c) A mule and saddle.
(d) A horse and food.
6. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
(a) Stories of how the slaves are building a rebellion against her.
(b) Stories of how Henry built the house for her.
(c) Stories of how Henry spoke fondly of her all through their marriage.
(d) Stories of how he would treat her if she were his wife.
7. Who falls in love with Saskia, making life infinitely easier for Counsel Skiffington?
(a) A rival neighbor.
(b) A creditor.
(c) An unhappy slave.
(d) A majority owner in the plantation.
8. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
(a) Black Plague.
(d) The flu.
9. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
(a) She becomes ill and is left with some racist slave patrollers on the side of the road.
(b) She dies and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(c) She dies and they have a nice, impromtu funeral for her on the side of the road.
(d) She breaks a leg and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
10. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
(b) For laying with a slave.
(c) For helping a slave escape.
(d) For adultery.
11. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
(b) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
(c) Demand his freedom.
(d) Return to Virginia.
12. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
13. What plantation does Saskia come to live on?
(b) Townsend's Plantation.
(c) A Child's Dream.
(d) Robbins' Plantation.
14. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Barnum Kinsey.
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
15. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
(b) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(c) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
(d) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
2. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
3. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
4. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
5. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)