|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
2. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) Augustus Townsend.
3. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
(a) Five silver rings.
(b) Five gold bowls.
(c) Five twenty dollar bills.
(d) Five twenty dollar gold pieces.
4. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
(b) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
(c) Return to Virginia.
(d) Demand his freedom.
5. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
6. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
(b) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
(c) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(d) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
7. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
(a) Patience Robbins.
(b) Minerva Skiffington.
(c) Alice Night..
(d) Henry Townsend.
8. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
(c) Travis and Oden.
(d) The slave traders.
9. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
(a) They are murderers.
(b) They had smallpox.
(c) They are black plague carriers.
(d) They were theives.
10. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
11. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
(a) Constant beatings from his owner.
(c) Jail time.
(d) Sale to a new owner.
12. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
13. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
14. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
15. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
(a) That Robbins will lose faith in him like he did Patterson.
(b) That Caldonia will move to have him replaced as sheriff for not finding her slaves.
(c) That the missing slaves will kill him in his sleep.
(d) That the missing slaves will be killed by his patrollers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who falls in love with Saskia, making life infinitely easier for Counsel Skiffington?
2. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
3. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
4. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
5. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)