|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(a) Counsel Skiffington.
(b) William Robbins.
2. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
3. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
4. What does Jebediah step on that causes an infection in his foot?
(a) A scorpion.
(b) A nail.
(c) A rattle snake.
(d) A mesquite thorn.
5. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
(a) Skiffington does not want to put a black in a cell often occupied by whites.
(b) Skiffington does not believe Jebediah has commited a crime.
(c) Skiffington is confronted with health problems Jebediah will need help in controlling during his imprisonment.
(d) Skiffington has too many prisoners to house another.
6. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) A headache.
(b) The flu.
(c) A toothache.
(d) Small pox.
7. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
(a) Henry Townsend.
(b) Minerva Skiffington.
(c) Patience Robbins.
(d) Alice Night..
8. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
(a) To not tell anyone about the treasure Counsel believes is still hidden in the house.
(b) To not tell anyone that Counsel killed Mildred Townsend for her treasures.
(c) To not tell anyone Counsel killed John Skiffington.
(d) To not tell anyone that the slave patrol sold Augustus Townsend into slavery.
9. Who gives food and shelter to Counsel when he reaches Merryville, Louisiana?
(a) The Morris family.
(b) The Elton family.
(c) The Jenkins family.
(d) The Travis family.
10. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For helping a slave escape.
(b) For laying with a slave.
(c) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
(d) For adultery.
11. What plantation does Saskia come to live on?
(b) A Child's Dream.
(c) Robbins' Plantation.
(d) Townsend's Plantation.
12. Who runs away from the Townsend Plantation under pressure from Moses?
(a) Alice, Elias, and Celeste.
(b) Alice, Pricilla, and Jamie.
(c) Alice, Loretta, and Bennett.
(d) Alice, Louis, and Calvin.
13. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
14. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
(a) Sale to a new owner.
(b) Jail time.
(d) Constant beatings from his owner.
15. Why were Saskia and her husband exiled from England?
(a) They were theives.
(b) They had smallpox.
(c) They are black plague carriers.
(d) They are murderers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
2. Who does Moses think needs to be out of the picture to clear the way for Caldonia to free him and marry him?
3. How does Topps define perishment?
4. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
5. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)