|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
2. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
(a) Elias came forward as a witness to the crime.
(b) No one has seen them since they disappeared and Moses has motive.
(c) Alice's body was found by the side of the road.
(d) Moses admitted the crime.
3. Who is Ray Topps?
(a) A slave owner.
(b) An insurance man.
(c) A local merchant.
(d) A banker.
4. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Wilson Calhenny.
(c) Morris Calhenny.
(d) Hillard Uster.
5. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(b) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
(c) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
(d) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
6. What does Moses include in his reports to Caldonia every night?
(a) Stories of how Henry spoke fondly of her all through their marriage.
(b) Stories of how Henry built the house for her.
(c) Stories of how he would treat her if she were his wife.
(d) Stories of how the slaves are building a rebellion against her.
7. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Demand his freedom.
(b) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
(c) Return to Virginia.
(d) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
8. Who suggests to Caldonia that she buy insurance to cover her slaves?
9. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The moment an investment goes bad.
(b) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
(c) Fragility of human life.
(d) The point at which a food spoils.
10. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
11. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
(a) Celeste gives birth to a stillborn baby.
(b) Delphie has a heart attack.
(c) Gloria gives birth to a sickly baby.
(d) Elias suffers a seizure.
12. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
(a) She dies and they have a nice, impromtu funeral for her on the side of the road.
(b) She becomes ill and is left with some racist slave patrollers on the side of the road.
(c) She dies and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
(d) She breaks a leg and is left abandoned on the side of the road.
13. What fate lies ahead of Jebediah when it is discovered he has forged his freedom papers?
(a) Constant beatings from his owner.
(b) Sale to a new owner.
(d) Jail time.
14. What disease begins to sweep through the plantation, leaving most of the family and slaves dead?
(b) The flu.
(d) Black Plague.
15. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
(a) That the missing slaves will kill him in his sleep.
(b) That Caldonia will move to have him replaced as sheriff for not finding her slaves.
(c) That Robbins will lose faith in him like he did Patterson.
(d) That the missing slaves will be killed by his patrollers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
2. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
3. What unique problem does the arrest of Jebediah present for Sheriff Skiffington?
4. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
5. Who disappears from Caldonia's plantation in the days after Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie leave?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)