|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
2. How much does Caldonia estimate Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie are worth based on the books Henry kept in regard to the slaves?
(a) Fifteen dollars.
(b) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Fifteen hundred dollars.
(d) Fifty dollars.
3. Why does Skiffington believe the runaways are dead and buried somewhere in the woods?
(a) Moses admitted the crime.
(b) Elias came forward as a witness to the crime.
(c) Alice's body was found by the side of the road.
(d) No one has seen them since they disappeared and Moses has motive.
4. Who does Robbins charge with finding Caldonia's lost slaves after admitting he has lost faith in John Skiffington as sheriff?
5. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
(a) A wagon train.
(b) A group of immigrants.
(c) A group of fugitive slaves.
(d) A militia fighting Mexicans.
6. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
(a) He claims Fern stole his horse.
(b) He claims Fern is his long lost sister.
(c) He claims Ramsey stole his saddle.
(d) He claims Ramsey owes him five hundred dollars.
7. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
(b) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(c) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
(d) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
8. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
(a) Oden is a freed slave.
(b) Oden is a criminal.
(c) Oden is an Indian.
(d) Oden is mentally impaired.
9. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
(a) A horse and food.
(b) A horse and buggy.
(c) A mule and saddle.
(d) A horse and saddle.
10. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from Lyberia.
(b) An immigrant from Ireland.
(c) An immigrant from England.
(d) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
11. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(b) Manchester County.
(c) New York.
12. Who has John Skiffington begun to lust after even as he begins to see his career falling apart?
13. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The point at which a food spoils.
(b) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
(c) Fragility of human life.
(d) The moment an investment goes bad.
14. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
15. At whose home does Skiffington come to believe Moses is hiding out?
(a) William Robbins'.
(b) Gilly Patterson's.
(c) Caldonia Townsend's.
(d) Mildred Townsend's.
Short Answer Questions
1. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
2. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
3. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
4. Who do Darcy and Stennis finally manage to sell Augustus to for fifty-three dollars?
5. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)