|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
(a) William Robbins.
(c) Augustus Townsend.
(d) Counsel Skiffington.
2. What happens to the sick slave who Moses forces to work in the fields despite an illness?
(a) Gloria gives birth to a sickly baby.
(b) Celeste gives birth to a stillborn baby.
(c) Delphie has a heart attack.
(d) Elias suffers a seizure.
3. Why does Caldonia begin making silent visits to the slave quarters every night?
(a) To make sure Moses is treating the slaves properly.
(b) To check on the health of slaves who have recently given birth.
(c) To possibly prevent any more runaways.
(d) To keep her loneliness and grief at bay.
4. What plantation does Saskia come to live on?
(a) Robbins' Plantation.
(c) Townsend's Plantation.
(d) A Child's Dream.
5. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
(a) William Robbins, a local landowner.
(b) Harry Sanderson, his liaison in Richmond.
(c) Gilly Patterson, his former boss.
(d) Mildred Townsend, a freed slave.
6. How does the comment that Moses is 'world stupid' give John Skiffington a new place to search for Moses?
(a) Skiffington believes Moses might have gone west rather than east.
(b) Skiffington believes Moses would be afraid to leave the county he knows.
(c) Skiffington believes Moses might have sought out refuge rather than attempt to leave the county.
(d) Skiffington realizes that Moses might have gone south rather than north.
7. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
(a) Moses is angry at the rumors being told about him and wants to punish everyone.
(b) Moses is just mean.
(c) Moses does not believe the person is telling the truth.
(d) Moses dislikes this sick person and would be happy to see them die.
8. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
9. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Eighty miles.
(c) Eighteen miles.
(d) Eight-eight miles.
10. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) Small pox.
(b) The flu.
(c) A headache.
(d) A toothache.
11. Why does Skiffington count Oden and his testimony for Travis about Augustus as that of only half a man?
(a) Oden is a freed slave.
(b) Oden is mentally impaired.
(c) Oden is an Indian.
(d) Oden is a criminal.
12. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(b) North Carolina.
(d) South Carolina.
13. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Demand his freedom.
(b) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
(c) Return to Virginia.
(d) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
14. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
15. Who tells Skiffington that Travis sold Augustus Townsend to slave traders?
(a) Barnum Kinsey.
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(c) William Robbins.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
2. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
3. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
4. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
5. Who believes Fern and her husband continue to owe four hundred and fifty dollars?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)