|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(a) Counsel Skiffington.
(b) William Robbins.
2. How does Topps define perishment?
(a) The moment an investment goes bad.
(b) The moment a slave chooses to runaway.
(c) Fragility of human life.
(d) The point at which a food spoils.
3. What state are the slave traders who bought free man Augustus Townsend heading to?
(a) South Carolina.
(c) North Carolina.
4. Why does Caldonia begin making silent visits to the slave quarters every night?
(a) To check on the health of slaves who have recently given birth.
(b) To make sure Moses is treating the slaves properly.
(c) To keep her loneliness and grief at bay.
(d) To possibly prevent any more runaways.
5. What possession does Tessie show everyone, a possession she will cherish until she dies more than eighty years later?
(a) A dress made for her dead baby sister.
(b) A horse and buggy carving Moses gave her.
(c) The doll Elias carved for her.
(d) A horse Elias carved for her.
6. Where does Counsel hope to eventually make his home?
(a) Manchester County.
(d) New York.
7. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
8. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
9. Who does Skiffington turn to for advice on the laws regarding freed slaves and whether than can be sold into slavery?
(a) Mildred Townsend, a freed slave.
(b) Harry Sanderson, his liaison in Richmond.
(c) William Robbins, a local landowner.
(d) Gilly Patterson, his former boss.
10. What does Augustus attempt to do the moment he is bought and paid for?
(a) Demand his freedom.
(b) Kill Darcy and Stennis for their cruelties.
(c) Sue the slave patrol and the slave traders for kidnapping.
(d) Return to Virginia.
11. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
(a) Moses dislikes this sick person and would be happy to see them die.
(b) Moses is just mean.
(c) Moses is angry at the rumors being told about him and wants to punish everyone.
(d) Moses does not believe the person is telling the truth.
12. Who takes care of Moses after he is hobbled and has fallen into a depression so deep he refuses to eat or see anyone?
13. What plantation does Saskia come to live on?
(a) Townsend's Plantation.
(b) A Child's Dream.
(d) Robbins' Plantation.
14. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
(a) A horse and food.
(b) A horse and saddle.
(c) A mule and saddle.
(d) A horse and buggy.
15. What ailment does John Skiffington suffer in the final chapters of the book?
(a) A headache.
(b) Small pox.
(c) The flu.
(d) A toothache.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
2. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
3. Who is named overseer in the wake of Moses' disappearance?
4. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
5. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)