|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information about Ramsey does Jebediah reveal to Fern that changes the climate of her marriage?
(a) That Ramsey is legally married to another woman.
(b) That Ramsey beats the slaves.
(c) That Ramsey gambled away the mortgage to their home.
(d) That Ramsey cheats on her.
2. Who suggests that Moses be hobbled for running away?
3. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
4. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
5. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
(a) Minorities of all racial backgrounds.
(b) Poor whites.
(c) Freed blacks.
(d) Runaway slaves.
6. Why is Wilson Calhenny kicked out of medical school?
(a) For killing patients with drug overdoses.
(b) For failing his mid-term exams.
(c) For admitting the cadavers speak to him.
(d) For abusing the nurses.
7. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
8. What is Skiffington concerned about in light of the number of missing slaves from Caldonia's plantation?
(a) That the missing slaves will kill him in his sleep.
(b) That Robbins will lose faith in him like he did Patterson.
(c) That the missing slaves will be killed by his patrollers.
(d) That Caldonia will move to have him replaced as sheriff for not finding her slaves.
9. What plantation does Saskia come to live on?
(a) Townsend's Plantation.
(c) A Child's Dream.
(d) Robbins' Plantation.
10. What does Counsel make Moses promise at gunpoint after Moses reveals himself by coming out of the house?
(a) To not tell anyone about the treasure Counsel believes is still hidden in the house.
(b) To not tell anyone that the slave patrol sold Augustus Townsend into slavery.
(c) To not tell anyone that Counsel killed Mildred Townsend for her treasures.
(d) To not tell anyone Counsel killed John Skiffington.
11. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
12. How long does Jebediah camp outside Fern's house before the slave patrol finally arrests him?
(a) One week.
(b) One year.
(c) One month.
(d) One day.
13. What profession does Saskia's husband force her into, first in Philadelphia, and later, North Carolina?
14. Who arrives in Manchester County, causing John Skiffington to think of Rip Van Winkle?
(a) Augustus Townsend.
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
15. Who does Caldonia marry three years after her husband's death?
(b) William Robbins.
(d) Counsel Skiffington.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name on the wall hanging that Calvin sees in Washington D.C., causing him to write an excited letter to his sister, Caldonia?
2. How much does Caldonia estimate Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie are worth based on the books Henry kept in regard to the slaves?
3. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
4. What language does the leader of this group Counsel runs into in Texas speak?
5. Who is Moses afraid might see him as he makes his nightly forays into the woods?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)