|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose birth does Moses claim to have been present at, even though the reader knows Moses was not in Manchester County until many years later?
2. Why does Skiffington fight his lust for this other woman in his life?
(a) The Bible looks down on adultery.
(b) Skiffington is afraid it will become public gossip.
(c) The woman in question has rebuffed his advances.
(d) Skiffington loves his wife.
3. What does Counsel run into as he enters Texas and finds himself surrounded by a pack of dogs?
(a) A group of fugitive slaves.
(b) A militia fighting Mexicans.
(c) A wagon train.
(d) A group of immigrants.
4. What does Counsel Skiffington find inside the home while he is searching for Moses?
(a) Five silver rings.
(b) Five twenty dollar bills.
(c) Five twenty dollar gold pieces.
(d) Five gold bowls.
5. How much does Caldonia estimate Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie are worth based on the books Henry kept in regard to the slaves?
(a) Fifteen hundred dollars.
(b) Fifteen thousand dollars.
(c) Fifty dollars.
(d) Fifteen dollars.
6. Who does Mildred claim ignored her plea for help when she went to report her husband missing at the sheriff's office?
7. How many free blacks do the slave traders sell along their journey south?
8. Who is Saskia Wilhelm?
(a) An immigrant from England.
(b) An immigrant from Lyberia.
(c) An immigrant from the Netherlands.
(d) An immigrant from Ireland.
9. Who says that Moses is 'world stupid', implying that he does not know North from South?
10. Who performs the procedure to hobble Moses?
11. How far from the Townsend Plantation does Fern live?
(a) Eight miles.
(b) Eighteen miles.
(c) Eight-eight miles.
(d) Eighty miles.
12. Why does Moses force a sick slave to work in the fields despite protest from this person's family and friends?
(a) Moses dislikes this sick person and would be happy to see them die.
(b) Moses is just mean.
(c) Moses is angry at the rumors being told about him and wants to punish everyone.
(d) Moses does not believe the person is telling the truth.
13. How does Caldonia react to the stricken slave and Moses' part in forcing that slave to work sick?
(a) Caldonia decides to sell Moses to another plantation.
(b) Caldonia accepts Moses' excuse and forgives him.
(c) Caldonia removes Moses as overseer.
(d) Caldonia demands to be informed before Moses deals with a sick slave.
14. Who does Skiffington believe is behind the disappearances of Alice, Priscilla, and Jamie?
(a) The slave traders.
(c) Travis and Oden.
15. Why was a white woman hanged in Bristol in front of more than three hundred people?
(a) For laying with a slave.
(b) For helping a slave escape.
(c) For adultery.
(d) For handing out abolishonist pamphlets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the majority of the employees at the hotel/restaurant/saloon that Alice, Priscilla, and James own in Washington, D.C.?
2. Who accuses Moses of working the slaves too hard and too late into the day?
3. Why does Jebediah accost Fern on the road to her home?
4. What does Counsel Skiffington take from a nice couple who nursed him through an illness in South Carolina?
5. What happens to nine-year-old Abundance Crawford during the journey south with the slave traders?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)