|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What habit does Ramsey have that causes trouble for him and for Fern?
2. What unusual demand does Moses make to Robbins?
(a) Moses insists Robbins pay a good price.
(b) Moses insists he is a free man.
(c) Moses insists that he is worth more than Robbins pays.
(d) Moses insists he and Bessie, the other slave, remain together.
3. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
(b) Life in prison.
(c) A fine.
(d) Time served.
4. Why do the large landowners of Manchester County become unhappy with Sheriff Patterson?
(a) Due to an increase in the sheriff's salary.
(b) Due to incidences of cruelty against slaves.
(c) Due to the increase in crime.
(d) Due to the incidences of missing slaves.
5. What word does Maude use to refer to Caldonia and Calvin's slaves?
6. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
(c) New York.
(d) Washington, D.C.
7. Why did John Skiffington leave North Carolina?
(a) His father had a dream that they should free their slaves and all the slaves of the state.
(b) To be closer to his father's relatives.
(c) To move to a state where slave ownership was legal and encouraged.
(d) To bury his mother in her home state.
8. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
(a) Oden Peoples.
(b) Barnum Kinsey.
(c) Henry Townsend.
(d) Clarence Wilford.
9. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) John Skiffington.
(b) Oden Peoples.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Barnum Kinsey.
10. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) On the day Henry dies.
(b) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(c) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
(d) On Christmas Day.
11. What did Maude's husband, Tilmon, want to do with their slaves after the death of their third child?
(a) Free them.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Kill them.
(d) Buy more.
12. What event caused the loss of county records in Manchester County?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) A 1912 fire.
(d) The dissolution of the county.
13. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
(a) The children are sick and tired.
(b) The children might hurt themselves on the bushes.
(c) A storm is coming.
(d) So he can eat all the berries.
14. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
(a) A story told to him by other slave owners.
(b) His own imagination.
(c) A slave Henry knew as a child with a similar injury.
(d) A story in the newspaper.
15. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
(a) A mother-in-law house.
(b) The main house.
(c) An apartment over the garage.
(d) The slave quarters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Henry's parents often bring him on their Sunday visits to Robbins' plantation?
2. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
3. What does the new sheriff organize to help crack down on runaway slaves?
4. How does Robbins react when he finds Philamena in Richmond after she has run away a second time?
5. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)