|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom does Henry buy his first piece of land and his first slave?
(a) Gilly Patterson.
(b) William Robbins.
(c) Augustus Townsend.
(d) John Skiffington.
2. Which woman does Elias develop an affection for while a slave on the Townsend Plantation?
3. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
(a) Slaves in general.
(b) The Emancipation of American slaves.
(c) The romantic life of an American slave.
(d) Blacks owning black slaves.
4. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
(a) A pass from the Townsend plantation.
(b) An ID badge.
(c) A passport.
(d) Freedom papers.
5. Who is Philomena?
(a) Robbins' personal maid.
(b) Robbins' cousin.
(c) Robbins' black mistress and mother of two of his children.
(d) Robbins' housekeeper.
6. Who does Henry attempt to choke during a disagreement over dinner at Fern's one Sunday night?
7. To whom does Revend Moffett preach obedience?
(a) Indentured slaves.
(b) White servants.
(c) Law officials.
(d) The slaves.
8. Why do Robbins and Henry come to the sheriff's office to see Skiffington while Broussard is a prisoner there?
(a) Travis has been cruel to Robbins.
(b) Travis has been cruel to Henry.
(c) Henry has been robbed.
(d) Robbins is missing a slave.
9. Why does Travis decide he wants the cow returned to him after he has already sold it?
(a) The new owner learns the cow is expecting a calf.
(b) It gets over the illness that should have killed it.
(c) The new owner sells it for more money than he paid for it.
(d) It begins producing milk.
10. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Counsel Skiffington.
(c) Henry Townsend.
(d) John Skiffington.
11. What does the new sheriff organize to help crack down on runaway slaves?
(a) A twelve man slave patrol.
(b) A hundred man military regiment.
(c) A twenty man deputy roll.
(d) A fifty man militia.
12. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
(a) Bitter words about a mutual friend.
(b) The abuse of a child.
(c) Lost possessions.
(d) An interest in the same girl.
13. What do the slaves on Townsend Plantation fear most when they hear of the death of Henry Townsend?
(a) They will be freed and forced to leave Virginia.
(b) They will be sold to less kind slave owners.
(c) They will be sold and separated from their loved ones.
(d) They will be forced to continue working for the plantation.
14. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) On Christmas Day.
(b) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(c) On the day Henry dies.
(d) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
15. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
(a) John Skiffington's books.
(b) Gilly Patterson's clothing.
(c) William Robbins' whips.
(d) Augustus Townsend's walking sticks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is John Skiffington's job at the time he decides to marry?
2. Why do Alice's owners put up with her odd behavior?
3. Who is Reverend Moffett having an affair with?
4. Who is Skiffington's future bride?
5. What decision does Moses make that angers Caldonia?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)