|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
(a) Calls for her missing family.
(b) Picks weeds.
(d) Talks to herself.
2. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
(a) To live to see slaves freed.
(b) To live until he is the oldest man in the county.
(c) To die of a wasting disease.
(d) To die soon.
3. Who is Philomena?
(a) Robbins' black mistress and mother of two of his children.
(b) Robbins' personal maid.
(c) Robbins' cousin.
(d) Robbins' housekeeper.
4. What threat does Robbins level on Philamena when she returns from Richmond after her second attempt to run away?
(a) That he will beat her within an inch of her life.
(b) That he will see her hanged.
(c) That her freedom papers will mean nothing if he decides to sell her back into slavery.
(d) That he will make sure she is left with no money and no place to live.
5. What does Skiffington think should be done with Minerva, his slave, if the family were to move?
(a) She should be sold to a plantation.
(b) She should be freed.
(c) She should remain with the family who cares for her.
(d) She should be forced into a beneficial marriage.
6. What do Henry's parents often bring him on their Sunday visits to Robbins' plantation?
7. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Henry Townsend.
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) John Skiffington.
8. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
(a) A new house.
(b) A child slave.
(c) A new carriage.
(d) A middle-aged slave.
9. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
(c) New York.
(d) Washington, D.C.
10. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
(a) A new map of the world.
(b) A new slave.
(c) A new horse.
(d) A new gun.
11. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) Barnum Kinsey.
(b) Oden Peoples.
(c) John Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
12. Why do the large landowners of Manchester County become unhappy with Sheriff Patterson?
(a) Due to the incidences of missing slaves.
(b) Due to an increase in the sheriff's salary.
(c) Due to the increase in crime.
(d) Due to incidences of cruelty against slaves.
13. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
(a) An apartment over the garage.
(b) The main house.
(c) The slave quarters.
(d) A mother-in-law house.
14. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
(a) Sued him.
(b) Stabbed him.
(c) Divorced him.
(d) Poisoned him.
15. Who does Henry attempt to choke during a disagreement over dinner at Fern's one Sunday night?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
2. Who is Luke?
3. What does the new sheriff organize to help crack down on runaway slaves?
4. Who are Louis and Dora?
5. What mistake does Frazier make when he approaches this woman to discuss his latest writing project?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)