|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
(a) Bribes the groom to give him the position.
(b) Bribes the slave patrol to allow him to wander the countryside.
(c) Bribes the overseer so he does not have to work.
(d) Bribes Robbins to keep raising his price.
2. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
(a) Making boots.
(b) Making furniture with his father.
(c) Working in cotton fields.
(d) Caring for the horses on a local farm.
3. Where does Henry request he be buried?
(a) In the same cemetery, near but not among, the slaves who have died on his plantation.
(b) Near the house, separate from the family cemetery.
(c) In a separate cemetery from the slaves who have died on the plantation.
(d) In the Robbins' family cemetery.
4. Who is Clara Martin?
(a) Skiffington's cousin by marriage.
(b) Skiffington's mother.
(c) Skiffington's cousin.
(d) Skiffington's mother-in-law.
5. What mistake does Frazier make when he approaches this woman to discuss his latest writing project?
(a) Frazier assumes she is white.
(b) Frazier assumes she once owned slaves.
(c) Frazier assumes she was once a slave.
(d) Fazier assumes she wants to talk about slavery.
6. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
(a) A new carriage.
(b) A middle-aged slave.
(c) A new house.
(d) A child slave.
7. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
(a) To die of a wasting disease.
(b) To live until he is the oldest man in the county.
(c) To die soon.
(d) To live to see slaves freed.
8. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
(a) The children might hurt themselves on the bushes.
(b) The children are sick and tired.
(c) A storm is coming.
(d) So he can eat all the berries.
9. Why did John Skiffington leave North Carolina?
(a) To bury his mother in her home state.
(b) His father had a dream that they should free their slaves and all the slaves of the state.
(c) To be closer to his father's relatives.
(d) To move to a state where slave ownership was legal and encouraged.
10. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
(a) Lost possessions.
(b) The abuse of a child.
(c) An interest in the same girl.
(d) Bitter words about a mutual friend.
11. What unusual demand does Moses make to Robbins?
(a) Moses insists he is a free man.
(b) Moses insists that he is worth more than Robbins pays.
(c) Moses insists Robbins pay a good price.
(d) Moses insists he and Bessie, the other slave, remain together.
12. What does the new sheriff organize to help crack down on runaway slaves?
(a) A twenty man deputy roll.
(b) A twelve man slave patrol.
(c) A hundred man military regiment.
(d) A fifty man militia.
13. With whom does Skiffington side when the feud over Travis' cow gets out of hand?
(b) The new owner.
14. What does Augustus Townsend do to make his living?
(a) Serves food in a restaurant.
(b) Is a deputy sheriff.
(c) Makes boots.
(d) Builds furniture.
15. What event caused the loss of county records in Manchester County?
(a) A 1912 fire.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) The dissolution of the county.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
2. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
3. How is Luke killed?
4. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
5. What do these men do to Augustus despite the fact that he is a free man?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)