|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Skiffington meet his future bride?
(a) At the local hotel.
(b) At the local merchantile.
(c) At the home of Gilly Patterson.
(d) At the home of William Robbins.
2. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
(a) Alice was hit in the head by a mule.
(b) Alice was abused by a previous owner.
(c) Alice is looking for her missing child.
(d) Alice is afraid of small spaces.
3. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York.
4. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
(a) Cut off his toes.
(b) Hobble him.
(c) Cut off his tongue.
(d) Cut off his ear.
5. Who is Philomena?
(a) Robbins' cousin.
(b) Robbins' housekeeper.
(c) Robbins' black mistress and mother of two of his children.
(d) Robbins' personal maid.
6. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) Barnum Kinsey.
(b) William Robbins.
(c) Oden Peoples.
(d) John Skiffington.
7. What type of writing does Anderson Frazier do?
(d) Non-fiction books.
8. Who opens the crate and frees Rita after her forty-one hour trip East?
(a) A cop named Paddy Smith.
(b) An immigrant named Mary Conlon.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Augustus Townsend.
9. What does Augustus Townsend do to make his living?
(a) Builds furniture.
(b) Serves food in a restaurant.
(c) Is a deputy sheriff.
(d) Makes boots.
10. Why does Travis decide he wants the cow returned to him after he has already sold it?
(a) The new owner learns the cow is expecting a calf.
(b) It begins producing milk.
(c) The new owner sells it for more money than he paid for it.
(d) It gets over the illness that should have killed it.
11. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
12. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
(a) A slave Henry knew as a child with a similar injury.
(b) His own imagination.
(c) A story told to him by other slave owners.
(d) A story in the newspaper.
13. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
(a) Talks to herself.
(b) Calls for her missing family.
(c) Picks weeds.
14. Who is Reverend Moffett having an affair with?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His sister-in-law.
(d) His neighbor.
15. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
(d) Back to North Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
2. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
3. Who admonishes Henry to show vigilance and responsibility toward his slaves?
4. Who is Rita?
5. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)