|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
(a) Life in prison.
(b) A fine.
(d) Time served.
2. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
(a) New York.
(d) Washington, D.C.
3. With whom does Skiffington side when the feud over Travis' cow gets out of hand?
(b) The new owner.
4. What place does Calvin dream of going to, in hopes that his passions will be reciprocated?
(c) New York.
5. Why do Alice's owners put up with her odd behavior?
(a) Alice is the daughter of the owner's cousin.
(b) Alice is entertaining.
(c) Alice is a brillant artist.
(d) Alice is a good worker.
6. Who dies as his wife and teacher discuss the fate of two slaves whose owner has died?
(a) Calvin Newman.
(b) Henry Townsend.
(c) John Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
7. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) Oden Peoples.
(b) John Skiffington.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Barnum Kinsey.
8. What did Maude's husband, Tilmon, want to do with their slaves after the death of their third child?
(a) Kill them.
(b) Sell them.
(c) Free them.
(d) Buy more.
9. Who is Philomena?
(a) Robbins' personal maid.
(b) Robbins' housekeeper.
(c) Robbins' black mistress and mother of two of his children.
(d) Robbins' cousin.
10. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) On Christmas Day.
(b) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
(c) On the day Henry dies.
(d) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
11. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
(a) His wife, Mildred.
(b) His son, Jack.
(c) His cousin, Mike.
(d) His mother, Rita.
12. What subject does Anderson Frazier generally write about?
(a) American politics.
(b) American peculiarities.
(c) American romance.
(d) American history.
13. What has Fern's mother taught her about the man she should marry?
(a) Not to marry a man with more money than her.
(b) Not to marry a man with less money than her.
(c) Not to marry a man with darker skin than her own.
(d) Not to marry a man with lighter skin than her own.
14. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
(a) Alice was abused by a previous owner.
(b) Alice is afraid of small spaces.
(c) Alice is looking for her missing child.
(d) Alice was hit in the head by a mule.
15. Who does Fern say was the first freed slave she taught and possibly her brightest student?
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does one of the jurors on Broussard's trial believe the man was convicted?
2. Who is Skiffington's future bride?
3. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
4. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
5. Who takes in Stamford to help heal his wounds after a fight with his cabin mate, Clement?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)