|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
(a) She is his lover.
(b) She is his daughter.
(c) She is his slave.
(d) She is his wife.
2. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
(a) His son, Jack.
(b) His cousin, Mike.
(c) His mother, Rita.
(d) His wife, Mildred.
3. Who does Henry attempt to choke during a disagreement over dinner at Fern's one Sunday night?
4. With whom does Skiffington side when the feud over Travis' cow gets out of hand?
(c) The new owner.
5. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
(a) A storm is coming.
(b) The children might hurt themselves on the bushes.
(c) The children are sick and tired.
(d) So he can eat all the berries.
6. For what reason does one of the jurors on Broussard's trial believe the man was convicted?
(a) He was poor.
(b) He was a slaveholder.
(c) He had a foreign accent.
(d) He was guilty.
7. What does the Act of 1806 require?
(a) That all freed slaves carry freedom papers.
(b) That all freed slaves pay extra taxes on their income.
(c) That all freed slaves leave Virginia within twelve months.
(d) That all freed slaves register with local law enforcement.
8. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
(a) His brother.
(b) His wife.
(c) His business partner.
(d) His neighbor.
9. Who stops Augustus as he makes his way home after delivery furniture to a client?
(a) Travis, Skiffington, and Robbins.
(b) Travis, Peoples, and Kinsey.
(c) Peoples, Kinsey, and Elias.
(d) Skiffington, Robbins, and Thomas.
10. What does Augustus Townsend do to make his living?
(a) Serves food in a restaurant.
(b) Is a deputy sheriff.
(c) Makes boots.
(d) Builds furniture.
11. What habit does Ramsey have that causes trouble for him and for Fern?
12. Who is Clara Martin?
(a) Skiffington's mother-in-law.
(b) Skiffington's cousin by marriage.
(c) Skiffington's mother.
(d) Skiffington's cousin.
13. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
14. Who is Skiffington's future bride?
(a) Clara Martin.
(b) Fern Elston.
(c) Minerva Skiffington.
(d) Winifred Patterson.
15. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
(d) Runaway slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
2. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
3. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
4. What has Fern's mother taught her about the man she should marry?
5. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)