|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who takes in Stamford to help heal his wounds after a fight with his cabin mate, Clement?
2. What ailment does Robbins suffer from?
(b) High blood pressure.
3. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
(a) Freedom papers.
(b) A passport.
(c) An ID badge.
(d) A pass from the Townsend plantation.
4. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
(d) Back to North Carolina.
5. What type of writing does Anderson Frazier do?
(d) Non-fiction books.
6. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
(a) He was once a slave himself.
(b) He owned slaves.
(c) He had no money.
(d) His skin was darker than Caldonia's.
7. What decision does Moses make that angers Caldonia?
(a) To punish Stamford and Clement.
(b) To punish lazy slaves with whippings.
(c) To force the slaves to work past dark.
(d) To refuse the slaves food and water.
8. Who does Caldonia believe is a better master to slaves--a white man or a black man?
(a) A white man with a black overseer.
(b) A black man with a white overseer.
(c) A black man.
(d) A white man.
9. Who is Clara Martin?
(a) Skiffington's mother-in-law.
(b) Skiffington's cousin.
(c) Skiffington's mother.
(d) Skiffington's cousin by marriage.
10. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
(a) A child slave.
(b) A new house.
(c) A middle-aged slave.
(d) A new carriage.
11. What is John Skiffington's job at the time he decides to marry?
(a) Deputy sheriff.
(b) Slave patroller.
12. How many children do Caldonia and Henry have?
13. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His brother.
(c) His wife.
(d) His business partner.
14. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
(b) Time served.
(c) A fine.
(d) Life in prison.
15. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
(a) Alice Night.
(b) Mildred Townsend.
(c) Fern Elston.
(d) Caldonia Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Alice's owners put up with her odd behavior?
2. Who opens the crate and frees Rita after her forty-one hour trip East?
3. Why does Travis decide he wants the cow returned to him after he has already sold it?
4. What do Henry's parents often bring him on their Sunday visits to Robbins' plantation?
5. What object does Calvin own that inspires his dreams of moving away from Manchester County to find love and passion?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)