|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what reason does one of the jurors on Broussard's trial believe the man was convicted?
(a) He had a foreign accent.
(b) He was a slaveholder.
(c) He was guilty.
(d) He was poor.
2. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
(a) Back to North Carolina.
3. Who dies as his wife and teacher discuss the fate of two slaves whose owner has died?
(a) Calvin Newman.
(b) William Robbins.
(c) John Skiffington.
(d) Henry Townsend.
4. What fear causes Clara to call Skiffington to her home?
(a) That her slave, Ralph, is going to run away.
(b) That her slave, Ralph, is dying.
(c) That her slave, Ralph, is going to kill her.
(d) That her slave, Ralph, is stealing from her.
5. Who stops Augustus as he makes his way home after delivery furniture to a client?
(a) Peoples, Kinsey, and Elias.
(b) Travis, Skiffington, and Robbins.
(c) Travis, Peoples, and Kinsey.
(d) Skiffington, Robbins, and Thomas.
6. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(b) On the day Henry dies.
(c) On Christmas Day.
(d) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
7. Where does Skiffington meet his future bride?
(a) At the local hotel.
(b) At the home of Gilly Patterson.
(c) At the local merchantile.
(d) At the home of William Robbins.
8. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(d) New York.
9. Who is Moses?
(a) Overseer of slaves on a Virginia plantation.
(b) Son of a plantation owner in Virginia.
(c) Farmer in Virginia.
(d) Slave owner on a Virginia plantation.
10. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
(a) His son, Jack.
(b) His wife, Mildred.
(c) His cousin, Mike.
(d) His mother, Rita.
11. Who does Henry attempt to choke during a disagreement over dinner at Fern's one Sunday night?
12. Why do the large landowners of Manchester County become unhappy with Sheriff Patterson?
(a) Due to the incidences of missing slaves.
(b) Due to an increase in the sheriff's salary.
(c) Due to incidences of cruelty against slaves.
(d) Due to the increase in crime.
13. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
(a) Due to the fact that he enjoys keeping slaves.
(b) Due to the fact that it is sanctioned in the Bible.
(c) Due to the fact that the Southern economy relies on it.
(d) Due to the fact that it is legal under Virginia law.
14. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
(a) He had no money.
(b) His skin was darker than Caldonia's.
(c) He was once a slave himself.
(d) He owned slaves.
15. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
(a) Making boots.
(b) Working in cotton fields.
(c) Making furniture with his father.
(d) Caring for the horses on a local farm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
2. Who is Luke?
3. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
4. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
5. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)