|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
(a) To live until he is the oldest man in the county.
(b) To die soon.
(c) To live to see slaves freed.
(d) To die of a wasting disease.
2. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
(b) On the day Henry dies.
(c) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(d) On Christmas Day.
3. Who is Luke?
(a) A twelve year old slave who makes trouble on the Townsend plantation.
(b) A twelve year old boy Celeste and Elias have befriended.
(c) The twelve year old son of Moses.
(d) The twelve year old son of Henry Townsend.
4. For what reason does one of the jurors on Broussard's trial believe the man was convicted?
(a) He was a slaveholder.
(b) He was guilty.
(c) He had a foreign accent.
(d) He was poor.
5. What has Fern's mother taught her about the man she should marry?
(a) Not to marry a man with lighter skin than her own.
(b) Not to marry a man with more money than her.
(c) Not to marry a man with darker skin than her own.
(d) Not to marry a man with less money than her.
6. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
(a) A new map of the world.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A new gun.
(d) A new slave.
7. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
(a) Clarence Wilford.
(b) Barnum Kinsey.
(c) Henry Townsend.
(d) Oden Peoples.
8. What place does Calvin dream of going to, in hopes that his passions will be reciprocated?
(b) New York.
9. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
(d) Runaway slaves.
10. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
(a) A military regime brought in.
(b) A militia formed.
(c) A slave patrol organized.
(d) An increase in the number of deputies.
11. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
(b) Picks weeds.
(c) Talks to herself.
(d) Calls for her missing family.
12. Who does Caldonia believe is a better master to slaves--a white man or a black man?
(a) A white man with a black overseer.
(b) A white man.
(c) A black man with a white overseer.
(d) A black man.
13. What is John Skiffington's job at the time he decides to marry?
(c) Deputy sheriff.
(d) Slave patroller.
14. Who digs Henry's grave before the funeral service?
(a) Moses, Elias, and Stamford.
(b) Calvin, Louis, and Augustus.
(c) Calvin, Robbins, and Moses.
(d) The male slaves.
15. In whose crate does Rita hide in order to attempt her escape?
(a) The Robbins'.
(b) The Skiffingtons'.
(c) The Pattersons'.
(d) The Townsends'.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
2. How many children do Caldonia and Henry have?
3. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
4. What does the new sheriff organize to help crack down on runaway slaves?
5. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)