|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the shipping crate take Rita?
(a) Washington, D.C.
(c) New York.
2. What does Skiffington often stop to do while traveling on horseback?
(c) Speak with neighbors.
(d) Read his Bible.
3. Which woman does Elias develop an affection for while a slave on the Townsend Plantation?
4. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
(a) A new horse.
(b) A new gun.
(c) A new slave.
(d) A new map of the world.
5. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
(a) Bitter words about a mutual friend.
(b) The abuse of a child.
(c) Lost possessions.
(d) An interest in the same girl.
6. Why do Robbins and Henry come to the sheriff's office to see Skiffington while Broussard is a prisoner there?
(a) Travis has been cruel to Henry.
(b) Henry has been robbed.
(c) Robbins is missing a slave.
(d) Travis has been cruel to Robbins.
7. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
(a) To live to see slaves freed.
(b) To die of a wasting disease.
(c) To die soon.
(d) To live until he is the oldest man in the county.
8. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
(a) Augustus Townsend's walking sticks.
(b) John Skiffington's books.
(c) William Robbins' whips.
(d) Gilly Patterson's clothing.
9. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
(a) Hobble him.
(b) Cut off his toes.
(c) Cut off his tongue.
(d) Cut off his ear.
10. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
(d) Runaway slaves.
11. What place does Calvin dream of going to, in hopes that his passions will be reciprocated?
(d) New York.
12. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
(a) His skin was darker than Caldonia's.
(b) He was once a slave himself.
(c) He had no money.
(d) He owned slaves.
13. Who is Clara Martin?
(a) Skiffington's mother.
(b) Skiffington's mother-in-law.
(c) Skiffington's cousin by marriage.
(d) Skiffington's cousin.
14. What threat does Robbins level on Philamena when she returns from Richmond after her second attempt to run away?
(a) That he will see her hanged.
(b) That her freedom papers will mean nothing if he decides to sell her back into slavery.
(c) That he will beat her within an inch of her life.
(d) That he will make sure she is left with no money and no place to live.
15. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
(a) To make a nightly report to her personally.
(b) To leave decision making to her and her family.
(c) To turn over the overseer's job to Louis.
(d) To create a democracy where all the slaves make the major decisions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Robbins react when he finds Philamena in Richmond after she has run away a second time?
2. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
3. What mistake does Frazier make when he approaches this woman to discuss his latest writing project?
4. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
5. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)