|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
(b) Calls for her missing family.
(c) Talks to herself.
(d) Picks weeds.
2. Who is Philomena?
(a) Robbins' cousin.
(b) Robbins' black mistress and mother of two of his children.
(c) Robbins' personal maid.
(d) Robbins' housekeeper.
3. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Divorced him.
(c) Sued him.
(d) Stabbed him.
4. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
(a) His mother, Rita.
(b) His cousin, Mike.
(c) His wife, Mildred.
(d) His son, Jack.
5. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
(a) Alice was abused by a previous owner.
(b) Alice was hit in the head by a mule.
(c) Alice is afraid of small spaces.
(d) Alice is looking for her missing child.
6. What word does Maude use to refer to Caldonia and Calvin's slaves?
7. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
(a) Bribes the overseer so he does not have to work.
(b) Bribes the slave patrol to allow him to wander the countryside.
(c) Bribes the groom to give him the position.
(d) Bribes Robbins to keep raising his price.
8. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
(a) William Robbins' whips.
(b) Gilly Patterson's clothing.
(c) Augustus Townsend's walking sticks.
(d) John Skiffington's books.
9. How does Robbins react when he finds Philamena in Richmond after she has run away a second time?
(a) He has her arrested.
(b) He offers her a divorce.
(c) He threatens to lock her in her room,
(d) He beats her to near death.
10. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
(c) Runaway slaves.
11. What do these men do to Augustus despite the fact that he is a free man?
(a) Sell him to William Robbins.
(b) Arrest him for being a run away slave.
(c) Arrest him for breaking the Act of 1806.
(d) Sell him to slave traders.
12. Where does Skiffington meet his future bride?
(a) At the home of William Robbins.
(b) At the local hotel.
(c) At the home of Gilly Patterson.
(d) At the local merchantile.
13. What object does Calvin own that inspires his dreams of moving away from Manchester County to find love and passion?
(a) A snowglobe.
(b) A picture of a family.
(c) A magazine article.
(d) A newspaper clipping.
14. How many children do Caldonia and Henry have?
15. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
(a) Henry Townsend.
(b) William Robbins.
(c) Counsel Skiffington.
(d) John Skiffington.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the slave, Stamford, insist on only consorting with young women rather than women his own age?
2. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
3. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
4. Why are the slave patrols formed?
5. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)