|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
(a) An apartment over the garage.
(b) The slave quarters.
(c) A mother-in-law house.
(d) The main house.
2. In whose crate does Rita hide in order to attempt her escape?
(a) The Robbins'.
(b) The Skiffingtons'.
(c) The Pattersons'.
(d) The Townsends'.
3. What is the major legal issue facing Sheriff Skiffington?
(d) Runaway slaves.
4. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
(a) To turn over the overseer's job to Louis.
(b) To create a democracy where all the slaves make the major decisions.
(c) To leave decision making to her and her family.
(d) To make a nightly report to her personally.
5. What object is Elias whittling in Chapter 1?
(a) A horse.
(b) A doll.
(c) A whistle.
(d) A bowl.
6. To whom does Revend Moffett preach obedience?
(a) The slaves.
(b) Indentured slaves.
(c) Law officials.
(d) White servants.
7. What fear causes Clara to call Skiffington to her home?
(a) That her slave, Ralph, is going to kill her.
(b) That her slave, Ralph, is going to run away.
(c) That her slave, Ralph, is stealing from her.
(d) That her slave, Ralph, is dying.
8. Who is Rita?
(a) A slave who knows how to read and teaches others to read.
(b) A slave who became surrogate mother to Henry Townsend after his parents bought their freedom.
(c) A slave who works as personal maid to Robbins' wife.
(d) A slave who was killed by a slave owner attempting to cause fear in other runaway slaves.
9. Who does Caldonia believe is a better master to slaves--a white man or a black man?
(a) A black man with a white overseer.
(b) A white man.
(c) A black man.
(d) A white man with a black overseer.
10. What does the Act of 1806 require?
(a) That all freed slaves carry freedom papers.
(b) That all freed slaves pay extra taxes on their income.
(c) That all freed slaves register with local law enforcement.
(d) That all freed slaves leave Virginia within twelve months.
11. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
(a) An interest in the same girl.
(b) Lost possessions.
(c) The abuse of a child.
(d) Bitter words about a mutual friend.
12. What has Fern's mother taught her about the man she should marry?
(a) Not to marry a man with less money than her.
(b) Not to marry a man with lighter skin than her own.
(c) Not to marry a man with darker skin than her own.
(d) Not to marry a man with more money than her.
13. Who is Reverend Moffett having an affair with?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) His sister-in-law.
(d) His neighbor.
14. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
(a) A horse for Luke.
(b) A doll for Tessie.
(c) A comb for Celeste.
(d) A carriage for Clement.
15. Why do the large landowners of Manchester County become unhappy with Sheriff Patterson?
(a) Due to the incidences of missing slaves.
(b) Due to incidences of cruelty against slaves.
(c) Due to an increase in the sheriff's salary.
(d) Due to the increase in crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
2. What do the slaves on Townsend Plantation fear most when they hear of the death of Henry Townsend?
3. For whom does John Skiffington work?
4. What does Skiffington think should be done with Minerva, his slave, if the family were to move?
5. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)