|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event caused the loss of county records in Manchester County?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A 1912 fire.
(c) The Civil War.
(d) The dissolution of the county.
2. Why does Robbins order Moses to undress in the sheriff's office?
(a) To prove he raped a girl.
(b) To humiliate him.
(c) To decide whether he is worth purchasing.
(d) To show Henry how to judge a slave.
3. What does Skiffington often stop to do while traveling on horseback?
(a) Read his Bible.
(c) Speak with neighbors.
4. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
(a) Slaves in general.
(b) The romantic life of an American slave.
(c) Blacks owning black slaves.
(d) The Emancipation of American slaves.
5. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
(a) Caldonia Townsend.
(b) Alice Night.
(c) Fern Elston.
(d) Mildred Townsend.
6. Why did John Skiffington leave North Carolina?
(a) To bury his mother in her home state.
(b) To be closer to his father's relatives.
(c) His father had a dream that they should free their slaves and all the slaves of the state.
(d) To move to a state where slave ownership was legal and encouraged.
7. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
(a) To die soon.
(b) To live to see slaves freed.
(c) To die of a wasting disease.
(d) To live until he is the oldest man in the county.
8. Who does Caldonia believe is a better master to slaves--a white man or a black man?
(a) A black man.
(b) A white man with a black overseer.
(c) A white man.
(d) A black man with a white overseer.
9. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
(a) The abuse of a child.
(b) An interest in the same girl.
(c) Lost possessions.
(d) Bitter words about a mutual friend.
10. What does Frazier's interviewee claim made slavery okay?
(a) It was a way of life, the only way most people knew.
(b) Both the law and Bible sanctioned it.
(c) The President said it was.
(d) The politicians said it was.
11. Who takes in Stamford to help heal his wounds after a fight with his cabin mate, Clement?
12. Who dies as his wife and teacher discuss the fate of two slaves whose owner has died?
(a) Calvin Newman.
(b) John Skiffington.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Henry Townsend.
13. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
(a) Making boots.
(b) Caring for the horses on a local farm.
(c) Making furniture with his father.
(d) Working in cotton fields.
14. Who are Louis and Dora?
(a) Robbins' slaves.
(b) Robbins' children with his wife.
(c) Robbins' children with Philamena.
(d) Robbins' freed servants.
15. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
(a) Stabbed him.
(b) Poisoned him.
(c) Divorced him.
(d) Sued him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
2. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
3. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
4. Why does the slave, Stamford, insist on only consorting with young women rather than women his own age?
5. Why do Alice's owners put up with her odd behavior?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)