|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event caused the loss of county records in Manchester County?
(a) The Civil War.
(b) The dissolution of the county.
(c) An earthquake.
(d) A 1912 fire.
2. Why does Travis decide he wants the cow returned to him after he has already sold it?
(a) It begins producing milk.
(b) The new owner sells it for more money than he paid for it.
(c) It gets over the illness that should have killed it.
(d) The new owner learns the cow is expecting a calf.
3. Who opens the crate and frees Rita after her forty-one hour trip East?
(a) Augustus Townsend.
(b) A cop named Paddy Smith.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) An immigrant named Mary Conlon.
4. Why do the large landowners of Manchester County become unhappy with Sheriff Patterson?
(a) Due to the increase in crime.
(b) Due to the incidences of missing slaves.
(c) Due to incidences of cruelty against slaves.
(d) Due to an increase in the sheriff's salary.
5. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
(a) A new house.
(b) A middle-aged slave.
(c) A new carriage.
(d) A child slave.
6. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
(a) His neighbor.
(b) His brother.
(c) His business partner.
(d) His wife.
7. Who is Reverend Moffett having an affair with?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His mother-in-law.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His sister-in-law.
8. What does Augustus Townsend do to make his living?
(a) Serves food in a restaurant.
(b) Makes boots.
(c) Is a deputy sheriff.
(d) Builds furniture.
9. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
(a) A slave patrol organized.
(b) A military regime brought in.
(c) An increase in the number of deputies.
(d) A militia formed.
10. What type of writing does Anderson Frazier do?
(b) Non-fiction books.
11. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
(a) Owning slaves in general.
(c) Running a plantation.
(d) Selling him two slaves.
12. What object is Elias whittling in Chapter 1?
(a) A whistle.
(b) A bowl.
(c) A doll.
(d) A horse.
13. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) John Skiffington.
(b) Barnum Kinsey.
(c) Oden Peoples.
(d) William Robbins.
14. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
(a) Bribes Robbins to keep raising his price.
(b) Bribes the slave patrol to allow him to wander the countryside.
(c) Bribes the groom to give him the position.
(d) Bribes the overseer so he does not have to work.
15. What unusual demand does Moses make to Robbins?
(a) Moses insists Robbins pay a good price.
(b) Moses insists that he is worth more than Robbins pays.
(c) Moses insists he and Bessie, the other slave, remain together.
(d) Moses insists he is a free man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Augustus as he makes his way home after delivery furniture to a client?
2. What punishment did Henry hire Oden Peoples to carry out against Elias for attempting to run away?
3. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
4. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
5. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)