|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
(a) Bribes the slave patrol to allow him to wander the countryside.
(b) Bribes the overseer so he does not have to work.
(c) Bribes Robbins to keep raising his price.
(d) Bribes the groom to give him the position.
2. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
(a) He was once a slave himself.
(b) He had no money.
(c) His skin was darker than Caldonia's.
(d) He owned slaves.
3. In whose crate does Rita hide in order to attempt her escape?
(a) The Pattersons'.
(b) The Townsends'.
(c) The Robbins'.
(d) The Skiffingtons'.
4. What does Maude keep pressuring Caldonia to do in Chapter 6?
(a) Free the slaves.
(b) Stop grieving and remarry.
(c) Sell the plantation and the slaves.
(d) Stop grieving and make a decision regarding the slaves.
5. What does Frazier's interviewee claim made slavery okay?
(a) The President said it was.
(b) It was a way of life, the only way most people knew.
(c) Both the law and Bible sanctioned it.
(d) The politicians said it was.
6. For what reason does one of the jurors on Broussard's trial believe the man was convicted?
(a) He had a foreign accent.
(b) He was guilty.
(c) He was a slaveholder.
(d) He was poor.
7. To whom does patroller Travis sell a dying cow?
(a) Oden Peoples.
(b) Barnum Kinsey.
(c) Clarence Wilford.
(d) Henry Townsend.
8. What does Skiffington think should be done with Minerva, his slave, if the family were to move?
(a) She should be sold to a plantation.
(b) She should be forced into a beneficial marriage.
(c) She should be freed.
(d) She should remain with the family who cares for her.
9. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
10. Which woman does Elias develop an affection for while a slave on the Townsend Plantation?
11. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
(b) Calls for her missing family.
(c) Talks to herself.
(d) Picks weeds.
12. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
(a) Due to the fact that he enjoys keeping slaves.
(b) Due to the fact that the Southern economy relies on it.
(c) Due to the fact that it is sanctioned in the Bible.
(d) Due to the fact that it is legal under Virginia law.
13. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
(a) The children might hurt themselves on the bushes.
(b) The children are sick and tired.
(c) So he can eat all the berries.
(d) A storm is coming.
14. What has Fern's mother taught her about the man she should marry?
(a) Not to marry a man with lighter skin than her own.
(b) Not to marry a man with darker skin than her own.
(c) Not to marry a man with more money than her.
(d) Not to marry a man with less money than her.
15. Why does Loretta suggest fieldwork be suspended in the aftermath of Henry Townsend's death?
(a) To keep from disturbing the mourners.
(b) To prevent spoiling the journey of Henry's soul.
(c) To wait until decisions are made as to what to do with the plantation and slaves.
(d) To prevent misunderstandings later.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
2. What object is Elias whittling in Chapter 1?
3. How does Augustus react to the news that Henry has become a slave owner?
4. What does Calvin swear he would do with his own slaves if his mother was not standing in his way?
5. Where does Henry request he be buried?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)