Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Caldonia order Moses to do in the future in regard to decisions about the slaves?
(a) To make a nightly report to her personally.
(b) To create a democracy where all the slaves make the major decisions.
(c) To leave decision making to her and her family.
(d) To turn over the overseer's job to Louis.
2. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
(a) Rev. Morris.
(d) Rev. Moffett.
3. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
(a) A mother-in-law house.
(b) The main house.
(c) An apartment over the garage.
(d) The slave quarters.
4. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
(a) A militia formed.
(b) A military regime brought in.
(c) A slave patrol organized.
(d) An increase in the number of deputies.
5. Why do people believe Alice wanders at night?
(a) Alice was hit in the head by a mule.
(b) Alice was abused by a previous owner.
(c) Alice is looking for her missing child.
(d) Alice is afraid of small spaces.
6. What does Stamford believe is his fate?
(a) To die soon.
(b) To live to see slaves freed.
(c) To die of a wasting disease.
(d) To live until he is the oldest man in the county.
7. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
(a) Blacks owning black slaves.
(b) The Emancipation of American slaves.
(c) The romantic life of an American slave.
(d) Slaves in general.
8. What ailment does Robbins suffer from?
(d) High blood pressure.
9. Why does the slave, Stamford, insist on only consorting with young women rather than women his own age?
(a) He believes only the young ones can excite his desires.
(b) He believes the young ones will help make being a slave easier to stand.
(c) He believes only the young ones can keep up with his stamina.
(d) He believes only the young ones understand his needs.
10. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His business partner.
(d) His neighbor.
11. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
(a) His skin was darker than Caldonia's.
(b) He had no money.
(c) He owned slaves.
(d) He was once a slave himself.
12. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
(a) The abuse of a child.
(b) An interest in the same girl.
(c) Bitter words about a mutual friend.
(d) Lost possessions.
13. Who digs Henry's grave before the funeral service?
(a) Moses, Elias, and Stamford.
(b) Calvin, Louis, and Augustus.
(c) The male slaves.
(d) Calvin, Robbins, and Moses.
14. Who does Augustus buy from his former owner, William Robbins?
(a) His cousin, Mike.
(b) His son, Jack.
(c) His wife, Mildred.
(d) His mother, Rita.
15. What has Fern's mother taught her about the man she should marry?
(a) Not to marry a man with darker skin than her own.
(b) Not to marry a man with more money than her.
(c) Not to marry a man with lighter skin than her own.
(d) Not to marry a man with less money than her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
2. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
3. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
4. What subject does Anderson Frazier generally write about?
5. Who is Philomena?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)