|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Frazier's interviewee claim made slavery okay?
(a) Both the law and Bible sanctioned it.
(b) It was a way of life, the only way most people knew.
(c) The politicians said it was.
(d) The President said it was.
2. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
(a) An ID badge.
(b) A passport.
(c) Freedom papers.
(d) A pass from the Townsend plantation.
3. Why do Robbins and Henry come to the sheriff's office to see Skiffington while Broussard is a prisoner there?
(a) Travis has been cruel to Robbins.
(b) Travis has been cruel to Henry.
(c) Henry has been robbed.
(d) Robbins is missing a slave.
4. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) John Skiffington.
(c) Barnum Kinsey.
(d) Oden Peoples.
5. Which woman does Elias develop an affection for while a slave on the Townsend Plantation?
6. What is Anderson Frazier's latest project about?
(a) The romantic life of an American slave.
(b) Slaves in general.
(c) Blacks owning black slaves.
(d) The Emancipation of American slaves.
7. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
(a) John Skiffington.
(b) William Robbins.
(c) Henry Townsend.
(d) Counsel Skiffington.
8. What object is Elias whittling in Chapter 1?
(a) A bowl.
(b) A horse.
(c) A doll.
(d) A whistle.
9. For what reason does one of the jurors on Broussard's trial believe the man was convicted?
(a) He had a foreign accent.
(b) He was a slaveholder.
(c) He was poor.
(d) He was guilty.
10. Who does Anderson Frazier approach to speak to about his latest writing project?
(a) Mildred Townsend.
(b) Alice Night.
(c) Caldonia Townsend.
(d) Fern Elston.
11. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
(b) On Christmas Day.
(c) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(d) On the day Henry dies.
12. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
(a) Time served.
(c) A fine.
(d) Life in prison.
13. What object does Calvin own that inspires his dreams of moving away from Manchester County to find love and passion?
(a) A newspaper clipping.
(b) A snowglobe.
(c) A picture of a family.
(d) A magazine article.
14. What does Maude keep pressuring Caldonia to do in Chapter 6?
(a) Stop grieving and make a decision regarding the slaves.
(b) Sell the plantation and the slaves.
(c) Stop grieving and remarry.
(d) Free the slaves.
15. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
(a) Bribes the slave patrol to allow him to wander the countryside.
(b) Bribes the groom to give him the position.
(c) Bribes the overseer so he does not have to work.
(d) Bribes Robbins to keep raising his price.
Short Answer Questions
1. What mistake does Frazier make when he approaches this woman to discuss his latest writing project?
2. What does Rita hide under inside this crate in order to escape?
3. What does the Act of 1806 require?
4. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
5. Who is Moses?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)