|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Revend Moffett preach obedience?
(a) Indentured slaves.
(b) White servants.
(c) Law officials.
(d) The slaves.
2. What does Broussard offer to buy for Skiffington with the proceeds from the sale of Moses?
(a) A new map of the world.
(b) A new horse.
(c) A new slave.
(d) A new gun.
3. What does the Act of 1806 require?
(a) That all freed slaves register with local law enforcement.
(b) That all freed slaves carry freedom papers.
(c) That all freed slaves pay extra taxes on their income.
(d) That all freed slaves leave Virginia within twelve months.
4. Who is Clara Martin?
(a) Skiffington's mother-in-law.
(b) Skiffington's cousin by marriage.
(c) Skiffington's cousin.
(d) Skiffington's mother.
5. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
(a) She is his lover.
(b) She is his daughter.
(c) She is his slave.
(d) She is his wife.
6. Who is Luke?
(a) A twelve year old boy Celeste and Elias have befriended.
(b) The twelve year old son of Henry Townsend.
(c) The twelve year old son of Moses.
(d) A twelve year old slave who makes trouble on the Townsend plantation.
7. What did Maude do to stop her husband from doing what he wanted with his slaves?
(a) Poisoned him.
(b) Sued him.
(c) Divorced him.
(d) Stabbed him.
8. Why does Robbins order Moses to undress in the sheriff's office?
(a) To prove he raped a girl.
(b) To decide whether he is worth purchasing.
(c) To show Henry how to judge a slave.
(d) To humiliate him.
9. Why does Travis decide he wants the cow returned to him after he has already sold it?
(a) The new owner sells it for more money than he paid for it.
(b) It gets over the illness that should have killed it.
(c) The new owner learns the cow is expecting a calf.
(d) It begins producing milk.
10. Where does Skiffington meet his future bride?
(a) At the home of Gilly Patterson.
(b) At the local hotel.
(c) At the home of William Robbins.
(d) At the local merchantile.
11. Who is Reverend Moffett having an affair with?
(a) His mother-in-law.
(b) His cousin.
(c) His neighbor.
(d) His sister-in-law.
12. Why are the slave patrols formed?
(a) To find Henry's parents after they ran away.
(b) To find two slaves Robbins mistakenly sold.
(c) To find two slaves who escaped Robbins' plantation.
(d) To find slaves stolen by abolishonists.
13. Why does Fern believe Caldonia's mother never would have allowed Henry to court her daughter?
(a) He had no money.
(b) He was once a slave himself.
(c) His skin was darker than Caldonia's.
(d) He owned slaves.
14. What did Maude's husband, Tilmon, want to do with their slaves after the death of their third child?
(a) Sell them.
(b) Kill them.
(c) Buy more.
(d) Free them.
15. For whom does John Skiffington work?
(a) The people of Manchester County.
(b) Sheriff Gilly Patterson.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Henry Townsend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skiffington often stop to do while traveling on horseback?
2. What unusual demand does Moses make to Robbins?
3. How is Luke killed?
4. Why does Robbins continuously raise the asking price for Henry as Augustus attempts to buy his freedom?
5. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)