|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom does Skiffington side when the feud over Travis' cow gets out of hand?
(a) The new owner.
2. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
(a) A child slave.
(b) A new house.
(c) A middle-aged slave.
(d) A new carriage.
3. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
(a) To have children.
(b) To obey the Bible.
(c) To please his father.
(d) To have a companion.
4. What mistake does Frazier make when he approaches this woman to discuss his latest writing project?
(a) Frazier assumes she was once a slave.
(b) Fazier assumes she wants to talk about slavery.
(c) Frazier assumes she once owned slaves.
(d) Frazier assumes she is white.
5. Why does Stamford stop a couple of children from picking blueberries one late afternoon?
(a) The children might hurt themselves on the bushes.
(b) The children are sick and tired.
(c) A storm is coming.
(d) So he can eat all the berries.
6. Who is exempt from the Act of 1806 because of the generosity of local whites?
7. What has Fern's mother taught her about the man she should marry?
(a) Not to marry a man with less money than her.
(b) Not to marry a man with more money than her.
(c) Not to marry a man with lighter skin than her own.
(d) Not to marry a man with darker skin than her own.
8. What does Maude keep pressuring Caldonia to do in Chapter 6?
(a) Stop grieving and make a decision regarding the slaves.
(b) Stop grieving and remarry.
(c) Sell the plantation and the slaves.
(d) Free the slaves.
9. Who is Clara Martin?
(a) Skiffington's mother-in-law.
(b) Skiffington's cousin.
(c) Skiffington's mother.
(d) Skiffington's cousin by marriage.
10. What does Skiffington think should be done with Minerva, his slave, if the family were to move?
(a) She should be freed.
(b) She should be sold to a plantation.
(c) She should remain with the family who cares for her.
(d) She should be forced into a beneficial marriage.
11. What does Calvin swear he would do with his own slaves if his mother was not standing in his way?
(a) Whip them.
(b) Work them harder.
(c) Free them.
(d) Sell them.
12. How many children do Caldonia and Henry have?
13. On what occasion does Rita attempt to escape?
(a) On Christmas Day.
(b) On the day Henry dies.
(c) The day Henry's father buys his freedom.
(d) During the celebration for the Fourth of July.
14. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
(a) A slave patrol organized.
(b) A militia formed.
(c) An increase in the number of deputies.
(d) A military regime brought in.
15. Why does Robbins order Moses to undress in the sheriff's office?
(a) To humiliate him.
(b) To prove he raped a girl.
(c) To show Henry how to judge a slave.
(d) To decide whether he is worth purchasing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Augustus show these people that are later destroyed by one of these men?
2. Why does Robbins chase down Philamena himself when she runs away to Richmond a second time?
3. What do the slaves on Townsend Plantation fear most when they hear of the death of Henry Townsend?
4. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
5. Why do the large landowners of Manchester County become unhappy with Sheriff Patterson?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)