|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Calvin swear he would do with his own slaves if his mother was not standing in his way?
(a) Whip them.
(b) Work them harder.
(c) Free them.
(d) Sell them.
2. How does Robbins react when he finds Philamena in Richmond after she has run away a second time?
(a) He threatens to lock her in her room,
(b) He has her arrested.
(c) He beats her to near death.
(d) He offers her a divorce.
3. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
(a) Due to the fact that he enjoys keeping slaves.
(b) Due to the fact that the Southern economy relies on it.
(c) Due to the fact that it is legal under Virginia law.
(d) Due to the fact that it is sanctioned in the Bible.
4. From whom does Henry buy his first piece of land and his first slave?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) John Skiffington.
(c) Augustus Townsend.
(d) Gilly Patterson.
5. Who becomes Henry's mentor despite Augustus' disapproval?
(a) John Skiffington.
(b) Oden Peoples.
(c) William Robbins.
(d) Barnum Kinsey.
6. What is the first gift Elias ever whittled and who was it for?
(a) A comb for Celeste.
(b) A doll for Tessie.
(c) A horse for Luke.
(d) A carriage for Clement.
7. What event caused the loss of county records in Manchester County?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) The Civil War.
(c) A 1912 fire.
(d) The dissolution of the county.
8. What is unusual about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
(a) Henry is an abolitionist.
(b) Henry was once a slave himself.
(c) Henry was beaten by slaves.
(d) Henry is the child of slaves currently owned by a neighbor.
9. What is Broussard's punishment for his crime?
(a) A fine.
(b) Time served.
(c) Life in prison.
10. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
(a) Rev. Morris.
(c) Rev. Moffett.
11. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
(a) An apartment over the garage.
(b) The slave quarters.
(c) A mother-in-law house.
(d) The main house.
12. What inspires the punishment Henry orders for Elias when he is caught attempting to run away?
(a) A story told to him by other slave owners.
(b) A slave Henry knew as a child with a similar injury.
(c) His own imagination.
(d) A story in the newspaper.
13. What does Maude keep pressuring Caldonia to do in Chapter 6?
(a) Stop grieving and remarry.
(b) Sell the plantation and the slaves.
(c) Free the slaves.
(d) Stop grieving and make a decision regarding the slaves.
14. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
(a) A new house.
(b) A child slave.
(c) A middle-aged slave.
(d) A new carriage.
15. Who admonishes Henry to show vigilance and responsibility toward his slaves?
(a) Sheriff Skiffington.
(b) Caldonia Townsend.
(c) Augustus Townsend.
(d) William Robbins.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children do Caldonia and Henry have?
2. Why does Loretta suggest fieldwork be suspended in the aftermath of Henry Townsend's death?
3. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
4. What does Augustus Townsend do to make his living?
5. Where does Skiffington tell his wife he would someday like to move to?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)