|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rita?
(a) A slave who works as personal maid to Robbins' wife.
(b) A slave who knows how to read and teaches others to read.
(c) A slave who was killed by a slave owner attempting to cause fear in other runaway slaves.
(d) A slave who became surrogate mother to Henry Townsend after his parents bought their freedom.
2. To whom does Revend Moffett preach obedience?
(a) Indentured slaves.
(b) The slaves.
(c) Law officials.
(d) White servants.
3. What does Skiffington often stop to do while traveling on horseback?
(b) Speak with neighbors.
(c) Read his Bible.
4. What does Robbins want to see happen to help support the sheriff's actions?
(a) An increase in the number of deputies.
(b) A slave patrol organized.
(c) A militia formed.
(d) A military regime brought in.
5. What does Caldonia swear she intends to do with the slaves?
(a) Carry on with Henry's shepherd-master ways.
(b) Free them.
(c) Allow Calvin to take over their care.
(d) Treat them with more discipline than Henry showed.
6. What do these men do to Augustus despite the fact that he is a free man?
(a) Arrest him for being a run away slave.
(b) Arrest him for breaking the Act of 1806.
(c) Sell him to slave traders.
(d) Sell him to William Robbins.
7. Who is Skiffington's future bride?
(a) Clara Martin.
(b) Winifred Patterson.
(c) Fern Elston.
(d) Minerva Skiffington.
8. What habit does Ramsey have that causes trouble for him and for Fern?
9. What is the first job Henry has after winning his freedom from slavery?
(a) Caring for the horses on a local farm.
(b) Making furniture with his father.
(c) Making boots.
(d) Working in cotton fields.
10. Who admonishes Henry to show vigilance and responsibility toward his slaves?
(a) William Robbins.
(b) Augustus Townsend.
(c) Sheriff Skiffington.
(d) Caldonia Townsend.
11. Who is prisoner Jean Broussard accused of killing?
(a) His brother.
(b) His business partner.
(c) His wife.
(d) His neighbor.
12. Who are Henry's favorite authors?
(a) Shakespeare and Austen.
(b) Milton and Dante.
(c) Milton and Gray.
(d) Shakespeare and Gray.
13. For whom does John Skiffington work?
(a) Sheriff Gilly Patterson.
(b) William Robbins.
(c) The people of Manchester County.
(d) Henry Townsend.
14. Why does John Skiffington decide to marry?
(a) To please his father.
(b) To obey the Bible.
(c) To have a companion.
(d) To have children.
15. What does Broussard speak to Robbins about during his visit to the jail?
(a) Selling him two slaves.
(b) Owning slaves in general.
(d) Running a plantation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a fight between Stamford and his cabin mate, Clement?
2. What did Maude's husband, Tilmon, want to do with their slaves after the death of their third child?
3. Who is Philomena?
4. Who digs Henry's grave before the funeral service?
5. Why does Loretta suggest fieldwork be suspended in the aftermath of Henry Townsend's death?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)