Short Essay Questions Key
1. Who dies in Chapter 1?
Henry Townsend dies on his own plantation in Chapter 1 at the age of thirty-one.
2. What is significant about the fact that Henry Townsend owns slaves?
It is significant that Henry Townsend owns slaves because he is himself a freed slave.
3. Who was Henry Townsend's first slave?
Moses was Henry Townsend's first slave and is now his overseer.
4. Who is Augustus Townsend?
Augustus Townsend is a freed black man who was once a slave belonging to William Robbins. Augustus bought his wife's freedom and later his son, Henry's freedom.
5. For whom does Elias carve a doll? What is significant about this doll?
Elias is carving a doll for his daughter. The doll has a slight deformity, but Elias figures this is okay because his wife also has a deformity of one leg.
6. Why does Robbins continually raise his asking price for Henry Townsend's freedom?
Robbins continually raises Henry's price because he loves the boy and because Henry is a good worker. Henry is an excellent groom and learns to be a good bootmaker.
This section contains 3,065 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)