|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Act of 1806 require?
(a) That all freed slaves register with local law enforcement.
(b) That all freed slaves pay extra taxes on their income.
(c) That all freed slaves leave Virginia within twelve months.
(d) That all freed slaves carry freedom papers.
2. What do the slaves on Townsend Plantation fear most when they hear of the death of Henry Townsend?
(a) They will be sold and separated from their loved ones.
(b) They will be forced to continue working for the plantation.
(c) They will be sold to less kind slave owners.
(d) They will be freed and forced to leave Virginia.
3. What does Alice often do as she walks down the road?
(b) Talks to herself.
(c) Calls for her missing family.
(d) Picks weeds.
4. Who is chosen to be sheriff when Patterson resigns two years later?
(a) Counsel Skiffington.
(b) Henry Townsend.
(c) John Skiffington.
(d) William Robbins.
5. Who digs Henry's grave before the funeral service?
(a) Calvin, Louis, and Augustus.
(b) The male slaves.
(c) Calvin, Robbins, and Moses.
(d) Moses, Elias, and Stamford.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Robbins and Henry come to the sheriff's office to see Skiffington while Broussard is a prisoner there?
2. Where do Augustus and Mildred stay when they are visiting their son's plantation?
3. Who does Caldonia believe is a better master to slaves--a white man or a black man?
4. What gift does John Skiffington's cousin, Counsel, give to him at the wedding?
5. Which woman does Elias develop an affection for while a slave on the Townsend Plantation?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)