|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 5.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rita?
(a) A slave who works as personal maid to Robbins' wife.
(b) A slave who was killed by a slave owner attempting to cause fear in other runaway slaves.
(c) A slave who became surrogate mother to Henry Townsend after his parents bought their freedom.
(d) A slave who knows how to read and teaches others to read.
2. How does Robbins react when he finds Philamena in Richmond after she has run away a second time?
(a) He has her arrested.
(b) He beats her to near death.
(c) He threatens to lock her in her room,
(d) He offers her a divorce.
3. What does Henry do with the gift his parents bring him every Sunday during their visits?
(a) Bribes the slave patrol to allow him to wander the countryside.
(b) Bribes the overseer so he does not have to work.
(c) Bribes the groom to give him the position.
(d) Bribes Robbins to keep raising his price.
4. Why does Skiffington believe slavery is just and should be preserved?
(a) Due to the fact that it is legal under Virginia law.
(b) Due to the fact that he enjoys keeping slaves.
(c) Due to the fact that it is sanctioned in the Bible.
(d) Due to the fact that the Southern economy relies on it.
5. Who is Clara Martin?
(a) Skiffington's cousin.
(b) Skiffington's mother-in-law.
(c) Skiffington's mother.
(d) Skiffington's cousin by marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason does one of the jurors on Broussard's trial believe the man was convicted?
2. Which woman does Elias develop an affection for while a slave on the Townsend Plantation?
3. What does Skiffington think should be done with Minerva, his slave, if the family were to move?
4. Who was to perform the funeral service for Henry Townsend?
5. Why do Robbins and Henry come to the sheriff's office to see Skiffington while Broussard is a prisoner there?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)