|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first thing Hassan wants to know upon meeting with Rahim Kahn again?
2. Why does Amir have a hard time believing the truth about his father?
3. What does Amir dream of at the end of Chapter 14?
4. Whose phone call makes Amir agitated?
5. Why is Baba's speech at Amir's engagement party not more impressive?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
2. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
3. Explain why Farid grabs the orphanage director in Chapter 20.
4. What does Rahim Kahn use to persuade Amir to go and find Sohrab in Chapter 17?
5. What skill does Soraya's mother have that she has been forbidden to share in public?
6. What is the major theme of Chapter 18?
7. What changes Hassan's mind about moving back to Kabul with Rahim Kahn?
8. Why does Amir believe Rahim Kahn knows his secret?
9. Why do Farzana and Hassan nurse his mother back to health?
10. In Chapter 17, what does Amir deduce is his relationship with Hassan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Irony was used frequently throughout The Kite Runner. Describe at least four ironies the author describes in the text and what makes them ironic.
• Describe at least four instances of irony from the text
• Describe why they are ironic
Essay Topic 2
Religion was an underlying theme interwoven throughout this book. Describe in detail what effect his religious beliefs had on Amir using at least five examples from the story. Then compare Amir's views and beliefs as related to religion to that of another character in the story, using specific examples from the book.
• Describe the effect of religion on Amir
• Compare Amir's beliefs about religion to another character in the story
• Use examples from the text to support your statements
Essay Topic 3
Based on the information throughout this book, what do you think was the major cause for the Taliban coming into power? Support your answer with information from the text.
• Determine the major cause for the Taliban coming into power
• Support your answer with information from the text
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)