|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the respective majors of Soraya and Amir in college?
2. How long have Soraya and Amir been married in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Amir not see more adult males in the streets of Kabul in Chapter 20?
4. Why does Amir not complain about paying a large sum of money to stay in the dirty hotel room with bloodstains on the wall?
5. Who left town while Amir was in the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the American couple who was to adopt Sohrab?
2. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Amir feel is coming between him and Soraya in their marriage?
4. What changes Hassan's mind about moving back to Kabul with Rahim Kahn?
5. Describe one example of irony in Chapter 22.
6. Why does Sohrab not have to go back to the orphanage in Chapter 24?
7. How does Sohrab react to the idea of being put back in an orphanage temporarily?
8. Amir goes to Kabul to save Sohrab; however, is this what actually happens?
9. Explain why Amir comments in Chapter 19 that he feels like a tourist in the country in which he was a child?
10. With whom does Amir set up a meeting in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kinship is an important aspect of this book. Describe the various components of kinship throughout the book, using examples from the text. Describe your own views of kinship and how it may vary from that the author describes.
• Describe the components of kinship used by the author
• Use examples from the text
• Describe your own views of kinship
• Describe how it varies or is the same as that of the author
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you could interview one of the characters from this book. Which character would you interview and why? Then write ten questions you would ask that character and the answer you would expect them to give.
• Identify the character you would interview
• Describe why you would choose this character
• Write ten interview questions
• Write ten interview answers based on how the character would answer
Essay Topic 3
Amir's mother died shortly after his birth. Describe how his life might have been different had his mother survived.
• Describe how Amir's life might have been different had his mother survived
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)