|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Amir go after leaving Rahim Khan to think about his choices in Chapter 18?
2. In Chapter 14, where does Amir plan to travel to see Rahim Khan?
3. Why is Baba's speech at Amir's engagement party not more impressive?
4. What happened to Hassan and his wife?
5. What happens to the adulterous couple paraded into the arena during half-time at the soccer match?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Farzana and Hassan nurse his mother back to health?
2. Why does Amir believe Rahim Kahn knows his secret?
3. What happened to the orphanage that Baba built?
4. Explain why Farid grabs the orphanage director in Chapter 20.
5. Why was Amir so taken with listening to the stories about his mother that the beggar shared in Chapter 20?
6. Why does Rahim Kahn refuse Amir's offer to take him to America for newer and better treatments for his illness?
7. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
8. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
9. How does Sohrab react to the idea of being put back in an orphanage temporarily?
10. Why do you think Amir continues to refuse to share the truth about his quest with Farid in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the information throughout this book, what do you think was the major cause for the Taliban coming into power? Support your answer with information from the text.
• Determine the major cause for the Taliban coming into power
• Support your answer with information from the text
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing the changes Amir went through throughout the book using specific examples from the text. Compare his changes to your own personal changes in opinion on this region and the reign of the Taliban.
• Describe Amir's changes
• Use examples from the text
• Describe your changes in opinions about Afghanistan and the culture of its people
Essay Topic 3
Every year, many teens attempt suicide. Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide in the story and what might drive a teen in America to do the same thing.
• Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide
• Explain why a modern American teen might attempt suicide
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)