|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rahim Kahn give to Amir in Chapter 17 from Hassan?
2. What happened to most of the trees in Kabul, which used to be plentiful?
3. What does Farid leave under a mattress in Farid's home?
4. Who lived with Rahim Kahn for 10 years?
5. When does Baba die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Soraya's mother have that she has been forbidden to share in public?
2. Why does Sohrab not have to go back to the orphanage in Chapter 24?
3. Why do Farzana and Hassan nurse his mother back to health?
4. What is the major theme of Chapter 18?
5. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
6. What does the note Rahim Khan leaves for Amir in Chapter 23 ask?
7. What happened to the American couple who was to adopt Sohrab?
8. In Chapter 17, what does Amir deduce is his relationship with Hassan?
9. In Chapter 13, what does Amir feel is coming between him and Soraya in their marriage?
10. With whom does Amir set up a meeting in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amir's mother died shortly after his birth. Describe how his life might have been different had his mother survived.
• Describe how Amir's life might have been different had his mother survived
Essay Topic 2
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
Essay Topic 3
Was Amir a good man? Support your position with specific examples from the text.
• Describe whether or not Amir was a good man
• Use supporting details from the text to support your opinion
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)