|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the man at the American Embassy seem depressed and encourage Amir to give up?
2. What happened to Hassan and his wife?
3. Why is the long engagement period forgone for Amir and Soraya?
4. In Chapter 17, who does Rahim Kahn say will care for Sohrab?
5. What are the respective majors of Soraya and Amir in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Amir so taken with listening to the stories about his mother that the beggar shared in Chapter 20?
2. What happened to the American couple who was to adopt Sohrab?
3. What happened to the orphanage that Baba built?
4. Amir goes to Kabul to save Sohrab; however, is this what actually happens?
5. How does Sohrab react to the idea of being put back in an orphanage temporarily?
6. What is the major theme of Chapter 18?
7. What does Rahim Kahn use to persuade Amir to go and find Sohrab in Chapter 17?
8. What skill does Soraya's mother have that she has been forbidden to share in public?
9. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
10. Why do you think Amir continues to refuse to share the truth about his quest with Farid in Chapter 21?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Taliban, as described in this book, violated numerous human rights. Describe how basic human rights were violated using supporting details from the text. Identify, what in your opinion, should be basic human rights.
• Describe basic human rights that were violated by the Taliban
• Use supporting details from the text
• Identify what should be basic human rights
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Amir felt as if he was letting his father down by becoming a writer and being weak because of it. Are there certain professions which make a person weak? Justify your answer.
• Decide if a profession can make a person weak.
• Justify your answer
Essay Topic 3
In this story, Amir often feels guilt and deals with it inappropriately. Describe how Amir both feels guilt and how he deals with it. Describe a time where you felt guilty and how you dealt with it. As you reflect on how you handled it, determine whether it was appropriate or inappropriate. Justify your decision.
• Describe Amir's feelings of guilt
• Describe how Amir deals with his guilt
• Describe a time you felt guilty and how you handled it
• Determine if it was appropriate or inappropriate
• Justify your decision
This section contains 745 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)