|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During his recovery in Chapter 23, what does Amir dream?
2. What happened to Hassan and his wife?
3. Where is Sohrab in Chapter 17?
4. Who appears at Hassan's door, bloody and broken and in need of care?
5. What does Rahim Kahn give to Amir in Chapter 17 from Hassan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What skill does Soraya's mother have that she has been forbidden to share in public?
2. In Chapter 13, what does Amir feel is coming between him and Soraya in their marriage?
3. What changes Hassan's mind about moving back to Kabul with Rahim Kahn?
4. Describe the difference between the motivation for Amir leaving money under Hassan's mattress as a child and leaving it under Farid's family's mattress as an adult.
5. Describe one example of irony in Chapter 22.
6. Why does Rahim Kahn refuse Amir's offer to take him to America for newer and better treatments for his illness?
7. With whom does Amir set up a meeting in Chapter 21?
8. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
9. Explain why Farid grabs the orphanage director in Chapter 20.
10. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a comparison essay comparing Kabul from Amir's childhood to the Kabul he returned to as an adult. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
• Compare Kabul from the past with the present
• Use specific examples from the text
Essay Topic 2
The Taliban, as described in this book, violated numerous human rights. Describe how basic human rights were violated using supporting details from the text. Identify, what in your opinion, should be basic human rights.
• Describe basic human rights that were violated by the Taliban
• Use supporting details from the text
• Identify what should be basic human rights
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters from this book. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the two characters using specific examples from the story.
• Choose two characters
• Compare the two characters
• Contrast the two characters
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)