|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Farid and Amir see on their way to the soccer match in Chapter 21?
2. What is Sohrab amazed to see in Chapter 24?
3. In Chapter 17, who does Rahim Kahn say will care for Sohrab?
4. At first, the people of Afghanistan viewed the Taliban as what?
5. What does Amir dream of at the end of Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rahim Kahn use to persuade Amir to go and find Sohrab in Chapter 17?
2. Why do Farzana and Hassan nurse his mother back to health?
3. What happened to the orphanage that Baba built?
4. Why does Rahim Kahn refuse Amir's offer to take him to America for newer and better treatments for his illness?
5. Describe one example of irony in Chapter 22.
6. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
7. What skill does Soraya's mother have that she has been forbidden to share in public?
8. Amir goes to Kabul to save Sohrab; however, is this what actually happens?
9. With whom does Amir set up a meeting in Chapter 21?
10. What is the major theme of Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every year, many teens attempt suicide. Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide in the story and what might drive a teen in America to do the same thing.
• Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide
• Explain why a modern American teen might attempt suicide
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, social status plays an important factor. Describe the importance of social status by using specific examples from the text. Then relate it to the importance of social status in present day American society using current events examples to support your comparison.
• Describe the importance of social status in the text
• Use examples from the text
• Describe the importance of social status in present day America
• Use current event examples to support your description
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you could interview one of the characters from this book. Which character would you interview and why? Then write ten questions you would ask that character and the answer you would expect them to give.
• Identify the character you would interview
• Describe why you would choose this character
• Write ten interview questions
• Write ten interview answers based on how the character would answer
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)