|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 18, Who does Amir believe committed a sin?
2. Where does Amir decide to go at the end of Chapter 18?
3. Who is Amir's guide on his journey back to Afghanistan in Chapter 19?
4. Why are officials patrolling the stadium during the soccer match?
5. Why does Rahim Khan want Amir to wait a little longer before beginning his journey in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the American couple who was to adopt Sohrab?
2. In Chapter 17, what does Amir deduce is his relationship with Hassan?
3. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
4. Explain why Farid grabs the orphanage director in Chapter 20.
5. Why do you think Amir continues to refuse to share the truth about his quest with Farid in Chapter 21?
6. What is the major theme of Chapter 18?
7. Why does Amir believe Rahim Kahn knows his secret?
8. Why does Rahim Kahn refuse Amir's offer to take him to America for newer and better treatments for his illness?
9. Why does Sohrab not have to go back to the orphanage in Chapter 24?
10. How does Sohrab react to the idea of being put back in an orphanage temporarily?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the book, Amir appeared weak, but by the end of the book he seemed much stronger and even brave. Explain how this change occurred using supporting details from the text. Compare the changes Amir makes to your own life. Have you become stronger? In what way?
• Describe Amir's changes
• Use supporting details from the text
• Describe changes in your own life in a similar manner to Amirs
Essay Topic 2
Write a comparison essay comparing Kabul from Amir's childhood to the Kabul he returned to as an adult. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
• Compare Kabul from the past with the present
• Use specific examples from the text
Essay Topic 3
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)