|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amir give Farid's son his watch?
2. Who does Soraya call to help with the adoption process?
3. During his recovery in Chapter 23, what does Amir dream?
4. When does Baba die?
5. What does the cut on his lip remind Amir of?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Amir deduce is his relationship with Hassan?
2. Why do Farzana and Hassan nurse his mother back to health?
3. What changes Hassan's mind about moving back to Kabul with Rahim Kahn?
4. Explain why Farid grabs the orphanage director in Chapter 20.
5. Why does Sohrab not have to go back to the orphanage in Chapter 24?
6. What does Rahim Kahn use to persuade Amir to go and find Sohrab in Chapter 17?
7. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
8. In Chapter 13, what does Amir feel is coming between him and Soraya in their marriage?
9. What happened to the orphanage that Baba built?
10. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the story, Amir felt as if he was letting his father down by becoming a writer and being weak because of it. Are there certain professions which make a person weak? Justify your answer.
• Decide if a profession can make a person weak.
• Justify your answer
Essay Topic 2
Was Amir a good man? Support your position with specific examples from the text.
• Describe whether or not Amir was a good man
• Use supporting details from the text to support your opinion
Essay Topic 3
Irony was used frequently throughout The Kite Runner. Describe at least four ironies the author describes in the text and what makes them ironic.
• Describe at least four instances of irony from the text
• Describe why they are ironic
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)