|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to most of the trees in Kabul, which used to be plentiful?
2. Whose phone call makes Amir agitated?
3. Who does Soraya call to help with the adoption process?
4. Why does the man at the American Embassy seem depressed and encourage Amir to give up?
5. Who is Amir's guide on his journey back to Afghanistan in Chapter 19?
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the book, Amir appeared weak, but by the end of the book he seemed much stronger and even brave. Explain how this change occurred using supporting details from the text. Compare the changes Amir makes to your own life. Have you become stronger? In what way?
• Describe Amir's changes
• Use supporting details from the text
• Describe changes in your own life in a similar manner to Amirs
Essay Topic 2
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison essay comparing Kabul from Amir's childhood to the Kabul he returned to as an adult. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
• Compare Kabul from the past with the present
• Use specific examples from the text
This section contains 1,367 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)