|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long have Soraya and Amir been married in Chapter 14?
2. Why does Amir not see more adult males in the streets of Kabul in Chapter 20?
3. What happens to the adulterous couple paraded into the arena during half-time at the soccer match?
4. Why has the man with the sunglasses pledged his alliance to the Taliban?
5. What happened to Hassan and his wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rahim Kahn refuse Amir's offer to take him to America for newer and better treatments for his illness?
2. Amir goes to Kabul to save Sohrab; however, is this what actually happens?
3. How does Sohrab react to the idea of being put back in an orphanage temporarily?
4. Describe the difference between the motivation for Amir leaving money under Hassan's mattress as a child and leaving it under Farid's family's mattress as an adult.
5. What does Rahim Kahn use to persuade Amir to go and find Sohrab in Chapter 17?
6. What skill does Soraya's mother have that she has been forbidden to share in public?
7. Explain why Amir comments in Chapter 19 that he feels like a tourist in the country in which he was a child?
8. Why was Amir so taken with listening to the stories about his mother that the beggar shared in Chapter 20?
9. What changes Hassan's mind about moving back to Kabul with Rahim Kahn?
10. What is the major theme of Chapter 18?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religion was an underlying theme interwoven throughout this book. Describe in detail what effect his religious beliefs had on Amir using at least five examples from the story. Then compare Amir's views and beliefs as related to religion to that of another character in the story, using specific examples from the book.
• Describe the effect of religion on Amir
• Compare Amir's beliefs about religion to another character in the story
• Use examples from the text to support your statements
Essay Topic 2
If Amir had the power to travel back in time and change one choice that he made, which event do you believe he would change and why would he choose to change it?
• Describe which event he would change
• Describe why he would choose that event
Essay Topic 3
Was Amir a good man? Support your position with specific examples from the text.
• Describe whether or not Amir was a good man
• Use supporting details from the text to support your opinion
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)