|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Farid leave under a mattress in Farid's home?
2. What does Farid warn Amir not to do after he meets his first Taliban officers?
3. At first, the people of Afghanistan viewed the Taliban as what?
4. Who is Hassan's father?
5. Where do Farid, Amir and Sohrab travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Amir comments in Chapter 19 that he feels like a tourist in the country in which he was a child?
2. Describe the difference between the motivation for Amir leaving money under Hassan's mattress as a child and leaving it under Farid's family's mattress as an adult.
3. Why does Sohrab not have to go back to the orphanage in Chapter 24?
4. What changes Hassan's mind about moving back to Kabul with Rahim Kahn?
5. What does the note Rahim Khan leaves for Amir in Chapter 23 ask?
6. What happened to the American couple who was to adopt Sohrab?
7. Why was Amir so taken with listening to the stories about his mother that the beggar shared in Chapter 20?
8. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
9. Describe one example of irony in Chapter 22.
10. What happened to the orphanage that Baba built?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kinship is an important aspect of this book. Describe the various components of kinship throughout the book, using examples from the text. Describe your own views of kinship and how it may vary from that the author describes.
• Describe the components of kinship used by the author
• Use examples from the text
• Describe your own views of kinship
• Describe how it varies or is the same as that of the author
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the book, Amir appeared weak, but by the end of the book he seemed much stronger and even brave. Explain how this change occurred using supporting details from the text. Compare the changes Amir makes to your own life. Have you become stronger? In what way?
• Describe Amir's changes
• Use supporting details from the text
• Describe changes in your own life in a similar manner to Amirs
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Amir felt as if he was letting his father down by becoming a writer and being weak because of it. Are there certain professions which make a person weak? Justify your answer.
• Decide if a profession can make a person weak.
• Justify your answer
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)