|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Amir feel responsible?
2. How long after Amir and Baba left Afghanistan does Rahim Kahn find Hassan?
3. What does Hassan often do with his son before it was outlawed?
4. Who is the beggar that Amir gives some money in Chapter 20?
5. Who is Amir's guide on his journey back to Afghanistan in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Farid grabs the orphanage director in Chapter 20.
2. Why do Farzana and Hassan nurse his mother back to health?
3. What is the major theme of Chapter 18?
4. In Chapter 13, what does Amir feel is coming between him and Soraya in their marriage?
5. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
6. What does the note Rahim Khan leaves for Amir in Chapter 23 ask?
7. Why does Rahim Kahn refuse Amir's offer to take him to America for newer and better treatments for his illness?
8. What changes Hassan's mind about moving back to Kabul with Rahim Kahn?
9. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
10. Why was Amir so taken with listening to the stories about his mother that the beggar shared in Chapter 20?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Amir a good man? Support your position with specific examples from the text.
• Describe whether or not Amir was a good man
• Use supporting details from the text to support your opinion
Essay Topic 2
Irony was used frequently throughout The Kite Runner. Describe at least four ironies the author describes in the text and what makes them ironic.
• Describe at least four instances of irony from the text
• Describe why they are ironic
Essay Topic 3
In this story, Hassan had a physical deformity: a cleft palate. Explain how the deformity affected Hassan in the story. Then, imagine you had some form of physical deformity. How might your life be different? How might it be the same? To what level would you allow the deformity to affect your life? How might others react to your deformity?
• Explain the effects of Hassan's deformity
• Write about your own imagined physical deformity
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)