|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amir not see more adult males in the streets of Kabul in Chapter 20?
2. Who pays for Amir and Soraya's wedding?
3. Who appears at Hassan's door, bloody and broken and in need of care?
4. Who/what divided Kabul into sections?
5. Who is Amir's guide on his journey back to Afghanistan in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what does Amir feel is coming between him and Soraya in their marriage?
2. Describe the difference between the motivation for Amir leaving money under Hassan's mattress as a child and leaving it under Farid's family's mattress as an adult.
3. Explain why Amir comments in Chapter 19 that he feels like a tourist in the country in which he was a child?
4. What changes Hassan's mind about moving back to Kabul with Rahim Kahn?
5. What is the major theme of Chapter 18?
6. Why do Farzana and Hassan nurse his mother back to health?
7. Why was Amir so taken with listening to the stories about his mother that the beggar shared in Chapter 20?
8. What happened to the American couple who was to adopt Sohrab?
9. Why do you think Amir continues to refuse to share the truth about his quest with Farid in Chapter 21?
10. Describe one example of irony in Chapter 22.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amir's mother died shortly after his birth. Describe how his life might have been different had his mother survived.
• Describe how Amir's life might have been different had his mother survived
Essay Topic 2
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
Essay Topic 3
Write a comparison essay comparing Kabul from Amir's childhood to the Kabul he returned to as an adult. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
• Compare Kabul from the past with the present
• Use specific examples from the text
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)