|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Amir to work up the courage to discuss a book he saw Soraya reading with her?
2. What happens to the story Amir gives to Soraya to read?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Amir has a what?
4. Before Baba passes away, what does Amir ask of him?
5. Hassan's deformity gives the impression that he is doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an example which would support the description of Baba as a gruff man.
2. How do you believe Amir felt having Hassan point out the plot hole in his first short story?
3. Why do you believe Baba refuses medical treatment?
4. When and where did Amir come of age?
5. Describe an ironic situation that occurs in Chapter 8.
6. How does Baba guess that Amir has romantic feelings for Soraya?
7. Of the two characters Hassan and Amir, which acts in the more responsible manner? Describe an incidence from Chapter 9 to support your answer.
8. Why does Kamal's father commit suicide?
9. Who wins the kite tournament?
10. Discuss why you believe Amir enjoys taunting Hassan when they are young.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Kinship is an important aspect of this book. Describe the various components of kinship throughout the book, using examples from the text. Describe your own views of kinship and how it may vary from that the author describes.
• Describe the components of kinship used by the author
• Use examples from the text
• Describe your own views of kinship
• Describe how it varies or is the same as that of the author
Essay Topic 2
Was Amir a good man? Support your position with specific examples from the text.
• Describe whether or not Amir was a good man
• Use supporting details from the text to support your opinion
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Amir felt as if he was letting his father down by becoming a writer and being weak because of it. Are there certain professions which make a person weak? Justify your answer.
• Decide if a profession can make a person weak.
• Justify your answer
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)