|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Baba passes away, what does Amir ask of him?
2. Who is invading Afghanistan in Chapter 10?
3. Which of the following can be used to describe how Amir is happy for the attack because it lead his father to give him a hug?
4. Why did Sanaubar leave?
5. Baba feels proud of Amir for winning the kite tournament; how does this make Amir feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Hassan and Amir react after the shooting in Chapter 5?
2. What are some differences between Amir and Hassan?
3. Describe an example of a difference between Amir and Soraya.
4. Who wins the kite tournament?
5. Compare Hassan and Amir's relationship to that of their fathers.
6. What type of affection does Baba show Amir after the attack in Chapter 5?
7. What is one of the few activities that both Amir and Baba share as children?
8. Describe what leads the past being brought to the front of Amir's mind in Chapter 1.
9. Why do you think Baba does not describe Ali as his friend?
10. Judge Amir's ability to write, using examples from Chapter 2.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
Essay Topic 2
In this story, Hassan had a physical deformity: a cleft palate. Explain how the deformity affected Hassan in the story. Then, imagine you had some form of physical deformity. How might your life be different? How might it be the same? To what level would you allow the deformity to affect your life? How might others react to your deformity?
• Explain the effects of Hassan's deformity
• Write about your own imagined physical deformity
Essay Topic 3
At the beginning of the book, Amir appeared weak, but by the end of the book he seemed much stronger and even brave. Explain how this change occurred using supporting details from the text. Compare the changes Amir makes to your own life. Have you become stronger? In what way?
• Describe Amir's changes
• Use supporting details from the text
• Describe changes in your own life in a similar manner to Amirs
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)