|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Amir believe that the bear wrestling story was true?
2. Before Baba passes away, what does Amir ask of him?
3. In what year does Chapter 10 occur?
4. What present does Assef give to Amir for his 13th birthday?
5. What does Baba do when Ali and Hassan prepare to leave in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Amir so taken with listening to the stories about his mother that the beggar shared in Chapter 20?
2. What are some differences between Amir and Hassan?
3. In Chapter 13, what does Amir feel is coming between him and Soraya in their marriage?
4. Describe an example of a difference between Amir and Soraya.
5. Explain why Amir may have difficulties accepting people who are not able to show success.
6. How do you think Amir feels when Hassan defends him from Assef with the slingshot?
7. Why does Kamal's father commit suicide?
8. What does Hassan's face remind Amir of as the boys in the alley hold him down?
9. How does Amir come to realize that Hassan will always be a servant and live in a mud hut?
10. What is one of the few activities that both Amir and Baba share as children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Taliban, as described in this book, violated numerous human rights. Describe how basic human rights were violated using supporting details from the text. Identify, what in your opinion, should be basic human rights.
• Describe basic human rights that were violated by the Taliban
• Use supporting details from the text
• Identify what should be basic human rights
Essay Topic 2
Based on the information throughout this book, what do you think was the major cause for the Taliban coming into power? Support your answer with information from the text.
• Determine the major cause for the Taliban coming into power
• Support your answer with information from the text
Essay Topic 3
In this story, Amir often feels guilt and deals with it inappropriately. Describe how Amir both feels guilt and how he deals with it. Describe a time where you felt guilty and how you dealt with it. As you reflect on how you handled it, determine whether it was appropriate or inappropriate. Justify your decision.
• Describe Amir's feelings of guilt
• Describe how Amir deals with his guilt
• Describe a time you felt guilty and how you handled it
• Determine if it was appropriate or inappropriate
• Justify your decision
This section contains 1,776 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)