|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Amir and Baba finally settle down in Chapter 11?
2. A call from _________ leads Amir to consider visiting his homeland of Afghanistan.
3. What protects Amir from Assef's taunts?
4. Where did Amir live when he came of age?
5. Who points out a plot hole in Amir's first short story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you believe Baba refuses medical treatment?
2. Why do you think Baba does not describe Ali as his friend?
3. Explain why you think Hassan never tattles on Amir when caught doing inappropriate things.
4. Why does Kamal's father commit suicide?
5. What is one of the few activities that both Amir and Baba share as children?
6. What are some differences between Amir and Hassan?
7. Compare Hassan and Amir's relationship to that of their fathers.
8. What happens to lessen some of the joy Amir feels upon his high school graduation?
9. How does Amir come to realize that Hassan will always be a servant and live in a mud hut?
10. Of the two characters Hassan and Amir, which acts in the more responsible manner? Describe an incidence from Chapter 9 to support your answer.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Every year, many teens attempt suicide. Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide in the story and what might drive a teen in America to do the same thing.
• Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide
• Explain why a modern American teen might attempt suicide
Essay Topic 2
At the beginning of the book, Amir appeared weak, but by the end of the book he seemed much stronger and even brave. Explain how this change occurred using supporting details from the text. Compare the changes Amir makes to your own life. Have you become stronger? In what way?
• Describe Amir's changes
• Use supporting details from the text
• Describe changes in your own life in a similar manner to Amirs
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you could interview one of the characters from this book. Which character would you interview and why? Then write ten questions you would ask that character and the answer you would expect them to give.
• Identify the character you would interview
• Describe why you would choose this character
• Write ten interview questions
• Write ten interview answers based on how the character would answer
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)