|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Due to which of the following can Amir's inability to tolerate mediocrity be contributed?
2. In what year did Amir come of age?
3. Baba feels proud of Amir for winning the kite tournament; how does this make Amir feel?
4. Which of the following is not a memory Amir has of Hassan by Chapter 4?
5. What happens when the items that Amir hid are found under Hassan's mattress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Hassan and Amir's relationship to that of their fathers.
2. How does Baba guess that Amir has romantic feelings for Soraya?
3. Describe an example of a difference between Amir and Soraya.
4. When and where did Amir come of age?
5. How do you believe Amir felt having Hassan point out the plot hole in his first short story?
6. Judge Amir's ability to write, using examples from Chapter 2.
7. Why do you think Baba does not describe Ali as his friend?
8. Explain why Amir may have difficulties accepting people who are not able to show success.
9. What does Hassan's face remind Amir of as the boys in the alley hold him down?
10. What in Chapter 8 causes Amir and Baba's relationship to fade?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was Amir a good man? Support your position with specific examples from the text.
• Describe whether or not Amir was a good man
• Use supporting details from the text to support your opinion
Essay Topic 2
Based on the information throughout this book, what do you think was the major cause for the Taliban coming into power? Support your answer with information from the text.
• Determine the major cause for the Taliban coming into power
• Support your answer with information from the text
Essay Topic 3
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)