|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Amir not wish from his father in Chapter 3?
2. Who is the protagonist of this novel?
3. How long does it take Amir to work up the courage to discuss a book he saw Soraya reading with her?
4. In Chapter 2, Baba tells his friend Rahim Kahn of his fear that Amir will grow up to be what?
5. Amir does not use which of the following phrases to describe Hassan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who wins the kite tournament?
2. Explain what the sight of kites flying in the park in Chapter 1 does to Amir.
3. Explain how theft is the only true sin to Baba.
4. Describe an example of a difference between Amir and Soraya.
5. Explain why you think Hassan never tattles on Amir when caught doing inappropriate things.
6. Why do you believe Baba refuses medical treatment?
7. What in Chapter 8 causes Amir and Baba's relationship to fade?
8. Why does Kamal's father commit suicide?
9. What are some differences between Amir and Hassan?
10. What is one of the few activities that both Amir and Baba share as children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a comparison essay comparing Kabul from Amir's childhood to the Kabul he returned to as an adult. Be sure to include specific examples from the text.
• Compare Kabul from the past with the present
• Use specific examples from the text
Essay Topic 2
Every year, many teens attempt suicide. Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide in the story and what might drive a teen in America to do the same thing.
• Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide
• Explain why a modern American teen might attempt suicide
Essay Topic 3
Kinship is an important aspect of this book. Describe the various components of kinship throughout the book, using examples from the text. Describe your own views of kinship and how it may vary from that the author describes.
• Describe the components of kinship used by the author
• Use examples from the text
• Describe your own views of kinship
• Describe how it varies or is the same as that of the author
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)