|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Amir and Hassan go to the tree after school resumes following the kite tournament?
2. What hope does Soraya express in Chapter 12 for her future?
3. Who offers support for future writing to Amir?
4. Who narrates this story?
5. Amir does not use which of the following phrases to describe Hassan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kamal's father commit suicide?
2. Judge Amir's ability to write, using examples from Chapter 2.
3. How do Hassan and Amir react after the shooting in Chapter 5?
4. How does Amir come to realize that Hassan will always be a servant and live in a mud hut?
5. Describe an ironic situation that occurs in Chapter 8.
6. Support Amir's decision to hide his love of books and poetry.
7. What happens to lessen some of the joy Amir feels upon his high school graduation?
8. How do you believe Amir felt having Hassan point out the plot hole in his first short story?
9. Why do you think Baba does not describe Ali as his friend?
10. When and where did Amir come of age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
Essay Topic 2
Amir's mother died shortly after his birth. Describe how his life might have been different had his mother survived.
• Describe how Amir's life might have been different had his mother survived
Essay Topic 3
Irony was used frequently throughout The Kite Runner. Describe at least four ironies the author describes in the text and what makes them ironic.
• Describe at least four instances of irony from the text
• Describe why they are ironic
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)