|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are fleeing Kabul in Chapter 10?
2. What does Baba do for Amir's 13th birthday?
3. In which year does this novel begin?
4. In what year did Amir come of age?
5. How did Baba's father die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the few activities that both Amir and Baba share as children?
2. What promise did Amir make to Sohrab when he was in the hospital in Pakistan?
3. How do you think Amir feels when Hassan defends him from Assef with the slingshot?
4. Why does Rahim Kahn refuse Amir's offer to take him to America for newer and better treatments for his illness?
5. In Chapter 18, as Amir thinks about his childhood and Baba's attitude toward him, how does Amir feel?
6. Why is it odd that Hassan smiles more when he has the cleft palate than after it is fixed?
7. Explain why Amir comments in Chapter 19 that he feels like a tourist in the country in which he was a child?
8. Why do you think Baba does not describe Ali as his friend?
9. What do kites symbolize to Amir, as seen in Chapter 14?
10. Explain why you think Hassan never tattles on Amir when caught doing inappropriate things.
Essay Topic 1
In this story, Amir often feels guilt and deals with it inappropriately. Describe how Amir both feels guilt and how he deals with it. Describe a time where you felt guilty and how you dealt with it. As you reflect on how you handled it, determine whether it was appropriate or inappropriate. Justify your decision.
• Describe Amir's feelings of guilt
• Describe how Amir deals with his guilt
• Describe a time you felt guilty and how you handled it
• Determine if it was appropriate or inappropriate
• Justify your decision
Essay Topic 2
Imagine you could interview one of the characters from this book. Which character would you interview and why? Then write ten questions you would ask that character and the answer you would expect them to give.
• Identify the character you would interview
• Describe why you would choose this character
• Write ten interview questions
• Write ten interview answers based on how the character would answer
Essay Topic 3
If Amir had the power to travel back in time and change one choice that he made, which event do you believe he would change and why would he choose to change it?
• Describe which event he would change
• Describe why he would choose that event
This section contains 1,719 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)