|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following does Ali use to reassure the boys after the shooting in Chapter 5?
2. Which of the following can be used to describe how Amir is happy for the attack because it lead his father to give him a hug?
3. A call from _________ leads Amir to consider visiting his homeland of Afghanistan.
4. What two gifts does Baba give Amir for his 13th birthday?
5. Who protects Amir with his slingshot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Amir may have difficulties accepting people who are not able to show success.
2. Explain what the sight of kites flying in the park in Chapter 1 does to Amir.
3. What happens to lessen some of the joy Amir feels upon his high school graduation?
4. What in Chapter 8 causes Amir and Baba's relationship to fade?
5. Describe an ironic situation that occurs in Chapter 8.
6. How does Baba guess that Amir has romantic feelings for Soraya?
7. Discuss why you believe Amir enjoys taunting Hassan when they are young.
8. Describe an example which would support the description of Baba as a gruff man.
9. Why does Amir hide some of the presents from his birthday under Hassan's mattress?
10. How do you believe Amir felt having Hassan point out the plot hole in his first short story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the beginning of the book, Amir appeared weak, but by the end of the book he seemed much stronger and even brave. Explain how this change occurred using supporting details from the text. Compare the changes Amir makes to your own life. Have you become stronger? In what way?
• Describe Amir's changes
• Use supporting details from the text
• Describe changes in your own life in a similar manner to Amirs
Essay Topic 2
Every year, many teens attempt suicide. Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide in the story and what might drive a teen in America to do the same thing.
• Explain what drove Sohrab to attempt suicide
• Explain why a modern American teen might attempt suicide
Essay Topic 3
Irony was used frequently throughout The Kite Runner. Describe at least four ironies the author describes in the text and what makes them ironic.
• Describe at least four instances of irony from the text
• Describe why they are ironic
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)