|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the benefit of winter to the children of Afghanistan?
2. Who are fleeing Kabul in Chapter 10?
3. Which of the following does Ali use to reassure the boys after the shooting in Chapter 5?
4. What protects Amir from Assef's taunts?
5. What is Amir determined to win in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is one of the few activities that both Amir and Baba share as children?
2. Why do you think Baba does not describe Ali as his friend?
3. Why does Amir hide some of the presents from his birthday under Hassan's mattress?
4. Explain why you think Hassan never tattles on Amir when caught doing inappropriate things.
5. Describe an example which would support the description of Baba as a gruff man.
6. What type of affection does Baba show Amir after the attack in Chapter 5?
7. How do Hassan and Amir react after the shooting in Chapter 5?
8. Why is it odd that Hassan smiles more when he has the cleft palate than after it is fixed?
9. What in Chapter 8 causes Amir and Baba's relationship to fade?
10. Describe what leads the past being brought to the front of Amir's mind in Chapter 1.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the universal ethical code pertaining to personal gain at the expense of others is utilized throughout this book. Use specific examples from the text to support your description.
• Describe how one rarely gets satisfaction at the expense of others
• Use specific examples from the text
Essay Topic 2
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
Essay Topic 3
Imagine you could interview one of the characters from this book. Which character would you interview and why? Then write ten questions you would ask that character and the answer you would expect them to give.
• Identify the character you would interview
• Describe why you would choose this character
• Write ten interview questions
• Write ten interview answers based on how the character would answer
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)