|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Amir learn some of the true history of the Hazara people?
2. Who rules the country in Chapter 2?
3. How do Baba and Amir earn extra money on the weekends while living in America?
4. What two gifts does Baba give Amir for his 13th birthday?
5. After the kite tournament, what does Hassan say is wrong with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Amir come to realize that Hassan will always be a servant and live in a mud hut?
2. Describe an ironic situation that occurs in Chapter 8.
3. How do Hassan and Amir react after the shooting in Chapter 5?
4. When and where did Amir come of age?
5. How does the novel, The Kite Runner, open?
6. What happens to lessen some of the joy Amir feels upon his high school graduation?
7. Why do you believe Baba refuses medical treatment?
8. What in Chapter 8 causes Amir and Baba's relationship to fade?
9. Explain what the sight of kites flying in the park in Chapter 1 does to Amir.
10. Describe an example of a difference between Amir and Soraya.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the information throughout this book, what do you think was the major cause for the Taliban coming into power? Support your answer with information from the text.
• Determine the major cause for the Taliban coming into power
• Support your answer with information from the text
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters from this book. Write an essay comparing and contrasting the two characters using specific examples from the story.
• Choose two characters
• Compare the two characters
• Contrast the two characters
Essay Topic 3
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)