|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the kite tournament, what does Hassan say is wrong with him?
2. What happens to the story Amir gives to Soraya to read?
3. What is the benefit of winter to the children of Afghanistan?
4. Hassan's deformity gives the impression that he is doing what?
5. What is Amir determined to win in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what the sight of kites flying in the park in Chapter 1 does to Amir.
2. Describe what leads the past being brought to the front of Amir's mind in Chapter 1.
3. Why does Amir hide some of the presents from his birthday under Hassan's mattress?
4. Recall and describe an incidence where Amir demonstrates true caring for Hassan.
5. What in Chapter 8 causes Amir and Baba's relationship to fade?
6. What are some differences between Amir and Hassan?
7. How do you believe Amir felt having Hassan point out the plot hole in his first short story?
8. Explain how theft is the only true sin to Baba.
9. Judge Amir's ability to write, using examples from Chapter 2.
10. Who wins the kite tournament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author used the writing technique of flashbacks throughout this book. Was this an effective writing technique? Why or why not?
• Describe whether or not the use of flashbacks was an effective writing technique
• Detail why or why not
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the universal ethical code pertaining to personal gain at the expense of others is utilized throughout this book. Use specific examples from the text to support your description.
• Describe how one rarely gets satisfaction at the expense of others
• Use specific examples from the text
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the book, social status plays an important factor. Describe the importance of social status by using specific examples from the text. Then relate it to the importance of social status in present day American society using current events examples to support your comparison.
• Describe the importance of social status in the text
• Use examples from the text
• Describe the importance of social status in present day America
• Use current event examples to support your description
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)