|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 2, Amir has a what?
2. What illness does Baba have in Chapter 12?
3. Which of the following is the reason Amir and Hassan leave to go read under their tree?
4. How did Baba's father die?
5. After the kite tournament, what does Hassan say is wrong with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the novel, The Kite Runner, open?
2. Why does Kamal's father commit suicide?
3. Explain why you think Hassan never tattles on Amir when caught doing inappropriate things.
4. Describe an ironic situation that occurs in Chapter 8.
5. Explain how theft is the only true sin to Baba.
6. Support Amir's decision to hide his love of books and poetry.
7. How does Baba guess that Amir has romantic feelings for Soraya?
8. What is one of the few activities that both Amir and Baba share as children?
9. How do Hassan and Amir react after the shooting in Chapter 5?
10. When and where did Amir come of age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this story, Hassan had a physical deformity: a cleft palate. Explain how the deformity affected Hassan in the story. Then, imagine you had some form of physical deformity. How might your life be different? How might it be the same? To what level would you allow the deformity to affect your life? How might others react to your deformity?
• Explain the effects of Hassan's deformity
• Write about your own imagined physical deformity
Essay Topic 2
If Amir had the power to travel back in time and change one choice that he made, which event do you believe he would change and why would he choose to change it?
• Describe which event he would change
• Describe why he would choose that event
Essay Topic 3
The Taliban, as described in this book, violated numerous human rights. Describe how basic human rights were violated using supporting details from the text. Identify, what in your opinion, should be basic human rights.
• Describe basic human rights that were violated by the Taliban
• Use supporting details from the text
• Identify what should be basic human rights
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)