|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The slaves believe that Macandal caused a woman to give birth to a baby with what in Part One: Chapter VI?
2. What is the title of Part One: Chapter II?
3. Where does Ti Noël observe bright posters in Part One: Chapter I?
4. With what African gods do the slaves make a pact in Part Two: Chapter II?
5. What happens to the informant after he reveals information about the poisonings in Part One: Chapter V?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions do the revolting slaves take at the plantation in Part Two: Chapter III?
2. What celebrations are described in Part One: Chapter VII?
3. How is the perception of Christianity depicted through the eyes of the slaves in Part One: Chapter VII?
4. When does the revolt begin in Part Two: Chapter III? How does M. Lenormand de Mézy witness this event?
5. Whom does Ti Noël go to visit with Macandal in Part One: Chapter III? What is discussed?
6. What can Macandal’s missing arm be seen to symbolize in Part One: Chapter III?
7. What does Governor Blancheland want to do in response to the revolt in Part Two: Chapter IV?
8. What is the backlash of Macandal’s campaign of poisoning in Part One: Chapter V?
9. What is the symbolic significance of Macandal’s losing his arm in Part One: Chapter II?
10. What is the relationship between Macandal and nature in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the setting of the novel as depicted in Part One. In what era does the novel begin? What was the political climate like in Haiti at this time? How did the Haitians view French rule? What was the viewpoint of France regarding slavery in the Caribbean?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact of the initial uprisings in the Haitian Revolution. How many acres of plantations were destroyed? How many revolutionaries fought against the colonials? How great were the colonial forces? Does the author realistically depict the events which took place?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the time period and setting of Part Two: Chapter I. How have relationships on the plantation changed since Macandal’s death? What hope do the slaves hold for his return? How has the political climate in Haiti changed?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)