|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. M. Lenormand de Mézy hides out in his house until he hears word that what has taken place in Part Two: Chapter IV?
2. What is the first group affected (and killed) by the poisoning on the plantations in Part One: Chapter V?
3. Who brings Ti Noël a message from Macandal in Part One: Chapter IV?
4. What do the plantation owners begin to do when they hear the slaves singing the sorrow of their plight at the celebration in Part One: Chapter VII?
5. What is the title of Part One: Chapter II?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the secret meeting in Part Two: Chapter II. What news is revealed and by whom?
2. How does the poison epidemic spread in the beginning of Part One: Chapter V?
3. What is the symbolic significance of Macandal’s losing his arm in Part One: Chapter II?
4. What religious ceremony takes place in Part Two: Chapter II? How is it described?
5. Who brings Ti Noël a message from Macandal in Part One: Chapter IV? Where does Ti Noël go to find Macandal?
6. Where and when is the burning of Macandal set to take place in Part One: Chapter VIII? How is the scene described?
7. How is Macandal’s appearance described in Part One: Chapter VII? How do the slaves react?
8. What actions do the revolting slaves take at the plantation in Part Two: Chapter III?
9. What job is Macandal given in Part One: Chapter III? What observations does he make while working in the chapter?
10. What does Governor Blancheland want to do in response to the revolt in Part Two: Chapter IV?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the themes of retribution and terrorism in the narrative. How does “terrorism” apply to the tactics of the revolting slaves? How does it apply to the slave owners? What symbolism does the author use to establish these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the setting of the novel as depicted in Part One. In what era does the novel begin? What was the political climate like in Haiti at this time? How did the Haitians view French rule? What was the viewpoint of France regarding slavery in the Caribbean?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concepts of “reaction” versus “revolution” as presented in the novel. Describe the actions, objectives, and obstacles faced by the slaves as they attempt to gain freedom. How are these actions reactionary? How are they revolutionary? What resistance is met by the colonials?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)