|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ti Noël is a slave on a plantation where in Part One: Chapter I?
2. Ti Noël learns that the man portrayed in the bright posters in Part One: Chapter I is what?
3. Who sets out to rape Mlle. Floridor in Part Two: Chapter III?
4. How many years have passed since Macandal’s capture in Part Two: Chapter I?
5. Slaves that come from the region where Macandal originated are reputed to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ti Noël’s comparison of the wax heads in Part One: Chapter I indicate about his character?
2. How is Macandal’s appearance described in Part One: Chapter VII? How do the slaves react?
3. What does Ti Noël compare the wax heads with in Part One: Chapter I?
4. What job is Macandal given in Part One: Chapter III? What observations does he make while working in the chapter?
5. Where does Ti Noël observe bright posters in the city in Part One: Chapter I? What do these posters represent?
6. What religious ceremony takes place in Part Two: Chapter II? How is it described?
7. How is Ti Noël described in Part One: Chapter I? Where is he doing with his master in this chapter?
8. Where and when is the burning of Macandal set to take place in Part One: Chapter VIII? How is the scene described?
9. For how long does M. Lenormand de Mézy remain in hiding in Part Two: Chapter IV? What does he find when he emerges?
10. How do M. Lenormand de Mézy and Governor Blancheland feel about the political climate in Part Two: Chapter III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concepts of “reaction” versus “revolution” as presented in the novel. Describe the actions, objectives, and obstacles faced by the slaves as they attempt to gain freedom. How are these actions reactionary? How are they revolutionary? What resistance is met by the colonials?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of enslavement in the novel. How does the enslavement under King Henri Christophe compare to the enslavement by the whites, in the protagonist’s view? How was enslavement enforced under King Henri Christophe? How did this period of enslavement end?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the time period and setting of Part Two: Chapter I. How have relationships on the plantation changed since Macandal’s death? What hope do the slaves hold for his return? How has the political climate in Haiti changed?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)