|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does M. Lenormand de Mézy hide when he hears the rebellion horns sounding in Part Two: Chapter III?
2. M. Lenormand de Mézy discovers that his wife has been murdered with what in Part Two: Chapter IV?
3. What elicits an accusation regarding the poisonings from one of the slaves in Part One: Chapter V?
4. Whose rotting head is displayed in the Cap in Part Two: Chapter IV?
5. The slaves’ rebellion is planned to take place how many days in the future in the end of Part Two: Chapter II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the slaves believe happens during Macandal’s burning in Part One: Chapter VIII? What actually happens?
2. What happens with the search for Macandal in the beginning of Part One: Chapter VI?
3. What actions do the revolting slaves take at the plantation in Part Two: Chapter III?
4. What does Ti Noël compare the wax heads with in Part One: Chapter I?
5. How is the perception of Christianity depicted through the eyes of the slaves in Part One: Chapter VII?
6. How does the poison epidemic spread in the beginning of Part One: Chapter V?
7. How is M. Lenormand de Mézy’s behavior described in Part Two: Chapter I?
8. Describe the secret meeting in Part Two: Chapter II. What news is revealed and by whom?
9. What is the backlash of Macandal’s campaign of poisoning in Part One: Chapter V?
10. What has Macandal done during his exile in Part One: Chapter IV? How does his plan for revolt begin in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the character of M. Lenormand de Mézy and the other slave owners in the novel. How does M. Lenormand de Mézy’s character evolve from Part One: Chapter I to the end of the novel? Do you think this character shows any remorse for his actions? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Macandal in the novel. Where is Macandal from? How does Macandal’s character evolve in Part One? What is Macandal’s relationship to nature?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the time period and setting of Part Two: Chapter I. How have relationships on the plantation changed since Macandal’s death? What hope do the slaves hold for his return? How has the political climate in Haiti changed?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)