|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what African gods do the slaves make a pact in Part Two: Chapter II?
2. What ethnic group is Macandal described as belonging to in the novel?
3. M. Lenormand de Mézy’s second wife is devout in what faith?
4. While in hiding, Macandal has made contact with whom in Part One: Chapter IV?
5. Ti Noël’s plantation master in Part One: Chapter I is a colonist from what European country?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between Macandal and nature in the novel?
2. How has the Cap changed Part Two: Chapter I? How much time has passed since Part One’s conclusion?
3. Where does Ti Noël observe bright posters in the city in Part One: Chapter I? What do these posters represent?
4. What actions do the revolting slaves take at the plantation in Part Two: Chapter III?
5. How is the perception of Christianity depicted through the eyes of the slaves in Part One: Chapter VII?
6. What does Ti Noël’s comparison of the wax heads in Part One: Chapter I indicate about his character?
7. How is Ti Noël described in Part One: Chapter I? Where is he doing with his master in this chapter?
8. Describe the secret meeting in Part Two: Chapter II. What news is revealed and by whom?
9. What religious ceremony takes place in Part Two: Chapter II? How is it described?
10. How is M. Lenormand de Mézy’s behavior described in Part Two: Chapter I?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the character of Ti Noël and his role as protagonist in the novel. What characteristics stand out in Ti Noël as “heroic”? How does Ti Noël view the world around him in Part One? What are his views on the colonial slave owners?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the themes of retribution and terrorism in the narrative. How does “terrorism” apply to the tactics of the revolting slaves? How does it apply to the slave owners? What symbolism does the author use to establish these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolic elements presented in Part One, including the following: the wax heads, the bright posters, and Macandal’s missing arm. What do each of these symbols represent? How do they relate to the central themes of the novel? How does Macandal’s missing arm give him power?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)