|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Ti Noël’s plantation master in Part One: Chapter I is a colonist from what European country?
2. Where do the slaves and masters gather in the opening of Part One: Chapter VIII?
3. Who sets out to rape Mlle. Floridor in Part Two: Chapter III?
4. What does M. Lenormand de Mézy’s second wife have built in Part One: Chapter VII?
5. What do the revolting slaves do to the master’s house in Part Two: Chapter III?
Short Essay Questions
1. What actions do the revolting slaves take at the plantation in Part Two: Chapter III?
2. What does Ti Noël compare the wax heads with in Part One: Chapter I?
3. What happens with the search for Macandal in the beginning of Part One: Chapter VI?
4. For how long does M. Lenormand de Mézy remain in hiding in Part Two: Chapter IV? What does he find when he emerges?
5. What is the relationship between Macandal and nature in the novel?
6. Where does Ti Noël observe bright posters in the city in Part One: Chapter I? What do these posters represent?
7. What is the symbolic significance of Macandal’s losing his arm in Part One: Chapter II?
8. What celebrations are described in Part One: Chapter VII?
9. What has Macandal done during his exile in Part One: Chapter IV? How does his plan for revolt begin in the chapter?
10. How do M. Lenormand de Mézy and Governor Blancheland feel about the political climate in Part Two: Chapter III?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of enslavement in the novel. How does the enslavement under King Henri Christophe compare to the enslavement by the whites, in the protagonist’s view? How was enslavement enforced under King Henri Christophe? How did this period of enslavement end?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the character of Ti Noël and his role as protagonist in the novel. What characteristics stand out in Ti Noël as “heroic”? How does Ti Noël view the world around him in Part One? What are his views on the colonial slave owners?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss M. Lenormand de Mézy’s relationship to religion in Part Two. Why do you think the plantation owner gives religion more weight in this section of the book? What is hypocritical about M. Lenormand de Mézy’s beliefs? How does Ti Noël feel about his visits to the church with his master?
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)