|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bouckman reveals that who has declared the slaves should be freed in Part Two: Chapter II?
(a) The French authorities in Europe
(b) The American President
(c) The Pope
(d) God Himself
2. How many of the best cows on the plantation drop dead the day after Ti Noël meets with Macandal in Part One: Chapter IV?
3. Where does Ti Noël go to find Macandal in Part One: Chapter IV?
(a) Inside a well
(b) The barber shop
(c) A cave
(d) A bookstore
4. Plaine du Nord is located in what region of the island where Ti Noël lives in Part One?
(a) The north
(b) The southeast
(c) The northeast
(d) The south
5. With what African gods do the slaves make a pact in Part Two: Chapter II?
(a) The Bacax
(b) The Osebo
(c) The Nyame
(d) The Loas
Short Answer Questions
1. M. Lenormand de Mézy discovers that his wife has been murdered with what in Part Two: Chapter IV?
2. What is Part Two: Chapter IV’s title?
3. What is the first group affected (and killed) by the poisoning on the plantations in Part One: Chapter V?
4. How many years have passed since Macandal’s capture in Part Two: Chapter I?
5. Where does M. Lenormand de Mézy move with his third wife in Part Two: Chapter I?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the revolt begin in Part Two: Chapter III? How does M. Lenormand de Mézy witness this event?
2. What is the relationship between Macandal and nature in the novel?
3. How does the poison epidemic spread in the beginning of Part One: Chapter V?
4. What is the backlash of Macandal’s campaign of poisoning in Part One: Chapter V?
5. What religious ceremony takes place in Part Two: Chapter II? How is it described?
6. Where does Ti Noël observe bright posters in the city in Part One: Chapter I? What do these posters represent?
7. What is the symbolic significance of Macandal’s losing his arm in Part One: Chapter II?
8. What job is Macandal given in Part One: Chapter III? What observations does he make while working in the chapter?
9. For how long does M. Lenormand de Mézy remain in hiding in Part Two: Chapter IV? What does he find when he emerges?
10. Whom has M. Lenormand de Mézy married in Part Two: Chapter I? Where does he live?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)