|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does M. Lenormand de Mézy discover has happened to his dogs when he comes out of hiding to examine his plantation in Part Two: Chapter IV?
(a) They have been hung
(b) They have been burned to death
(c) They have been shot
(d) They have been set free
2. What is Macandal doing when his arm becomes caught in a machine in Part One: Chapter II?
(a) Sawing lumber
(b) Making sausage
(c) Juicing fruit
(d) Milling sugar
3. Where do Ti Noël and his master go in the town in Part One: Chapter I?
(a) The bookstore
(b) The barber shop
(c) The theater
(d) The cave
4. What is the title of Part One: Chapter VI?
(a) The Amputation
(b) The Metamorphoses
(c) Agnus Dei
(d) Strait is the Gate
5. What is the name of the laundress that the plantation owner takes to bed in Part One: Chapter VII?
(c) Corneille Breille
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaves believe has happened to Macandal at the end of Part One: Chapter VIII?
2. Where do the slaves and masters gather in the opening of Part One: Chapter VIII?
3. M. Lenormand de Mézy’s second wife is devout in what faith?
4. Where does Ti Noël go to find Macandal in Part One: Chapter IV?
5. Ti Noël is a slave on a plantation where in Part One: Chapter I?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the poison epidemic spread in the beginning of Part One: Chapter V?
2. Whom does Ti Noël go to visit with Macandal in Part One: Chapter III? What is discussed?
3. How is Macandal’s appearance described in Part One: Chapter VII? How do the slaves react?
4. What does Ti Noël’s comparison of the wax heads in Part One: Chapter I indicate about his character?
5. Where and when is the burning of Macandal set to take place in Part One: Chapter VIII? How is the scene described?
6. What job is Macandal given in Part One: Chapter III? What observations does he make while working in the chapter?
7. What religious ceremony takes place in Part Two: Chapter II? How is it described?
8. What is the relationship between Macandal and nature in the novel?
9. What happens with the search for Macandal in the beginning of Part One: Chapter VI?
10. What does Ti Noël compare the wax heads with in Part One: Chapter I?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)