|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Christian Science faith was founded by ______________________.
2. As a result of the new vocabulary, __________________________________________.
3. Mary Baker Eddy believed she wrote under the guidance of _________________________.
4. Which of the following is not recognized by Dr. Rokeach as a level in a belief system?
5. Do Christian Science teachings closely follow the Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What distinguishes Unitarians from orthodox Christianity?
2. Who assumed control of the Christian Science Church after Mrs. Eddy's death?
3. What do the Mormons accept as the Scripture?
4. How do Zen Buddhists differ from Buddhists regarding the achievement of Nirvana?
5. What is the danger of cults?
6. What does Scientology promise its followers?
7. What, according to Fey and Gill, happens if an article presents cults favorably?
8. What happened to the founder of the Baha'i World Faith?
9. What is the background of the Book of Mormon?
10. Is there a difference between Jehovah's Witnesses doctrine and Russellism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the belief of each of the cults presented in the book regarding the Holy Spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the cult of Spiritism and contact with the spirits. How would you feel about taking part in a seance? Who would you want to contact and why?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the cults were founded by people of questionable moral character.
a. Give some examples of some of these founders and what their questionable actions were.
b. Why do you think that people were willing to follow them and give their time and money?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)