|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Unitarian Universalist Church resulted from a merger of the Unitarians and Universalists in what year?
2. The practice of indoctrination falls under which characteristic of a cult?
3. Regarding Atonement, Jehovah's Witnesses believe ________________________________.
4. Who is considered a great prophet of Spiritism?
5. The Unitarian Universalist teaching borrows from all but _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are psychological factors important in the study of cults?
2. What is the danger of cults?
3. How has the new vocabulary affected cults?
4. What happened to the founder of the Baha'i World Faith?
5. What is the appeal of Spiritism?
6. What are the three levels of a belief system?
7. What are the two major groups that are known as the Mormons?
8. Describe the derivation of Japanese Zen Buddhism.
9. How do Zen Buddhists differ from Buddhists regarding the achievement of Nirvana?
10. What was common to the writings of Mary Baker Eddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would be the purpose and the value of a conference on cults? What could be gained by such a conference?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the purpose of the book regarding cults, discussing the approach the author has chosen to take. What use is a book detailing historical cults?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the views of Jehovah's Witnesses and Russell on the return of Christ.
a) When did it occur?
b) How did it occur?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)