|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Unitarianism, compared to orthodox Christian practices, is _________________________.
2. In the 1920s, who identified cults as a force in American Protestantism?
3. Zen Buddhism is _______________________________.
4. Zen Buddhists believe _______________________________.
5. The Baha'i World Faith was founded in which country?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who assumed control of the Christian Science Church after Mrs. Eddy's death?
2. Why are psychological factors important in the study of cults?
3. How do Zen Buddhists differ from Buddhists regarding the achievement of Nirvana?
4. What does Scientology promise its followers?
5. Do Jehovah's Witnesses believe that the return of Christ has occurred?
6. Explain how the cult takes concepts from the Bible out of context?
7. Exactly what is a cult?
8. What is the appeal of the Unitarian Universalist Church?
9. What was common to the writings of Mary Baker Eddy?
10. When do people become interested in Spiritism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the belief of each of the cults presented in the book regarding the Holy Spirit.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the value of mail order religion. Is religion conducted through the mail and media providing the same kind of experience as religion with a formal meeting place?
Essay Topic 3
What would be the purpose and the value of a conference on cults? What could be gained by such a conference?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)