|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the most important characteristic of cults?
(a) Open mindedness
(b) Acceptance of Christian doctrine
(c) Closed mindedness
(d) Cognitive evaluation of facts
2. Unitarian dogmas began gaining popularity in which century?
3. Hubbard published his religious views and views on therapy in _________________________________.
(a) a novel
(b) a science fiction story
(c) Dianetics: The Modern Science of Mental Health
(d) there is no such publication
4. Mrs. Eddy founded and taught at the ________________________________.
(a) Boston College
(b) Massachusetts Institute of Religion
(c) Massachusetts Metaphysical College
(d) Boston University
5. The Stake High Council consists of ________________________-.
(a) ten high priests
(b) the First Presidency
(c) all priests
(d) twelve high priests
6. Christians and cultists should focus their attention on __________________________.
(c) Biblical quotes
(d) Definition of terms
7. Mormons believe in ___________________________.
(a) avoidance of caffeine
(b) avoidance of tobacco
(c) all of the below
(d) avoidance of alcohol
8. The goal of the Baha'i Faith is _____________________________.
(a) the unity of all religions under Baha'ism
(b) salvation of souls
(c) the eradication of Christianity
(d) the eradication of Judaism
9. What are the two advantages of the cultist regarding the use of redefinitions?
(a) Surprise and anger
(b) Anger and confusion
(c) Surprise and logic
(d) Surprise and confusion
10. The Watchtower uses term switching in regards to ________________________.
(a) The definition of God
(b) The definition of hell
(c) The definition of personal values
(d) The definitions of the Trinity
11. Jehovah's Witnesses believed that Christ returned in ___________.
(c) He will never return
(d) They are still waiting
12. The Baha'i World Faith is an offshoot of _____________.
13. The teachings of Scientology __________________________________.
(a) are the same as orthodox Christian doctrine
(b) are contrary to orthodox Christian doctrine
(c) there are no specific teachings
(d) are based on Judeao teachings
14. The Dawn Bible Students Association ________________________________.
(a) Were the sect the Jehovah's Witnesses split from
(b) Were a part of the Watchtower
(c) Were a splinter group
(d) Represented the true followers of Russell
15. The Mormon practice of polygamy began in ___________________.
(a) never existed
(b) Kirkland, Ohio
(c) Independence, Missouri
(d) Salt Lake City, Utah
Short Answer Questions
1. The personal antagonism of the cultists is directed against ____________________________________.
2. In the 1920s, who identified cults as a force in American Protestantism?
3. The Bible warns against the teachings of _________________________.
4. The founder of the Baha'i World Faith was _____________________________.
5. Why is it believed that Christian Science prevents members from receiving medical treatment?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)