|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles Taze Russel was the founder of ____________________.
(c) Jehovah's Witnesses
(d) Seventh Days Adventists
2. Who is the founder of the Mormon faith?
(a) Brigham Young
(b) Charles Taze Russell
(c) Joseph Smith, Jr.
(d) Spencer W. Kimball
3. The Mormon practice of polygamy began in ___________________.
(a) Salt Lake City, Utah
(b) Independence, Missouri
(c) never existed
(d) Kirkland, Ohio
4. The Mormon Church ______________________________.
(a) asks members to donate as much money as they can afford
(b) requires the Biblical tithe of one tenth
(c) requires missionary work of all if members
(d) requires the donation of twenty hours per week
5. How can the cultist claim to agree with various quotes from the Bible?
(a) They have the same beliefs
(b) There are no doctrinal issues between cults and mainstream Christianity
(c) Terms have been redefined
(d) They lie
6. In the 1920s, who identified cults as a force in American Protestantism?
(a) Charles W. Fergueson
(b) Dr. Marcus Bach
(c) Charles T. Russell
(d) Dr. Charles Braden
7. The new vocabulary has _______________________________________.
(a) Enhanced the meanings of the Scriptures
(b) Resulted in no reinterpretation of the Scriptures
(c) Changed the meanings of traditional concepts in the Scriptures
(d) Had no effect on the meaning of the Scriptures
8. The Watchtower uses term switching in regards to ________________________.
(a) The definition of hell
(b) The definitions of the Trinity
(c) The definition of personal values
(d) The definition of God
9. As a result of the new vocabulary, __________________________________________.
(a) Cults do not pay any attention to the new vgocabulary
(b) Basic terms have the same meanings
(c) The traditional Christian and the cultist are basically speaking different languages
(d) The meaning of doctrine is unaffected
10. The teachings of Scientology __________________________________.
(a) are the same as orthodox Christian doctrine
(b) are based on Judeao teachings
(c) there are no specific teachings
(d) are contrary to orthodox Christian doctrine
11. Do Christian Science teachings closely follow the Bible?
(a) yes, there are few deviations
(b) no, there are many deviations and terminology switches
(c) there are few redefinitions
(d) Christian Scientists do not accept the Bible
12. What is a part of cult membership?
(a) Psychological conditioning
(b) Promotion of free thinking
(c) Empasis on logic
(d) Free choice
13. The theology of Spiritism is based on _________________________________.
(a) there is no theology
(b) the Eightfold Path
(c) the Seven Principles
(d) the Four Noble Truths
14. What is used to measure the veracity of cults?
(a) The scope of the group activities
(b) The intensity of the group beliefs
(c) The group values
(d) The authority of the Scriptures
15. According to Jehovah's Witnesses, hell, the place of fiery torment ___________________________.
(a) Does not exist
(c) Receives all non-members
(d) Is a concept from the Bible
Short Answer Questions
1. Mirz Ali Hummad was known as ________________.
2. The Bible warns against the teachings of _________________________.
3. Why is it important to be knowledgeable about Christian doctrine?
4. Term switching is ____________________________.
5. What is most important in establishing rapport with a cult member?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)