|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To the Unitarian Universalists, which of the following does not contribute to salvation?
(a) character development
(b) last rites
(c) faith in God
(d) good works
2. Zen Buddhism is _______________________________.
(a) the second oldest form of cult activity
(b) a major world religion
(c) the oldest form of cult activity
(d) a relatively new cult
3. Mary Baker Eddy's book, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures _________________________.
(a) contained many plagiarisms
(b) became a bestseller
(c) explained Mrs. Eddy's philosophy
(d) contained the truths of Mind Science
4. Christian Scientists believe that hell is _________________________.
(a) a place of fire and brimstone
(b) the place where all non-members go
(c) a temporary holding place
(d) made by the sinner who does evil
5. Term switching is ____________________________.
(a) The most potent tool of cults
(b) Allows for dialogue betwen the cultist and the traditional Christian
(c) The most potent tool of the traditional Christian
(d) Has no function for the cultist
6. What are the two advantages of the cultist regarding the use of redefinitions?
(a) Surprise and anger
(b) Anger and confusion
(c) Surprise and confusion
(d) Surprise and logic
7. The Baha'i World Faith is an offshoot of _____________.
8. The goal of the Baha'i Faith is _____________________________.
(a) the eradication of Christianity
(b) salvation of souls
(c) the eradication of Judaism
(d) the unity of all religions under Baha'ism
9. Unitarianism, compared to orthodox Christian practices, is _________________________.
(a) about the same
(b) much more lax
(d) there are noen
10. Redefinition of terms is evident in the Gnostic cults of __________________.
(d) Christian Science
11. Theosophists believe that society __________________________.
(a) society is too diverse to characterize
(b) inherently good
(c) is a growing system of thought
(d) inherently evil
12. The practice of indoctrination falls under which characteristic of a cult?
(b) Personal motivation
(c) Structure of living
(d) Outlook on the world
13. Cults ________________________________.
(a) Are all Christian based
(b) Have the same beliefs
(c) Emphasize different concepts
(d) Have the same practices
14. To the Christian Scientist, the Trinity represents _________________________________.
(a) equality among Father, Son and Holy Spirit
(b) the basis of the Christian Science faith
(c) the reason for the existence of Christian Science
15. The cult tries to present itself as ________________.
(b) A new set of values
(c) An easier form of Christianity
(d) An alternative to Christianity
Short Answer Questions
1. The theology of Spiritism is based on _________________________________.
2. The Dawn Bible Students Association ________________________________.
3. Theosophy __________________________________.
4. What is the most important characteristic of cults?
5. Do Christian Science teachings closely follow the Bible?
This section contains 468 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)