|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Spiritists believe ____________________________________________-.
(a) that the afterlife is whatever each spirit chooses to make it
(b) in the existence of Hell
(c) in the existence of Purgatory
(d) in communication with Satan
2. What is most important in establishing rapport with a cult member?
(a) Lying to the cult members about your own position
(b) Debating the issues
(c) Sharing the cult beliefs
(d) Personal acceptance of the member as a person
3. Zen Buddhists believe _______________________________.
(a) Nirvana is not achievable
(b) many reincarnations are required to obtain Nirvana
(c) Nirvana can be achieved through mediation
(d) prayer is the only thing that matters
4. Which of the following is not recognized by Dr. Rokeach as a level in a belief system?
(a) Individual's outlook
(b) Acceptance of doctrine
(c) Structure of living
5. The personal antagonism of the cultists is directed against ____________________________________.
(a) Authority figures
(b) Those who don't accept the cult-doctrine
(c) Other members of the cult
6. The practice of indoctrination falls under which characteristic of a cult?
(a) Personal motivation
(c) Outlook on the world
(d) Structure of living
7. The purpose of psychological conditioning is to ___________________________.
(a) Develop emotional dependency
(b) Develop free thinking
(c) Elicit a desired response
(d) Create fear
8. The name Jehovah's Witnesses was taken to distinguish the true followers of the founder in _______________.
9. Which two countries and particularly known for their misnomers?
(a) Germany and China
(b) Germany and Italy
(c) Germany and Japan
(d) Russia and China
10. Isolationism is a ________________________.
(a) Goal of Christianity
(b) Psychological trait of cult members
(c) Practiced by Christians
(d) Rejected by cultists
11. Unitarianism, compared to orthodox Christian practices, is _________________________.
(a) there are noen
(b) about the same
(d) much more lax
12. Redefinition of terms is evident in the Gnostic cults of __________________.
(c) Christian Science
13. Christians and cultists should focus their attention on __________________________.
(a) Definition of terms
(c) Biblical quotes
14. Theosophy recognizes ______________________________.
(a) the beliefs of Islam
(b) the ancient cult of Gnosticism
(c) the basic Christian beliefs
(d) a personal God
15. Christian Science members had to circulate and sell the works of Mary Baker Eddy or ________________________.
(a) attend special classes
(b) they weren't allowed to join
(c) lost their membership
(d) pay a tithe
Short Answer Questions
1. The term cult terminology refers to ___________________________________.
2. Christian Scientists believe that hell is _________________________.
3. The popularity of Spiritism is based on ___________________________-.
4. The teachings of Scientology __________________________________.
5. Satori is defined as ___________________________.
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)