|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To the Unitarian Universalists, which of the following does not contribute to salvation?
(a) character development
(b) faith in God
(c) last rites
(d) good works
2. The founder of Scientology had been ____________________________.
(a) a sicentist
(b) a successful science fiction writer
(c) a doctor
(d) a researcher
3. Cults ________________________________.
(a) Are all Christian based
(b) Emphasize different concepts
(c) Have the same practices
(d) Have the same beliefs
4. What is a melting pot?
(a) A melting pot is a blend of nations
(b) A melting pot is a pan to melt butter in
(c) A melting pot is a blend of people, cultures and religions
(d) A melting pot refers to different religions
5. Which of the following is not recognized by Dr. Rokeach as a level in a belief system?
(a) Individual's outlook
(c) Acceptance of doctrine
(d) Structure of living
6. According to Dr. Milton Rokeach, how many levels are recognized in a belief system?
7. Who succeeded Russell as leader when Russell died?
(a) Reverend J.J. Ross
(b) Judge J.F. Rutherford
(c) Russel's wife
(d) Russel's son
8. The Mormon practice of polygamy began in ___________________.
(a) Kirkland, Ohio
(b) never existed
(c) Salt Lake City, Utah
(d) Independence, Missouri
9. The name Jehovah's Witnesses was taken to distinguish the true followers of the founder in _______________.
10. Zen Buddhists believe _______________________________.
(a) prayer is the only thing that matters
(b) Nirvana can be achieved through mediation
(c) many reincarnations are required to obtain Nirvana
(d) Nirvana is not achievable
11. Theorophy can best be described as ______________________.
(a) a form of Spiritism
(b) a form of science
(c) a form of Buddhism
12. Do Christian Science teachings closely follow the Bible?
(a) no, there are many deviations and terminology switches
(b) Christian Scientists do not accept the Bible
(c) there are few redefinitions
(d) yes, there are few deviations
13. What factors are important in the study of non-Christian cults?
14. Theosophists believe that society __________________________.
(a) is a growing system of thought
(b) inherently good
(c) inherently evil
(d) society is too diverse to characterize
15. The way to escape the sorrow of life is to _____________________________.
(a) there is no escape
(c) experience continual reincarnation
(d) follow the Eightfold Path
Short Answer Questions
1. The Baha'i World Faith is an offshoot of _____________.
2. Which is not one of the Four Noble Truths?
3. Redefinition of terms is evident in the Gnostic cults of __________________.
4. Who do Mormons consider to be Gentiles?
5. Which of the following is not a plane of the universe?
This section contains 401 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)