|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Spiritists believe ____________________________________________-.
(a) that the afterlife is whatever each spirit chooses to make it
(b) in communication with Satan
(c) in the existence of Purgatory
(d) in the existence of Hell
2. The Baha'i World Faith is an offshoot of _____________.
3. Cults ________________________________.
(a) Have the same practices
(b) Have the same beliefs
(c) Emphasize different concepts
(d) Are all Christian based
4. Jehovah's Witnesses believed that Christ returned in ___________.
(b) He will never return
(c) They are still waiting
5. The personal antagonism of the cultists is directed against ____________________________________.
(b) Authority figures
(c) Other members of the cult
(d) Those who don't accept the cult-doctrine
6. The new vocabulary has _______________________________________.
(a) Resulted in no reinterpretation of the Scriptures
(b) Changed the meanings of traditional concepts in the Scriptures
(c) Had no effect on the meaning of the Scriptures
(d) Enhanced the meanings of the Scriptures
7. What do cults represent?
(a) A trend away from Christian churches and the teachings of the Bible
(b) A movement toward more enhanced Christianity
(c) A movement toward established religions
(d) A way to bring more people into Christianity
8. What must the Christian pay attention to in discussions with the cultist?
9. The cult's authoritarianism comes from its _______________.
10. Which of the following is not recognized by Dr. Rokeach as a level in a belief system?
(a) Acceptance of doctrine
(c) Individual's outlook
(d) Structure of living
11. The teachings of Scientology __________________________________.
(a) are based on Judeao teachings
(b) are the same as orthodox Christian doctrine
(c) there are no specific teachings
(d) are contrary to orthodox Christian doctrine
12. As a result of the new vocabulary, __________________________________________.
(a) The meaning of doctrine is unaffected
(b) The traditional Christian and the cultist are basically speaking different languages
(c) Cults do not pay any attention to the new vgocabulary
(d) Basic terms have the same meanings
13. Theosophy __________________________________.
(a) rejects the basic Christian doctrines
(b) combines the basic doctrines of Christianity and Judaism
(c) bollows the doctrines from the world's major religions
(d) accepts the basic Christian doctrines
14. Satori is defined as ___________________________.
(a) understanding of reality
(b) a state of prayer
(c) a form of reincarnation
(d) a study of meditation
15. Term switching is ____________________________.
(a) Allows for dialogue betwen the cultist and the traditional Christian
(b) Has no function for the cultist
(c) The most potent tool of the traditional Christian
(d) The most potent tool of cults
Short Answer Questions
1. The cult tries to present itself as ________________.
2. How many cult members are there in the United States?
3. Scientology was founded by ____________________.
4. Mary Baker Eddy believed she wrote under the guidance of _________________________.
5. The Mormons encourage their young people to spend how many years doing missionary work?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)