|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The new vocabulary has _______________________________________.
(a) Had no effect on the meaning of the Scriptures
(b) Enhanced the meanings of the Scriptures
(c) Changed the meanings of traditional concepts in the Scriptures
(d) Resulted in no reinterpretation of the Scriptures
2. Unitarianism, compared to orthodox Christian practices, is _________________________.
(a) much more lax
(c) there are noen
(d) about the same
3. Cults represent ____________________________________.
(a) The attempt of people to fulfill of the human spirit
(b) A social club
(c) A group of people with common interests
(d) A group that meets periodically to solve problems
4. Theosophy __________________________________.
(a) rejects the basic Christian doctrines
(b) combines the basic doctrines of Christianity and Judaism
(c) accepts the basic Christian doctrines
(d) bollows the doctrines from the world's major religions
5. The doctrines of Christian Science __________________________________________.
(a) closely parallel the teachings of traditional Christianity
(b) differ greatly from those of traditional Christianity
(c) vary slightly from the teachings of traditional Christianity
(d) are not related to the teachings of traditional Christianity
6. Which of the following is not recognized by Dr. Rokeach as a level in a belief system?
(a) Individual's outlook
(b) Structure of living
(d) Acceptance of doctrine
7. Why is it believed that Christian Science prevents members from receiving medical treatment?
(a) the basic belief that mind is everything and that matter is not mind
(b) the belief in mind over matter
(c) the belief that matter is sinful
(d) there are no beliefs concerning medical treatment
8. What is used in the evaluation of cults?
(a) Common sense
(c) The gospels of Christ
(d) Personal values
9. The way to escape the sorrow of life is to _____________________________.
(b) experience continual reincarnation
(c) follow the Eightfold Path
(d) there is no escape
10. The cult tries to present itself as ________________.
(a) An easier form of Christianity
(b) A new set of values
(c) An alternative to Christianity
11. What is a cult?
(a) A cult refers to a group of oddballs
(b) A cult refers to people with similar beliefs
(c) A cult refers to a groups of people with different beliefs
(d) A cult refers to a religious group that differs significantly from other religious groups in some respects.
12. Who is considered a great prophet of Spiritism?
(a) Daniel Webster
(b) Robert Dale Owen
(c) Harriet Beecher Stowe
(d) Andrew Jackson Davis
13. Which of the following is not a plane of the universe?
14. Which doctrine is usually defined by cultists?
(c) The reason for existence
(d) The Trinity
15. The Baha'i World Faith is an offshoot of _____________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Redefinition of terms is evident in the Gnostic cults of __________________.
2. Cults ________________________________.
3. Mrs. Eddy founded and taught at the ________________________________.
4. The founder of Scientology had been ____________________________.
5. What is the danger of contact with the Spirits?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)