|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the letter from Isabella Laisdell to the judge say?
2. Who did Benjamin marry after returning from meeting Margaret Matthews?
3. What was clear after the prosecution rested their case?
4. What was the name of the law cabinet hired to defend Matthews?
5. What type of newspaper focused on crime and human interest rather that financial or political news?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was surprised that Robert was alive?
2. What did Charles obtain and what happened to Isabella and Benjamin as a result?
3. What did Matthews claim to be the Spirit of?
4. What happened in Isabella Van Wagenen's life from 1797 to 1827 according to "The Kingdom, Parts 4 through 6"?
5. What did Matthews eventually ban?
6. What debate raged over Matthews?
7. What did the judge decide regarding the charges and what happened to Matthews?
8. What about Matthews concerned the community?
9. What did Matthews predict in 1851?
10. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the anti-Burgher Secession Church with Calvinism and Catholicism, examining the similarities and differences among the three churches.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the significance of Matthews' fire and brimstone sermons, and the claims that Matthews made about himself.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the history of religious cult readers and how they influence believers.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)