|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the press outraged by the verdict against Matthews according to the "Epilogue"?
2. Which of Elijah's beliefs did Matthews totally discard?
3. Who published an account of the Kingdom portraying the Folgers as the main villains?
4. What charges were added by the district attorney against Matthews before the murder trial?
5. What did Elijah call his seizures?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matthews eventually ban?
2. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
3. Where was Matthews reportedly seen after his time at Kirtland?
4. What did Isabella Van Wagenen change her name to and what did she become?
5. Who was Charles and what did he tell anyone who would listen?
6. What did Catherine confess a vision confirmed in "The Downfall, Parts 1 through 4"?
7. Why had Isabella come to resent Ann?
8. What did Matthews claim to be the Spirit of?
9. What about Matthews concerned the community?
10. What did the judge decide regarding the charges and what happened to Matthews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the history of religious cult readers and how they influence believers.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the significance of Matthews' fire and brimstone sermons, and the claims that Matthews made about himself.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of Finneyism, including its philosophy and role in the United States during the 1800's.
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)