|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who followed Matthews to meet his estranged wife after Matthews was released from prison?
2. Who did Matthews take residence with after meeting Elijah?
3. When did Matthews die according to some reports?
4. What was Elijah depressed about?
5. Who helped Matthews hire a competent law team?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Charles obtain and what happened to Isabella and Benjamin as a result?
2. What did Matthews turn Mount Zion into?
3. What did Matthews eventually ban?
4. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
5. Why had Isabella come to resent Ann?
6. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
7. What did Matthews claim to be the Spirit of?
8. What was not revealed during the testimonies for the prosecution?
9. Why was Benjamin oblivious to the courtship between Ann and Matthews?
10. Who was surprised that Robert was alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the charges made against Matthews and the significance of the trial.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact of the penny press and how their publications influenced early Americans.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the anti-Burgher Secession Church with Calvinism and Catholicism, examining the similarities and differences among the three churches.
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)