|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calmed Benjamin into submission after a fight with Matthews?
2. Who was the district attorney in charge of Matthews' case?
3. How much was the yearly rent for Mount Zion which Matthews had to pay after Folger's ruin?
4. What was Paul Johnson unable to find traces of?
5. What was forcibly cut from Matthews?
Short Essay Questions
1. What suit did Isabella Van Wagenen successfully conclude?
2. Who was Charles and what did he tell anyone who would listen?
3. What did Matthews claim he became a victim of in "The Downfall, Parts 5 through 8"?
4. What debate raged over Matthews?
5. What happened to Benjamin and Ann Folger after the trial?
6. What did the judge decide regarding the charges and what happened to Matthews?
7. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
8. Where was Matthews reportedly seen after his time at Kirtland?
9. What about Matthews concerned the community?
10. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the belief of predestination in Calvinist tradition and discuss its significance.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the complexity of relationships in The Kingdom of Matthias, including the belief in a "match spirit."
Essay Topic 3
Examine the relationship between Elijah and Sarah, as well as Elijah's role in The Kingdom of Matthias.
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)