|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Matthews use to explain the color of his wardrobe?
2. What did Benjamin Folger realize after a trip to New York?
3. What did Matthews realize when he met Elijah for the first time according to "The Kingdom, Parts 1 through 3"?
4. Who did Matthews take residence with after meeting Elijah?
5. What was the name of the estate Matthews moved into after his release from the mental hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why had Isabella come to resent Ann?
2. Who was surprised that Robert was alive?
3. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
4. What did Matthews eventually ban?
5. Why did prosecutors abandon the fraud case against Matthews?
6. What did Charles obtain and what happened to Isabella and Benjamin as a result?
7. What did Matthews turn Mount Zion into?
8. Where was Matthews reportedly seen after his time at Kirtland?
9. What about Matthews concerned the community?
10. Who was Ann Folger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Elijah, Matthews, and Benjamin, examining the similarities and differences in their beliefs and actions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the complexity of relationships in The Kingdom of Matthias, including the belief in a "match spirit."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)