|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Margaret announce to Matthews during the trial?
2. What did the coroner that examined Elijah conclude?
3. Who did Isabella Van Wagenen sue for slander?
4. How much money did Benjamin Folger give Matthews on the pretext of establishing a new Kingdom in the west?
5. What cult leaders does Paul Johnson tie Matthews to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the judge decide regarding the charges and what happened to Matthews?
2. Who was Ann Folger?
3. What was not revealed during the testimonies for the prosecution?
4. Why was Benjamin oblivious to the courtship between Ann and Matthews?
5. What debate raged over Matthews?
6. What did Isabella Laisdell swear when she appeared on the stand?
7. What did Matthews claim to be the Spirit of?
8. What did Matthews turn Mount Zion into?
9. What did Catherine confess a vision confirmed in "The Downfall, Parts 1 through 4"?
10. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Matthews' ban of prayer and why he disagreed with traditional Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the significance of Matthews' fire and brimstone sermons, and the claims that Matthews made about himself.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the anti-Burgher Secession Church with Calvinism and Catholicism, examining the similarities and differences among the three churches.
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)