|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Margaret announce to Matthews during the trial?
2. How many people composed Elijah's flock when Matthews arrived?
3. What was Benjamin forced to do with his wife Ann?
4. Who did Matthews take residence with after meeting Elijah?
5. What was clear after the prosecution rested their case?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matthews predict in 1851?
2. Who was Ann Folger?
3. What did Matthews claim to be the Spirit of?
4. Why did the Thompsons join the Kingdom and then leave shortly after?
5. Why was Benjamin oblivious to the courtship between Ann and Matthews?
6. What did Matthews eventually ban?
7. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
8. What happened to Benjamin and Ann Folger after the trial?
9. What did Isabella Van Wagenen change her name to and what did she become?
10. What did the judge decide regarding the charges and what happened to Matthews?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss why The Kingdom dissolved and the significance of its dissolution.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the Calvinist tradition and doctrine in the United States and how it influenced early settlers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Elijah, Matthews, and Benjamin, examining the similarities and differences in their beliefs and actions.
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)