|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Charles do to get his wife back?
2. Who did the Folgers partner with to publish the cruelty Matthews inflicted on its followers?
3. What was Benjamin forced to do with his wife Ann?
4. Who said to Isabella Van Wagenen that a vision confirmed her being a match spirit with Benjamin Folger in the "The Downfall, Parts 1 through 4"?
5. What was the name of the estate Matthews moved into after his release from the mental hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Catherine confess a vision confirmed in "The Downfall, Parts 1 through 4"?
2. What did Matthews eventually ban?
3. What did Matthews claim he became a victim of in "The Downfall, Parts 5 through 8"?
4. What did Isabella Laisdell swear when she appeared on the stand?
5. Why did prosecutors abandon the fraud case against Matthews?
6. What did Matthews turn Mount Zion into?
7. What physical decline did Elijah suffer from?
8. What did Matthews claim to be the Spirit of?
9. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
10. What did Isabella Van Wagenen change her name to and what did she become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of Finneyism, including its philosophy and role in the United States during the 1800's.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the Calvinist tradition and doctrine in the United States and how it influenced early settlers.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)