|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Paul Johnson unable to find traces of?
2. What was Benjamin Folger trying to salvage after Matthews took over his estate?
3. Who testified for the prosecution?
4. What name did God tell Isabella Van Wagenen to take?
5. Who was able to obtain a warrant for Matthews' arrest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
2. What did Benjamin agree to regarding Ann as "Mother"?
3. What did Charles obtain and what happened to Isabella and Benjamin as a result?
4. Why had Isabella come to resent Ann?
5. What did Isabella Laisdell swear when she appeared on the stand?
6. Where was Matthews reportedly seen after his time at Kirtland?
7. What did the judge decide regarding the charges and what happened to Matthews?
8. What debate raged over Matthews?
9. Why did prosecutors abandon the fraud case against Matthews?
10. What physical decline did Elijah suffer from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the impact of the penny press and how their publications influenced early Americans.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of anti-Mason sentiment and the influence of masonry in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Matthews' relationships with his wife, Margaret and children and how it influenced him.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)