|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Elijah cut his allowance to Matthews?
2. Who was Mount Zion signed over to after Folger's ruin?
3. What charges were added by the district attorney against Matthews before the murder trial?
4. What vision did Matthews have about Ann Folger?
5. What did Benjamin and Ann do to defend their reputations?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Charles and what did he tell anyone who would listen?
2. What did Matthews claim he became a victim of in "The Downfall, Parts 5 through 8"?
3. What about Matthews concerned the community?
4. What did Matthews eventually ban?
5. What did Isabella Van Wagenen change her name to and what did she become?
6. What did the judge decide regarding the charges and what happened to Matthews?
7. What happened in Isabella Van Wagenen's life from 1797 to 1827 according to "The Kingdom, Parts 4 through 6"?
8. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
9. What did Isabella Laisdell swear when she appeared on the stand?
10. What did Benjamin agree to regarding Ann as "Mother"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the charges made against Matthews and the significance of the trial.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the complexity of relationships in The Kingdom of Matthias, including the belief in a "match spirit."
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of Matthews' fire and brimstone sermons, and the claims that Matthews made about himself.
This section contains 592 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)