|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the estate Matthews moved into after his release from the mental hospital?
2. Who said to Isabella Van Wagenen that a vision confirmed her being a match spirit with Benjamin Folger in the "The Downfall, Parts 1 through 4"?
3. Who was Matthews' servant after his release from the mental hospital?
4. What was the name of the law cabinet hired to defend Matthews?
5. Which of Elijah's beliefs did Matthews totally discard?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matthews claim he became a victim of in "The Downfall, Parts 5 through 8"?
2. What suit did Isabella Van Wagenen successfully conclude?
3. What did Matthews claim to be the Spirit of?
4. What debate raged over Matthews?
5. What did Isabella Van Wagenen change her name to and what did she become?
6. What did Matthews eventually ban?
7. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
8. Why was Benjamin oblivious to the courtship between Ann and Matthews?
9. What did the judge decide regarding the charges and what happened to Matthews?
10. How did Isabella describe Ann?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role of Ann as "Mother of the Kingdom" and why this role was significant.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Matthews' relationships with his wife, Margaret and children and how it influenced him.
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)