|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
2. What did Sarah's death spark in Elijah?
3. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
4. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
5. What church did Matthews attend as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
2. What happened to Matthews' family while they were in Albany?
3. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
4. What was Kirtland and what did it predate?
5. How did Matthias see the United States?
6. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
7. Who was Reverend Abraham Pierson and what was he instrumental?
8. What did the Anti-Burgher Secession Church stress and de-emphasize?
9. Who was Robert Matthews in "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
10. What was the Anti-Burgher Secession Church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the anti-Burgher Secession Church with Calvinism and Catholicism, examining the similarities and differences among the three churches.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of Matthews' fire and brimstone sermons, and the claims that Matthews made about himself.
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)