|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Matthews leave the farm to live with a carpenter?
2. When did Sarah and Elijah marry?
3. What name did Matthews use to introduce himself to Joseph Smith?
4. What was the name of the sister church of the Retrenchment Society?
5. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Matthews' formal request to join Kirks' church denied?
2. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
3. What happened to Matthews' family while they were in Albany?
4. What did Kirk establish after his dismissal?
5. What did Matthews denounce?
6. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
7. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
8. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
9. Who was Elijah Pierson according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
10. What happened in Sarah's life in mid-June 1830?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the Calvinist tradition and doctrine in the United States and how it influenced early settlers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Elijah, Matthews, and Benjamin, examining the similarities and differences in their beliefs and actions.
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)