|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who personified the middle class' evangelical reformists of the 1820's and 1840's?
2. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
3. How many of his sons did Matthews lose to illness between 1816 and 1819?
4. What congregation did Kirk work at when he first arrived in Albany?
5. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Matthews interred in an asylum for two weeks?
2. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
3. What did Elijah do in 1820 and why was this significant?
4. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
5. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
6. Why was Matthews' formal request to join Kirks' church denied?
7. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
8. How were the Calvinist social ranks exhibited?
9. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
10. Who was Elijah Pierson according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Matthews' ban of prayer and why he disagreed with traditional Christianity.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the anti-Burgher Secession Church with Calvinism and Catholicism, examining the similarities and differences among the three churches.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the missionary community in the 1800's and the significance it had on early American culture.
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)