|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claimed to have spoken to God since childhood?
2. Who refused to talk to Elijah after Sarah's death?
3. When did Matthews knock on Elijah's door?
4. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
5. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement think of the Calvinist family structure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
2. How did Joseph Smith feel about Matthias and what did he do after a sermon?
3. What was the Anti-Burgher Secession Church?
4. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
5. How did Matthias see the United States?
6. Who did Elijah meet?
7. Who was Reverend Abraham Pierson and what was he instrumental?
8. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
9. What did Kirk establish after his dismissal?
10. What happened to Matthews' family while they were in Albany?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the complexity of relationships in The Kingdom of Matthias, including the belief in a "match spirit."
Essay Topic 2
Examine the significance of Matthews' fire and brimstone sermons, and the claims that Matthews made about himself.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)