|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Matthews marry Margaret?
2. When did Matthews' parents die?
3. Why did Matthews not introduce himself to Joseph Smith under his real name?
4. Who personified the middle class' evangelical reformists of the 1820's and 1840's?
5. When was Elijah born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Elijah meet?
2. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
3. What did Elijah do in 1820 and why was this significant?
4. What happened at the end of June, 1830?
5. How were the Calvinist social ranks exhibited?
6. How did Matthias see the United States?
7. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
8. Who was Elijah Pierson according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
9. Who was Robert Matthews in "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
10. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the anti-Burgher Secession Church with Calvinism and Catholicism, examining the similarities and differences among the three churches.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of anti-Mason sentiment and the influence of masonry in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Matthews' relationships with his wife, Margaret and children and how it influenced him.
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)