|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Matthews not introduce himself to Joseph Smith under his real name?
2. When did Kirk arrive in Albany according to "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7"?
3. What was the name of the church at the center of Elijah's childhood town?
4. What did Matthews do after abandoning his family?
5. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
2. Who was Robert Matthews in "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
3. In "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7," where did Kirk arrive in 1828 and what post was he dismissed from?
4. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
5. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
6. How were the Calvinist social ranks exhibited?
7. What did Elijah volunteer to become in 1819?
8. What happened in Sarah's life in mid-June 1830?
9. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
10. What did the Anti-Burgher Secession Church stress and de-emphasize?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Matthews' relationships with his wife, Margaret and children and how it influenced him.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the complexity of relationships in The Kingdom of Matthias, including the belief in a "match spirit."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Sojourner Truth in the abolitionist movement and what influenced her to become involved.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)