|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Elijah born?
2. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
3. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement think of the Calvinist family structure?
4. What did Joseph Smith found?
5. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Anti-Burgher Secession Church stress and de-emphasize?
2. What did Matthews denounce?
3. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
4. Why was Matthews' formal request to join Kirks' church denied?
5. What did Kirk establish after his dismissal?
6. Who did Elijah meet?
7. Who was Robert Matthews in "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
8. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
9. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
10. What did Elijah volunteer to become in 1819?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the missionary community in the 1800's and the significance it had on early American culture.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of Finneyism, including its philosophy and role in the United States during the 1800's.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of Matthews' fire and brimstone sermons, and the claims that Matthews made about himself.
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)