|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Elijah born?
2. When did Elijah open a mercantile firm on Pearl Street?
3. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
4. What was Elijah's wife's name?
5. What did Sarah's death spark in Elijah?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Matthias see the United States?
2. Who was Elijah Pierson according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
3. What did Catherine confess a vision confirmed in "The Downfall, Parts 1 through 4"?
4. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
5. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
6. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
7. How did Isabella describe Ann?
8. What did Matthews denounce?
9. What became clear by the latter half of 1830?
10. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the charges made against Matthews and the significance of the trial.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Elijah, Matthews, and Benjamin, examining the similarities and differences in their beliefs and actions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the complexity of relationships in The Kingdom of Matthias, including the belief in a "match spirit."
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)