|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Matthews choose for himself after abandoning his family?
2. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
3. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
4. Who did the Scot church stress led the family?
5. Where was Matthews going at the start of the "Prologue"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Sarah's life in mid-June 1830?
2. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
3. What happened at the end of June, 1830?
4. How did Joseph Smith feel about Matthias and what did he do after a sermon?
5. Who was Elijah Pierson according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
6. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
7. How did Matthias see the United States?
8. What was the Anti-Burgher Secession Church?
9. What happened to Matthews' family while they were in Albany?
10. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the missionary community in the 1800's and the significance it had on early American culture.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the complexity of relationships in The Kingdom of Matthias, including the belief in a "match spirit."
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)