|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
2. When did Matthews beat a woman according to historical evidences?
3. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
4. When did Elijah and Sarah move to Bowery Hill to join a burgeoning perfectionist community?
5. What congregation did Kirk work at when he first arrived in Albany?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Elijah volunteer to become in 1819?
2. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
3. What did Elijah do in 1820 and why was this significant?
4. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
5. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
6. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
7. What happened to Matthews' family while they were in Albany?
8. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
9. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
10. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the impact of the penny press and how their publications influenced early Americans.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the anti-Burgher Secession Church with Calvinism and Catholicism, examining the similarities and differences among the three churches.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the missionary community in the 1800's and the significance it had on early American culture.
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)