|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
2. Why was Matthews released after being arrested for domestic abuse?
3. What prompted Albany's commercial revolution when Matthews tried his luck there?
4. What did Elijah's partners in the prostitute mission do after Sarah's death?
5. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
2. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
3. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
4. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
5. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
6. What became clear by the latter half of 1830?
7. How were the Calvinist social ranks exhibited?
8. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
9. In "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7," where did Kirk arrive in 1828 and what post was he dismissed from?
10. What was Kirtland and what did it predate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the Calvinist tradition and doctrine in the United States and how it influenced early settlers.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Matthews' ban of prayer and why he disagreed with traditional Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the belief of predestination in Calvinist tradition and discuss its significance.
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)