|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became the center of moral instruction and domestic authority in Elijah's movement?
2. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
3. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
4. What did Matthews try to do to his coworkers?
5. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Elijah Pierson according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
2. What did Kirk establish after his dismissal?
3. What was the Anti-Burgher Secession Church?
4. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
5. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
6. How did Joseph Smith feel about Matthias and what did he do after a sermon?
7. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
8. What did God and Jesus promise to Elijah?
9. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
10. What happened at the end of June, 1830?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of anti-Mason sentiment and the influence of masonry in the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Matthews' ban of prayer and why he disagreed with traditional Christianity.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)