|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Elijah join the Spring's Brick Presbyterian Church?
2. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
3. Who refused to talk to Elijah after Sarah's death?
4. What did Sarah's death spark in Elijah?
5. Why did Matthews not introduce himself to Joseph Smith under his real name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
2. Who was Reverend Abraham Pierson and what was he instrumental?
3. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
4. What happened to Matthews' family while they were in Albany?
5. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
6. What did Kirk establish after his dismissal?
7. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
8. What was Kirtland and what did it predate?
9. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
10. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the charges made against Matthews and the significance of the trial.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the history of religious cult readers and how they influence believers.
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)