|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elijah and Sarah Start to get prostitutes off the street?
2. What church did Matthews attend as a child?
3. When did Matthews stop shaving?
4. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
5. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Matthews denounce?
2. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
3. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
4. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
5. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
6. What happened at the end of June, 1830?
7. Who was Robert Matthews in "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
8. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
9. What happened in Sarah's life in mid-June 1830?
10. Who was Reverend Abraham Pierson and what was he instrumental?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of anti-Mason sentiment and the influence of masonry in the United States.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role of Finneyism, including its philosophy and role in the United States during the 1800's.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of Sojourner Truth in the abolitionist movement and what influenced her to become involved.
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)