|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Matthews going at the start of the "Prologue"?
2. What religious upbringing did Elijah have?
3. What church did Matthews attend as a child?
4. What congregation did Kirk work at when he first arrived in Albany?
5. What was Sarah's maiden name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Robert Matthews in "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
2. Who was Elijah Pierson according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
3. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
4. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
5. What did God and Jesus promise to Elijah?
6. What was the Anti-Burgher Secession Church?
7. What did Elijah do in 1820 and why was this significant?
8. How were the Calvinist social ranks exhibited?
9. What became clear by the latter half of 1830?
10. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of Kirtland, Joseph Smith, and Mormonism in The Kingdom of Matthias.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the significance of Matthews' fire and brimstone sermons, and the claims that Matthews made about himself.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the sensationalist literary tradition and how it was influenced by Matthews' trial.
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)