|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Elijah cut his allowance to Matthews?
(a) April 1833.
(b) April 1835.
(c) April 1831.
(d) April 1839.
2. What did Elijah do when Matthews escaped to New York?
(a) He tried to take Ann as his wife.
(b) He declared himself Father of the Kingdom.
(c) He tried to kill himself.
(d) He tried to disoblige the Kingdom.
3. Who did the Folgers partner with to publish the cruelty Matthews inflicted on its followers?
(a) William Leete Stone.
(b) Williams and Lee.
(c) Stone Williams.
(d) Lee and Stone.
4. What did Benjamin and Ann do to defend their reputations?
(a) They claimed they were coerced.
(b) They went to counseling.
(c) They paid the newspaper to have an article.
(d) They wrote a book explaining their side of the story.
5. Who did Matthews take residence with after meeting Elijah?
(a) Sarah Mill.
(b) Solomon Mill.
(c) Andrea Mills.
(d) Sylvester Mills.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Matthews met with Margaret?
2. Who wrote an account of the Kingdom with the help of Isabella Van Wagenen?
3. Who was welcomed back by an old church after Matthews' trial?
4. When did Isabella Van Wagenen join Elijah's household?
5. When did Matthews die according to some reports?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did prosecutors abandon the fraud case against Matthews?
2. Why did the Thompsons join the Kingdom and then leave shortly after?
3. What did Benjamin agree to regarding Ann as "Mother"?
4. How did Matthews commission Elijah according to "The Kingdom, Parts 1 through 3"?
5. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
6. What did Matthews eventually ban?
7. What was not revealed during the testimonies for the prosecution?
8. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
9. Why was Benjamin oblivious to the courtship between Ann and Matthews?
10. What physical decline did Elijah suffer from?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)