|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of newspaper focused on crime and human interest rather that financial or political news?
(a) Dime press.
(b) Penny press.
(c) Nickel press.
(d) Quarter press.
2. Who did Isabella Van Wagenen sue for slander?
(a) The lawyers Matthews hired.
(b) The newspaper.
(c) The district attorney.
(d) Benjamin Folger.
3. What was Matthew's legal team able to do during the trial?
(a) Rebut every piece of evidence.
(b) Attack the prosecution in the paper.
(c) Tear the witnesses apart.
(d) Tear the prosecution apart.
4. What was Elijah depressed about?
(a) He never raised Sarah from the dead.
(b) He never became a prophet.
(c) He never left New York.
(d) He never found a match spirit.
5. How long of a sentence did Matthews receive for the assault charges?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 9 months.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 2 months.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Elijah's beliefs did Matthews totally discard?
2. Who did Matthews want to live with after being cut off by Elijah?
3. On what did Matthew blame Elijah's death?
4. What was Benjamin Folger trying to salvage after Matthews took over his estate?
5. What conclusion did Isabella Van Wagenen draw about Ann Folger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did prosecutors abandon the fraud case against Matthews?
2. Why did the Thompsons join the Kingdom and then leave shortly after?
3. What about Matthews concerned the community?
4. What did Matthews predict in 1851?
5. What did Benjamin agree to regarding Ann as "Mother"?
6. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
7. Who was Ann Folger?
8. What did Matthews claim to be the Spirit of?
9. What physical decline did Elijah suffer from?
10. What did Charles obtain and what happened to Isabella and Benjamin as a result?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)