|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What vision did Matthews have about Ann Folger?
(a) He saw her as the Mother of the Kingdom.
(b) He saw her as the next prophet.
(c) He saw her as a sister.
(d) He saw her as a saint.
2. Why was the charge of fraud dropped?
(a) They couldn't stand hearing his sermons.
(b) The witnesses recanted.
(c) They couldn't prove he was not an agent of the Lord.
(d) They found out he was a prophet.
3. What did Matthews say to the police when they interrogated him in "The Downfall, Parts 5 through 8"?
(a) He was instructed by God.
(b) He conspired with Isabella.
(c) He was paid to kill Elijah.
(d) He didn't do anything wrong.
4. Who did Isabella Van Wagenen sue for slander?
(a) Benjamin Folger.
(b) The district attorney.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) The lawyers Matthews hired.
5. Who did the Folgers partner with to publish the cruelty Matthews inflicted on its followers?
(a) Lee and Stone.
(b) Stone Williams.
(c) William Leete Stone.
(d) Williams and Lee.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Eliah think told him to follow Matthews' every command?
2. Who was Mount Zion signed over to after Folger's ruin?
3. When did Elijah cut his allowance to Matthews?
4. What cult leaders does Paul Johnson tie Matthews to?
5. Who wrote an account of the Kingdom with the help of Isabella Van Wagenen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Charles obtain and what happened to Isabella and Benjamin as a result?
2. What did Catherine confess a vision confirmed in "The Downfall, Parts 1 through 4"?
3. What did Isabella Laisdell swear when she appeared on the stand?
4. What did Matthews claim he became a victim of in "The Downfall, Parts 5 through 8"?
5. What suit did Isabella Van Wagenen successfully conclude?
6. How did Matthews commission Elijah according to "The Kingdom, Parts 1 through 3"?
7. What did Isabella Van Wagenen change her name to and what did she become?
8. Why did penny press editors complain according to the "Epilogue"?
9. What about Matthews concerned the community?
10. What tradition continues to the present day according to Paul E. Johnson?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)