|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Elijah join the Spring's Brick Presbyterian Church?
2. Who claimed to have spoken to God since childhood?
(a) Ann Goll.
(b) Isabella Van Wagenen.
(d) Margaret Matthews.
3. Why did Matthews not introduce himself to Joseph Smith under his real name?
(a) He wanted to infiltrate the Mormons.
(b) He was escaping jail time.
(c) He was infamous in New York.
(d) Joseph Smith didn't want any competitive preachers.
4. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
(a) Greater equality.
(b) Having men be subservient.
(c) Having men in charge of religion and women in charge of the household.
(d) Having women be subservient.
5. When was Elijah born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sat in the front of a Calvinist church in the early 1800's?
2. What type of evangelical person was Elijah?
3. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
4. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
5. What Jew influenced Matthews after he returned to New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in Sarah's life in mid-June 1830?
2. In "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7," where did Kirk arrive in 1828 and what post was he dismissed from?
3. What did Elijah do in 1820 and why was this significant?
4. What was the Anti-Burgher Secession Church?
5. Who was Elijah Pierson according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
6. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
7. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
8. What was Kirtland and what did it predate?
9. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
10. What did Matthews denounce?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)