|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Matthews and Joseph Smith advocate for society?
(a) A strong matriarchy.
(b) A strong patriarchy.
(c) A strong government.
(d) Equality between men and women.
2. What did the Retrenchment Society build according to "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
(a) A church for the slaves.
(b) Schools for poor children.
(c) A clinic for the poor.
(d) A hotel.
3. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
(a) Notre Dame Church.
(b) St. Michael's Church.
(c) St. Andrew's Church.
(d) North Dutch Church.
4. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
(a) "His mind was evidently filled with darkness."
(b) "He would be a good leader."
(c) "He couldn't control himself."
(d) "His way was the only way."
5. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews was trouble.
(b) Matthews would be a bad influence
(c) Matthews was not a good leader.
(d) Matthews was unreliable.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did Elijah pray at Sarah's funeral?
2. When did Sarah fall ill?
3. When did Matthews abandon his family?
4. How did Matthews' coworkers deem him?
5. What did Elijah do after quitting his job?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Matthias see the United States?
2. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
3. What did Kirk establish after his dismissal?
4. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
5. How were the Calvinist social ranks exhibited?
6. In "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7," where did Kirk arrive in 1828 and what post was he dismissed from?
7. How did Joseph Smith feel about Matthias and what did he do after a sermon?
8. What became clear by the latter half of 1830?
9. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
10. What did Matthews denounce?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)