|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What Jew influenced Matthews after he returned to New York?
(a) Mordecai Maidanik.
(b) Mordecai Manuel Noah.
(c) Mordecai Aaronson.
(d) Rabbi Adelstine.
2. Who claimed to have spoken to God since childhood?
(a) Margaret Matthews.
(c) Ann Goll.
(d) Isabella Van Wagenen.
3. What did Smith know about Joshua after their first meeting?
(a) That he wanted him to stay.
(b) That his beliefs reflected his own.
(c) That he was Matthews.
(d) That he was dangerous.
4. What did Elijah's servant claim to have seen at Elijah's home?
5. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
(a) He must become a street preacher.
(b) He must save his family from God's wrath.
(c) He must become like sinners.
(d) He must save prostitutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Sarah and Elijah marry?
2. When did Matthews knock on Elijah's door?
3. What did Elijah say he would do during Sarah's funeral?
4. What was perceived as the enemy by sects forming in the 1820's to the 1840's?
5. What was the name of the church at the center of Elijah's childhood town?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did God and Jesus promise to Elijah?
2. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
3. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
4. What happened at the end of June, 1830?
5. What happened to Matthews' family while they were in Albany?
6. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
7. What did Elijah do in 1820 and why was this significant?
8. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
9. Who did Elijah meet?
10. What was the Anti-Burgher Secession Church?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)