|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious upbringing did Elijah have?
2. What did Elijah do after quitting his job?
(a) Moved to Ecuador.
(b) Stayed in church for 32 days.
(c) Gave his money to the poor.
(d) Devoted himself to the ministry.
3. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
(a) She was wearing a feather on her hat.
(b) She spoke out of order.
(c) She was not married.
(d) She was eating in church.
4. What was the name of the sister church of the Retrenchment Society?
(a) The First Free Presbyterian of New York.
(b) The First Free Presbyterian of Albany.
(c) The Second Free Presbyterian of New York.
(d) The First Free Calvinist of New York.
5. What was the name of the church at the center of Elijah's childhood town?
(a) The Second Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Fourth Presbyterian Church.
(c) The First Presbyterian Church.
(d) The Third Presbyterian Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Sarah fall ill?
2. What name did Matthews use to introduce himself to Joseph Smith?
3. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
4. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
5. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
2. Who were the Finneyites and what did they denounce?
3. Why did Matthews resent Edward Kirk and Finneyites?
4. Who was Reverend Abraham Pierson and what was he instrumental?
5. Why was Matthews interred in an asylum for two weeks?
6. What mission did Elijah and Sarah undertake in "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
7. Who was Robert Matthews in "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
8. How did Matthias see the United States?
9. What did Elijah volunteer to become in 1819?
10. How did Joseph Smith feel about Matthias and what did he do after a sermon?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)