|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Matthews come to resent after his release from prison?
(c) Margaret and the Finneyites.
(d) Kirk and the Finneyites.
2. What did Matthews try to do to his coworkers?
(a) Proselytize them.
(b) Have them create their own religion.
(c) Have them leave New York.
(d) Have them fired.
3. When did Elijah and Sarah move to Bowery Hill to join a burgeoning perfectionist community?
4. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews was unreliable.
(b) Matthews was trouble.
(c) Matthews would be a bad influence
(d) Matthews was not a good leader.
5. What part of Calvinism did Kirk rail against?
(b) Free will.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the sister church of the Retrenchment Society?
2. Who did Matthews strike a cord with according to the "Prologue"?
3. What did Elijah's partners in the prostitute mission do after Sarah's death?
4. What church did Matthews attend as a child?
5. When did Sarah die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Charles and what did he tell anyone who would listen?
2. What happened to Matthews' family and Matthews in 1795?
3. Why was Benjamin oblivious to the courtship between Ann and Matthews?
4. What was not revealed during the testimonies for the prosecution?
5. What did God and Jesus promise to Elijah?
6. How did Matthews' life take a turn for the worse around 1816?
7. What did Matthews claim he became a victim of in "The Downfall, Parts 5 through 8"?
8. What was Prophet Matthias being tried for according to the "Prologue"?
9. Why did prosecutors abandon the fraud case against Matthews?
10. What was Kirtland and what did it predate?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)