|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did Matthews use to introduce himself to Joseph Smith?
2. What religious upbringing did Elijah have?
3. When did Elijah open a mercantile firm on Pearl Street?
4. What did Matthews open in Manhattan a year or two after moving with the carpenter?
(a) A shop as a tailor.
(b) A shop as a journeyman.
(c) A shop as a dentist.
(d) A shop as a lawyer.
5. When was Elijah born?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Elijah's servant?
2. What did the Retrenchment Society build according to "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
3. What did Elijah and Sarah Start to get prostitutes off the street?
4. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
5. When did Matthews marry Margaret?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Matthias see the United States?
2. Why did Matthias strike a chord with some Americans?
3. Why was Matthews' formal request to join Kirks' church denied?
4. What was the Anti-Burgher Secession Church?
5. What happened in Sarah's life in mid-June 1830?
6. In "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7," where did Kirk arrive in 1828 and what post was he dismissed from?
7. What did Matthews denounce?
8. Who was Isabella van Wagenen?
9. What did the Anti-Burgher Secession Church stress and de-emphasize?
10. How were the Calvinist social ranks exhibited?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)