|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the law cabinet hired to defend Matthews?
(a) Western and Hill.
(b) Kevin and Bavin.
(c) Walton and Western.
(d) Marks and Walton.
2. What did Elijah do when Matthews escaped to New York?
(a) He tried to kill himself.
(b) He declared himself Father of the Kingdom.
(c) He tried to take Ann as his wife.
(d) He tried to disoblige the Kingdom.
3. When did Elijah cut his allowance to Matthews?
(a) April 1833.
(b) April 1835.
(c) April 1831.
(d) April 1839.
4. Who calmed Benjamin into submission after a fight with Matthews?
5. Who did Benjamin marry after returning from meeting Margaret Matthews?
(a) Isabella Lamons.
(b) Isabella Laisdell.
(c) Catherine Galloway.
(d) Isabella Lismond.
6. On what did Matthew blame Elijah's death?
(b) His lack of submission.
(c) His lack of faith.
(d) A suicide.
7. How much was the yearly rent for Mount Zion which Matthews had to pay after Folger's ruin?
(a) 1 dollar a year.
(b) 1000 dollars a year.
(c) 10 dollars a year.
(d) 100 dollars a year.
8. Which of Elijah's beliefs did Matthews totally discard?
(b) Men being in charge.
(c) Sanctity of marriage.
9. What was forcibly cut from Matthews?
(a) His beard.
(b) His eyebrows.
(c) Hies clothes.
(d) His hands.
10. What conclusion did Isabella Van Wagenen draw about Ann Folger?
(a) She was a fraud.
(b) She was a saint.
(c) She deserved Matthews.
(d) She was a devil.
11. What did Matthews realize when he met Elijah for the first time according to "The Kingdom, Parts 1 through 3"?
(a) Elijah was stubborn.
(b) Elijah wanted to preach.
(c) Elijah was able to be influenced.
(d) Elijah was greedy.
12. What type of newspaper focused on crime and human interest rather that financial or political news?
(a) Quarter press.
(b) Dime press.
(c) Penny press.
(d) Nickel press.
13. What did Margaret announce to Matthews during the trial?
(a) She wanted a divorce.
(b) She was already remarried.
(c) She wanted him dead.
(d) She had an affair with Benjamin.
14. Who did the Folgers partner with to publish the cruelty Matthews inflicted on its followers?
(a) Williams and Lee.
(b) William Leete Stone.
(c) Lee and Stone.
(d) Stone Williams.
15. Who assigned the jobs to those who lived in Matthews' community?
(d) A lottery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Elijah depressed about?
2. What did Ann confess to Matthews about Benjamin?
3. What was clear after the prosecution rested their case?
4. How many children did Isabella Van Wagenen have?
5. What was Benjamin Folger trying to salvage after Matthews took over his estate?
This section contains 457 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)