|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote an account of the Kingdom with the help of Isabella Van Wagenen?
(a) Vale Simmons.
(b) Gilbert Vane.
(c) Vane Gils.
(d) Gilbert Vale.
2. What happened to Ann Folger during Matthews trial?
(a) She became a nun.
(b) She was killed.
(c) She gave birth to a baby girl.
(d) She fled to England.
3. Who did Isabella Van Wagenen sue for slander?
(a) The lawyers Matthews hired.
(b) The district attorney.
(c) The newspaper.
(d) Benjamin Folger.
4. Who was Matthews' servant after his release from the mental hospital?
(a) Isabella Van Wagenen.
(b) Isabella Laisdell.
(c) Ann Folger.
(d) Catherine Galloway.
5. Who became a successful merchant after his release?
(a) Benjamin Folger.
(b) Sylvester Mills.
(d) Sylvan Mills.
6. What did Matthews tell Elijah his prophet hood came from?
(a) God's own will.
(b) Elijah's own will.
(c) The devil.
(d) Matthews' own will.
7. When did Elijah cut his allowance to Matthews?
(a) April 1831.
(b) April 1833.
(c) April 1839.
(d) April 1835.
8. What did Matthews say about women and the truth?
(a) Women never tell the truth.
(b) Women never hear the truth.
(c) Women can't tell what truth is.
(d) Women distorted the truth.
9. Who did the Folgers partner with to publish the cruelty Matthews inflicted on its followers?
(a) Lee and Stone.
(b) William Leete Stone.
(c) Stone Williams.
(d) Williams and Lee.
10. What charges were added by the district attorney against Matthews before the murder trial?
(a) Blackmail charges for paying off Charles Laisdell.
(b) Assault charges for beating Isabella Laisdell.
(c) Bribery charges to recoup money for Elijah's heirs.
(d) Assault charges for coercing Benjamin Folger.
11. What name did God tell Isabella Van Wagenen to take?
(a) Maria Stewart.
(b) Harriet Tubman.
(c) Sojourner Truth.
(d) Isabella Matthews.
12. Who published an account of the Kingdom portraying the Folgers as the main villains?
(a) Catherine Galloway.
(b) Isabella Laisdell.
(c) Margaret Matthews.
(d) Robert Matthews.
13. What did Benjamin and Ann do to defend their reputations?
(a) They paid the newspaper to have an article.
(b) They wrote a book explaining their side of the story.
(c) They went to counseling.
(d) They claimed they were coerced.
14. Who was the district attorney in charge of Matthews' case?
(a) William Nelson.
(b) William Michaels.
(c) Nelson Michaels.
(d) Nelson Wills.
15. When did Elijah die?
(a) August 15, 1834.
(b) August 5, 1835.
(c) June 5, 1834.
(d) August 5, 1834.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Paul Johnson unable to find traces of?
2. Who followed Matthews to meet his estranged wife after Matthews was released from prison?
3. What did Matthews realize when he met Elijah for the first time according to "The Kingdom, Parts 1 through 3"?
4. What was Benjamin forced to do with his wife Ann?
5. Who calmed Benjamin into submission after a fight with Matthews?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)