|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Matthew's legal team able to do during the trial?
(a) Attack the prosecution in the paper.
(b) Tear the witnesses apart.
(c) Rebut every piece of evidence.
(d) Tear the prosecution apart.
2. How long of a sentence did Matthews receive for the assault charges?
(a) 2 months.
(b) 3 months.
(c) 1 month.
(d) 9 months.
3. What did Elijah do when Matthews escaped to New York?
(a) He tried to disoblige the Kingdom.
(b) He tried to kill himself.
(c) He tried to take Ann as his wife.
(d) He declared himself Father of the Kingdom.
4. What did Matthews drink from during dinner?
(a) A wooden cup.
(b) His copper cup.
(c) A glass cup.
(d) A silver chalice.
5. What did Matthews represent for many people reading the press?
(a) A dangerous man.
(b) A dangerous husband.
(c) A dangerous polygamist.
(d) A dangerous religious fanatic.
6. How did Elijah try to have Charles abandon his wife Isabella Laisdell?
(a) He offered him a job.
(b) He gave him money.
(c) He killed him.
(d) He beat him.
7. What did Isabella Van Wagenen think of Matthews teachings in retrospect?
(a) The most rational she heard.
(b) The most fanatical she heard.
(c) The most far fetched she heard.
(d) The most outrageous she heard.
8. What did Matthews ban because of his hatred of traditional Christianity?
9. Who testified for the prosecution?
(a) Catherine Golloway and Benjamin Folger.
(b) Isabella Van Wegenen and Catherine Galloway.
(c) Ann Folger and Catherine Galloway.
(d) Ann Folger and Benjamin Folger.
10. When did Ann become pregnant with Matthews' child?
(a) March 1835.
(b) March 1834.
(c) March 1831.
(d) March 1836.
11. What name did God tell Isabella Van Wagenen to take?
(a) Harriet Tubman.
(b) Isabella Matthews.
(c) Maria Stewart.
(d) Sojourner Truth.
12. When did Isabella Van Wagenen join Elijah's household?
13. Who did Matthews want to live with after being cut off by Elijah?
(a) Margaret Matthews.
(b) Isabella Laisdell.
(c) Catherine Galloway.
(d) Benjamin Folger.
14. What did Charles do to get his wife back?
(a) He went to the asylum.
(b) He went to a judge.
(c) He went to Margaret.
(d) He went to the police.
15. How long did John Dumont keep Isabella Van Wagenen?
(a) 12 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 9 years.
(d) 18 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who came to Mount Zion and conned Matthews into shaving his beard?
2. What happened to Ann Folger during Matthews trial?
3. What did Isabella Van Wagenen become convinced of about Matthews?
4. What charges were added by the district attorney against Matthews before the murder trial?
5. What did the letter from Isabella Laisdell to the judge say?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)