|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was clear after the prosecution rested their case?
(a) That Matthews would be convicted.
(b) That Matthews would not be convicted.
(c) That Matthews was guilty on all counts.
(d) That the jury was hung.
2. How did the prosecution say Matthews poisoned Elijah?
(a) By giving him tainted alcohol.
(b) By giving him blueberries.
(c) By replacing his medicine.
(d) By giving him tainted blackberries.
3. What was Benjamin forced to do with his wife Ann?
(a) Give her as a sacrifice.
(b) Give her to the community.
(c) Give their relationship another try.
(d) Give her to Matthews.
4. What happened to Ann Folger during Matthews trial?
(a) She was killed.
(b) She fled to England.
(c) She became a nun.
(d) She gave birth to a baby girl.
5. Who did Matthews meet at Kirtland?
(a) Joseph Smith.
(b) Elijah's son.
(c) His wife.
(d) Ann Folger.
6. What did Matthews realize when he met Elijah for the first time according to "The Kingdom, Parts 1 through 3"?
(a) Elijah was able to be influenced.
(b) Elijah was stubborn.
(c) Elijah was greedy.
(d) Elijah wanted to preach.
7. What was forcibly cut from Matthews?
(a) Hies clothes.
(b) His eyebrows.
(c) His beard.
(d) His hands.
8. Who did Eliah think told him to follow Matthews' every command?
(a) His father-in-law.
(c) St. Paul.
(d) God and Sarah.
9. What did the letter from Isabella Laisdell to the judge say?
(a) That she wanted her father prosecuted.
(b) That she wanted her father to forgive her.
(c) That she wanted a restraining order against her father.
(d) That she forgave her father for beating her.
10. How much was the yearly rent for Mount Zion which Matthews had to pay after Folger's ruin?
(a) 100 dollars a year.
(b) 10 dollars a year.
(c) 1 dollar a year.
(d) 1000 dollars a year.
11. Who testified for the prosecution?
(a) Ann Folger and Catherine Galloway.
(b) Ann Folger and Benjamin Folger.
(c) Isabella Van Wegenen and Catherine Galloway.
(d) Catherine Golloway and Benjamin Folger.
12. What did the coroner that examined Elijah conclude?
(a) He died of a stroke.
(b) He died of natural causes.
(c) He died of an embolism.
(d) He died of heart failure.
13. What movement did Isabella Van Wagenen join in New England?
(a) The abolitionist.
(b) The anti-abortionist.
(c) The prohibitionist.
(d) The suffrage movement.
14. What did Isabella Van Wagenen become convinced of about Matthews?
(a) Of his sainthood.
(b) Of his teachings.
(c) Of his desire.
(d) Of his prophethood.
15. How long of a sentence did Matthews receive for the assault charges?
(a) 3 months.
(b) 2 months.
(c) 9 months.
(d) 1 month.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who became a successful merchant after his release?
2. What charges were added by the district attorney against Matthews before the murder trial?
3. How did Elijah try to have Charles abandon his wife Isabella Laisdell?
4. Who was able to obtain a warrant for Matthews' arrest?
5. Who did Matthews take residence with after meeting Elijah?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)