|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Isabella Van Wagenen born to?
(b) Shop keepers.
(c) Plantation owners.
2. What did the coroner that examined Elijah conclude?
(a) He died of natural causes.
(b) He died of a stroke.
(c) He died of an embolism.
(d) He died of heart failure.
3. What was Benjamin forced to do with his wife Ann?
(a) Give her to Matthews.
(b) Give their relationship another try.
(c) Give her to the community.
(d) Give her as a sacrifice.
4. Why was the press outraged by the verdict against Matthews according to the "Epilogue"?
(a) It was too light.
(b) It was not needed.
(c) It was too hard.
(d) No-one was outraged.
5. What did Matthews realize when he met Elijah for the first time according to "The Kingdom, Parts 1 through 3"?
(a) Elijah was greedy.
(b) Elijah was stubborn.
(c) Elijah was able to be influenced.
(d) Elijah wanted to preach.
6. What was Benjamin Folger trying to salvage after Matthews took over his estate?
(a) His old church.
(b) His friendship with Elijah.
(c) His and Elijah's business and reputations.
(d) His marriage.
7. When did Isabella Van Wagenen start to work for James Latourette?
8. What did Matthews say about women and the truth?
(a) Women never tell the truth.
(b) Women can't tell what truth is.
(c) Women distorted the truth.
(d) Women never hear the truth.
9. What did Margaret announce to Matthews during the trial?
(a) She was already remarried.
(b) She wanted him dead.
(c) She wanted a divorce.
(d) She had an affair with Benjamin.
10. What did Benjamin Folger realize after a trip to New York?
(a) His wife was an infidel.
(b) Matthews was a fraud.
(c) Matthews was Jesus.
(d) He was poor.
11. Who did Matthews meet at Kirtland?
(a) Ann Folger.
(b) Elijah's son.
(c) Joseph Smith.
(d) His wife.
12. What did Isabella Van Wagenen do when Matthews left New York?
(a) She started a church.
(b) She went into hiding.
(c) She went south.
(d) She stayed behind.
13. What did Elijah do when Matthews escaped to New York?
(a) He tried to kill himself.
(b) He tried to take Ann as his wife.
(c) He declared himself Father of the Kingdom.
(d) He tried to disoblige the Kingdom.
14. Who was the district attorney in charge of Matthews' case?
(a) Nelson Wills.
(b) Nelson Michaels.
(c) William Michaels.
(d) William Nelson.
15. Who came to Mount Zion and conned Matthews into shaving his beard?
(a) Taylor Michaels
(b) Sampson Els.
(c) Elephant Taylor.
(d) Tiger Taylor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who published an account of the Kingdom portraying the Folgers as the main villains?
2. Who did Eliah think told him to follow Matthews' every command?
3. What charges were added by the district attorney against Matthews before the murder trial?
4. What did Matthews represent for many people reading the press?
5. What did Matthews ban because of his hatred of traditional Christianity?
This section contains 487 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)