|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elijah do when Matthews escaped to New York?
(a) He declared himself Father of the Kingdom.
(b) He tried to disoblige the Kingdom.
(c) He tried to kill himself.
(d) He tried to take Ann as his wife.
2. What vision did Matthews have about Ann Folger?
(a) He saw her as the Mother of the Kingdom.
(b) He saw her as a saint.
(c) He saw her as a sister.
(d) He saw her as the next prophet.
3. Who was Isabella Van Wagenen born to?
(c) Shop keepers.
(d) Plantation owners.
4. What did the letter from Isabella Laisdell to the judge say?
(a) That she wanted a restraining order against her father.
(b) That she wanted her father prosecuted.
(c) That she forgave her father for beating her.
(d) That she wanted her father to forgive her.
5. What was Matthew's legal team able to do during the trial?
(a) Tear the witnesses apart.
(b) Rebut every piece of evidence.
(c) Tear the prosecution apart.
(d) Attack the prosecution in the paper.
6. Who was welcomed back by an old church after Matthews' trial?
(a) Catherine Galloway.
(b) Benjamin and Ann Folger.
(c) Sylvester Mills.
(d) Margaret Matthews.
7. Which of Elijah's beliefs did Matthews totally discard?
(b) Sanctity of marriage.
(d) Men being in charge.
8. Who became cozy with Matthews in Mount Zion?
(a) Ann Folger.
(b) Isabella Laisdell.
(c) Isabella Van Wagenen.
(d) Catherine Galloway.
9. What was the name of the law cabinet hired to defend Matthews?
(a) Walton and Western.
(b) Western and Hill.
(c) Marks and Walton.
(d) Kevin and Bavin.
10. Who followed Matthews to meet his estranged wife after Matthews was released from prison?
(a) Isabella Van Wagenen.
(b) Isabella Laisdell.
(c) Catherine Galloway.
(d) Matthews went alone.
11. What type of newspaper focused on crime and human interest rather that financial or political news?
(a) Penny press.
(b) Quarter press.
(c) Dime press.
(d) Nickel press.
12. Who was the district attorney in charge of Matthews' case?
(a) Nelson Michaels.
(b) William Michaels.
(c) William Nelson.
(d) Nelson Wills.
13. Who helped Matthews hire a competent law team?
(d) Elijah's heir.
14. When did Isabella Van Wagenen join Elijah's household?
15. What did Isabella Van Wagenen do when Matthews left New York?
(a) She went south.
(b) She went into hiding.
(c) She started a church.
(d) She stayed behind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion did Isabella Van Wagenen draw about Ann Folger?
2. What did Benjamin Folger realize after a trip to New York?
3. Why was the press outraged by the verdict against Matthews according to the "Epilogue"?
4. Who did Matthews meet at Kirtland?
5. What charges were added by the district attorney against Matthews before the murder trial?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)