|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Sarah and Elijah marry?
2. What was the name of Matthews' brother, the painter?
(a) J.K. Mathis.
(b) J.L.D Mathies.
(c) J.M.D. Matthews.
(d) J.K.D. Mathas.
3. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
4. What religious upbringing did Elijah have?
5. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
(a) She was not married.
(b) She was wearing a feather on her hat.
(c) She spoke out of order.
(d) She was eating in church.
6. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
(a) Having men be subservient.
(b) Greater equality.
(c) Having women be subservient.
(d) Having men in charge of religion and women in charge of the household.
7. When did Elijah join the Spring's Brick Presbyterian Church?
8. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
(b) The plague.
(d) Small pox.
9. How did Matthews' coworkers deem him?
(a) Jumping Jesus.
(b) Crazy Jesus.
(c) God whisperer.
(d) Jumping Horse.
10. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
(a) Five Points.
(b) Six Points.
(c) Three Points.
(d) Two Points.
11. What did Kirtland predate?
(b) New York.
12. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews was trouble.
(b) Matthews would be a bad influence
(c) Matthews was unreliable.
(d) Matthews was not a good leader.
13. What did Elijah hear God call him?
(a) Jesus reincarnate.
(b) Saint Elijah.
(c) Prophet Elijah of Tishbe.
(d) Prophet Elijah of New york.
14. Who refused to talk to Elijah after Sarah's death?
(b) His father in law.
(c) His brother, Martin.
15. When did Elijah and Sarah move to Bowery Hill to join a burgeoning perfectionist community?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Matthews do after failing to convince his wife to follow him?
2. Why was Matthews released after being arrested for domestic abuse?
3. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
4. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
5. What did Elijah's partners in the prostitute mission do after Sarah's death?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)