|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
(a) Five Points.
(b) Three Points.
(c) Six Points.
(d) Two Points.
2. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
(a) Reverend Mac Leod.
(b) Reverend Mr. Beveridge.
(c) Reverend Smith.
(d) Reverend Mc Kulen.
3. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
(a) They were unknown.
(b) They were both murderers.
(c) They both spent time in prison.
(d) They were equally notorious.
4. When did Kirk arrive in Albany according to "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7"?
5. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
(a) A good father.
(b) A businessman.
(c) A zealot.
(d) A religious reformer.
6. What prompted Albany's commercial revolution when Matthews tried his luck there?
(a) The mercantile.
(b) The new Erie Canal.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) The new Albany.
7. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
(a) The Pentecostal Church.
(b) The African Methodist Church.
(c) The Mormon Church.
(d) The Baptist Church.
8. What type of evangelical person was Elijah?
(a) A Unionist.
(b) A Finneyite.
(c) A Mormon.
(d) A Catholic.
9. What was perceived as the enemy by sects forming in the 1820's to the 1840's?
(a) The Atheists.
(b) The Government.
(c) The Yankee middle class.
10. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement think of the Calvinist family structure?
(a) It was supportive of slavery.
(b) It was good for women.
(c) It was equitable.
(d) It was oppressive to women.
11. Who refused to talk to Elijah after Sarah's death?
(a) His father in law.
(c) His brother, Martin.
12. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
(a) She was not married.
(b) She spoke out of order.
(c) She was eating in church.
(d) She was wearing a feather on her hat.
13. What name did Matthews use to introduce himself to Joseph Smith?
14. What did Elijah think God would do for him if he continued to spread the Gospel?
(a) Return Sarah to him.
(b) Give him power over the United States.
(c) Make him king of the world.
(d) Make him forget Sarah.
15. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
(a) St. Andrew's Church.
(b) Notre Dame Church.
(c) St. Michael's Church.
(d) North Dutch Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Sarah die?
2. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
3. What mission did Kirk set for himself after rejecting Matthews's request to join his church?
4. What did Kirtland predate?
5. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)