|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Elijah leave his childhood town?
(a) Train as a physician.
(b) Train as a banker.
(c) Train as a clerk.
(d) Train as a journalist.
2. What name did Matthews choose for himself after abandoning his family?
3. When did Elijah open a mercantile firm on Pearl Street?
4. What did Kirtland predate?
(c) New York.
5. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
(a) Six Points.
(b) Three Points.
(c) Five Points.
(d) Two Points.
6. What was the period from 1820 to 1840 called?
(a) The Second Great Awakening.
(b) The Evangelist's Time.
(c) The Second Coming.
(d) The Long Time.
7. What name did Matthews use to introduce himself to Joseph Smith?
8. What part of Calvinism did Kirk rail against?
(b) Free will.
9. How long did Elijah pray at Sarah's funeral?
(a) 6 hour.
(b) 12 hour.
(c) 1 hour.
(d) 2 hour.
10. How many of his sons did Matthews lose to illness between 1816 and 1819?
11. What did Elijah's partners in the prostitute mission do after Sarah's death?
(a) They took the ex-prostitute and left.
(b) Give him sole control.
(c) They asked to buy the mission from him.
(d) They blocked his access to the mission.
12. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
(a) "His mind was evidently filled with darkness."
(b) "He would be a good leader."
(c) "His way was the only way."
(d) "He couldn't control himself."
13. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
(a) St. Andrew's Church.
(b) North Dutch Church.
(c) Notre Dame Church.
(d) St. Michael's Church.
14. What did Sarah's death spark in Elijah?
(a) His death wish.
(b) His madness.
(c) A business idea.
(d) His love of Christ.
15. What type of evangelical person was Elijah?
(a) A Catholic.
(b) A Finneyite.
(c) A Unionist.
(d) A Mormon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Matthews going at the start of the "Prologue"?
2. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
3. When did Matthews leave the farm to live with a carpenter?
4. Who refused to talk to Elijah after Sarah's death?
5. What did Matthews and Joseph Smith advocate for society?
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)