|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What religious upbringing did Elijah have?
2. When did Matthews marry Margaret?
3. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews was trouble.
(b) Matthews was unreliable.
(c) Matthews would be a bad influence
(d) Matthews was not a good leader.
4. What name did Matthews choose for himself after abandoning his family?
5. When did Sarah die?
(a) May 29, 1830.
(b) June 29, 1830.
(c) June 2, 1830.
(d) June 29, 1832.
6. When did Sarah and Elijah marry?
7. When did Kirk arrive in Albany according to "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7"?
8. When did Sarah fall ill?
(a) June 1832.
(b) June 1830.
(c) June 1829.
(d) May 1830.
9. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
(a) The Mormon Church.
(b) The Pentecostal Church.
(c) The African Methodist Church.
(d) The Baptist Church.
10. Why did Elijah leave his childhood town?
(a) Train as a clerk.
(b) Train as a physician.
(c) Train as a banker.
(d) Train as a journalist.
11. What did Matthews say the United States was in his eyes?
(a) The second Gomorrah.
(b) The second Babel.
(c) The second Babylon.
(d) The second Sodom.
12. When did Matthews try to enlarged the store he worked at?
13. What prompted Albany's commercial revolution when Matthews tried his luck there?
(a) The mercantile.
(b) The new Albany.
(c) The Statue of Liberty.
(d) The new Erie Canal.
14. What did Joseph Smith tell Matthews when they first met?
(a) That progressivism was evil.
(b) Smith told Matthews of his visions.
(c) That he knew who he was.
(d) That he wanted to found a new state.
15. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
(a) A good father.
(b) A zealot.
(c) A businessman.
(d) A religious reformer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Elijah's wife's name?
2. What did Elijah think God would do for him if he continued to spread the Gospel?
3. When did Elijah open a mercantile firm on Pearl Street?
4. What did Sarah's death spark in Elijah?
5. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)