|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elijah think his purpose was after hearing God's voice?
(a) To follow Matthews.
(b) To give his wealth to the Church.
(c) To create a new country.
(d) Prepare the world for the Second Coming.
2. Who sat in the front of a Calvinist church in the early 1800's?
(b) The poor.
(c) Those who donated the most.
(d) The merchants.
3. What did Matthews do after abandoning his family?
(a) He went to the asylum.
(b) He went to Utah.
(c) He went to western New York State.
(d) He went to Kirtland.
4. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
(b) Nova Scot.
5. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
(a) They both spent time in prison.
(b) They were unknown.
(c) They were both murderers.
(d) They were equally notorious.
6. When did Elijah and Sarah move to Bowery Hill to join a burgeoning perfectionist community?
7. What Jew influenced Matthews after he returned to New York?
(a) Rabbi Adelstine.
(b) Mordecai Aaronson.
(c) Mordecai Maidanik.
(d) Mordecai Manuel Noah.
8. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
(a) She spoke out of order.
(b) She was wearing a feather on her hat.
(c) She was eating in church.
(d) She was not married.
9. What prompted Albany's commercial revolution when Matthews tried his luck there?
(a) The mercantile.
(b) The new Erie Canal.
(c) The new Albany.
(d) The Statue of Liberty.
10. When did Kirk arrive in Albany according to "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7"?
11. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews was not a good leader.
(b) Matthews would be a bad influence
(c) Matthews was trouble.
(d) Matthews was unreliable.
12. When did Sarah and Elijah marry?
13. What type of evangelical person was Elijah?
(a) A Mormon.
(b) A Catholic.
(c) A Finneyite.
(d) A Unionist.
14. What did Elijah hear God call him?
(a) Saint Elijah.
(b) Jesus reincarnate.
(c) Prophet Elijah of Tishbe.
(d) Prophet Elijah of New york.
15. What did Kirtland predate?
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
2. What mission did Kirk set for himself after rejecting Matthews's request to join his church?
3. What was the name of Matthews' brother, the painter?
4. What was the name of the sister church of the Retrenchment Society?
5. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)