|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elijah think God would do for him if he continued to spread the Gospel?
(a) Give him power over the United States.
(b) Make him king of the world.
(c) Make him forget Sarah.
(d) Return Sarah to him.
2. What did Elijah hear God call him?
(a) Jesus reincarnate.
(b) Saint Elijah.
(c) Prophet Elijah of Tishbe.
(d) Prophet Elijah of New york.
3. What part of Calvinism did Kirk rail against?
(c) Free will.
4. What was the name of the church at the center of Elijah's childhood town?
(a) The Third Presbyterian Church.
(b) The First Presbyterian Church.
(c) The Second Presbyterian Church.
(d) The Fourth Presbyterian Church.
5. Who became the center of moral instruction and domestic authority in Elijah's movement?
6. Who did Elijah open a mercantile store with?
(a) John Steinbrenner.
(b) Benjamin Globle.
(c) Martha Kirk.
(d) Robert Matthews.
7. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
(a) Greater equality.
(b) Having men be subservient.
(c) Having women be subservient.
(d) Having men in charge of religion and women in charge of the household.
8. What did Elijah say he would do during Sarah's funeral?
(a) Make her disappear.
(b) Raise her from the dead.
(c) Make her smile.
(d) Bury her himself.
9. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
10. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
(a) Reverend Mc Kulen.
(b) Reverend Mac Leod.
(c) Reverend Mr. Beveridge.
(d) Reverend Smith.
11. What did Matthews say the United States was in his eyes?
(a) The second Babel.
(b) The second Babylon.
(c) The second Sodom.
(d) The second Gomorrah.
12. What was Sarah's maiden name?
13. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
(a) Three Points.
(b) Five Points.
(c) Six Points.
(d) Two Points.
14. Where was Matthews going at the start of the "Prologue"?
(b) Washington, D.C.
(c) A Mormon settlement.
(d) New York City.
15. When did Kirk arrive in Albany according to "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What prompted Albany's commercial revolution when Matthews tried his luck there?
2. What congregation did Kirk work at when he first arrived in Albany?
3. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
4. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
5. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)