|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
(c) Nova Scot.
2. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
3. What type of evangelical person was Elijah?
(a) A Unionist.
(b) A Finneyite.
(c) A Catholic.
(d) A Mormon.
4. What did Elijah and Sarah Start to get prostitutes off the street?
(a) The Female Assistance Society.
(b) The Second Chance Society.
(c) The Female Safe House.
(d) The Female Asylum Society.
5. What did Elijah think God would do for him if he continued to spread the Gospel?
(a) Give him power over the United States.
(b) Make him forget Sarah.
(c) Return Sarah to him.
(d) Make him king of the world.
6. Who did Matthews come to resent after his release from prison?
(b) Margaret and the Finneyites.
(c) Kirk and the Finneyites.
7. What did Elijah say he would do during Sarah's funeral?
(a) Make her disappear.
(b) Make her smile.
(c) Bury her himself.
(d) Raise her from the dead.
8. How long did Elijah pray at Sarah's funeral?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 2 hour.
(c) 12 hour.
(d) 6 hour.
9. How did Matthews' coworkers deem him?
(a) Jumping Horse.
(b) Jumping Jesus.
(c) God whisperer.
(d) Crazy Jesus.
10. What did Joseph Smith found?
11. What part of Calvinism did Kirk rail against?
(b) Free will.
12. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
(a) "He would be a good leader."
(b) "He couldn't control himself."
(c) "His mind was evidently filled with darkness."
(d) "His way was the only way."
13. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
(a) Six Points.
(b) Three Points.
(c) Two Points.
(d) Five Points.
14. Who did the Scot church stress led the family?
(a) The elders.
15. Who personified the middle class' evangelical reformists of the 1820's and 1840's?
(a) Elijah Smith.
(b) Martin Luther.
(c) James Kirk.
(d) Charles Grandison Finney.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Elijah and Sarah move to Bowery Hill to join a burgeoning perfectionist community?
2. What was Sarah's maiden name?
3. When did Matthews marry Margaret?
4. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
5. What mission did Kirk set for himself after rejecting Matthews's request to join his church?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)