|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Kirtland predate?
(a) New York.
2. What did Elijah say he would do during Sarah's funeral?
(a) Bury her himself.
(b) Raise her from the dead.
(c) Make her disappear.
(d) Make her smile.
3. What did Smith know about Joshua after their first meeting?
(a) That he was Matthews.
(b) That his beliefs reflected his own.
(c) That he was dangerous.
(d) That he wanted him to stay.
4. What was the name of the church at the center of Elijah's childhood town?
(a) The Fourth Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Second Presbyterian Church.
(c) The Third Presbyterian Church.
(d) The First Presbyterian Church.
5. Who did Matthews come to resent after his release from prison?
(b) Margaret and the Finneyites.
(c) Kirk and the Finneyites.
6. What was perceived as the enemy by sects forming in the 1820's to the 1840's?
(a) The Yankee middle class.
(b) The Government.
(c) The Atheists.
7. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews was trouble.
(b) Matthews was not a good leader.
(c) Matthews was unreliable.
(d) Matthews would be a bad influence
8. When did Matthews knock on Elijah's door?
(a) May 5, 1832.
(b) June 5, 1832.
(c) May 15, 1832.
(d) May 5, 1833.
9. What did Matthews say the United States was in his eyes?
(a) The second Sodom.
(b) The second Babel.
(c) The second Gomorrah.
(d) The second Babylon.
10. What did Joseph Smith found?
11. When did Elijah and Sarah move to Bowery Hill to join a burgeoning perfectionist community?
12. What was the name of the sister church of the Retrenchment Society?
(a) The First Free Calvinist of New York.
(b) The First Free Presbyterian of Albany.
(c) The Second Free Presbyterian of New York.
(d) The First Free Presbyterian of New York.
13. When did Sarah die?
(a) June 29, 1832.
(b) June 29, 1830.
(c) June 2, 1830.
(d) May 29, 1830.
14. What was the period from 1820 to 1840 called?
(a) The Evangelist's Time.
(b) The Long Time.
(c) The Second Great Awakening.
(d) The Second Coming.
15. What name did Matthews choose for himself after abandoning his family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Matthews released after being arrested for domestic abuse?
2. What did Elijah and Sarah Start to get prostitutes off the street?
3. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
4. Who sat in the front of a Calvinist church in the early 1800's?
5. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)