|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Matthews marry Margaret?
2. What congregation did Kirk work at when he first arrived in Albany?
(a) Sixth Presbyterian Church.
(b) Second Presbyterian Church.
(c) First Presbyterian Church.
(d) Third Presbyterian Church.
3. What did Matthews do after abandoning his family?
(a) He went to western New York State.
(b) He went to Utah.
(c) He went to the asylum.
(d) He went to Kirtland.
4. What does the "Prologue" state about those who opposed the middle class' evangelical reformist movement?
(a) They were rich.
(b) They were in power.
(c) They were dangerous.
(d) They were poor and less educated.
5. Who did the Scot church stress led the family?
(b) The elders.
6. What did Smith know about Joshua after their first meeting?
(a) That his beliefs reflected his own.
(b) That he was Matthews.
(c) That he was dangerous.
(d) That he wanted him to stay.
7. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
(a) "His way was the only way."
(b) "His mind was evidently filled with darkness."
(c) "He would be a good leader."
(d) "He couldn't control himself."
8. How long did Elijah pray at Sarah's funeral?
(a) 2 hour.
(b) 6 hour.
(c) 1 hour.
(d) 12 hour.
9. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
(a) Reverend Smith.
(b) Reverend Mr. Beveridge.
(c) Reverend Mac Leod.
(d) Reverend Mc Kulen.
10. What was the name of Elijah's servant?
11. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
(a) The plague.
(b) Small pox.
12. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
(a) The Pentecostal Church.
(b) The Mormon Church.
(c) The Baptist Church.
(d) The African Methodist Church.
13. Who refused to talk to Elijah after Sarah's death?
(b) His father in law.
(c) His brother, Martin.
14. When was Elijah born?
15. Who claimed to have spoken to God since childhood?
(a) Ann Goll.
(c) Margaret Matthews.
(d) Isabella Van Wagenen.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elijah and Sarah Start to get prostitutes off the street?
2. What did Sarah's death spark in Elijah?
3. What was Sarah's maiden name?
4. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
5. What did Elijah's servant claim to have seen at Elijah's home?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)