|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
(a) She was not married.
(b) She was eating in church.
(c) She was wearing a feather on her hat.
(d) She spoke out of order.
2. What did the Retrenchment Society build according to "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
(a) A clinic for the poor.
(b) A hotel.
(c) A church for the slaves.
(d) Schools for poor children.
3. What did Matthews do after failing to convince his wife to follow him?
(a) He took his 3 sons.
(b) He held her hostage.
(c) He took his daughter.
(d) He went to a hospital.
4. What Jew influenced Matthews after he returned to New York?
(a) Mordecai Maidanik.
(b) Rabbi Adelstine.
(c) Mordecai Aaronson.
(d) Mordecai Manuel Noah.
5. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
(a) The Pentecostal Church.
(b) The Baptist Church.
(c) The African Methodist Church.
(d) The Mormon Church.
6. What did Matthews do after abandoning his family?
(a) He went to Utah.
(b) He went to western New York State.
(c) He went to Kirtland.
(d) He went to the asylum.
7. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
(a) He was given a promotion.
(b) He was fired.
(c) He was relocated.
(d) He was given his own church.
8. What was the name of the sister church of the Retrenchment Society?
(a) The First Free Presbyterian of Albany.
(b) The First Free Presbyterian of New York.
(c) The First Free Calvinist of New York.
(d) The Second Free Presbyterian of New York.
9. What was the name of Elijah's servant?
10. When did Elijah join the Spring's Brick Presbyterian Church?
11. What religious upbringing did Elijah have?
12. What did Elijah think God would do for him if he continued to spread the Gospel?
(a) Make him forget Sarah.
(b) Return Sarah to him.
(c) Make him king of the world.
(d) Give him power over the United States.
13. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
(b) The plague.
(c) Small pox.
14. What did Smith know about Joshua after their first meeting?
(a) That he was Matthews.
(b) That his beliefs reflected his own.
(c) That he was dangerous.
(d) That he wanted him to stay.
15. What movement was Elijah involved with before joining Matthias?
(a) The First Congregational church.
(b) The Free Church movement.
(c) The First Church movement.
(d) The Truth Church movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Sarah die?
2. When did Sarah and Elijah marry?
3. What was the period from 1820 to 1840 called?
4. What name did Matthews choose for himself after abandoning his family?
5. What did Joseph Smith found?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)