|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Robert Matthews born according to "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
2. What church did Matthews attend as a child?
(a) The Burgher Anti-Secession Temple.
(b) The first Scot Church.
(c) The Anti-Burgher Secession Church.
(d) The Burgher Secession Church.
3. What did Matthews open in Manhattan a year or two after moving with the carpenter?
(a) A shop as a tailor.
(b) A shop as a journeyman.
(c) A shop as a lawyer.
(d) A shop as a dentist.
4. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
(a) "He couldn't control himself."
(b) "His way was the only way."
(c) "His mind was evidently filled with darkness."
(d) "He would be a good leader."
5. What did Elijah hear God call him?
(a) Prophet Elijah of New york.
(b) Jesus reincarnate.
(c) Prophet Elijah of Tishbe.
(d) Saint Elijah.
6. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
7. What does the "Prologue" state about those who opposed the middle class' evangelical reformist movement?
(a) They were in power.
(b) They were rich.
(c) They were poor and less educated.
(d) They were dangerous.
8. When did Matthews knock on Elijah's door?
(a) May 5, 1832.
(b) June 5, 1832.
(c) May 15, 1832.
(d) May 5, 1833.
9. What did Elijah do after quitting his job?
(a) Devoted himself to the ministry.
(b) Moved to Ecuador.
(c) Gave his money to the poor.
(d) Stayed in church for 32 days.
10. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
(a) She spoke out of order.
(b) She was not married.
(c) She was eating in church.
(d) She was wearing a feather on her hat.
11. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
(c) Small pox.
(d) The plague.
12. What did Matthews do after failing to convince his wife to follow him?
(a) He went to a hospital.
(b) He took his 3 sons.
(c) He held her hostage.
(d) He took his daughter.
13. Why did Elijah leave his childhood town?
(a) Train as a clerk.
(b) Train as a physician.
(c) Train as a banker.
(d) Train as a journalist.
14. What was perceived as the enemy by sects forming in the 1820's to the 1840's?
(a) The Yankee middle class.
(c) The Atheists.
(d) The Government.
15. Who personified the middle class' evangelical reformists of the 1820's and 1840's?
(a) James Kirk.
(b) Elijah Smith.
(c) Martin Luther.
(d) Charles Grandison Finney.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sarah's maiden name?
2. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
3. What was the name of Elijah's servant?
4. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
5. When did Elijah join the Spring's Brick Presbyterian Church?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)