|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name did Matthews use to introduce himself to Joseph Smith?
2. When did Sarah die?
(a) May 29, 1830.
(b) June 2, 1830.
(c) June 29, 1832.
(d) June 29, 1830.
3. How many of his sons did Matthews lose to illness between 1816 and 1819?
4. What was the period from 1820 to 1840 called?
(a) The Second Great Awakening.
(b) The Evangelist's Time.
(c) The Long Time.
(d) The Second Coming.
5. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
(a) He was given a promotion.
(b) He was given his own church.
(c) He was relocated.
(d) He was fired.
6. What did Matthews do after abandoning his family?
(a) He went to western New York State.
(b) He went to the asylum.
(c) He went to Kirtland.
(d) He went to Utah.
7. How did Matthews' coworkers deem him?
(a) Jumping Jesus.
(b) Crazy Jesus.
(c) Jumping Horse.
(d) God whisperer.
8. When was Robert Matthews born according to "Robert Matthews, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
9. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
(a) A businessman.
(b) A zealot.
(c) A good father.
(d) A religious reformer.
10. What does the "Prologue" state about those who opposed the middle class' evangelical reformist movement?
(a) They were poor and less educated.
(b) They were dangerous.
(c) They were in power.
(d) They were rich.
11. Why was Matthews released after being arrested for domestic abuse?
(a) Good behavior.
(b) Lack of testimony.
(c) It was not illegal.
(d) Lack of evidence.
12. When did Matthews stop shaving?
13. When did Matthews abandon his family?
14. Where was Matthews going at the start of the "Prologue"?
(a) A Mormon settlement.
(b) New York City.
(c) Washington, D.C.
15. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
(a) Greater equality.
(b) Having women be subservient.
(c) Having men in charge of religion and women in charge of the household.
(d) Having men be subservient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement think of the Calvinist family structure?
2. What part of Calvinism did Kirk rail against?
3. What was the name of Matthews' brother, the painter?
4. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
5. When did Matthews beat a woman according to historical evidences?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)