|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Elijah open a mercantile firm on Pearl Street?
2. What religious upbringing did Elijah have?
3. What did Matthews say the United States was in his eyes?
(a) The second Babylon.
(b) The second Gomorrah.
(c) The second Sodom.
(d) The second Babel.
4. Who invited Kirk to Albany?
(a) Reverend James Chester.
(b) Reverend John Corso.
(c) Reverend Jim Johnson.
(d) Reverend Michael Jensen.
5. When did Matthews stop shaving?
6. Who personified the middle class' evangelical reformists of the 1820's and 1840's?
(a) James Kirk.
(b) Elijah Smith.
(c) Charles Grandison Finney.
(d) Martin Luther.
7. When did Kirk arrive in Albany according to "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7"?
8. What did Smith say of Matthews after their first meeting?
(a) "His mind was evidently filled with darkness."
(b) "He would be a good leader."
(c) "His way was the only way."
(d) "He couldn't control himself."
9. What was the name of the sister church of the Retrenchment Society?
(a) The First Free Calvinist of New York.
(b) The First Free Presbyterian of New York.
(c) The Second Free Presbyterian of New York.
(d) The First Free Presbyterian of Albany.
10. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement think of the Calvinist family structure?
(a) It was equitable.
(b) It was supportive of slavery.
(c) It was oppressive to women.
(d) It was good for women.
11. What did Matthews try to do to his coworkers?
(a) Have them fired.
(b) Have them leave New York.
(c) Proselytize them.
(d) Have them create their own religion.
12. What church did Matthews attend as a child?
(a) The first Scot Church.
(b) The Burgher Secession Church.
(c) The Anti-Burgher Secession Church.
(d) The Burgher Anti-Secession Temple.
13. When did Elijah and Sarah move to Bowery Hill to join a burgeoning perfectionist community?
14. What does the "Prologue" state about those who opposed the middle class' evangelical reformist movement?
(a) They were poor and less educated.
(b) They were rich.
(c) They were in power.
(d) They were dangerous.
15. When did Matthews leave the farm to live with a carpenter?
Short Answer Questions
1. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
2. What was the name of Matthews' brother, the painter?
3. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
4. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
5. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)