|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the church at the center of Elijah's childhood town?
(a) The Fourth Presbyterian Church.
(b) The Second Presbyterian Church.
(c) The First Presbyterian Church.
(d) The Third Presbyterian Church.
2. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
(a) Reverend Mac Leod.
(b) Reverend Smith.
(c) Reverend Mc Kulen.
(d) Reverend Mr. Beveridge.
3. What was the period from 1820 to 1840 called?
(a) The Second Great Awakening.
(b) The Second Coming.
(c) The Evangelist's Time.
(d) The Long Time.
4. What was Elijah's wife's name?
5. What church did Matthews attend as a child?
(a) The Burgher Anti-Secession Temple.
(b) The first Scot Church.
(c) The Burgher Secession Church.
(d) The Anti-Burgher Secession Church.
6. When did Sarah and Elijah marry?
7. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
(a) Greater equality.
(b) Having women be subservient.
(c) Having men in charge of religion and women in charge of the household.
(d) Having men be subservient.
8. What did Matthews try to do to his coworkers?
(a) Have them fired.
(b) Have them leave New York.
(c) Have them create their own religion.
(d) Proselytize them.
9. When did Elijah open a mercantile firm on Pearl Street?
10. What did Kirtland predate?
(b) New York.
11. Who invited Kirk to Albany?
(a) Reverend James Chester.
(b) Reverend Jim Johnson.
(c) Reverend Michael Jensen.
(d) Reverend John Corso.
12. What did the Retrenchment Society build according to "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
(a) A hotel.
(b) Schools for poor children.
(c) A church for the slaves.
(d) A clinic for the poor.
13. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
(a) He must become like sinners.
(b) He must save his family from God's wrath.
(c) He must save prostitutes.
(d) He must become a street preacher.
14. What type of evangelical person was Elijah?
(a) A Catholic.
(b) A Finneyite.
(c) A Unionist.
(d) A Mormon.
15. Who became the center of moral instruction and domestic authority in Elijah's movement?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was perceived as the enemy by sects forming in the 1820's to the 1840's?
2. Why did Elijah leave his childhood town?
3. Why did Frances Folger scold a fellow church member?
4. What did Smith know about Joshua after their first meeting?
5. What did Elijah say he would do during Sarah's funeral?
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)