|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Matthews knock on Elijah's door?
(a) May 15, 1832.
(b) May 5, 1832.
(c) May 5, 1833.
(d) June 5, 1832.
2. Why did Elijah leave his childhood town?
(a) Train as a journalist.
(b) Train as a clerk.
(c) Train as a physician.
(d) Train as a banker.
3. When was Elijah born?
4. What movement was Elijah involved with before joining Matthias?
(a) The Truth Church movement.
(b) The First Congregational church.
(c) The First Church movement.
(d) The Free Church movement.
5. When did Elijah open a mercantile firm on Pearl Street?
6. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
(a) He must save prostitutes.
(b) He must become a street preacher.
(c) He must save his family from God's wrath.
(d) He must become like sinners.
7. Who did the Scot church stress led the family?
(b) The elders.
8. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews would be a bad influence
(b) Matthews was not a good leader.
(c) Matthews was trouble.
(d) Matthews was unreliable.
9. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
(d) Nova Scot.
10. Who became the center of moral instruction and domestic authority in Elijah's movement?
11. When did Matthews marry Margaret?
12. What Jew influenced Matthews after he returned to New York?
(a) Rabbi Adelstine.
(b) Mordecai Manuel Noah.
(c) Mordecai Maidanik.
(d) Mordecai Aaronson.
13. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
(a) Reverend Smith.
(b) Reverend Mc Kulen.
(c) Reverend Mr. Beveridge.
(d) Reverend Mac Leod.
14. When did Matthews beat a woman according to historical evidences?
15. What did the Retrenchment Society build according to "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
(a) A hotel.
(b) A clinic for the poor.
(c) Schools for poor children.
(d) A church for the slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Matthews strike a cord with according to the "Prologue"?
2. When did Sarah fall ill?
3. What was the name of Matthews' brother, the painter?
4. What name did Matthews use to introduce himself to Joseph Smith?
5. What was Sarah's maiden name?
This section contains 349 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)