|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Matthews try to enlarged the store he worked at?
2. What was the name of Matthews' brother, the painter?
(a) J.M.D. Matthews.
(b) J.K.D. Mathas.
(c) J.L.D Mathies.
(d) J.K. Mathis.
3. Who claimed to have spoken to God since childhood?
(b) Ann Goll.
(c) Margaret Matthews.
(d) Isabella Van Wagenen.
4. What did Matthews do after failing to convince his wife to follow him?
(a) He went to a hospital.
(b) He held her hostage.
(c) He took his 3 sons.
(d) He took his daughter.
5. What type of evangelical person was Elijah?
(a) A Catholic.
(b) A Mormon.
(c) A Finneyite.
(d) A Unionist.
6. What did Elijah say he would do during Sarah's funeral?
(a) Raise her from the dead.
(b) Make her disappear.
(c) Make her smile.
(d) Bury her himself.
7. What was the name of Elijah's servant?
8. When did Matthews knock on Elijah's door?
(a) May 15, 1832.
(b) May 5, 1832.
(c) May 5, 1833.
(d) June 5, 1832.
9. What did Elijah think his purpose was after hearing God's voice?
(a) To create a new country.
(b) Prepare the world for the Second Coming.
(c) To follow Matthews.
(d) To give his wealth to the Church.
10. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
(a) Reverend Mac Leod.
(b) Reverend Smith.
(c) Reverend Mc Kulen.
(d) Reverend Mr. Beveridge.
11. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
(a) They were equally notorious.
(b) They both spent time in prison.
(c) They were unknown.
(d) They were both murderers.
12. What did Joseph Smith tell Matthews when they first met?
(a) That he wanted to found a new state.
(b) Smith told Matthews of his visions.
(c) That he knew who he was.
(d) That progressivism was evil.
13. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
14. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
(a) Two Points.
(b) Three Points.
(c) Five Points.
(d) Six Points.
15. How long did Elijah pray at Sarah's funeral?
(a) 6 hour.
(b) 1 hour.
(c) 2 hour.
(d) 12 hour.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Retrenchment Society build according to "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
2. What was the name of the sister church of the Retrenchment Society?
3. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
4. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
5. Who sat in the front of a Calvinist church in the early 1800's?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)