|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Elijah think God would do for him if he continued to spread the Gospel?
(a) Make him forget Sarah.
(b) Make him king of the world.
(c) Give him power over the United States.
(d) Return Sarah to him.
2. Who refused to talk to Elijah after Sarah's death?
(a) His brother, Martin.
(b) His father in law.
3. Who did Matthews strike a cord with according to the "Prologue"?
(c) Those afraid of change.
4. When did Matthews beat a woman according to historical evidences?
5. What did Elijah and Sarah Start to get prostitutes off the street?
(a) The Female Assistance Society.
(b) The Female Safe House.
(c) The Second Chance Society.
(d) The Female Asylum Society.
6. When did Sarah die?
(a) May 29, 1830.
(b) June 2, 1830.
(c) June 29, 1832.
(d) June 29, 1830.
7. How many of his sons did Matthews lose to illness between 1816 and 1819?
8. When did Matthews knock on Elijah's door?
(a) June 5, 1832.
(b) May 15, 1832.
(c) May 5, 1832.
(d) May 5, 1833.
9. How long did Elijah pray at Sarah's funeral?
(a) 2 hour.
(b) 6 hour.
(c) 12 hour.
(d) 1 hour.
10. What was Matthews' convinced of after God told him to stop shaving?
(a) He must save prostitutes.
(b) He must save his family from God's wrath.
(c) He must become like sinners.
(d) He must become a street preacher.
11. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
(a) A zealot.
(b) A religious reformer.
(c) A good father.
(d) A businessman.
12. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
(a) Two Points.
(b) Five Points.
(c) Three Points.
(d) Six Points.
13. What did the Retrenchment Society build according to "Elijah Pierson, Parts 5 through 7"?
(a) Schools for poor children.
(b) A clinic for the poor.
(c) A church for the slaves.
(d) A hotel.
14. What name did Matthews choose for himself after abandoning his family?
15. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
(a) The Baptist Church.
(b) The Mormon Church.
(c) The African Methodist Church.
(d) The Pentecostal Church.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Matthews do after abandoning his family?
2. What mission did Kirk set for himself after rejecting Matthews's request to join his church?
3. What does the "Prologue" state about those who opposed the middle class' evangelical reformist movement?
4. What was the name of the Scot spiritual leader?
5. What was the name of Matthews' brother, the painter?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)