|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Matthews do after abandoning his family?
(a) He went to Utah.
(b) He went to western New York State.
(c) He went to Kirtland.
(d) He went to the asylum.
2. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
(a) They were both murderers.
(b) They both spent time in prison.
(c) They were equally notorious.
(d) They were unknown.
3. What did Kirtland predate?
(c) New York.
4. When did Matthews leave the farm to live with a carpenter?
5. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
(a) Nova Scot.
6. What did Matthews open in Manhattan a year or two after moving with the carpenter?
(a) A shop as a journeyman.
(b) A shop as a dentist.
(c) A shop as a lawyer.
(d) A shop as a tailor.
7. Who invited Kirk to Albany?
(a) Reverend Jim Johnson.
(b) Reverend John Corso.
(c) Reverend James Chester.
(d) Reverend Michael Jensen.
8. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews would be a bad influence
(b) Matthews was not a good leader.
(c) Matthews was unreliable.
(d) Matthews was trouble.
9. What was Sarah diagnosed with?
(b) Small pox.
(d) The plague.
10. What did Joseph Smith tell Matthews when they first met?
(a) Smith told Matthews of his visions.
(b) That he wanted to found a new state.
(c) That he knew who he was.
(d) That progressivism was evil.
11. What did Matthews try to do to his coworkers?
(a) Have them create their own religion.
(b) Proselytize them.
(c) Have them leave New York.
(d) Have them fired.
12. What did Elijah hear God call him?
(a) Prophet Elijah of Tishbe.
(b) Prophet Elijah of New york.
(c) Jesus reincarnate.
(d) Saint Elijah.
13. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
(a) Having men be subservient.
(b) Having men in charge of religion and women in charge of the household.
(c) Greater equality.
(d) Having women be subservient.
14. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
(a) He was relocated.
(b) He was fired.
(c) He was given his own church.
(d) He was given a promotion.
15. When did Matthews try to enlarged the store he worked at?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claimed to have spoken to God since childhood?
2. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
3. What part of Calvinism did Kirk rail against?
4. When did Matthews beat a woman according to historical evidences?
5. What name did Matthews use to introduce himself to Joseph Smith?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)