|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Joseph Smith tell Matthews when they first met?
(a) That he wanted to found a new state.
(b) Smith told Matthews of his visions.
(c) That he knew who he was.
(d) That progressivism was evil.
2. When was Elijah born?
3. Who personified the middle class' evangelical reformists of the 1820's and 1840's?
(a) Elijah Smith.
(b) James Kirk.
(c) Charles Grandison Finney.
(d) Martin Luther.
4. What does the "Prologue" state about those who opposed the middle class' evangelical reformist movement?
(a) They were dangerous.
(b) They were poor and less educated.
(c) They were in power.
(d) They were rich.
5. What was the name of Matthews' brother, the painter?
(a) J.K.D. Mathas.
(b) J.M.D. Matthews.
(c) J.K. Mathis.
(d) J.L.D Mathies.
6. What part of New York did Elijah and Sarah help prostitutes at?
(a) Three Points.
(b) Six Points.
(c) Two Points.
(d) Five Points.
7. What movement was Elijah involved with before joining Matthias?
(a) The First Church movement.
(b) The Truth Church movement.
(c) The Free Church movement.
(d) The First Congregational church.
8. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
(a) They were both murderers.
(b) They both spent time in prison.
(c) They were unknown.
(d) They were equally notorious.
9. When did Matthews try to enlarged the store he worked at?
10. What happened when the congregation Kirk was working at found out he was an adherent to Finneyism?
(a) He was fired.
(b) He was relocated.
(c) He was given a promotion.
(d) He was given his own church.
11. Why was Matthews released after being arrested for domestic abuse?
(a) Lack of evidence.
(b) Good behavior.
(c) It was not illegal.
(d) Lack of testimony.
12. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
(a) A zealot.
(b) A good father.
(c) A religious reformer.
(d) A businessman.
13. What church did Matthews find inspiring after losing his sons?
(a) The Pentecostal Church.
(b) The African Methodist Church.
(c) The Baptist Church.
(d) The Mormon Church.
14. What congregation did Kirk work at when he first arrived in Albany?
(a) Second Presbyterian Church.
(b) First Presbyterian Church.
(c) Sixth Presbyterian Church.
(d) Third Presbyterian Church.
15. What did Matthews try to do to his coworkers?
(a) Have them fired.
(b) Proselytize them.
(c) Have them create their own religion.
(d) Have them leave New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
2. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
3. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
4. When did Matthews leave the farm to live with a carpenter?
5. How many of his sons did Matthews lose to illness between 1816 and 1819?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)