|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Sarah die?
(a) June 29, 1832.
(b) June 29, 1830.
(c) June 2, 1830.
(d) May 29, 1830.
2. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
(a) A zealot.
(b) A good father.
(c) A religious reformer.
(d) A businessman.
3. What did Elijah's partners in the prostitute mission do after Sarah's death?
(a) They blocked his access to the mission.
(b) They took the ex-prostitute and left.
(c) They asked to buy the mission from him.
(d) Give him sole control.
4. When did Kirk arrive in Albany according to "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7"?
5. How long did Elijah pray at Sarah's funeral?
(a) 1 hour.
(b) 6 hour.
(c) 2 hour.
(d) 12 hour.
6. What did Matthews try to do to his coworkers?
(a) Have them fired.
(b) Have them create their own religion.
(c) Proselytize them.
(d) Have them leave New York.
7. Who claimed to have spoken to God since childhood?
(a) Ann Goll.
(b) Isabella Van Wagenen.
(d) Margaret Matthews.
8. What was the name of Elijah's servant?
9. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
10. How many of his sons did Matthews lose to illness between 1816 and 1819?
11. When did Elijah join the Spring's Brick Presbyterian Church?
12. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
(a) Matthews was trouble.
(b) Matthews would be a bad influence
(c) Matthews was unreliable.
(d) Matthews was not a good leader.
13. What did Matthews do after failing to convince his wife to follow him?
(a) He went to a hospital.
(b) He took his 3 sons.
(c) He took his daughter.
(d) He held her hostage.
14. What did Matthews open in Manhattan a year or two after moving with the carpenter?
(a) A shop as a tailor.
(b) A shop as a journeyman.
(c) A shop as a lawyer.
(d) A shop as a dentist.
15. What type of evangelical person was Elijah?
(a) A Mormon.
(b) A Unionist.
(c) A Finneyite.
(d) A Catholic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Elijah do after quitting his job?
2. When did Matthews stop shaving?
3. Who personified the middle class' evangelical reformists of the 1820's and 1840's?
4. What did Elijah and Sarah Start to get prostitutes off the street?
5. When did Matthews leave the farm to live with a carpenter?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)