|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Sarah and Elijah marry?
2. What building did Kirk use for the Fourth Presbyterian Church meetings?
(a) St. Andrew's Church.
(b) North Dutch Church.
(c) Notre Dame Church.
(d) St. Michael's Church.
3. What Jew influenced Matthews after he returned to New York?
(a) Mordecai Aaronson.
(b) Mordecai Maidanik.
(c) Rabbi Adelstine.
(d) Mordecai Manuel Noah.
4. Who did Elijah open a mercantile store with?
(a) Martha Kirk.
(b) Benjamin Globle.
(c) Robert Matthews.
(d) John Steinbrenner.
5. What was the name of the Scot community in New York?
(a) Nova Scot.
6. What did Matthews try to do to his coworkers?
(a) Proselytize them.
(b) Have them fired.
(c) Have them leave New York.
(d) Have them create their own religion.
7. What was the period from 1820 to 1840 called?
(a) The Long Time.
(b) The Evangelist's Time.
(c) The Second Great Awakening.
(d) The Second Coming.
8. When did Kirk arrive in Albany according to "Robert Matthews, Parts 5 through 7"?
9. When did Elijah join the Spring's Brick Presbyterian Church?
10. What did the middle class' evangelical reformist movement lead to for men and women?
(a) Having men in charge of religion and women in charge of the household.
(b) Having women be subservient.
(c) Having men be subservient.
(d) Greater equality.
11. How many children did Matthews and Margaret eventually have?
12. How did Matthews' coworkers deem him?
(a) God whisperer.
(b) Jumping Horse.
(c) Jumping Jesus.
(d) Crazy Jesus.
13. Who became the center of moral instruction and domestic authority in Elijah's movement?
14. What prompted Albany's commercial revolution when Matthews tried his luck there?
(a) The new Albany.
(b) The mercantile.
(c) The new Erie Canal.
(d) The Statue of Liberty.
15. What was Elijah known for being according to "Elijah Pierson, Introduction and Parts 1 through 4"?
(a) A good father.
(b) A zealot.
(c) A religious reformer.
(d) A businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Matthews' rumored beating of his wife, his strange moods, and his unsteady work habits convince Kirk of?
2. What did Elijah think his purpose was after hearing God's voice?
3. What movement was Elijah involved with before joining Matthias?
4. What does the "Prologue" say of Matthews and Joseph Smith in 1835?
5. When did Elijah and Sarah move to Bowery Hill to join a burgeoning perfectionist community?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)