|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Theseus troubled by the king's son checking up on him during the bull dancer training?
2. Who are the children of the king and queen of Crete?
3. Who gave the bull medicine to make him mad?
4. When the man threw the item into the sea on the day that Theseus arrived, what was that a symbol of?
5. As a bull dancer, what does Theseus decide he wants to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
2. Recall what Ariadne tells Theseus about King Minos, explaining how he became sick and why.
3. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
4. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
5. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
6. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
7. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
8. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
9. Explain what Theseus learns about Asterion's true identity.
10. Explain what the old woman in Aigeus' kingdom says to Theseus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The King Must Die the theme of belief is prominent. It is the beliefs that the characters, mainly Theseus, have that bring meaning to their lives. What types of beliefs do Theseus possess? Explain how Theseus' beliefs affect the decisions that he makes in his life, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Theseus' character travels through many areas of ancient Greece, from Troizen to Eleusis to Athens to Crete. The setting of The King Must Die is very important to the story.
Part 1) Define setting, describing the different settings throughout the text.
Part 2) Explain how important the setting is to the plot of the story.
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel. Was the setting simple or complex?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a literary tool used in The King Must Die. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it's used to foretell events to come.
This section contains 1,395 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)