|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Theseus take a different path every night on the way to meet his lover?
2. Who is the man that threw the item in the sea for Theseus to retrieve?
3. What gift does Theseus' father give him?
4. As a bull dancer, what does Theseus decide he wants to be?
5. In the first three months, how many members do the cranes lose bull dancing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Theseus learns about Asterion's true identity.
2. Recall what Ariadne tells Theseus about King Minos, explaining how he became sick and why.
3. Explain what the old woman in Aigeus' kingdom says to Theseus.
4. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
5. Describe King Minos and what he tells Theseus in their first meeting.
6. Analyze the differences between Theseus and Asterion.
7. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
8. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
9. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
10. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asterion is Theseus' archenemy in The King Must Die; their differences are important to the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Asterion and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) Describe what type of leaders these men are, what do they inspire in their subjects?
Part 3) Explain why Asterion is important for Theseus' growth.
Essay Topic 2
What would you have done if you were forced to become a bull dancer? Would you have taken a leadership position like Theseus? What position would you have preferred to have and why (either leaper, chaser, or catcher)?
Essay Topic 3
Theseus is a good and fair leader, and he believes in justice. Justice is an important theme throughout The King Must Die.
Part 1) Explain the meaning of justice.
Part 2) Describe some examples of justice from the book. What does justice mean to Theseus?
Part 3) Compare an example of justice from the book to a moment in your own life. Do you believe as Theseus does?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)