|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color of flag does Theseus' father ask Theseus to run up on the ship if he returns?
2. Who calls Theseus to a secret meeting chamber?
3. What does Theseus name their bull?
4. While training to become a bull dancer, what does Theseus beg Poseidon to make him?
5. Who does Theseus' lover take him to see in a secret lair under the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
2. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
3. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
4. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
5. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
6. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
7. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
8. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
9. Explain what the old woman in Aigeus' kingdom says to Theseus.
10. Explain why Theseus is chosen to be the leader of the cranes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Theseus' character travels through many areas of ancient Greece, from Troizen to Eleusis to Athens to Crete. The setting of The King Must Die is very important to the story.
Part 1) Define setting, describing the different settings throughout the text.
Part 2) Explain how important the setting is to the plot of the story.
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel. Was the setting simple or complex?
Essay Topic 2
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
The King Must Die is based on the legend of Theseus.
Part 1) How different would the story be if it was written just like the legend?
Part 2) Which version do you prefer and why?
Part 3) Do you think the legend could be true, or what aspects of the story do you believe to be true?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)