|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bull god?
2. How many months will the bull dancers have to train?
3. As a bull dancer, what does Theseus decide he wants to be?
4. For what have the Crete men come to Athens?
5. What is the name of the girl wearing a goddess outfit in Crete that Theseus is attracted to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the differences between Theseus and Asterion.
2. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
3. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
4. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
5. Recall what Theseus learns about bull dancing while traveling to Crete.
6. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
7. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
8. Explain what Theseus learns about Asterion's true identity.
9. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
10. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
Essay Topic 2
Moira is an important symbol throughout The King Must Die. Theseus his dedicated to his belief of moira.
Part 1) Define moira, citing examples from the text where it's described.
Part 2) Explain how Theseus' belief in moira gives him freedom and how it hinders him.
Part 3) Describe how Theseus' belief in moira changes throughout the novel. Is he as passionate in the end of the novel as he is in the beginning?
Essay Topic 3
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
This section contains 1,186 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)