|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Theseus and his kinsmen are allowed to watch the bull dance?
2. Why did someone give the bull medicine to make him mad?
3. How do the people of Crete treat Theseus and his kinsmen when they arrive?
4. Who gave the bull medicine to make him mad?
5. Why does Theseus' lover begin to cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
2. Describe King Minos and what he tells Theseus in their first meeting.
3. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
4. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
5. Recall what Ariadne tells Theseus about King Minos, explaining how he became sick and why.
6. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
7. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
8. Explain why Theseus is chosen to be the leader of the cranes.
9. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
10. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods are an essential component in The King Must Die in great and small ways.
Part 1) What are some examples from the text that show Theseus' devotion to his deity? How do his beliefs differ from the other characters?
Part 2) How can straying away from the gods be seen as forgetting what is important in life? What do the gods represent to the people (like in Eleusis and Troizen)?
Part 3) Crete is destroyed by an earthquake. Can this be seen as the god's wrath against a city that doesn't believe anymore? Is Theseus successful in life because of his strong beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
The connection between Theseus and Poseidon is essential to the plot of the book, because Poseidon affects Theseus' entire life. Describe the connection between Poseidon and Theseus, and cite examples from the book. Describe attributes that Theseus has gained from his connection to Poseidon. Explain how Poseidon has affected Theseus' life, and cite several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Theseus' character travels through many areas of ancient Greece, from Troizen to Eleusis to Athens to Crete. The setting of The King Must Die is very important to the story.
Part 1) Define setting, describing the different settings throughout the text.
Part 2) Explain how important the setting is to the plot of the story.
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel. Was the setting simple or complex?
This section contains 1,316 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)