|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Theseus and his kinsmen living in Crete?
2. What does one of the girl dancers confess to Theseus?
3. After three months of bull dancing, who calls Theseus to his home to dine?
4. What is the name of the man who Theseus think is coming to punish him because he retrieved the item out of the sea?
5. Where does Theseus go after killing the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
2. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
3. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
4. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
5. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
6. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
7. Explain what the old woman in Aigeus' kingdom says to Theseus.
8. Recall what Theseus learns about bull dancing while traveling to Crete.
9. Explain why Theseus is chosen to be the leader of the cranes.
10. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What would you have done if you were forced to become a bull dancer? Would you have taken a leadership position like Theseus? What position would you have preferred to have and why (either leaper, chaser, or catcher)?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout The King Must Die the theme of belief is prominent. It is the beliefs that the characters, mainly Theseus, have that bring meaning to their lives. What types of beliefs do Theseus possess? Explain how Theseus' beliefs affect the decisions that he makes in his life, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Theseus is a good and fair leader, and he believes in justice. Justice is an important theme throughout The King Must Die.
Part 1) Explain the meaning of justice.
Part 2) Describe some examples of justice from the book. What does justice mean to Theseus?
Part 3) Compare an example of justice from the book to a moment in your own life. Do you believe as Theseus does?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)