|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Theseus feeling while waiting to hear news of the king's death?
2. What is the name of the bull dancer who jumps up and over the bull?
3. What is one place that Theseus finds useful on his way to meet his lover?
4. What happens to Theseus after the bull dance?
5. How did the queen of Crete treat her daughter when she was young?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
2. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
3. Describe the House of the Axe and how Theseus feels about being there.
4. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
5. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
6. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
7. Explain why Theseus is chosen to be the leader of the cranes.
8. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
9. Recall what Ariadne tells Theseus about King Minos, explaining how he became sick and why.
10. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King Minos is the ruler of Crete, Theseus is also a leader and ruler of many people.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Minos and Theseus. How are they similar and how are they different as rulers?
Part 2) Explain why Minos' character is important to the story. How does he affect Theseus?
Part 3) Besides Theseus, what ruler from the story do you like the most and why (Aigeus, Pittheus, Persephone, Asterion, Minos)?
Essay Topic 2
Asterion is Theseus' archenemy in The King Must Die; their differences are important to the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Asterion and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) Describe what type of leaders these men are, what do they inspire in their subjects?
Part 3) Explain why Asterion is important for Theseus' growth.
Essay Topic 3
The gods are an essential component in The King Must Die in great and small ways.
Part 1) What are some examples from the text that show Theseus' devotion to his deity? How do his beliefs differ from the other characters?
Part 2) How can straying away from the gods be seen as forgetting what is important in life? What do the gods represent to the people (like in Eleusis and Troizen)?
Part 3) Crete is destroyed by an earthquake. Can this be seen as the god's wrath against a city that doesn't believe anymore? Is Theseus successful in life because of his strong beliefs?
This section contains 1,386 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)