|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the bull dance, where do Theseus and another of the dancers get caught?
2. What does Theseus think of the person who tells him the gods favor him?
3. Who are the children of the king and queen of Crete?
4. Who is going to send a message to Theseus' father, asking for help in stopping the son of the king of Crete?
5. What is Theseus and the other cranes considered to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what Theseus learns about bull dancing while traveling to Crete.
2. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
3. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
4. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
5. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
6. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
7. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
8. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
9. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
10. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moira is an important symbol throughout The King Must Die. Theseus his dedicated to his belief of moira.
Part 1) Define moira, citing examples from the text where it's described.
Part 2) Explain how Theseus' belief in moira gives him freedom and how it hinders him.
Part 3) Describe how Theseus' belief in moira changes throughout the novel. Is he as passionate in the end of the novel as he is in the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
The connection between Theseus and Poseidon is essential to the plot of the book, because Poseidon affects Theseus' entire life. Describe the connection between Poseidon and Theseus, and cite examples from the book. Describe attributes that Theseus has gained from his connection to Poseidon. Explain how Poseidon has affected Theseus' life, and cite several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Rituals are prominent throughout The King Must Die. They are an indicator of the differences and similarities between the cultures. Compare and contrast the different rituals throughout the book. How are they the same? How are they different? How does Theseus feel about the different rituals he encounters throughout his travels? Include several examples from the book. Compare and contrast the rituals in the book to rituals that we have in society today.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)