|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people of Crete treat Theseus and his kinsmen when they arrive?
2. What does the man who slapped Theseus across the face call Poseidon?
3. What angered Poseidon?
4. What is the name of the man who Theseus think is coming to punish him because he retrieved the item out of the sea?
5. What color of flag does Theseus' father ask Theseus to run up on the ship if he returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what Ariadne tells Theseus about King Minos, explaining how he became sick and why.
2. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
3. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
4. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
5. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
6. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
7. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
8. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
9. Describe King Minos and what he tells Theseus in their first meeting.
10. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The connection between Theseus and Poseidon is essential to the plot of the book, because Poseidon affects Theseus' entire life. Describe the connection between Poseidon and Theseus, and cite examples from the book. Describe attributes that Theseus has gained from his connection to Poseidon. Explain how Poseidon has affected Theseus' life, and cite several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There are four different societies depicted in The King Must Die: Troizen, Eleusis, Athens, and Crete. Choose two to compare and contrast in an essay. What deities do the people worship? What rituals do they perform? How does Theseus feel about each society? Which society would you choose to be a member of if you lived in that era?
Essay Topic 3
Theseus' character travels through many areas of ancient Greece, from Troizen to Eleusis to Athens to Crete. The setting of The King Must Die is very important to the story.
Part 1) Define setting, describing the different settings throughout the text.
Part 2) Explain how important the setting is to the plot of the story.
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel. Was the setting simple or complex?
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)