|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the king ask Theseus to take his life?
2. During the bull dance, where do Theseus and another of the dancers get caught?
3. What is the name of the bull dancer who jumps up and over the bull?
4. How is Theseus feeling while waiting to hear news of the king's death?
5. What is the name of the bull god?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
2. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
3. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
4. Explain the relationship between Theseus and Ariadne.
5. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
6. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
7. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
8. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
9. Describe the House of the Axe and how Theseus feels about being there.
10. Explain what the old woman in Aigeus' kingdom says to Theseus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
Essay Topic 2
Moira is an important symbol throughout The King Must Die. Theseus his dedicated to his belief of moira.
Part 1) Define moira, citing examples from the text where it's described.
Part 2) Explain how Theseus' belief in moira gives him freedom and how it hinders him.
Part 3) Describe how Theseus' belief in moira changes throughout the novel. Is he as passionate in the end of the novel as he is in the beginning?
Essay Topic 3
Honor is a powerful theme throughout The King Must Die; some characters have honor and some do not.
Part 1) Define honor, also describing why it's important to be a person with honor.
Part 2) Explain why Theseus is considered a man of honor and Asterion is not. Cite examples from the book.
Part 3) What does honor mean in society today? Are people as honorable in this era?
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)