|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the man who slapped Theseus across the face call Poseidon?
2. What is Theseus and the other cranes considered to be?
3. Where are Theseus and his kinsmen living in Crete?
4. Who gave the bull medicine to make him mad?
5. What happens to Theseus after the bull dance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
2. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
3. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
4. Explain why Theseus is chosen to be the leader of the cranes.
5. Explain the relationship between Theseus and Ariadne.
6. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
7. Explain what the old woman in Aigeus' kingdom says to Theseus.
8. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
9. Analyze the differences between Theseus and Asterion.
10. Describe King Minos and what he tells Theseus in their first meeting.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout The King Must Die the theme of belief is prominent. It is the beliefs that the characters, mainly Theseus, have that bring meaning to their lives. What types of beliefs do Theseus possess? Explain how Theseus' beliefs affect the decisions that he makes in his life, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
The gods are an essential component in The King Must Die in great and small ways.
Part 1) What are some examples from the text that show Theseus' devotion to his deity? How do his beliefs differ from the other characters?
Part 2) How can straying away from the gods be seen as forgetting what is important in life? What do the gods represent to the people (like in Eleusis and Troizen)?
Part 3) Crete is destroyed by an earthquake. Can this be seen as the god's wrath against a city that doesn't believe anymore? Is Theseus successful in life because of his strong beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Theseus' character travels through many areas of ancient Greece, from Troizen to Eleusis to Athens to Crete. The setting of The King Must Die is very important to the story.
Part 1) Define setting, describing the different settings throughout the text.
Part 2) Explain how important the setting is to the plot of the story.
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel. Was the setting simple or complex?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)