|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus' father want to do for Theseus' birthday?
2. Why is the bull never to be killed or hurt?
3. When the man threw the item into the sea on the day that Theseus arrived, what was that a symbol of?
4. What happens to the bull after the dance?
5. Theseus has heard that if a dancer lasts _____ years the goddess sets them free.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
2. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
3. Explain what Theseus learns about Asterion's true identity.
4. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
5. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
6. Recall what Ariadne tells Theseus about King Minos, explaining how he became sick and why.
7. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
8. Describe King Minos and what he tells Theseus in their first meeting.
9. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
10. Analyze the differences between Theseus and Asterion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King Minos is the ruler of Crete, Theseus is also a leader and ruler of many people.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Minos and Theseus. How are they similar and how are they different as rulers?
Part 2) Explain why Minos' character is important to the story. How does he affect Theseus?
Part 3) Besides Theseus, what ruler from the story do you like the most and why (Aigeus, Pittheus, Persephone, Asterion, Minos)?
Essay Topic 2
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a literary tool used in The King Must Die. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it's used to foretell events to come.
This section contains 1,243 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)