|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the children of the king and queen of Crete?
2. Who is going to send a message to Theseus' father, asking for help in stopping the son of the king of Crete?
3. What happens in the last month of bull dancer training?
4. How did Theseus ruin the symbol by retrieving the item?
5. Where does Theseus go after killing the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
2. Explain what Theseus learns about Asterion's true identity.
3. Explain what the old woman in Aigeus' kingdom says to Theseus.
4. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
5. Explain the relationship between Theseus and Ariadne.
6. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
7. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
8. Recall what Theseus learns about bull dancing while traveling to Crete.
9. Describe the House of the Axe and how Theseus feels about being there.
10. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King Minos is the ruler of Crete, Theseus is also a leader and ruler of many people.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Minos and Theseus. How are they similar and how are they different as rulers?
Part 2) Explain why Minos' character is important to the story. How does he affect Theseus?
Part 3) Besides Theseus, what ruler from the story do you like the most and why (Aigeus, Pittheus, Persephone, Asterion, Minos)?
Essay Topic 2
Theseus is a good and fair leader, and he believes in justice. Justice is an important theme throughout The King Must Die.
Part 1) Explain the meaning of justice.
Part 2) Describe some examples of justice from the book. What does justice mean to Theseus?
Part 3) Compare an example of justice from the book to a moment in your own life. Do you believe as Theseus does?
Essay Topic 3
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)