|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus and his kinsmen practice on the ship?
2. Who does Theseus' lover take him to see in a secret lair under the palace?
3. What does the man who slapped Theseus across the face call Poseidon?
4. In the first three months, how many members do the cranes lose bull dancing?
5. How did Theseus ruin the symbol by retrieving the item?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
2. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
3. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
4. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
5. Describe King Minos and what he tells Theseus in their first meeting.
6. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
7. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
8. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
9. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
10. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moira is an important symbol throughout The King Must Die. Theseus his dedicated to his belief of moira.
Part 1) Define moira, citing examples from the text where it's described.
Part 2) Explain how Theseus' belief in moira gives him freedom and how it hinders him.
Part 3) Describe how Theseus' belief in moira changes throughout the novel. Is he as passionate in the end of the novel as he is in the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
Asterion is Theseus' archenemy in The King Must Die; their differences are important to the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Asterion and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) Describe what type of leaders these men are, what do they inspire in their subjects?
Part 3) Explain why Asterion is important for Theseus' growth.
Essay Topic 3
The connection between Theseus and Poseidon is essential to the plot of the book, because Poseidon affects Theseus' entire life. Describe the connection between Poseidon and Theseus, and cite examples from the book. Describe attributes that Theseus has gained from his connection to Poseidon. Explain how Poseidon has affected Theseus' life, and cite several examples from the book.
This section contains 1,199 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)