|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people of Crete treat Theseus and his kinsmen when they arrive?
2. With what does Theseus kill the king?
3. What is the name of the palace where the bull dancers will be training?
4. What do Theseus and the bull dancers smuggle and begin to hide?
5. Why is the bull never to be killed or hurt?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
2. Describe King Minos and what he tells Theseus in their first meeting.
3. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
4. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
5. Recall what Theseus learns about bull dancing while traveling to Crete.
6. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
7. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
8. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
9. Analyze the differences between Theseus and Asterion.
10. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Theseus' great leadership brings loyalty from his men. There are many different examples of leaders commanding respect and using power throughout the novel. Explain how being a great leader can bring loyalty, citing examples from the text. Theseus and Asterion are both leaders. Compare the different ways they command respect using examples.
Essay Topic 2
Theseus is a good and fair leader, and he believes in justice. Justice is an important theme throughout The King Must Die.
Part 1) Explain the meaning of justice.
Part 2) Describe some examples of justice from the book. What does justice mean to Theseus?
Part 3) Compare an example of justice from the book to a moment in your own life. Do you believe as Theseus does?
Essay Topic 3
King Minos is the ruler of Crete, Theseus is also a leader and ruler of many people.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Minos and Theseus. How are they similar and how are they different as rulers?
Part 2) Explain why Minos' character is important to the story. How does he affect Theseus?
Part 3) Besides Theseus, what ruler from the story do you like the most and why (Aigeus, Pittheus, Persephone, Asterion, Minos)?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)