|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the queen sleep with that angers the king?
2. What is Theseus and the other cranes considered to be?
3. What does Theseus and his kinsmen practice on the ship?
4. After Theseus and his kinsmen have practiced and before they are ready for their dance, who comes to check on them?
5. What is the name of the girl wearing a goddess outfit in Crete that Theseus is attracted to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the relationship between Theseus and Ariadne.
2. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
3. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
4. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
5. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
6. Evaluate Theseus' feelings after taking the king's life.
7. Recall what Ariadne tells Theseus about King Minos, explaining how he became sick and why.
8. Analyze the differences between Theseus and Asterion.
9. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
10. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Moira is an important symbol throughout The King Must Die. Theseus his dedicated to his belief of moira.
Part 1) Define moira, citing examples from the text where it's described.
Part 2) Explain how Theseus' belief in moira gives him freedom and how it hinders him.
Part 3) Describe how Theseus' belief in moira changes throughout the novel. Is he as passionate in the end of the novel as he is in the beginning?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout The King Must Die the theme of belief is prominent. It is the beliefs that the characters, mainly Theseus, have that bring meaning to their lives. What types of beliefs do Theseus possess? Explain how Theseus' beliefs affect the decisions that he makes in his life, citing examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
This section contains 1,134 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)