|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of the town believe must happen every year?
2. Who do the people of the town care more for as their leader?
3. Why does Theseus' mother ask him to lift the altar stone?
4. Who do Theseus and his friend find on the side of the road?
5. What does Theseus and his men come upon at the end of the borders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the connection between Theseus and Poseidon.
2. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
3. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
4. Describe how Theseus' changes the government of Eleusis.
5. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
6. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather as Theseus grows from boy to man.
7. Explain how Theseus' chariot crashes on the battlefield.
8. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
9. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Aigeus at their first meeting.
10. Describe one of the customs that is performed in Eleusis every year.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
Essay Topic 2
Rituals are prominent throughout The King Must Die. They are an indicator of the differences and similarities between the cultures. Compare and contrast the different rituals throughout the book. How are they the same? How are they different? How does Theseus feel about the different rituals he encounters throughout his travels? Include several examples from the book. Compare and contrast the rituals in the book to rituals that we have in society today.
Essay Topic 3
There are four different societies depicted in The King Must Die: Troizen, Eleusis, Athens, and Crete. Choose two to compare and contrast in an essay. What deities do the people worship? What rituals do they perform? How does Theseus feel about each society? Which society would you choose to be a member of if you lived in that era?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)