|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Theseus' chariot crash?
2. What does the queen do after her fight with Theseus?
3. What does Theseus hear the harper singing about?
4. What does Theseus ask the king of the town just before taking his life?
5. When Theseus is 7-years-old, what animal does his grandfather sacrifice in a ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what King Aigeus does after seeing Theseus' ship returning to Athens.
2. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
3. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
4. Recall what Theseus learns about bull dancing while traveling to Crete.
5. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
6. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
7. Describe the House of the Axe and how Theseus feels about being there.
8. Explain the importance of Theseus' dream after a harper comes to the palace.
9. Describe how Theseus' changes the government of Eleusis.
10. Explain how Theseus' chariot crashes on the battlefield.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Asterion is Theseus' archenemy in The King Must Die; their differences are important to the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Asterion and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) Describe what type of leaders these men are, what do they inspire in their subjects?
Part 3) Explain why Asterion is important for Theseus' growth.
Essay Topic 2
King Minos is the ruler of Crete, Theseus is also a leader and ruler of many people.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Minos and Theseus. How are they similar and how are they different as rulers?
Part 2) Explain why Minos' character is important to the story. How does he affect Theseus?
Part 3) Besides Theseus, what ruler from the story do you like the most and why (Aigeus, Pittheus, Persephone, Asterion, Minos)?
Essay Topic 3
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
This section contains 2,334 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)