|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Simo make fun of Theseus?
2. How old is Theseus when he finishes his service to Poseidon?
3. What does Theseus do for his men after they defeat the city?
4. From what god is Theseus told from birth that he is begotten?
5. After Theseus' friend is killed, he comes to a camp of _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
2. Describe how Xanthos tries to undermine Theseus after the first battle.
3. Describe one of the customs that is performed in Eleusis every year.
4. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
5. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
6. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
7. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
8. Describe the connection between Theseus and Poseidon.
9. Explain the importance of Theseus' dream after a harper comes to the palace.
10. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four different societies depicted in The King Must Die: Troizen, Eleusis, Athens, and Crete. Choose two to compare and contrast in an essay. What deities do the people worship? What rituals do they perform? How does Theseus feel about each society? Which society would you choose to be a member of if you lived in that era?
Essay Topic 2
Moira is an important symbol throughout The King Must Die. Theseus his dedicated to his belief of moira.
Part 1) Define moira, citing examples from the text where it's described.
Part 2) Explain how Theseus' belief in moira gives him freedom and how it hinders him.
Part 3) Describe how Theseus' belief in moira changes throughout the novel. Is he as passionate in the end of the novel as he is in the beginning?
Essay Topic 3
The King Must Die is based on the legend of Theseus.
Part 1) How different would the story be if it was written just like the legend?
Part 2) Which version do you prefer and why?
Part 3) Do you think the legend could be true, or what aspects of the story do you believe to be true?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)