|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus decide to do about revealing his true identity to the king?
2. After dealing with the chariot driver, who does Theseus fight in combat?
3. Who is Theseus' mentor?
4. Whom do Theseus and his friend run into as they begin their journey?
5. Who requested the death of Theseus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
2. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
3. Describe one of the customs that is performed in Eleusis every year.
4. Describe two different ways Persephone tries to have Theseus killed.
5. Evaluate the impact of Theseus' relationship with Simo, describing how this relationship helped Theseus to grow.
6. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
7. Describe two things that Theseus and Dexios encounter on Isthmus Road.
8. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
9. Explain why the true identity of Theseus' lineage was hidden.
10. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Moira is an important symbol throughout The King Must Die. Theseus his dedicated to his belief of moira.
Part 1) Define moira, citing examples from the text where it's described.
Part 2) Explain how Theseus' belief in moira gives him freedom and how it hinders him.
Part 3) Describe how Theseus' belief in moira changes throughout the novel. Is he as passionate in the end of the novel as he is in the beginning?
Essay Topic 3
Honor is a powerful theme throughout The King Must Die; some characters have honor and some do not.
Part 1) Define honor, also describing why it's important to be a person with honor.
Part 2) Explain why Theseus is considered a man of honor and Asterion is not. Cite examples from the book.
Part 3) What does honor mean in society today? Are people as honorable in this era?
This section contains 1,226 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)