|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Theseus' chariot crash?
2. Why must the entire town watch Theseus and the queen?
3. What is the name of the other boy who comes to serve Poseidon?
4. Why does Theseus' mother ask him to lift the altar stone?
5. What does Theseus decide to do about revealing his true identity to the king?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
2. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather as Theseus grows from boy to man.
3. Explain the significance of Theseus' grandfather sacrificing the king horse.
4. Describe how Theseus' parents came together.
5. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
6. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
7. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
8. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
9. Describe two things that Theseus and Dexios encounter on Isthmus Road.
10. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four different societies depicted in The King Must Die: Troizen, Eleusis, Athens, and Crete. Choose two to compare and contrast in an essay. What deities do the people worship? What rituals do they perform? How does Theseus feel about each society? Which society would you choose to be a member of if you lived in that era?
Essay Topic 2
Theseus' great leadership brings loyalty from his men. There are many different examples of leaders commanding respect and using power throughout the novel. Explain how being a great leader can bring loyalty, citing examples from the text. Theseus and Asterion are both leaders. Compare the different ways they command respect using examples.
Essay Topic 3
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
This section contains 1,437 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)