|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story that Theseus' grandfather tells him, what befalls the city?
2. What does the oracle announce about Theseus' journey?
3. Who is the ruler of the neighboring kingdom?
4. Who is Theseus' mentor?
5. How does Theseus make the people in the camp feel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to make Queen Persephone cry in Book 2: Chapter 2.
2. Explain the importance of Theseus' dream after a harper comes to the palace.
3. Describe how Theseus' parents came together.
4. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
5. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
6. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
7. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
8. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
9. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
10. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Theseus is a good and fair leader, and he believes in justice. Justice is an important theme throughout The King Must Die.
Part 1) Explain the meaning of justice.
Part 2) Describe some examples of justice from the book. What does justice mean to Theseus?
Part 3) Compare an example of justice from the book to a moment in your own life. Do you believe as Theseus does?
Essay Topic 2
The city of Crete is destroyed at the end of the book because the people had lost their belief in the gods. Compare and contrast the society of Crete with our society today. How are they similar? How are they different? What could people do to change society today?
Essay Topic 3
Aigeus is Theseus' father and the king of Athens; their relationship is an important element to the novel.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Aigeus and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different. Give some examples from the text.
Part 2) Explain whether you believe it a good thing that Aigeus sent Theseus away as a child. Should he have tried to raise him?
Part 3) Who do you think should have been the ruler in the end if Aigeus hadn't committed suicide? Aigeus or Theseus?
This section contains 1,165 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)