|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the king's woman?
2. How does Theseus make the people in the camp feel?
3. What does the king violently stop Theseus from doing?
4. Who does Theseus find to leave his sword?
5. How does Theseus' father agree to treat the people in Eleusis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
2. Describe how Theseus' parents came together.
3. Explain the importance of Theseus' dream after a harper comes to the palace.
4. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
5. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
6. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
7. Explain why the true identity of Theseus' lineage was hidden.
8. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
9. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Aigeus at their first meeting.
10. Describe two different ways Persephone tries to have Theseus killed.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Theseus' character travels through many areas of ancient Greece, from Troizen to Eleusis to Athens to Crete. The setting of The King Must Die is very important to the story.
Part 1) Define setting, describing the different settings throughout the text.
Part 2) Explain how important the setting is to the plot of the story.
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel. Was the setting simple or complex?
Essay Topic 2
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What would you have done if you were forced to become a bull dancer? Would you have taken a leadership position like Theseus? What position would you have preferred to have and why (either leaper, chaser, or catcher)?
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)