|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the relationship of Diokles and Theseus?
2. In Theseus' dream, what does he use to move the rock?
3. Who is the town ruled by?
4. What does Theseus continually pray to Poseidon about?
5. After he returns home from battle, what does Theseus tell the queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
2. Recall what Theseus feels Poseidon commanded him to do when returning to Athens.
3. Explain why Theseus is chosen to be the leader of the cranes.
4. Describe the House of the Axe and how Theseus feels about being there.
5. Explain the significance of Theseus' grandfather sacrificing the king horse.
6. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
7. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
8. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
9. Recall what Theseus learns about bull dancing while traveling to Crete.
10. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rituals are prominent throughout The King Must Die. They are an indicator of the differences and similarities between the cultures. Compare and contrast the different rituals throughout the book. How are they the same? How are they different? How does Theseus feel about the different rituals he encounters throughout his travels? Include several examples from the book. Compare and contrast the rituals in the book to rituals that we have in society today.
Essay Topic 2
The connection between Theseus and Poseidon is essential to the plot of the book, because Poseidon affects Theseus' entire life. Describe the connection between Poseidon and Theseus, and cite examples from the book. Describe attributes that Theseus has gained from his connection to Poseidon. Explain how Poseidon has affected Theseus' life, and cite several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
The King Must Die is based on the legend of Theseus.
Part 1) How different would the story be if it was written just like the legend?
Part 2) Which version do you prefer and why?
Part 3) Do you think the legend could be true, or what aspects of the story do you believe to be true?
This section contains 2,240 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)