|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After he returns home from battle, what does Theseus tell the queen?
2. Whom does Theseus send away on a boat?
3. What does Theseus and his men come upon at the end of the borders?
4. How old is Theseus when he finishes his service to Poseidon?
5. What does Theseus discover when reaching the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
2. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
3. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Aigeus at their first meeting.
4. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
5. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
6. Explain the importance of Theseus' dream after a harper comes to the palace.
7. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
8. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
9. Evaluate Theseus' actions, concentrating on how much he has matured as king.
10. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aigeus is Theseus' father and the king of Athens; their relationship is an important element to the novel.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Aigeus and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different. Give some examples from the text.
Part 2) Explain whether you believe it a good thing that Aigeus sent Theseus away as a child. Should he have tried to raise him?
Part 3) Who do you think should have been the ruler in the end if Aigeus hadn't committed suicide? Aigeus or Theseus?
Essay Topic 2
What would you have done if you were forced to become a bull dancer? Would you have taken a leadership position like Theseus? What position would you have preferred to have and why (either leaper, chaser, or catcher)?
Essay Topic 3
The city of Crete is destroyed at the end of the book because the people had lost their belief in the gods. Compare and contrast the society of Crete with our society today. How are they similar? How are they different? What could people do to change society today?
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)