|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the queen's brother?
2. What happens to the body of the person that's killed every year in the town?
3. Why does Theseus decide to make friends with one of the neighboring kingdoms?
4. Who seeks to take the throne from Aigeus?
5. Who is the queen of the town Theseus travels to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the true identity of Theseus' lineage was hidden.
2. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
3. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
4. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
5. Describe two different ways Persephone tries to have Theseus killed.
6. Describe the connection between Theseus and Poseidon.
7. Evaluate Theseus' actions, concentrating on how much he has matured as king.
8. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
9. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather as Theseus grows from boy to man.
10. Describe how Theseus' changes the government of Eleusis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The gods are an essential component in The King Must Die in great and small ways.
Part 1) What are some examples from the text that show Theseus' devotion to his deity? How do his beliefs differ from the other characters?
Part 2) How can straying away from the gods be seen as forgetting what is important in life? What do the gods represent to the people (like in Eleusis and Troizen)?
Part 3) Crete is destroyed by an earthquake. Can this be seen as the god's wrath against a city that doesn't believe anymore? Is Theseus successful in life because of his strong beliefs?
Essay Topic 2
The city of Crete is destroyed at the end of the book because the people had lost their belief in the gods. Compare and contrast the society of Crete with our society today. How are they similar? How are they different? What could people do to change society today?
Essay Topic 3
King Minos is the ruler of Crete, Theseus is also a leader and ruler of many people.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Minos and Theseus. How are they similar and how are they different as rulers?
Part 2) Explain why Minos' character is important to the story. How does he affect Theseus?
Part 3) Besides Theseus, what ruler from the story do you like the most and why (Aigeus, Pittheus, Persephone, Asterion, Minos)?
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)