|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus continually pray to Poseidon about?
2. Why did King Minos' men take the smaller boys from Troizen?
3. Who does Theseus go to war against?
4. What do the people of the town pick someone to do every year?
5. How old is Theseus when he is sent to begin his service to Poseidon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Theseus' changes the government of Eleusis.
2. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
3. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
4. Describe how Theseus' parents came together.
5. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
6. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
7. Explain how Theseus' chariot crashes on the battlefield.
8. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
9. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
10. Evaluate Theseus' actions, concentrating on how much he has matured as king.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The King Must Die is based on the legend of Theseus.
Part 1) How different would the story be if it was written just like the legend?
Part 2) Which version do you prefer and why?
Part 3) Do you think the legend could be true, or what aspects of the story do you believe to be true?
Essay Topic 2
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of The King Must Die is also a participant in the story. Analyze how different the story would be if told from an observer and non-participant point of view.
This section contains 1,247 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)