|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus do to the chariot driver?
2. How does the queen act when Theseus leaves for battle?
3. Why does Theseus choose not to travel to Athens on the ship?
4. Who does Theseus' mother reveal to be his father?
5. What is the name of the first castle Theseus comes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Justify why Theseus obeys Poseidon's command.
2. Describe two things that Theseus and Dexios encounter on Isthmus Road.
3. Describe the connection between Theseus and Poseidon.
4. Describe one of the customs that is performed in Eleusis every year.
5. Describe how Xanthos tries to undermine Theseus after the first battle.
6. Describe what King Aigeus does after seeing Theseus' ship returning to Athens.
7. Explain why Theseus is feeling uneasy the day following Herakles death.
8. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
9. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
10. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
Essay Topic 1
Asterion is Theseus' archenemy in The King Must Die; their differences are important to the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Asterion and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) Describe what type of leaders these men are, what do they inspire in their subjects?
Part 3) Explain why Asterion is important for Theseus' growth.
Essay Topic 2
Aigeus is Theseus' father and the king of Athens; their relationship is an important element to the novel.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Aigeus and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different. Give some examples from the text.
Part 2) Explain whether you believe it a good thing that Aigeus sent Theseus away as a child. Should he have tried to raise him?
Part 3) Who do you think should have been the ruler in the end if Aigeus hadn't committed suicide? Aigeus or Theseus?
Essay Topic 3
Moira is an important symbol throughout The King Must Die. Theseus his dedicated to his belief of moira.
Part 1) Define moira, citing examples from the text where it's described.
Part 2) Explain how Theseus' belief in moira gives him freedom and how it hinders him.
Part 3) Describe how Theseus' belief in moira changes throughout the novel. Is he as passionate in the end of the novel as he is in the beginning?
This section contains 2,109 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)