|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Theseus' grandfather feeling when Theseus comes to visit him?
2. What is the name of the man who kills Theseus' friend?
3. What does the oracle announce about Theseus' journey?
4. Of what city is Theseus' mother the chief priestess?
5. After he returns home from battle, what does Theseus tell the queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
2. Describe what happens to make Queen Persephone cry in Book 2: Chapter 2.
3. Evaluate Theseus' actions, concentrating on how much he has matured as king.
4. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Aigeus at their first meeting.
5. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
6. Explain the significance of Theseus' grandfather sacrificing the king horse.
7. Evaluate the impact of Theseus' relationship with Simo, describing how this relationship helped Theseus to grow.
8. Describe two different ways Persephone tries to have Theseus killed.
9. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
10. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a literary tool used in The King Must Die. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it's used to foretell events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Theseus' great leadership brings loyalty from his men. There are many different examples of leaders commanding respect and using power throughout the novel. Explain how being a great leader can bring loyalty, citing examples from the text. Theseus and Asterion are both leaders. Compare the different ways they command respect using examples.
Essay Topic 3
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
This section contains 1,314 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)