|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the king's woman?
2. Why must the entire town watch Theseus and the queen?
3. How are Theseus and his friend traveling to Athens?
4. What is the name of the man who kills Theseus' friend?
5. After a quarrel, what does Theseus offer to do for the queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of Theseus' grandfather sacrificing the king horse.
2. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
3. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
4. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
5. Describe what happens to make Queen Persephone cry in Book 2: Chapter 2.
6. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
7. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather as Theseus grows from boy to man.
8. Describe how Theseus' parents came together.
9. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
10. Explain how Theseus' chariot crashes on the battlefield.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
King Minos is the ruler of Crete, Theseus is also a leader and ruler of many people.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Minos and Theseus. How are they similar and how are they different as rulers?
Part 2) Explain why Minos' character is important to the story. How does he affect Theseus?
Part 3) Besides Theseus, what ruler from the story do you like the most and why (Aigeus, Pittheus, Persephone, Asterion, Minos)?
Essay Topic 2
Theseus' great leadership brings loyalty from his men. There are many different examples of leaders commanding respect and using power throughout the novel. Explain how being a great leader can bring loyalty, citing examples from the text. Theseus and Asterion are both leaders. Compare the different ways they command respect using examples.
Essay Topic 3
In Eleusis Queen Persephone rules, and the people care nothing for the king. Queen Persephone is very intelligent and powerful.
Part 1) Describe what kind of leader the queen is. What are her beliefs, strengths and weaknesses?
Part 2) Describe how Queen Persephone's character changes throughout the story; cite examples from the text.
Part 3) Explain how Queen Persephone is important to the overall story and how she has affected Theseus' life; cite examples from the text.
This section contains 1,283 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)