|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the oracle announce about Theseus' journey?
2. Why does Theseus decide to make friends with one of the neighboring kingdoms?
3. What is the name of the queen's brother?
4. How is Theseus' grandfather feeling when Theseus comes to visit him?
5. What does Theseus discover when reaching the palace?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
2. Describe how Theseus' parents came together.
3. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
4. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
5. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
6. Explain how Theseus' chariot crashes on the battlefield.
7. Evaluate the impact of Theseus' relationship with Simo, describing how this relationship helped Theseus to grow.
8. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
9. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
10. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The narrator of The King Must Die is also a participant in the story. Analyze how different the story would be if told from an observer and non-participant point of view.
Essay Topic 2
The gods are an essential component in The King Must Die in great and small ways.
Part 1) What are some examples from the text that show Theseus' devotion to his deity? How do his beliefs differ from the other characters?
Part 2) How can straying away from the gods be seen as forgetting what is important in life? What do the gods represent to the people (like in Eleusis and Troizen)?
Part 3) Crete is destroyed by an earthquake. Can this be seen as the god's wrath against a city that doesn't believe anymore? Is Theseus successful in life because of his strong beliefs?
Essay Topic 3
Honor is a powerful theme throughout The King Must Die; some characters have honor and some do not.
Part 1) Define honor, also describing why it's important to be a person with honor.
Part 2) Explain why Theseus is considered a man of honor and Asterion is not. Cite examples from the book.
Part 3) What does honor mean in society today? Are people as honorable in this era?
This section contains 1,315 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)