|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Theseus' dream, what does he use to move the rock?
2. After he returns home from battle, what does Theseus tell the queen?
3. How does Theseus' grandfather feel when he learns Theseus didn't go on the ship?
4. Why does Theseus' mother not want Theseus to tell anyone along his journey who he is?
5. What does the queen announce the oracle has proclaimed about Theseus' coming?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to make Queen Persephone cry in Book 2: Chapter 2.
2. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
3. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
4. Describe how Theseus' parents came together.
5. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
6. Describe how Theseus' changes the government of Eleusis.
7. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather as Theseus grows from boy to man.
8. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
9. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
10. Explain the significance of Theseus' grandfather sacrificing the king horse.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aigeus is Theseus' father and the king of Athens; their relationship is an important element to the novel.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Aigeus and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different. Give some examples from the text.
Part 2) Explain whether you believe it a good thing that Aigeus sent Theseus away as a child. Should he have tried to raise him?
Part 3) Who do you think should have been the ruler in the end if Aigeus hadn't committed suicide? Aigeus or Theseus?
Essay Topic 2
Theseus' character travels through many areas of ancient Greece, from Troizen to Eleusis to Athens to Crete. The setting of The King Must Die is very important to the story.
Part 1) Define setting, describing the different settings throughout the text.
Part 2) Explain how important the setting is to the plot of the story.
Part 3) Compare the setting of this novel to another novel. Was the setting simple or complex?
Essay Topic 3
Asterion is Theseus' archenemy in The King Must Die; their differences are important to the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Asterion and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) Describe what type of leaders these men are, what do they inspire in their subjects?
Part 3) Explain why Asterion is important for Theseus' growth.
This section contains 1,265 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)