|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After a quarrel, what does Theseus offer to do for the queen?
2. Why does Aigeus command the king and the priestess to keep Theseus' identity hidden?
3. Why must the entire town watch Theseus and the queen?
4. Why does Theseus' mother need to give herself to the first man that is sent by the gods?
5. How does Theseus' grandfather feel when he learns Theseus didn't go on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
2. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
3. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
4. Describe what happens to make Queen Persephone cry in Book 2: Chapter 2.
5. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
6. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
7. Describe two things that Theseus and Dexios encounter on Isthmus Road.
8. Explain why the true identity of Theseus' lineage was hidden.
9. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
10. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is a literary tool used in The King Must Die. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it's used to foretell events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
Essay Topic 3
Theseus' great leadership brings loyalty from his men. There are many different examples of leaders commanding respect and using power throughout the novel. Explain how being a great leader can bring loyalty, citing examples from the text. Theseus and Asterion are both leaders. Compare the different ways they command respect using examples.
This section contains 1,175 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)