|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who seeks to take the throne from Aigeus?
2. What does the queen's brother try to give Theseus' men after they defeat the city?
3. How does the queen act when Theseus leaves for battle?
4. Where does Theseus' father rule?
5. What do the people of the town believe must happen every year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather as Theseus grows from boy to man.
2. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
3. Describe the House of the Axe and how Theseus feels about being there.
4. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
5. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
6. Describe how Theseus gets the bull dancers and Ariadne out of the palace before it collapses.
7. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
8. Describe what happens to make Queen Persephone cry in Book 2: Chapter 2.
9. Recall what Theseus feels Poseidon commanded him to do when returning to Athens.
10. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
Essay Topic 1
The connection between Theseus and Poseidon is essential to the plot of the book, because Poseidon affects Theseus' entire life. Describe the connection between Poseidon and Theseus, and cite examples from the book. Describe attributes that Theseus has gained from his connection to Poseidon. Explain how Poseidon has affected Theseus' life, and cite several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
There are four different societies depicted in The King Must Die: Troizen, Eleusis, Athens, and Crete. Choose two to compare and contrast in an essay. What deities do the people worship? What rituals do they perform? How does Theseus feel about each society? Which society would you choose to be a member of if you lived in that era?
Essay Topic 3
Asterion is Theseus' archenemy in The King Must Die; their differences are important to the story.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Asterion and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different? Give examples from the text.
Part 2) Describe what type of leaders these men are, what do they inspire in their subjects?
Part 3) Explain why Asterion is important for Theseus' growth.
This section contains 2,333 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)