|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus do to the chariot driver?
2. How does the queen act when Theseus leaves for battle?
3. Why does Theseus choose not to travel to Athens on the ship?
4. Who does Theseus' mother reveal to be his father?
5. What is the name of the first castle Theseus comes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Justify why Theseus obeys Poseidon's command.
2. Describe two things that Theseus and Dexios encounter on Isthmus Road.
3. Describe the connection between Theseus and Poseidon.
4. Describe one of the customs that is performed in Eleusis every year.
5. Describe how Xanthos tries to undermine Theseus after the first battle.
6. Describe what King Aigeus does after seeing Theseus' ship returning to Athens.
7. Explain why Theseus is feeling uneasy the day following Herakles death.
8. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
9. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
10. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
Essay Topic 1
The connection between Theseus and Poseidon is essential to the plot of the book, because Poseidon affects Theseus' entire life. Describe the connection between Poseidon and Theseus, and cite examples from the book. Describe attributes that Theseus has gained from his connection to Poseidon. Explain how Poseidon has affected Theseus' life, and cite several examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Honor is a powerful theme throughout The King Must Die; some characters have honor and some do not.
Part 1) Define honor, also describing why it's important to be a person with honor.
Part 2) Explain why Theseus is considered a man of honor and Asterion is not. Cite examples from the book.
Part 3) What does honor mean in society today? Are people as honorable in this era?
Essay Topic 3
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
This section contains 2,109 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)