|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Theseus' house called?
2. Who is the queen of the town Theseus travels to?
3. What does the queen do after her fight with Theseus?
4. After Theseus' friend is killed, he comes to a camp of _________.
5. Who seeks to take the throne from Aigeus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
2. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Aigeus at their first meeting.
3. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
4. Describe one of the customs that is performed in Eleusis every year.
5. Describe two things that Theseus and Dexios encounter on Isthmus Road.
6. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather as Theseus grows from boy to man.
7. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
8. Describe two different ways Persephone tries to have Theseus killed.
9. Describe what happens to make Queen Persephone cry in Book 2: Chapter 2.
10. Explain how Theseus' chariot crashes on the battlefield.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is a literary tool used in The King Must Die. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it's used to foretell events to come.
Essay Topic 3
What would you have done if you were forced to become a bull dancer? Would you have taken a leadership position like Theseus? What position would you have preferred to have and why (either leaper, chaser, or catcher)?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)