|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must the entire town watch Theseus and the queen?
2. Whom does Theseus send away on a boat?
3. Who gives Theseus a chariot driver?
4. Why does Aigeus ask the king if he can go to the priestess?
5. What does the queen's brother try to give Theseus' men after they defeat the city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe two different ways Persephone tries to have Theseus killed.
2. Explain why the true identity of Theseus' lineage was hidden.
3. Compare two events where Theseus is somewhat harsh in his mannerisms.
4. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
5. Explain the significance of Theseus' grandfather sacrificing the king horse.
6. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
7. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
8. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
9. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather as Theseus grows from boy to man.
10. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The King Must Die is based on the legend of Theseus.
Part 1) How different would the story be if it was written just like the legend?
Part 2) Which version do you prefer and why?
Part 3) Do you think the legend could be true, or what aspects of the story do you believe to be true?
Essay Topic 2
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of The King Must Die is also a participant in the story. Analyze how different the story would be if told from an observer and non-participant point of view.
This section contains 1,294 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)