|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus discover when reaching the palace?
2. When Theseus is 7-years-old, what animal does his grandfather sacrifice in a ceremony?
3. Who is Theseus' father the son of?
4. Why does Aigeus ask the king if he can go to the priestess?
5. Where does Theseus' father rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
2. Evaluate Theseus' actions, concentrating on how much he has matured as king.
3. Evaluate how Theseus feels about women, giving two examples.
4. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
5. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
6. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
7. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
8. Describe two things that Theseus and Dexios encounter on Isthmus Road.
9. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Aigeus at their first meeting.
10. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Theseus is a good and fair leader, and he believes in justice. Justice is an important theme throughout The King Must Die.
Part 1) Explain the meaning of justice.
Part 2) Describe some examples of justice from the book. What does justice mean to Theseus?
Part 3) Compare an example of justice from the book to a moment in your own life. Do you believe as Theseus does?
Essay Topic 2
Ariadne is an important character in The King Must Die, and her relationship with Theseus is important in the story.
Choose either topic 1 or 2 to write about:
1) Compare and contrast the characters of Ariadne and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different?
2) What do you think would have happened if Ariadne had not been in the story? Would the outcome have changed? Cite examples to show Ariadne's influence on Theseus.
Essay Topic 3
The narrator of The King Must Die is also a participant in the story. Analyze how different the story would be if told from an observer and non-participant point of view.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)