|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom do Theseus and his friend run into as they begin their journey?
2. Of what city is Theseus' mother the chief priestess?
3. After a quarrel, what does Theseus offer to do for the queen?
4. Who is the queen of the town Theseus travels to?
5. When Theseus is 7-years-old, what animal does his grandfather sacrifice in a ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
2. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
3. Describe one of the customs that is performed in Eleusis every year.
4. Describe the relationship between Theseus and Kannadis, concentrating on how Kannadis helps Theseus to understand Poseidon.
5. Describe two different ways Persephone tries to have Theseus killed.
6. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
7. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
8. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
9. Explain the importance of Theseus' dream after a harper comes to the palace.
10. Describe how Theseus' parents came together.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The city of Crete is destroyed at the end of the book because the people had lost their belief in the gods. Compare and contrast the society of Crete with our society today. How are they similar? How are they different? What could people do to change society today?
Essay Topic 2
Aigeus is Theseus' father and the king of Athens; their relationship is an important element to the novel.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Aigeus and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different. Give some examples from the text.
Part 2) Explain whether you believe it a good thing that Aigeus sent Theseus away as a child. Should he have tried to raise him?
Part 3) Who do you think should have been the ruler in the end if Aigeus hadn't committed suicide? Aigeus or Theseus?
Essay Topic 3
Honor is a powerful theme throughout The King Must Die; some characters have honor and some do not.
Part 1) Define honor, also describing why it's important to be a person with honor.
Part 2) Explain why Theseus is considered a man of honor and Asterion is not. Cite examples from the book.
Part 3) What does honor mean in society today? Are people as honorable in this era?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)