|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Theseus go to war against?
2. Who requested the death of Theseus?
3. What is the name of the queen's brother?
4. How many women had Aigeus been married to before he met Theseus' mother?
5. What does Theseus do to the man who kills his friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Aigeus at their first meeting.
2. Explain why the true identity of Theseus' lineage was hidden.
3. Recall a situation in Chapters 1-4 where Theseus' pride gets in the way.
4. Recall what the oracle announces about Theseus' journey.
5. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
6. Analyze the relationship between Theseus and Queen Persephone, concentrating on how she makes him feel.
7. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
8. Explain the importance of Theseus' dream after a harper comes to the palace.
9. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
10. Describe how Theseus' changes the government of Eleusis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aigeus is Theseus' father and the king of Athens; their relationship is an important element to the novel.
Part 1) Compare and contrast the characters of Aigeus and Theseus. How are they similar? How are they different. Give some examples from the text.
Part 2) Explain whether you believe it a good thing that Aigeus sent Theseus away as a child. Should he have tried to raise him?
Part 3) Who do you think should have been the ruler in the end if Aigeus hadn't committed suicide? Aigeus or Theseus?
Essay Topic 2
Honor is a powerful theme throughout The King Must Die; some characters have honor and some do not.
Part 1) Define honor, also describing why it's important to be a person with honor.
Part 2) Explain why Theseus is considered a man of honor and Asterion is not. Cite examples from the book.
Part 3) What does honor mean in society today? Are people as honorable in this era?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is a literary tool used in The King Must Die. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how it's used to foretell events to come.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)