|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the children of the king and queen of Crete?
(a) Ariadne and Herakles.
(b) Theseus and Asterion.
(c) Asterion and Ariadne.
(d) Herakles and Corinth.
2. What does Theseus' father want to do for Theseus' birthday?
(a) Have a ceremony in his honor.
(b) Have a great feast.
(c) Create a monument in his honor.
(d) Go on a trip.
3. What is the name of the palace where the bull dancers will be training?
4. What happens to the bull after the dance?
(a) The bull is sacrificed.
(b) The bull is injured.
(c) The bull is never used in bull dancing again.
(d) The bull falls in the dirt and dies.
5. What is the king wearing when the Theseus and his kinsmen first see him in the House of the Axe?
(a) An ornate dragon mask.
(b) An ornate eagle mask.
(c) An ornate bull mask.
(d) An ornate horse mask.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the queen of Crete treat her son when he was young?
2. Who does Theseus' lover take him to see in a secret lair under the palace?
3. What is Theseus and the other cranes considered to be?
4. How did the queen of Crete treat her daughter when she was young?
5. Why are Theseus and the bull dancers smuggling things?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
2. Explain what the old woman in Aigeus' kingdom says to Theseus.
3. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
4. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
5. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
6. Explain the relationship between Theseus and Ariadne.
7. Recall how the dancers obtain their bull.
8. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
9. Analyze the differences between Theseus and Asterion.
10. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)