|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does the war last?
(a) Two years.
(b) A year.
(c) Six months.
(d) Nearly a month.
2. After arriving in Crete, what does the man who slapped Theseus across the face throw into the ocean?
(a) A stone.
(b) His sword.
(c) His ring.
(d) His shoe.
3. In what month are the bull dancers trained to leap and do cartwheels?
(a) First month.
(b) Fourth month.
(c) Second month.
(d) Third month.
4. Why does Theseus' lover begin to cry?
(a) She and Theseus have quarreled.
(b) She believes he's worthy to be a king of an entire kingdom.
(c) She feels guilty for being with Theseus.
(d) Theseus struck her.
5. How did the queen of Crete treat her son when he was young?
(a) He was liked but not favored.
(b) He was held dear by his mother.
(c) He was treated as an outcast and told he was nasty.
(d) He was ignored but not treated badly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color of flag does Theseus' father ask Theseus to run up on the ship if he returns?
2. What is one place that Theseus finds useful on his way to meet his lover?
3. What happens when Theseus and his kinsmen are allowed to watch the bull dance?
4. What is the king wearing when the Theseus and his kinsmen first see him in the House of the Axe?
5. What does Theseus and his kinsmen practice on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
2. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
3. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
4. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
5. Explain what Theseus learns about the customs and prophesies of the Creates.
6. Explain why Theseus is chosen to be the leader of the cranes.
7. Recall what Ariadne tells Theseus about King Minos, explaining how he became sick and why.
8. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
9. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
10. Evaluate how much Theseus has grown as a leader in Crete.
This section contains 1,225 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)