|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month are the bull dancers trained to leap and do cartwheels?
(a) First month.
(b) Fourth month.
(c) Third month.
(d) Second month.
2. What does the man who slapped Theseus across the face call Poseidon?
(a) Father of the sea.
(b) King of the sea.
3. What is the name of the bull dancer who jumps up and over the bull?
(a) A dancer.
(b) A catcher.
(c) A chaser.
(d) A leaper.
4. How do the people of Crete treat Theseus and his kinsmen when they arrive?
(a) They are applauded and followed around the city.
(b) They are prodded and pinched like cattle.
(c) They are nervous and shy.
(d) They are mocked and ridiculed.
5. How is Theseus feeling while waiting to hear news of the king's death?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Theseus' lover take him to see in a secret lair under the palace?
2. What is the life expectancy of a bull dancer?
3. How long does the war last?
4. How did the queen of Crete treat her son when he was young?
5. What happens in the last month of bull dancer training?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Asterion might have a grievance against Theseus.
2. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
3. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
4. Analyze the differences between Theseus and Asterion.
5. Describe the relationship between Ariadne and Asterion, concentrating on how their mother treated them.
6. Describe how Theseus is hurt during a bull dance.
7. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
8. Explain what Theseus learns about Asterion's true identity.
9. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
10. Describe an incident in Crete where Theseus shows compassion.
This section contains 1,161 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)