|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the queen of Crete treat her son when he was young?
(a) He was held dear by his mother.
(b) He was treated as an outcast and told he was nasty.
(c) He was ignored but not treated badly.
(d) He was liked but not favored.
2. What does one of the girl dancers confess to Theseus?
(a) She is bull shy.
(b) She wants to be a leaper.
(c) She wants to die first.
(d) She is terrified of the bull.
3. How long does the war last?
(a) Six months.
(b) A year.
(c) Nearly a month.
(d) Two years.
4. After Theseus and his kinsmen have practiced and before they are ready for their dance, who comes to check on them?
5. Why did someone give the bull medicine to make him mad?
(a) This person wanted all of the bull dancers to die.
(b) This person wanted Theseus dead.
(c) This person wanted the bull dead.
(d) This person wagered money on a death in the arena.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people of Crete treat Theseus and his kinsmen when they arrive?
2. Who does Theseus watch at the bull fight and decides she is human?
3. What is the name of the girl wearing a goddess outfit in Crete that Theseus is attracted to?
4. Why is Theseus proclaimed the leader of the bull dancers in Crete?
5. What is the name of the bull god?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Theseus does when the men from Crete come for their tribute and why.
2. Recall what Theseus learns about bull dancing while traveling to Crete.
3. Describe bull dancing, concentrating on the different roles of each dancer.
4. Explain why Theseus' bull, Herakles, was acting funny.
5. Define the relationship between Theseus and the cranes.
6. Explain what happens to make Theseus force the cranes to renew their vows to each other.
7. Explain what Theseus does that makes Ariadne cry in Book 4: Chapter 7.
8. Describe the House of the Axe and how Theseus feels about being there.
9. Describe King Minos and what he tells Theseus in their first meeting.
10. Describe what Theseus and the cranes do to cause a scene when they arrive at Crete.
This section contains 1,193 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)