|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After a quarrel, what does Theseus offer to do for the queen?
(a) To beat her because she has forgotten that she is a woman.
(b) To leave the town.
(c) To buy her something new.
(d) To help her with her problem.
2. Why did King Minos' men take the smaller boys from Troizen?
(a) To be slaves for entertainment to run with the bulls.
(b) To work in the fields as laborers.
(c) To train them to be soldiers.
(d) To punish the people of Troizen.
3. Why does Aigeus ask the king if he can go to the priestess?
(a) He has a great attraction for her and would like to make her his wife.
(b) He would like to ask her for advice.
(c) He has no sons of his own and is certain the gods would grant one of this union.
(d) He wants to become king.
4. What happens when Theseus stomps the ground after Simo makes fun of him?
(a) An earthquake begins.
(b) He injures his foot.
(c) A giant hole forms.
(d) It begins to rain.
5. What do the people of the town believe must happen every year?
(a) A new queen must be crowned.
(b) A new king must be crowned.
(c) The queen must have another child.
(d) The queen must sacrifice one of her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Theseus' mother not want Theseus to tell anyone along his journey who he is?
2. How are Theseus and his friend traveling to Athens?
3. How does Theseus' father agree to treat the people in Eleusis?
4. What does the king violently stop Theseus from doing?
5. Why does Theseus choose not to travel to Athens on the ship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Distinguish the difference between Theseus killing the man on the side of the road and his killing Skiron.
2. Describe how Theseus' changes the government of Eleusis.
3. Describe how Xanthos tries to undermine Theseus after the first battle.
4. Explain Theseus' plan to get out of the kingdom without shaming his name.
5. Describe the connection between Theseus and Poseidon.
6. Explain why Theseus chose not to go on the ship where his grandfather had attained him a spot .
7. Explain why Theseus becomes angry with his mother after she tells him to lift the stone.
8. Define the relationship between Theseus and Xanthos.
9. Describe what happens to make Queen Persephone cry in Book 2: Chapter 2.
10. Recall what happens when Theseus meets Aigeus for the first time.
This section contains 1,232 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)