|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where are Theseus and his kinsmen living in Crete?
(a) The dungeons.
(b) The Bull Court.
(c) The castle.
(d) A house in the country.
2. How do the people of Crete treat Theseus and his kinsmen when they arrive?
(a) They are prodded and pinched like cattle.
(b) They are nervous and shy.
(c) They are mocked and ridiculed.
(d) They are applauded and followed around the city.
3. What does Theseus' father want to do for Theseus' birthday?
(a) Create a monument in his honor.
(b) Have a great feast.
(c) Have a ceremony in his honor.
(d) Go on a trip.
4. After arriving in Crete, what does the man who slapped Theseus across the face throw into the ocean?
(a) His ring.
(b) His sword.
(c) A stone.
(d) His shoe.
5. Why are Theseus and the bull dancers smuggling things?
(a) They are planning to take a stand against the king's son.
(b) They are planning on helping all of the bull dancers.
(c) They want to become wealthy.
(d) They are planning on escaping.
6. What is the king wearing when the Theseus and his kinsmen first see him in the House of the Axe?
(a) An ornate horse mask.
(b) An ornate bull mask.
(c) An ornate eagle mask.
(d) An ornate dragon mask.
7. What does one of the girl dancers confess to Theseus?
(a) She wants to be a leaper.
(b) She is terrified of the bull.
(c) She is bull shy.
(d) She wants to die first.
8. During the bull dance, where do Theseus and another of the dancers get caught?
(a) Underneath the bull.
(b) In the bull's horns.
(c) Cornered against the wall by the bull.
(d) In the bull's front legs.
9. What is Theseus offered at the dinner party?
(a) Gold and jewels.
(b) Horse and chariot.
(c) Sword and shield.
(d) His freedom.
10. As a bull dancer, what does Theseus decide he wants to be?
(a) A leaper.
(b) A dancer.
(c) A chaser.
(d) A catcher.
11. Who is the man that threw the item in the sea for Theseus to retrieve?
12. What does Theseus name their bull?
13. What does the man who slapped Theseus across the face call Poseidon?
(c) Father of the sea.
(d) King of the sea.
14. What is the name of the girl wearing a goddess outfit in Crete that Theseus is attracted to?
15. Why does the king ask Theseus to take his life?
(a) To fool others into believing the king's son killed the king.
(b) So his daughter can gain the crown.
(c) So his son will be unable to gain the crown.
(d) To end his suffering.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the people of Crete come to watch the bull dancers train?
2. What two things will end the bull dancing?
3. What gift does Theseus' father give him?
4. Why won't Theseus go to his lover the night before the bull dance?
5. Who are the children of the king and queen of Crete?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)