|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Theseus not accept the gifts at the dinner party?
(a) He is disgraced and feels unworthy.
(b) He is angry and does not want them.
(c) He is a slave and he's unable to accept.
(d) He is royal blood and can't accept gifts from a man that struck him.
2. Why did someone give the bull medicine to make him mad?
(a) This person wanted Theseus dead.
(b) This person wanted the bull dead.
(c) This person wanted all of the bull dancers to die.
(d) This person wagered money on a death in the arena.
3. During the bull dance, where do Theseus and another of the dancers get caught?
(a) In the bull's horns.
(b) Cornered against the wall by the bull.
(c) In the bull's front legs.
(d) Underneath the bull.
4. What happens to the bull after the dance?
(a) The bull is never used in bull dancing again.
(b) The bull is injured.
(c) The bull falls in the dirt and dies.
(d) The bull is sacrificed.
5. Why does Theseus' lover begin to cry?
(a) She and Theseus have quarreled.
(b) She believes he's worthy to be a king of an entire kingdom.
(c) She feels guilty for being with Theseus.
(d) Theseus struck her.
6. Where are Theseus and his kinsmen living in Crete?
(a) The dungeons.
(b) The Bull Court.
(c) A house in the country.
(d) The castle.
7. Who tells Theseus that the gods favor him?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) An old woman.
8. What does Theseus learn about the king's son from the other bull dancers?
(a) That the man wants to save Theseus.
(b) That the man wants to kill Theseus.
(c) That the man is not the King's real son.
(d) That the man is the King's son.
9. Who calls Theseus to a secret meeting chamber?
10. What is the king wearing when the Theseus and his kinsmen first see him in the House of the Axe?
(a) An ornate bull mask.
(b) An ornate dragon mask.
(c) An ornate eagle mask.
(d) An ornate horse mask.
11. Theseus has heard that if a dancer lasts _____ years the goddess sets them free.
12. Who are the children of the king and queen of Crete?
(a) Herakles and Corinth.
(b) Ariadne and Herakles.
(c) Theseus and Asterion.
(d) Asterion and Ariadne.
13. What angered Poseidon?
(a) Theseus' father dishonored him.
(b) Theseus dishonored him.
(c) Theseus' father kept Theseus' name out of the drawing.
(d) Theseus' father put Theseus' name in the drawing.
14. After three months of bull dancing, who calls Theseus to his home to dine?
15. What is the name of the palace where the bull dancers will be training?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the bull god?
2. Why is the bull never to be killed or hurt?
3. What does the man who slapped Theseus across the face call Poseidon?
4. What happens to Theseus after the bull dance?
5. What disease afflicts the king of Crete?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)