|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month are Theseus and his kinsmen allowed to see a bull dance for the first time?
(a) Second month.
(b) Third month.
(c) Fourth month.
(d) First month.
2. What does Theseus think of the person who tells him the gods favor him?
(a) This person is funny.
(b) This person is old and senile.
(c) This person is gentle and kind.
(d) This person is cruel.
3. Why did someone give the bull medicine to make him mad?
(a) This person wanted Theseus dead.
(b) This person wagered money on a death in the arena.
(c) This person wanted all of the bull dancers to die.
(d) This person wanted the bull dead.
4. What disease afflicts the king of Crete?
(b) Lyme disease.
(c) Heart disease.
5. Who wants the king of Crete to die and is the one who is believed to have infected him?
(c) The queen.
6. What happens to the bull after the dance?
(a) The bull is injured.
(b) The bull falls in the dirt and dies.
(c) The bull is sacrificed.
(d) The bull is never used in bull dancing again.
7. What does the man who slapped Theseus across the face call Poseidon?
(a) King of the sea.
(b) Father of the sea.
8. What two things will end the bull dancing?
(a) The bull dies or the dancer decides to stop.
(b) The bull dies or the dancer gets tired.
(c) The bull is too tired to chase or the dancer dies by the bull.
(d) The bull is wounded or the dancer is wounded.
9. During the bull dance, where do Theseus and another of the dancers get caught?
(a) Cornered against the wall by the bull.
(b) In the bull's front legs.
(c) In the bull's horns.
(d) Underneath the bull.
10. What does Theseus' father want to do for Theseus' birthday?
(a) Have a great feast.
(b) Go on a trip.
(c) Create a monument in his honor.
(d) Have a ceremony in his honor.
11. When the man threw the item into the sea on the day that Theseus arrived, what was that a symbol of?
(a) A symbol to show that the king has wed the sea.
(b) A symbol to show that the king is more powerful than the sea.
(c) A symbol to show that the king is at peace with the sea.
(d) A symbol to show that the king is obedient to the sea.
12. What happens in the last month of bull dancer training?
(a) They must fight to see who will dance first with the bull.
(b) They get to pick their bull.
(c) They practice dancing with the bulls.
(d) They go to the pasture to get a bull, but they don't get to pick.
13. Why does Theseus' lover begin to cry?
(a) She feels guilty for being with Theseus.
(b) She believes he's worthy to be a king of an entire kingdom.
(c) She and Theseus have quarreled.
(d) Theseus struck her.
14. Why are Theseus and the bull dancers smuggling things?
(a) They want to become wealthy.
(b) They are planning to take a stand against the king's son.
(c) They are planning on helping all of the bull dancers.
(d) They are planning on escaping.
15. Why do the people of Crete come to watch the bull dancers train?
(a) To be entertained.
(b) To heckle and taunt them.
(c) To encourage them.
(d) To make bets.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the queen of Crete treat her son when he was young?
2. In the first three months, how many members do the cranes lose bull dancing?
3. Why does Theseus take a different path every night on the way to meet his lover?
4. Why is Theseus proclaimed the leader of the bull dancers in Crete?
5. Who does Theseus' lover take him to see in a secret lair under the palace?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)