|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the bull dancer who jumps up and over the bull?
(a) A dancer.
(b) A leaper.
(c) A chaser.
(d) A catcher.
2. What does Theseus' father want to do for Theseus' birthday?
(a) Have a great feast.
(b) Have a ceremony in his honor.
(c) Create a monument in his honor.
(d) Go on a trip.
3. After arriving in Crete, what does the man who slapped Theseus across the face throw into the ocean?
(a) His sword.
(b) His ring.
(c) His shoe.
(d) A stone.
4. Who does Theseus watch at the bull fight and decides she is human?
(a) Spirit Goddess.
(b) Moon Goddess.
(c) Earth Goddess.
(d) Sea Goddess.
5. What angered Poseidon?
(a) Theseus dishonored him.
(b) Theseus' father dishonored him.
(c) Theseus' father kept Theseus' name out of the drawing.
(d) Theseus' father put Theseus' name in the drawing.
6. What gift does Theseus' father give him?
(a) A sword and shield.
(b) A chariot and horses.
(c) A castle.
(d) A ship.
7. What two things will end the bull dancing?
(a) The bull is wounded or the dancer is wounded.
(b) The bull dies or the dancer gets tired.
(c) The bull is too tired to chase or the dancer dies by the bull.
(d) The bull dies or the dancer decides to stop.
8. How is Theseus feeling while waiting to hear news of the king's death?
9. How do the people of Crete treat Theseus and his kinsmen when they arrive?
(a) They are prodded and pinched like cattle.
(b) They are applauded and followed around the city.
(c) They are mocked and ridiculed.
(d) They are nervous and shy.
10. What is the king wearing when the Theseus and his kinsmen first see him in the House of the Axe?
(a) An ornate dragon mask.
(b) An ornate bull mask.
(c) An ornate eagle mask.
(d) An ornate horse mask.
11. What is the name of the bull god?
12. What is the life expectancy of a bull dancer?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Three months.
(c) One month.
(d) Six months.
13. Who are the children of the king and queen of Crete?
(a) Ariadne and Herakles.
(b) Asterion and Ariadne.
(c) Theseus and Asterion.
(d) Herakles and Corinth.
14. When the man threw the item into the sea on the day that Theseus arrived, what was that a symbol of?
(a) A symbol to show that the king is at peace with the sea.
(b) A symbol to show that the king has wed the sea.
(c) A symbol to show that the king is obedient to the sea.
(d) A symbol to show that the king is more powerful than the sea.
15. Where does Theseus go after killing the king?
(a) To meet with his kinsmen.
(b) To his lover's chambers.
(c) To practice bull dancing.
(d) Back to his own bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus learn about the king's son from the other bull dancers?
2. After Theseus and his kinsmen have practiced and before they are ready for their dance, who comes to check on them?
3. What is the name of the palace where the bull dancers will be training?
4. What do Theseus and the bull dancers smuggle and begin to hide?
5. What happens when Theseus and his kinsmen are allowed to watch the bull dance?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)