|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the queen of Crete treat her son when he was young?
(a) He was held dear by his mother.
(b) He was liked but not favored.
(c) He was treated as an outcast and told he was nasty.
(d) He was ignored but not treated badly.
2. What is the name of the bull god?
3. What is the name of the palace where the bull dancers will be training?
4. Why is the bull never to be killed or hurt?
(a) He is the king's favorite animal.
(b) The god dwells in him.
(c) He is the queen's favorite animal.
(d) It would bring bad luck to the kingdom.
5. How many months will the bull dancers have to train?
(a) Three months.
(b) Two weeks.
(c) Six months.
(d) One month.
6. In what month are Theseus and his kinsmen allowed to see a bull dance for the first time?
(a) Third month.
(b) Second month.
(c) Fourth month.
(d) First month.
7. What is Theseus offered at the dinner party?
(a) Gold and jewels.
(b) Sword and shield.
(c) Horse and chariot.
(d) His freedom.
8. What is the life expectancy of a bull dancer?
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) Twelve months.
(d) Three months.
9. Why won't Theseus go to his lover the night before the bull dance?
(a) He must keep his pledge to his fellow cranes.
(b) He must stay away because he's being followed.
(c) He is angry with her.
(d) He no longer desires her.
10. What is Theseus and the other cranes considered to be?
11. What is the name of the girl wearing a goddess outfit in Crete that Theseus is attracted to?
12. Why does the king ask Theseus to take his life?
(a) So his son will be unable to gain the crown.
(b) To fool others into believing the king's son killed the king.
(c) So his daughter can gain the crown.
(d) To end his suffering.
13. Who is the man that threw the item in the sea for Theseus to retrieve?
14. When the man threw the item into the sea on the day that Theseus arrived, what was that a symbol of?
(a) A symbol to show that the king is at peace with the sea.
(b) A symbol to show that the king has wed the sea.
(c) A symbol to show that the king is more powerful than the sea.
(d) A symbol to show that the king is obedient to the sea.
15. As a bull dancer, what does Theseus decide he wants to be?
(a) A leaper.
(b) A dancer.
(c) A chaser.
(d) A catcher.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does one of the girl dancers confess to Theseus?
2. In the first three months, how many members do the cranes lose bull dancing?
3. Who are the children of the king and queen of Crete?
4. What angered Poseidon?
5. Why does Theseus' lover begin to cry?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)