|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Theseus has heard that if a dancer lasts _____ years the goddess sets them free.
2. After Theseus and his kinsmen have practiced and before they are ready for their dance, who comes to check on them?
3. Why do the people of Crete come to watch the bull dancers train?
(a) To be entertained.
(b) To heckle and taunt them.
(c) To make bets.
(d) To encourage them.
4. What does Theseus learn about the king's son from the other bull dancers?
(a) That the man wants to save Theseus.
(b) That the man is not the King's real son.
(c) That the man is the King's son.
(d) That the man wants to kill Theseus.
5. How many months will the bull dancers have to train?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) One month.
(c) Six months.
(d) Three months.
6. After arriving in Crete, what does the man who slapped Theseus across the face throw into the ocean?
(a) His shoe.
(b) His ring.
(c) A stone.
(d) His sword.
7. For what have the Crete men come to Athens?
(a) To barter goods.
(b) A tribute of men and women.
(c) A tribute of young boys and girls.
(d) To start a war.
8. What is the name of the girl wearing a goddess outfit in Crete that Theseus is attracted to?
9. What is the life expectancy of a bull dancer?
(a) One month.
(b) Six months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Twelve months.
10. Where does Theseus go after killing the king?
(a) To practice bull dancing.
(b) To his lover's chambers.
(c) Back to his own bed.
(d) To meet with his kinsmen.
11. In the first three months, how many members do the cranes lose bull dancing?
12. Who does the queen sleep with that angers the king?
(a) A young bull dancer.
(b) His brother.
(c) His best friend.
(d) A rival king.
13. What color of flag does Theseus' father ask Theseus to run up on the ship if he returns?
14. What angered Poseidon?
(a) Theseus' father dishonored him.
(b) Theseus' father kept Theseus' name out of the drawing.
(c) Theseus dishonored him.
(d) Theseus' father put Theseus' name in the drawing.
15. What does Theseus' father want to do for Theseus' birthday?
(a) Create a monument in his honor.
(b) Have a ceremony in his honor.
(c) Have a great feast.
(d) Go on a trip.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Theseus feeling while waiting to hear news of the king's death?
2. In what month are Theseus and his kinsmen allowed to see a bull dance for the first time?
3. What gift does Theseus' father give him?
4. When the man threw the item into the sea on the day that Theseus arrived, what was that a symbol of?
5. What does Theseus think of the person who tells him the gods favor him?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)