|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disease afflicts the king of Crete?
(a) Heart disease.
(b) Lyme disease.
2. Why does Theseus' father send an invitation to Theseus?
(a) To invite him to a banquet in his honor.
(b) To invite him to the celebration of his new son's birth.
(c) To invite Theseus' mother to come live in Athens.
(d) To invite Theseus' mother to a party.
3. Who wants the king of Crete to die and is the one who is believed to have infected him?
(c) The queen.
4. How do the people of Crete treat Theseus and his kinsmen when they arrive?
(a) They are applauded and followed around the city.
(b) They are nervous and shy.
(c) They are mocked and ridiculed.
(d) They are prodded and pinched like cattle.
5. In what month are Theseus and his kinsmen allowed to see a bull dance for the first time?
(a) First month.
(b) Second month.
(c) Third month.
(d) Fourth month.
6. Why does the king ask Theseus to take his life?
(a) To end his suffering.
(b) So his son will be unable to gain the crown.
(c) So his daughter can gain the crown.
(d) To fool others into believing the king's son killed the king.
7. What is the life expectancy of a bull dancer?
(a) Three months.
(b) One month.
(c) Six months.
(d) Twelve months.
8. What does Theseus think of the person who tells him the gods favor him?
(a) This person is cruel.
(b) This person is funny.
(c) This person is gentle and kind.
(d) This person is old and senile.
9. Why does Theseus not accept the gifts at the dinner party?
(a) He is a slave and he's unable to accept.
(b) He is disgraced and feels unworthy.
(c) He is royal blood and can't accept gifts from a man that struck him.
(d) He is angry and does not want them.
10. What happens in the last month of bull dancer training?
(a) They must fight to see who will dance first with the bull.
(b) They practice dancing with the bulls.
(c) They go to the pasture to get a bull, but they don't get to pick.
(d) They get to pick their bull.
11. During the bull dance, where do Theseus and another of the dancers get caught?
(a) In the bull's front legs.
(b) In the bull's horns.
(c) Underneath the bull.
(d) Cornered against the wall by the bull.
12. Who tells Theseus that the gods favor him?
(a) His mother.
(b) An old woman.
(c) His father.
13. What do Theseus and the bull dancers smuggle and begin to hide?
14. Why does Theseus take a different path every night on the way to meet his lover?
(a) To strengthen his body for bull dancing.
(b) So he can map out several places that he might need later on.
(c) To make sure no one is following him.
(d) To ward off bad spirits.
15. What is the name of the bull god?
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to the bull after the dance?
2. What is the name of the man who Theseus think is coming to punish him because he retrieved the item out of the sea?
3. With what does Theseus kill the king?
4. What name does Theseus and his kinsmen decide to call themselves?
5. What is one place that Theseus finds useful on his way to meet his lover?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)