|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Theseus discover when reaching the palace?
(a) The queen has killed herself.
(b) The queen waiting to kill him.
(c) The queen waiting in anticipation of his arrival.
(d) The queen is ill.
2. What does Theseus ask the king of the town just before taking his life?
(a) To please stop crying.
(b) To tell him the secrets of the town.
(c) To forgive him any sin for taking his life.
(d) To beg for mercy.
3. What do the people of the town pick someone to do every year?
(a) Kill the current queen.
(b) Kill the current king.
(c) Select a new queen.
(d) Sacrifice one of the queen's children.
4. How many women had Aigeus been married to before he met Theseus' mother?
5. What is the relationship of Diokles and Theseus?
(a) Uncle and nephew.
(c) Grandfather and grandson.
(d) Father and son.
6. Why does Theseus' mother not want Theseus to tell anyone along his journey who he is?
(a) She has many enemies that would kill him because he's her son.
(b) She fears a woman might seduce him because of his birthright.
(c) She worries he'd be robbed of his possessions.
(d) She fears they'd want him dead because he's heir to his father's kingdom.
7. Where does Aigeus want Theseus to go when he is able to get the items from under the stone?
8. As Theseus heads back to his people, what does he discover the queen ordered?
(a) A monument to be constructed in his honor.
(b) That he is to be killed.
(c) A special ceremony to celebrate his return.
(d) A banquet in his honor.
9. What does the king invite Theseus to drink with him?
(b) Fruit juice.
10. What does Theseus do to the chariot driver?
(a) He kills him.
(b) He ties him to a tree and leaves him.
(c) He makes him his slave.
(d) He shows mercy and lets him go.
11. Who does Theseus' mother reveal to be his father?
(c) King Pittheus.
12. What does Theseus hear the harper singing about?
(a) A city that moved great rocks and the methods they used.
(b) A city where great riches can be found.
(c) A city where potions can be found to heal the sick.
(d) A city that built great structures and the methods they used.
13. Why does Theseus choose not to travel to Athens on the ship?
(a) He's offended by the words of the ship's captain.
(b) He gets very sick on ships.
(c) He believes it would be faster to travel on land.
(d) He realizes that the ship is not big enough.
14. Who does Theseus find to leave his sword?
(a) He can't find anyone he trusts.
(d) The queen.
15. Whom does Theseus send away on a boat?
(a) The king of Athens.
(b) The soldiers of Eleusis.
(c) The queen and her children.
(d) The people of Eleusis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Theseus' mother need to give herself to the first man that is sent by the gods?
2. After Theseus talks to his grandfather, how many days is it until a ship arrives at Troizen to take him to Athens?
3. What does the entire town watch Theseus and the queen doing?
4. After Theseus' friend is killed, he comes to a camp of _________.
5. Why does Theseus' chariot crash?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)