|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who requested the death of Theseus?
2. What does Theseus and his men come upon at the end of the borders?
(a) The gangs and thieves have come to surrender.
(b) A deserted battlefield.
(c) The gangs and thieves have joined forces with another kingdom to fight.
(d) The gangs and thieves have rallied themselves to a battlefield to fight.
3. In the story that Theseus' grandfather tells him, what befalls the city?
(a) An earthquake.
(b) A flood.
(c) A drought.
(d) A plague.
4. What is the name of the man who kills Theseus' friend?
5. How does Theseus' father agree to treat the people in Eleusis?
(a) As servants.
(b) As better than Athenians.
(c) Beneath the people of Athens.
(d) As equals.
6. Why does Theseus' mother need to give herself to the first man that is sent by the gods?
(a) To atone for her past sins.
(b) To atone for the neglect given to certain gods.
(c) To prove her devotion to the gods.
(d) To prove her humility.
7. Why does Simo make fun of Theseus?
(a) He's small.
(b) He's skinny.
(c) He's slow.
(d) He's large.
8. From what god is Theseus told from birth that he is begotten?
9. What does Theseus ask the king of the town just before taking his life?
(a) To forgive him any sin for taking his life.
(b) To tell him the secrets of the town.
(c) To please stop crying.
(d) To beg for mercy.
10. Why does Theseus choose not to travel to Athens on the ship?
(a) He's offended by the words of the ship's captain.
(b) He gets very sick on ships.
(c) He believes it would be faster to travel on land.
(d) He realizes that the ship is not big enough.
11. What is the name of the other boy who comes to serve Poseidon?
12. Who is the queen of the town Theseus travels to?
13. As Theseus heads back to his people, what does he discover the queen ordered?
(a) A monument to be constructed in his honor.
(b) A special ceremony to celebrate his return.
(c) A banquet in his honor.
(d) That he is to be killed.
14. What does Theseus discover when reaching the palace?
(a) The queen is ill.
(b) The queen waiting in anticipation of his arrival.
(c) The queen waiting to kill him.
(d) The queen has killed herself.
15. Why does Theseus' chariot crash?
(a) One of the bronze lynch pins in Theseus' chariot had been replaced with a wax one.
(b) Theseus was run off course by the opposing army.
(c) Theseus' driver was driving recklessly.
(d) Another chariot crashed into Theseus' chariot.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the oracle announce about Theseus' journey?
2. What is the name of the first castle Theseus comes to?
3. What does the entire town watch Theseus and the queen doing?
4. Who gives Theseus a chariot driver?
5. Of what city is Theseus' mother the chief priestess?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)