|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Theseus' mother ask him to lift the altar stone?
(a) So she can tell him who his father is.
(b) So she can hide her valuables.
(c) So it's out of her way.
(d) So she can retrieve her long lost treasure.
2. Who seeks to take the throne from Aigeus?
(a) His two brothers.
(b) His sister.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His uncle.
3. Why must the entire town watch Theseus and the queen?
(a) To ensure the continuation of the bloodline.
(b) To ensure that the crops will grow.
(c) To reassure them of this union.
(d) To bring prosperity to the town.
4. What is the name of the other boy who comes to serve Poseidon?
5. Why did King Minos' men take the smaller boys from Troizen?
(a) To work in the fields as laborers.
(b) To train them to be soldiers.
(c) To punish the people of Troizen.
(d) To be slaves for entertainment to run with the bulls.
6. Why does Aigeus command the king and the priestess to keep Theseus' identity hidden?
(a) To keep him from overtaking the throne.
(b) To keep him safe.
(c) To enable him to have more sons.
(d) To raise him as a peasant.
7. Who is the ruler of the neighboring kingdom?
8. What is the name of the queen's brother?
9. When Theseus is 7-years-old, what animal does his grandfather sacrifice in a ceremony?
10. How old is Theseus when he is sent to begin his service to Poseidon?
(a) 10 years old.
(b) 16 years old.
(c) 13 years old.
(d) 8 years old.
11. What does Theseus ask the king of the town just before taking his life?
(a) To beg for mercy.
(b) To forgive him any sin for taking his life.
(c) To please stop crying.
(d) To tell him the secrets of the town.
12. Who is Theseus' grandfather?
(a) King Pittheus.
(d) King Minos.
13. How is Theseus' grandfather feeling when Theseus comes to visit him?
14. Where does Theseus' father rule?
15. As Theseus heads back to his people, what does he discover the queen ordered?
(a) A banquet in his honor.
(b) That he is to be killed.
(c) A special ceremony to celebrate his return.
(d) A monument to be constructed in his honor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Theseus do to the man who kills his friend?
2. Why does Theseus' mother need to give herself to the first man that is sent by the gods?
3. Why does Theseus' mother not want Theseus to tell anyone along his journey who he is?
4. What is the name of the next town Theseus travels to after leaving the camp?
5. What does Theseus decide to do about revealing his true identity to the king?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)