Objective: Book 1: Chapter 1-4 It's evident that Theseus and his grandfather, King Pittheus, have a loving relationship and care about each other. However, the position that Pittheus has as king keeps the relationship very formal. The purpose of this lesson is for students to analyze the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather, King Pittheus.
1) Round-robin Class Discussion: Have the students put their desks in a big circle, so that each student in turn shares something about the topic.
Questions to ask:
* What are some examples from the book where King Pittheus guides and gives reassurance to Theseus?
* What are some examples from the book where Theseus shows obedience to King Pittheus?
* Explain how Pittheus being king interferes with his being a grandfather.
2) Writing Assignment: Have students write a short paper describing the relationship between Theseus and his grandfather, King Pittheus. Students are to use examples from the...
This section contains 9,404 words
(approx. 32 pages at 300 words per page)