|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Once he is in the village, Downs notices that the Vietnamese people there are poor and ____.
2. What emergency procedure is performed to attempt to save the man's life?
3. The _____ platoon of Alpha Company meets up with Downs' troops.
4. What items are taken when the soldiers search the huts?
5. The troops move forward making their way through all but which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. The day after the conflict, there is another ambush. Who is ambushed? The recent events cause the men to have what realization? What is the reaction of the soldiers?
2. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
3. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
4. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
5. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
6. What is the irony surrounding the major injuries sustained by Downs?
7. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
8. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
9. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
10. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the facts and statistics about the Vietnam War. Why was there a war? Was it technically defined as a war? Explain. What were the reasons behind the US military involvement in Vietnam? How many soldiers were sent over? How many casualties were there? When did the war begin and end? What was proven? Who won?
Essay Topic 3
Downs is disgusted by the behavior of the ARVN soldiers. Explain why Downs was so angry. Was that kind of behavior common for a trained and experienced soldier? Explain. Do you think Downs was truly concerned about the ARVN hurting his platoon? What might have happened if a soldier had been hit by the shots fired over the heads of the platoon members on patrol? Do you think the shooting would have been covered up or would the ARVN soldier be exposed? What might happen to the soldier if caught?
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)