|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men are attacked by an ambush shaped to resemble which letter?
2. Which item seems to be most valuable to the people?
3. A soldier goes into a bunker to find how many men?
4. Despite the rugged terrain, the officers manage to _____ the injured men.
5. How many of the civilians get away?
Short Essay Questions
1. The day after the conflict, there is another ambush. Who is ambushed? The recent events cause the men to have what realization? What is the reaction of the soldiers?
2. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
3. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
4. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
5. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
6. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
7. What is the irony surrounding the major injuries sustained by Downs?
8. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
9. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
10. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Closely examine the various types of weapons used and mentioned throughout the story. What types of weapons were most commonly used? Which were the most popular for snipers and scouts? For soldiers? For members of the infantry? Which weapons were found to be ineffectual? Which weapons might still be used today in a military operation? How do the weapons used in the military compare to those used by individuals?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the level of participation in Vietnam by each branch of the military. Which was most involved? Why? What might have changed the face of the war? In your opinion, should the US have been involved in Vietnam? Explain. How did Downs' feel about the US involvement in Vietnam during and after his tour?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)