|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What approximate age is the man in the bunker?
2. The men fire upon a dark figure that turns out to be an old woman. Where is the woman shot?
3. Downs sees a large trailer that belongs to which person?
4. What separates this area from the open ocean?
5. Who returns to help with the mission?
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
2. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
3. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
4. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
5. How does Downs win the battle with the NVA soldier?
6. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
7. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
8. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
9. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
10. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story or essay from the point of view of Downs as he reminisces about his championship shooting awards and accolades earned throughout his military career. How did Downs' views change over the years?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)