|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men are injured by a land mine at this time?
2. Which item seems to be most valuable to the people?
3. Who has control of the area?
4. How many of the civilians get away?
5. One of the civilians is a teenager who is shot in the ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
2. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
3. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
4. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
5. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
6. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
7. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
8. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
9. What is the irony surrounding the major injuries sustained by Downs?
10. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mann and Downs. Did the men know each other prior to Vietnam? If so, how? When did the men meet? What was the first impression garnered by each? Were the first impressions correct? What was the first mission the men worked together? What did it entail? What was the outcome? As time went on did the personal and professional relationship improve or disintegrate? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What do you think about Downs' opinion on why he might have been injured? Do you think the injuries had anything to do with the stealing of the Buddha statues? Explain. Do you believe that there is punishment for acts of violence? If so, how would the punishment be decided and meted out? Explain. If given the opportunity to live it over again, do you think Downs would have made the same choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Downs is disgusted by the behavior of the ARVN soldiers. Explain why Downs was so angry. Was that kind of behavior common for a trained and experienced soldier? Explain. Do you think Downs was truly concerned about the ARVN hurting his platoon? What might have happened if a soldier had been hit by the shots fired over the heads of the platoon members on patrol? Do you think the shooting would have been covered up or would the ARVN soldier be exposed? What might happen to the soldier if caught?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)