|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The troops are flown farther north near what large body of water?
2. Back at the camp Sells orders Downs to hike _____ kilometers south of the bridge.
3. How many men are injured by a land mine at this time?
4. How many Vietcong are captured during the ambush?
5. How many of the civilians get away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
2. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
3. Explain the trip to the area around the Tam Ky province. What is the general atmosphere of the area.
4. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
5. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
6. How does Downs win the battle with the NVA soldier?
7. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
8. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
9. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
10. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story or essay from the point of view of Downs as he reminisces about his championship shooting awards and accolades earned throughout his military career. How did Downs' views change over the years?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What do you think about Downs' opinion on why he might have been injured? Do you think the injuries had anything to do with the stealing of the Buddha statues? Explain. Do you believe that there is punishment for acts of violence? If so, how would the punishment be decided and meted out? Explain. If given the opportunity to live it over again, do you think Downs would have made the same choices? Explain.
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)