|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A soldier goes into a bunker to find how many men?
2. One of the injuries consists of which of the following:
3. Which item seems to be most valuable to the people?
4. In a funny scene Downs decides to assist a man who has been in an accident with a _____.
5. One of the civilians is a teenager who is shot in the ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the trip to the area around the Tam Ky province. What is the general atmosphere of the area.
2. How does Downs win the battle with the NVA soldier?
3. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
4. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
5. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
6. The day after the conflict, there is another ambush. Who is ambushed? The recent events cause the men to have what realization? What is the reaction of the soldiers?
7. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
8. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
9. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
10. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story or essay from the point of view of Downs as he reminisces about his championship shooting awards and accolades earned throughout his military career. How did Downs' views change over the years?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Downs must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the States or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the extensive type of treatment that Downs had to receive as a result of the gunshot wound and eventual amputation. What kind of preliminary treatment did Downs receive? What is the biggest danger to a soldier immediately following an encounter with a land mine? What is the worst part of the recovery? What actions can be taken to help amputees? How did Downs fare after his treatments?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)