|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What approximate age is the man in the bunker?
2. The items are from which country?
3. Downs wants to leave the area but is ordered to stay by _______.
4. How many Vietcong were shot and killed by soldiers in the helicopter?
5. The men are attacked by an ambush shaped to resemble which letter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
2. How does Downs win the battle with the NVA soldier?
3. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
4. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
5. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
6. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
7. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
8. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
9. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
10. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the involvement of the soldiers on Montezuma Mountain in Vietnam. Examine the location, its benefits and drawbacks. What was so important about that particular battalion at that particular location? What difference did it make to have the platoon at that location? How might things have changed after Downs' injury and eventual discharge?
Essay Topic 2
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
Essay Topic 3
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)