|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two soldiers are hit by a land mine after walking through a _____.
2. Which group is quickly executed?
3. The troops are flown farther north near what large body of water?
4. What approximate age is the man in the bunker?
5. This section begins with which company engaging in a fierce battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
2. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
3. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
4. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
5. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
6. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
7. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
8. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
9. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
10. Explain the trip to the area around the Tam Ky province. What is the general atmosphere of the area.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the life of an American soldier with soldiers from at least two other countries, in addition to North and South Vietnam. Include the involvement of the ARVN in comparison to the regular Army troops. Which do you think made the biggest efforts? Which country was most instrumental in ending the war?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 3
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)