|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The next morning ___ civilians are ordered to surrender.
2. Who issues the order to let the men go?
3. Who returns to help with the mission?
4. Back at the camp Sells orders Downs to hike _____ kilometers south of the bridge.
5. Because Downs managed to capture _____ in the jungle he is given time off from the war.
Short Essay Questions
1. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
2. The day after the conflict, there is another ambush. Who is ambushed? The recent events cause the men to have what realization? What is the reaction of the soldiers?
3. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
4. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
5. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
6. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
7. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
8. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
9. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
10. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the level of participation in Vietnam by each branch of the military. Which was most involved? Why? What might have changed the face of the war? In your opinion, should the US have been involved in Vietnam? Explain. How did Downs' feel about the US involvement in Vietnam during and after his tour?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 3
Closely examine the various types of weapons used and mentioned throughout the story. What types of weapons were most commonly used? Which were the most popular for snipers and scouts? For soldiers? For members of the infantry? Which weapons were found to be ineffectual? Which weapons might still be used today in a military operation? How do the weapons used in the military compare to those used by individuals?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)