|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Two soldiers are hit by a land mine after walking through a _____.
2. The bridge previously guarded by the men is located on which highway?
3. Once he is in the village, Downs notices that the Vietnamese people there are poor and ____.
4. One of the civilians is a teenager who is shot in the ____.
5. Which of the soldiers becomes isolated from the rest of the platoon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
2. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
3. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
4. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
5. How does Downs win the battle with the NVA soldier?
6. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
7. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
8. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
9. What is the irony surrounding the major injuries sustained by Downs?
10. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the facts and statistics about the Vietnam War. Why was there a war? Was it technically defined as a war? Explain. What were the reasons behind the US military involvement in Vietnam? How many soldiers were sent over? How many casualties were there? When did the war begin and end? What was proven? Who won?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Sells and Downs. Which was more experienced? Which had sharper skills? What was the personal relationship between the two men? How did others view the men as commanding officers and experts? Do you think Sells and Downs are the type to maintain a relationship outside the military? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)