|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. One of the civilians is a teenager who is shot in the ____.
2. What emergency procedure is performed to attempt to save the man's life?
3. The patrol is sent out not to fight but to locate:
4. In a funny scene Downs decides to assist a man who has been in an accident with a _____.
5. The troops are flown farther north near what large body of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
2. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
3. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
4. Explain the trip to the area around the Tam Ky province. What is the general atmosphere of the area.
5. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
6. The day after the conflict, there is another ambush. Who is ambushed? The recent events cause the men to have what realization? What is the reaction of the soldiers?
7. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
8. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
9. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
10. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
Essay Topic 2
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think about Downs' opinion on why he might have been injured? Do you think the injuries had anything to do with the stealing of the Buddha statues? Explain. Do you believe that there is punishment for acts of violence? If so, how would the punishment be decided and meted out? Explain. If given the opportunity to live it over again, do you think Downs would have made the same choices? Explain.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)