|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Downs convinces soldiers that he is a ____.
2. Who returns to help with the mission?
3. What approximate age is the man in the bunker?
4. One of the civilians is a teenager who is shot in the ____.
5. What does Downs do to pass the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
2. What is the irony surrounding the major injuries sustained by Downs?
3. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
4. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
5. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
6. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
7. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
8. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
9. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
10. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story or essay from the point of view of Downs as he reminisces about his championship shooting awards and accolades earned throughout his military career. How did Downs' views change over the years?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think about Downs' opinion on why he might have been injured? Do you think the injuries had anything to do with the stealing of the Buddha statues? Explain. Do you believe that there is punishment for acts of violence? If so, how would the punishment be decided and meted out? Explain. If given the opportunity to live it over again, do you think Downs would have made the same choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Interview someone who served in Vietnam and write a 1000 word essay on the experience and how it affected the soldier's life. Be sure to include any traumatic events, real or imagined as well as post traumatic stress, involvement with the VA, and life before and after the war.
This section contains 803 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)