|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Vietcong are captured during the ambush?
2. How many of the civilians get away?
3. How many American soldiers are injured during this particular confrontation?
4. Because Downs managed to capture _____ in the jungle he is given time off from the war.
5. What does Downs do to pass the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
2. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
3. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
4. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
5. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
6. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
7. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
8. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
9. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
10. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 2
What do you think about Downs' opinion on why he might have been injured? Do you think the injuries had anything to do with the stealing of the Buddha statues? Explain. Do you believe that there is punishment for acts of violence? If so, how would the punishment be decided and meted out? Explain. If given the opportunity to live it over again, do you think Downs would have made the same choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Downs is disgusted by the behavior of the ARVN soldiers. Explain why Downs was so angry. Was that kind of behavior common for a trained and experienced soldier? Explain. Do you think Downs was truly concerned about the ARVN hurting his platoon? What might have happened if a soldier had been hit by the shots fired over the heads of the platoon members on patrol? Do you think the shooting would have been covered up or would the ARVN soldier be exposed? What might happen to the soldier if caught?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)