|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The items are from which country?
2. The troops are flown farther north near what large body of water?
3. How many men are in the platoon at this time?
4. The plan entails going to a local ____ to ambush the Vietcong.
5. The area is now abandoned but had once been a thriving area for which type of product?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
2. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
3. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
4. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
5. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
6. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
7. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
8. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
9. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
10. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Closely examine the various types of weapons used and mentioned throughout the story. What types of weapons were most commonly used? Which were the most popular for snipers and scouts? For soldiers? For members of the infantry? Which weapons were found to be ineffectual? Which weapons might still be used today in a military operation? How do the weapons used in the military compare to those used by individuals?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the statistics mentioned in the book. Explore the accuracy of the details. What other details should have been included? Which details may have been more pertinent? What else should have been said about the end of the war? How did the end of the war affect the hundreds of thousands of military personnel and their families? Were there any other wars in recent history that equaled the one in Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the life of an American soldier with soldiers from at least two other countries, in addition to North and South Vietnam. Include the involvement of the ARVN in comparison to the regular Army troops. Which do you think made the biggest efforts? Which country was most instrumental in ending the war?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)