|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emergency procedure is performed to attempt to save the man's life?
2. Where do the people search for usable items?
3. Downs' platoon is split into how many parts?
4. This section begins with which company engaging in a fierce battle?
5. The troops are flown farther north near what large body of water?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
2. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
3. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
4. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
5. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
6. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
7. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
8. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
9. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
10. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interview someone who served in Vietnam and write a 1000 word essay on the experience and how it affected the soldier's life. Be sure to include any traumatic events, real or imagined as well as post traumatic stress, involvement with the VA, and life before and after the war.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Downs must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the States or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the life of an American soldier with soldiers from at least two other countries, in addition to North and South Vietnam. Include the involvement of the ARVN in comparison to the regular Army troops. Which do you think made the biggest efforts? Which country was most instrumental in ending the war?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)