|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What separates this area from the open ocean?
2. The bridge previously guarded by the men is located on which highway?
3. What does Downs do to pass the time?
4. The men are suddenly involved in a battle with how many Vietcong soldiers?
5. Downs wonders why the _____ have to do so little and Downs' platoon works hard to fight.
Short Essay Questions
1. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
2. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
3. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
4. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
5. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
6. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
7. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
8. What is the irony surrounding the major injuries sustained by Downs?
9. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
10. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do you think about Downs' opinion on why he might have been injured? Do you think the injuries had anything to do with the stealing of the Buddha statues? Explain. Do you believe that there is punishment for acts of violence? If so, how would the punishment be decided and meted out? Explain. If given the opportunity to live it over again, do you think Downs would have made the same choices? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story or essay from the point of view of Downs as he reminisces about his championship shooting awards and accolades earned throughout his military career. How did Downs' views change over the years?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)