|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Downs do to pass the time?
2. Downs convinces soldiers that he is a ____.
3. The soldier manages to dive behind a ____ to keep from being shot.
4. Downs and his platoon return to which camp?
5. Which item seems to be most valuable to the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Downs win the battle with the NVA soldier?
2. What is the irony surrounding the major injuries sustained by Downs?
3. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
4. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
5. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
6. Explain the trip to the area around the Tam Ky province. What is the general atmosphere of the area.
7. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
8. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
9. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
10. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the statistics mentioned in the book. Explore the accuracy of the details. What other details should have been included? Which details may have been more pertinent? What else should have been said about the end of the war? How did the end of the war affect the hundreds of thousands of military personnel and their families? Were there any other wars in recent history that equaled the one in Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)