|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men are attacked by an ambush shaped to resemble which letter?
2. One of the injuries consists of which of the following:
3. Who issues the order to let the men go?
4. How many of the civilians get away?
5. The men are suddenly involved in a battle with how many Vietcong soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
2. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
3. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
4. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
5. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
6. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
7. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
8. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
9. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
10. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interview someone who served in Vietnam and write a 1000 word essay on the experience and how it affected the soldier's life. Be sure to include any traumatic events, real or imagined as well as post traumatic stress, involvement with the VA, and life before and after the war.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the involvement of the soldiers on Montezuma Mountain in Vietnam. Examine the location, its benefits and drawbacks. What was so important about that particular battalion at that particular location? What difference did it make to have the platoon at that location? How might things have changed after Downs' injury and eventual discharge?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the life of an American soldier with soldiers from at least two other countries, in addition to North and South Vietnam. Include the involvement of the ARVN in comparison to the regular Army troops. Which do you think made the biggest efforts? Which country was most instrumental in ending the war?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)