|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldier manages to dive behind a ____ to keep from being shot.
2. Which group is quickly executed?
3. The troops are flown farther north near what large body of water?
4. Two soldiers are hit by a land mine after walking through a _____.
5. Which item seems to be most valuable to the people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
2. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
3. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
4. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
5. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
6. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
7. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
8. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
9. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
10. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the statistics mentioned in the book. Explore the accuracy of the details. What other details should have been included? Which details may have been more pertinent? What else should have been said about the end of the war? How did the end of the war affect the hundreds of thousands of military personnel and their families? Were there any other wars in recent history that equaled the one in Vietnam?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the involvement of the soldiers on Montezuma Mountain in Vietnam. Examine the location, its benefits and drawbacks. What was so important about that particular battalion at that particular location? What difference did it make to have the platoon at that location? How might things have changed after Downs' injury and eventual discharge?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)