|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the Tam Ky province located?
2. One of the men falls ___ feet and stops breathing.
3. Downs decides to take the time off to fly to which location?
4. The men are suddenly involved in a battle with how many Vietcong soldiers?
5. The patrol is sent out not to fight but to locate:
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
2. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
3. What is the irony surrounding the major injuries sustained by Downs?
4. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
5. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
6. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
7. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
8. The day after the conflict, there is another ambush. Who is ambushed? The recent events cause the men to have what realization? What is the reaction of the soldiers?
9. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
10. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Mann and Downs. Did the men know each other prior to Vietnam? If so, how? When did the men meet? What was the first impression garnered by each? Were the first impressions correct? What was the first mission the men worked together? What did it entail? What was the outcome? As time went on did the personal and professional relationship improve or disintegrate? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
Essay Topic 3
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)