|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The soldier manages to dive behind a ____ to keep from being shot.
2. The men are attacked by an ambush shaped to resemble which letter?
3. Downs wonders why the _____ have to do so little and Downs' platoon works hard to fight.
4. Downs begins to question the military's _____ in regards to fighting the enemy.
5. The plan entails going to a local ____ to ambush the Vietcong.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
2. What happens to a soldier from the Alpha Company's 3-6 platoon?
3. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
4. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
5. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
6. How does Downs win the battle with the NVA soldier?
7. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
8. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
9. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
10. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the level of participation in Vietnam by each branch of the military. Which was most involved? Why? What might have changed the face of the war? In your opinion, should the US have been involved in Vietnam? Explain. How did Downs' feel about the US involvement in Vietnam during and after his tour?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Sells and Downs. Which was more experienced? Which had sharper skills? What was the personal relationship between the two men? How did others view the men as commanding officers and experts? Do you think Sells and Downs are the type to maintain a relationship outside the military? Explain.
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)