|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emergency procedure is performed to attempt to save the man's life?
2. Downs convinces soldiers that he is a ____.
3. Who issues a new plan to Downs via radio?
4. What word is best used to describe the Army people encountered by Downs at the mess hall?
5. Downs' platoon is split into how many parts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
2. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
3. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
4. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
5. Explain the trip to the area around the Tam Ky province. What is the general atmosphere of the area.
6. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
7. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
8. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
9. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
10. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the level of participation in Vietnam by each branch of the military. Which was most involved? Why? What might have changed the face of the war? In your opinion, should the US have been involved in Vietnam? Explain. How did Downs' feel about the US involvement in Vietnam during and after his tour?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story or essay from the point of view of Downs as he reminisces about his championship shooting awards and accolades earned throughout his military career. How did Downs' views change over the years?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)