|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In a funny scene Downs decides to assist a man who has been in an accident with a _____.
2. Who returns to help with the mission?
3. If Downs had not escaped, he would have been hit with which of the following?
4. As they descend from the top of the mountain many men are attacked by which of the following:
5. Downs wants to leave the area but is ordered to stay by _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
2. How does Downs win the battle with the NVA soldier?
3. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
4. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
5. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
6. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
7. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
8. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
9. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
10. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the involvement of the soldiers on Montezuma Mountain in Vietnam. Examine the location, its benefits and drawbacks. What was so important about that particular battalion at that particular location? What difference did it make to have the platoon at that location? How might things have changed after Downs' injury and eventual discharge?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)