|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Downs is now a part of the Delta Company and which other battalion?
2. Because the enemy knows the standard operation plan of the American troops, they often execute which technique to fight off the soldiers?
3. The animal had been accidentally setting off ____ which could have been very dangerous to the soldiers.
4. What is the rank of the officer Downs refers to as being "nasty?"
5. Which government office is held by one of the Vietnamese civilians?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
2. How do the soldiers in the battalion refer to the Vietnamese and the Vietcong?
3. What is the basic plan for battle for the First Platoon? Would the platoon have any back up?
4. Describe the scene that takes place on November 13th. What types of weapons are involved in the conflict? What type of shelter is available for the soldiers?
5. Explain the arrival and presence of Fouel. What is the opinion of the Americans on the Cho-Hui?
6. Describe the others at the camp, including Downs' meetings with other soldiers and superiors.
7. What happens shortly after the mine-sweeping crew is on the job?
8. What is exposed by a random shot fired by Downs? What is the next step taken in the mission? What is discovered?
9. Where does Downs and his platoon spend the first two months in Vietnam?
10. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Downs is disgusted by the behavior of the ARVN soldiers. Explain why Downs was so angry. Was that kind of behavior common for a trained and experienced soldier? Explain. Do you think Downs was truly concerned about the ARVN hurting his platoon? What might have happened if a soldier had been hit by the shots fired over the heads of the platoon members on patrol? Do you think the shooting would have been covered up or would the ARVN soldier be exposed? What might happen to the soldier if caught?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Downs must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the States or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
This section contains 955 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)