|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the watchman on the night patrol?
2. Which one of the soldiers has to be reprimanded for unprofessional behavior?
3. Which of the following is not typically used to fight in this particular instance?
4. The patrol goes into an area covered mostly by _____.
5. The soldiers are often greeted by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Downs and his platoon spend the first two months in Vietnam?
2. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
3. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
4. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
5. Discuss the scene in which the platoon goes out into the rice paddies. Who do the soldiers see? What mishap occurs?
6. What difficulty do the soldiers have when it comes to landing the helicopter? What is the solution to the problem?
7. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
8. What is the plan for the base camp once the soldiers arrive on site?
9. What happens shortly after the mine-sweeping crew is on the job?
10. Describe the scene that takes place on November 13th. What types of weapons are involved in the conflict? What type of shelter is available for the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Closely examine the various types of weapons used and mentioned throughout the story. What types of weapons were most commonly used? Which were the most popular for snipers and scouts? For soldiers? For members of the infantry? Which weapons were found to be ineffectual? Which weapons might still be used today in a military operation? How do the weapons used in the military compare to those used by individuals?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Sells and Downs. Which was more experienced? Which had sharper skills? What was the personal relationship between the two men? How did others view the men as commanding officers and experts? Do you think Sells and Downs are the type to maintain a relationship outside the military? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)