|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name used for the Army of South Vietnam?
2. Which word best describes the area in which Downs is stationed?
3. How many men are sent out in the first patrol?
4. How many men will be put into a platoon during the fighting formation?
5. Where is the headquarters for this particular base?
Short Essay Questions
1. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
2. Describe the scene that takes place on November 13th. What types of weapons are involved in the conflict? What type of shelter is available for the soldiers?
3. When is the platoon moved from the area? Where are they taken to set up a new base camp?
4. What is the biggest problem with this plan?
5. Explain the arrival and presence of Fouel. What is the opinion of the Americans on the Cho-Hui?
6. How do the soldiers in the battalion refer to the Vietnamese and the Vietcong?
7. How does Downs deal with one of the soldiers that has proven to be lazy?
8. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
9. Describe the scene when Lt. Frederick Downs arrives at the airfield for the first time.
10. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how Downs must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the States or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)