|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the radio officer?
2. By chance the soldiers learn that there are numerous _____ in the area.
3. How many of the Vietcong are killed by the Americans?
4. The patrol goes into an area covered mostly by _____.
5. What is the man's temporary rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
2. What is the biggest problem with this plan?
3. When is the platoon moved from the area? Where are they taken to set up a new base camp?
4. Describe the scene when Lt. Frederick Downs arrives at the airfield for the first time.
5. Describe the others at the camp, including Downs' meetings with other soldiers and superiors.
6. What is the basic plan for battle for the First Platoon? Would the platoon have any back up?
7. How does Downs deal with one of the soldiers that has proven to be lazy?
8. Where does Downs and his platoon spend the first two months in Vietnam?
9. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
10. Describe the people confronted in one of the villages. What happens to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the facts and statistics about the Vietnam War. Why was there a war? Was it technically defined as a war? Explain. What were the reasons behind the US military involvement in Vietnam? How many soldiers were sent over? How many casualties were there? When did the war begin and end? What was proven? Who won?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Mann and Downs. Did the men know each other prior to Vietnam? If so, how? When did the men meet? What was the first impression garnered by each? Were the first impressions correct? What was the first mission the men worked together? What did it entail? What was the outcome? As time went on did the personal and professional relationship improve or disintegrate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)