|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The character belongs to which branch of the military?
2. An American is wounded in which area of his body?
3. The patrol goes into an area covered mostly by _____.
4. What is referred to using the acronym OCS?
5. Which is not among the people centered in the camp to respond to enemy attacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
2. What is the basic plan for battle for the First Platoon? Would the platoon have any back up?
3. Describe the others at the camp, including Downs' meetings with other soldiers and superiors.
4. What is the plan for the base camp once the soldiers arrive on site?
5. What is exposed by a random shot fired by Downs? What is the next step taken in the mission? What is discovered?
6. What is the biggest problem with this plan?
7. How do the soldiers in the battalion refer to the Vietnamese and the Vietcong?
8. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
9. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
10. Discuss the transport of the battalion to the new base camp.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Sells and Downs. Which was more experienced? Which had sharper skills? What was the personal relationship between the two men? How did others view the men as commanding officers and experts? Do you think Sells and Downs are the type to maintain a relationship outside the military? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Downs must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the States or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the life of an American soldier with soldiers from at least two other countries, in addition to North and South Vietnam. Include the involvement of the ARVN in comparison to the regular Army troops. Which do you think made the biggest efforts? Which country was most instrumental in ending the war?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)