|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An American is wounded in which area of his body?
2. What is the rank of the officer Downs refers to as being "nasty?"
3. The men find which type of land mine in the area?
4. How many men are discovered during the first patrol?
5. The animal had been accidentally setting off ____ which could have been very dangerous to the soldiers.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
2. What difficulty do the soldiers have when it comes to landing the helicopter? What is the solution to the problem?
3. Describe the others at the camp, including Downs' meetings with other soldiers and superiors.
4. Discuss the scene in which the platoon goes out into the rice paddies. Who do the soldiers see? What mishap occurs?
5. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
6. How do the soldiers in the battalion refer to the Vietnamese and the Vietcong?
7. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
8. What is the plan for the base camp once the soldiers arrive on site?
9. Discuss the transport of the battalion to the new base camp.
10. What is the biggest problem with this plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the extensive type of treatment that Downs had to receive as a result of the gunshot wound and eventual amputation. What kind of preliminary treatment did Downs receive? What is the biggest danger to a soldier immediately following an encounter with a land mine? What is the worst part of the recovery? What actions can be taken to help amputees? How did Downs fare after his treatments?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)