|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the soldiers has to be reprimanded for unprofessional behavior?
2. What is the code number used to identify Downs?
3. By chance the soldiers learn that there are numerous _____ in the area.
4. What is the nickname used for the local residents?
5. Which emotion best describes the attitude of the patrol despite their recent successes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Downs' situation at the base camp. Where is it located? What is the name of the platoon?
2. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
3. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
4. Explain Downs' first friendly encounter with the Vietnamese villagers.
5. What is the biggest problem with this plan?
6. What type of personnel make up the platoon? What is the common bond between all of the men?
7. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
8. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
9. Describe the people confronted in one of the villages. What happens to them?
10. Where does Downs and his platoon spend the first two months in Vietnam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 3
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)