|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The base for the division is based in which town/city?
2. Soldiers fight constantly to gain control of which of the following?
3. What brand of motorcycles are used by the South Vietnamese police?
4. How many of the Vietcong are killed by the Americans?
5. People attempting to cross the bridge are stopped by a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the people confronted in one of the villages. What happens to them?
2. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
3. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
4. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
5. What is the plan for the base camp once the soldiers arrive on site?
6. What happens shortly after the mine-sweeping crew is on the job?
7. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
8. Explain the arrival and presence of Fouel. What is the opinion of the Americans on the Cho-Hui?
9. Discuss Downs' situation at the base camp. Where is it located? What is the name of the platoon?
10. What is exposed by a random shot fired by Downs? What is the next step taken in the mission? What is discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the extensive type of treatment that Downs had to receive as a result of the gunshot wound and eventual amputation. What kind of preliminary treatment did Downs receive? What is the biggest danger to a soldier immediately following an encounter with a land mine? What is the worst part of the recovery? What actions can be taken to help amputees? How did Downs fare after his treatments?
Essay Topic 2
Closely examine the various types of weapons used and mentioned throughout the story. What types of weapons were most commonly used? Which were the most popular for snipers and scouts? For soldiers? For members of the infantry? Which weapons were found to be ineffectual? Which weapons might still be used today in a military operation? How do the weapons used in the military compare to those used by individuals?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the facts and statistics about the Vietnam War. Why was there a war? Was it technically defined as a war? Explain. What were the reasons behind the US military involvement in Vietnam? How many soldiers were sent over? How many casualties were there? When did the war begin and end? What was proven? Who won?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)