|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the soldiers get from the helicopters to the ground?
2. Who is the enemy of American forces?
3. What is the definition of "dink?"
4. What is the man's military rank?
5. The soldiers are often greeted by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Downs deal with one of the soldiers that has proven to be lazy?
2. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
3. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
4. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
5. What type of personnel make up the platoon? What is the common bond between all of the men?
6. Describe the people confronted in one of the villages. What happens to them?
7. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
8. Describe the scene when Lt. Frederick Downs arrives at the airfield for the first time.
9. Describe the others at the camp, including Downs' meetings with other soldiers and superiors.
10. What is exposed by a random shot fired by Downs? What is the next step taken in the mission? What is discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the level of participation in Vietnam by each branch of the military. Which was most involved? Why? What might have changed the face of the war? In your opinion, should the US have been involved in Vietnam? Explain. How did Downs' feel about the US involvement in Vietnam during and after his tour?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Mann and Downs. Did the men know each other prior to Vietnam? If so, how? When did the men meet? What was the first impression garnered by each? Were the first impressions correct? What was the first mission the men worked together? What did it entail? What was the outcome? As time went on did the personal and professional relationship improve or disintegrate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)