|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's military rank?
2. The soldiers must also erect which of the following:
3. What is the name of the radio officer?
4. What is the rank of the officer Downs refers to as being "nasty?"
5. Which is not mentioned as being a part of the company at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the plan for the base camp once the soldiers arrive on site?
2. Discuss the scene in which the platoon goes out into the rice paddies. Who do the soldiers see? What mishap occurs?
3. Describe the scene when Lt. Frederick Downs arrives at the airfield for the first time.
4. What difficulty do the soldiers have when it comes to landing the helicopter? What is the solution to the problem?
5. What type of personnel make up the platoon? What is the common bond between all of the men?
6. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
7. Explain Downs' first friendly encounter with the Vietnamese villagers.
8. Discuss the transport of the battalion to the new base camp.
9. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
10. Describe the people confronted in one of the villages. What happens to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Interview someone who served in Vietnam and write a 1000 word essay on the experience and how it affected the soldier's life. Be sure to include any traumatic events, real or imagined as well as post traumatic stress, involvement with the VA, and life before and after the war.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Downs must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the States or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
Essay Topic 3
What do you think about Downs' opinion on why he might have been injured? Do you think the injuries had anything to do with the stealing of the Buddha statues? Explain. Do you believe that there is punishment for acts of violence? If so, how would the punishment be decided and meted out? Explain. If given the opportunity to live it over again, do you think Downs would have made the same choices? Explain.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)