|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men find which type of land mine in the area?
2. Downs is concerned by the presence of which of the following?
3. What is the name of the next location?
4. The platoons will be stationed approximately how many kilometers apart?
5. The base for the division is based in which town/city?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the transport of the battalion to the new base camp.
2. What difficulty do the soldiers have when it comes to landing the helicopter? What is the solution to the problem?
3. How do the soldiers in the battalion refer to the Vietnamese and the Vietcong?
4. Describe the people confronted in one of the villages. What happens to them?
5. What happens shortly after the mine-sweeping crew is on the job?
6. What is the basic plan for battle for the First Platoon? Would the platoon have any back up?
7. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
8. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
9. What type of personnel make up the platoon? What is the common bond between all of the men?
10. What is the biggest problem with this plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the extensive type of treatment that Downs had to receive as a result of the gunshot wound and eventual amputation. What kind of preliminary treatment did Downs receive? What is the biggest danger to a soldier immediately following an encounter with a land mine? What is the worst part of the recovery? What actions can be taken to help amputees? How did Downs fare after his treatments?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)