|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a Choi-Hoi?
2. Which man stops to give advice to Downs about the condition of the jungle?
3. What is the nickname used for the local residents?
4. What is the definition of "dink?"
5. What is referred to using the acronym OCS?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
2. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
3. Discuss the scene in which the platoon goes out into the rice paddies. Who do the soldiers see? What mishap occurs?
4. When is the platoon moved from the area? Where are they taken to set up a new base camp?
5. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
6. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
7. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
8. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
9. What type of personnel make up the platoon? What is the common bond between all of the men?
10. What happens shortly after the mine-sweeping crew is on the job?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Closely examine the various types of weapons used and mentioned throughout the story. What types of weapons were most commonly used? Which were the most popular for snipers and scouts? For soldiers? For members of the infantry? Which weapons were found to be ineffectual? Which weapons might still be used today in a military operation? How do the weapons used in the military compare to those used by individuals?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the life of an American soldier with soldiers from at least two other countries, in addition to North and South Vietnam. Include the involvement of the ARVN in comparison to the regular Army troops. Which do you think made the biggest efforts? Which country was most instrumental in ending the war?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Sells and Downs. Which was more experienced? Which had sharper skills? What was the personal relationship between the two men? How did others view the men as commanding officers and experts? Do you think Sells and Downs are the type to maintain a relationship outside the military? Explain.
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)