|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is another name used for the Army of South Vietnam?
2. What type of company operates at the base?
3. What is the nickname used for the local residents?
4. The first base was set up in what type of area?
5. How many helicopters does it take to transport the soldiers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Downs' first friendly encounter with the Vietnamese villagers.
2. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
3. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
4. What type of personnel make up the platoon? What is the common bond between all of the men?
5. What is the biggest problem with this plan?
6. What is exposed by a random shot fired by Downs? What is the next step taken in the mission? What is discovered?
7. Describe the people confronted in one of the villages. What happens to them?
8. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
9. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
10. Discuss the scene in which the platoon goes out into the rice paddies. Who do the soldiers see? What mishap occurs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the extensive type of treatment that Downs had to receive as a result of the gunshot wound and eventual amputation. What kind of preliminary treatment did Downs receive? What is the biggest danger to a soldier immediately following an encounter with a land mine? What is the worst part of the recovery? What actions can be taken to help amputees? How did Downs fare after his treatments?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Sells and Downs. Which was more experienced? Which had sharper skills? What was the personal relationship between the two men? How did others view the men as commanding officers and experts? Do you think Sells and Downs are the type to maintain a relationship outside the military? Explain.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)