|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of vehicle is blown up?
2. Which is not mentioned as being a part of the company at this point?
3. How many helicopters does it take to transport the soldiers?
4. How many men will be put into a platoon during the fighting formation?
5. What is the nickname used for the local residents?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
2. Discuss Downs' situation at the base camp. Where is it located? What is the name of the platoon?
3. How do the soldiers in the battalion refer to the Vietnamese and the Vietcong?
4. What happens shortly after the mine-sweeping crew is on the job?
5. Describe the scene when Lt. Frederick Downs arrives at the airfield for the first time.
6. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
7. Discuss the scene in which the platoon goes out into the rice paddies. Who do the soldiers see? What mishap occurs?
8. What is exposed by a random shot fired by Downs? What is the next step taken in the mission? What is discovered?
9. Where does Downs and his platoon spend the first two months in Vietnam?
10. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)