|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Downs is now a part of the Delta Company and which other battalion?
2. How many days go by before Downs is sent to the next location?
3. Which is not mentioned as being a part of the company at this point?
4. What is the name of the acting commander at the camp?
5. What is the surname of the main character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that takes place on November 13th. What types of weapons are involved in the conflict? What type of shelter is available for the soldiers?
2. What is the basic plan for battle for the First Platoon? Would the platoon have any back up?
3. Explain Downs' first friendly encounter with the Vietnamese villagers.
4. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
5. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
6. What type of personnel make up the platoon? What is the common bond between all of the men?
7. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
8. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
9. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
10. What is exposed by a random shot fired by Downs? What is the next step taken in the mission? What is discovered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In addition to physical damage and recovery, many soldiers face temporary or permanent psychological damage. Discuss this fact as it applies to the book. Who may have suffered from psychological damage? How did Downs deal with his psychological issues first when he returned stateside and attempted to become a civilian to each incident when he was injured? How did Downs handle it when he was discharged from the military?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Downs must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the States or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
Essay Topic 3
Write a short story or essay from the point of view of Downs as he reminisces about his championship shooting awards and accolades earned throughout his military career. How did Downs' views change over the years?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)