|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The men find which type of land mine in the area?
2. What is the rank of the officer Downs refers to as being "nasty?"
3. The land mine is rigged to release what debilitating item?
4. Which of the following is not removed from the helicopter?
5. Which emotion best describes the attitude of the patrol despite their recent successes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
2. How does Downs deal with one of the soldiers that has proven to be lazy?
3. What happens shortly after the mine-sweeping crew is on the job?
4. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
5. What is exposed by a random shot fired by Downs? What is the next step taken in the mission? What is discovered?
6. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
7. What is the plan for the base camp once the soldiers arrive on site?
8. Explain Downs' first friendly encounter with the Vietnamese villagers.
9. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
10. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the facts and statistics about the Vietnam War. Why was there a war? Was it technically defined as a war? Explain. What were the reasons behind the US military involvement in Vietnam? How many soldiers were sent over? How many casualties were there? When did the war begin and end? What was proven? Who won?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Sells and Downs. Which was more experienced? Which had sharper skills? What was the personal relationship between the two men? How did others view the men as commanding officers and experts? Do you think Sells and Downs are the type to maintain a relationship outside the military? Explain.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)