|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the rank of the officer Downs refers to as being "nasty?"
2. What is another name used for the Army of South Vietnam?
3. How many men are discovered during the first patrol?
4. What is a Choi-Hoi?
5. Which is not mentioned as being a part of the company at this point?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Downs and his platoon spend the first two months in Vietnam?
2. Discuss the transport of the battalion to the new base camp.
3. What difficulty do the soldiers have when it comes to landing the helicopter? What is the solution to the problem?
4. Describe the others at the camp, including Downs' meetings with other soldiers and superiors.
5. What is the basic plan for battle for the First Platoon? Would the platoon have any back up?
6. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
7. How does Downs deal with one of the soldiers that has proven to be lazy?
8. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
9. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
10. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how Downs must have felt arriving back in the United States after being in Vietnam. How would you have felt in the same situation? Which would feel stranger to you - arriving in the States or going home to your house? Explain. Also, write about how friends and family might treat you differently after you returned home from war. What kind of treatment would one expect? Would it be different depending on amount or extent of wounds? Would it be different if the wounds were physical or mental?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the relationship between Mann and Downs. Did the men know each other prior to Vietnam? If so, how? When did the men meet? What was the first impression garnered by each? Were the first impressions correct? What was the first mission the men worked together? What did it entail? What was the outcome? As time went on did the personal and professional relationship improve or disintegrate? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)