|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day is the first Vietcong soldier killed by a soldier?
2. How many men are sent out in the first patrol?
3. Up to this point Downs and his men had spent how many months at the first camp?
4. What brand of motorcycles are used by the South Vietnamese police?
5. The soldiers are often greeted by which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene that takes place on the bridge. Who is involved?
2. Describe the scene when Lt. Frederick Downs arrives at the airfield for the first time.
3. Explain the arrival and presence of Fouel. What is the opinion of the Americans on the Cho-Hui?
4. What is the plan for the base camp once the soldiers arrive on site?
5. What is the biggest problem with this plan?
6. Describe the others at the camp, including Downs' meetings with other soldiers and superiors.
7. Describe the scene that takes place on November 13th. What types of weapons are involved in the conflict? What type of shelter is available for the soldiers?
8. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
9. When is the platoon moved from the area? Where are they taken to set up a new base camp?
10. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail the involvement of the soldiers on Montezuma Mountain in Vietnam. Examine the location, its benefits and drawbacks. What was so important about that particular battalion at that particular location? What difference did it make to have the platoon at that location? How might things have changed after Downs' injury and eventual discharge?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail the facts and statistics about the Vietnam War. Why was there a war? Was it technically defined as a war? Explain. What were the reasons behind the US military involvement in Vietnam? How many soldiers were sent over? How many casualties were there? When did the war begin and end? What was proven? Who won?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)