|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many Americans are there at the time?
2. Up to this point Downs and his men had spent how many months at the first camp?
3. What type of plane is used to transport the new soldier?
4. How many men will be put into a platoon during the fighting formation?
5. Downs is concerned by the presence of which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the area around the base camp and how it is different than Downs expected.
2. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
3. What type of personnel make up the platoon? What is the common bond between all of the men?
4. Who gives Downs details about his destination? What does the man say?
5. Discuss the transport of the battalion to the new base camp.
6. How does Downs deal with one of the soldiers that has proven to be lazy?
7. Where does Downs and his platoon spend the first two months in Vietnam?
8. When is the platoon moved from the area? Where are they taken to set up a new base camp?
9. What is Downs' rank? Where does Downs go on his first assignment?
10. Describe the scene that takes place on November 13th. What types of weapons are involved in the conflict? What type of shelter is available for the soldiers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the personal and professional lives of Sells and Downs. Which was more experienced? Which had sharper skills? What was the personal relationship between the two men? How did others view the men as commanding officers and experts? Do you think Sells and Downs are the type to maintain a relationship outside the military? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Downs was among a long line of other soldiers wounded in the line of duty. Examine and discuss various types of wounds that are mentioned in the book. How were the majority of the wounds inflicted? What is the standard treatment of a non-serious wound? What is the standard treatment for a potentially fatal wound? Who attends to the soldiers when they are wounded? How common is it for doctors to be present and to take care of the wounds? When doctors are not around, who performs the work?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the relationship between Mann and Downs. Did the men know each other prior to Vietnam? If so, how? When did the men meet? What was the first impression garnered by each? Were the first impressions correct? What was the first mission the men worked together? What did it entail? What was the outcome? As time went on did the personal and professional relationship improve or disintegrate? Explain.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)