|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the headquarters for this particular base?
2. What is the definition of "dink?"
3. The soldiers are often greeted by which of the following?
4. An old woman searches the camp and finds which of the following?
5. What is referred to using the acronym OCS?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens shortly after the mine-sweeping crew is on the job?
2. Explain Downs' first friendly encounter with the Vietnamese villagers.
3. Discuss the scene in which the platoon goes out into the rice paddies. Who do the soldiers see? What mishap occurs?
4. Describe the scene when Lt. Frederick Downs arrives at the airfield for the first time.
5. Discuss Downs' first mission and the sights he witnesses.
6. Describe the others at the camp, including Downs' meetings with other soldiers and superiors.
7. Describe the scene that takes place on November 13th. What types of weapons are involved in the conflict? What type of shelter is available for the soldiers?
8. How do the soldiers in the battalion refer to the Vietnamese and the Vietcong?
9. What is the issue with convoys traveling by the established road? What were the orders issued to the men?
10. Downs comes to what realization during this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a short story from a point of view similar to Downs' while using a modern setting. How does your story differ? Why did you choose that particular setting? What about your story was similar to Downs' tale? What was the part that provided the most contrast? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail the involvement of the soldiers on Montezuma Mountain in Vietnam. Examine the location, its benefits and drawbacks. What was so important about that particular battalion at that particular location? What difference did it make to have the platoon at that location? How might things have changed after Downs' injury and eventual discharge?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in details Downs' experience in the Veterans Administration. How did Downs become involved with the VA? What type of work did Downs do? How long was Downs affiliated with the VA? What prompted Downs to take the promotion? What was the new job? What did it entail? How was the job directly related to Downs' own experience? Why did Downs travel back to Vietnam during this time? How did the trip affect Downs?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)