|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the remaining Vietcong flee, the Americans discover two _____ concealed in a bunker.
(a) Topographical maps.
(d) Crates of weapons.
2. Who has control of the area?
(c) Downs' platoon.
3. The troops are flown farther north near what large body of water?
(a) Gulf of Tonkin.
(b) Mekong River.
(c) South China Sea.
(d) Red River Delta.
4. Because Downs managed to capture _____ in the jungle he is given time off from the war.
(b) A suicide bomber.
(c) A village.
5. What does Downs do to pass the time?
(a) Plays with the local children.
(c) Watches TV.
Short Answer Questions
1. Downs sees a large trailer that belongs to which person?
2. What approximate age is the man in the bunker?
3. How many Vietcong are captured during the ambush?
4. In a funny scene Downs decides to assist a man who has been in an accident with a _____.
5. As they descend from the top of the mountain many men are attacked by which of the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the scene in which the Alpha Company engages in a large scale battle.
2. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
3. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
4. How and why is Downs rewarded for his actions in the field?
5. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
6. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
7. Explain the trip to the area around the Tam Ky province. What is the general atmosphere of the area.
8. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
9. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
10. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)