|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the soldiers becomes isolated from the rest of the platoon?
2. What is the name of the commander that replaced Schaldenbrand?
3. The patrol is sent out not to fight but to locate:
(a) A place to land a helicopter.
(d) A new base site.
4. What emergency procedure is performed to attempt to save the man's life?
(b) Mouth to mouth resuscitation.
(d) Heimlich maneuver.
5. Downs wants to leave the area but is ordered to stay by _______.
Short Answer Questions
1. The platoon ends up in an area referred to as a _____ zone.
2. Downs begins to think about going to ____ school.
3. Where is the Tam Ky province located?
4. Downs' platoon is split into how many parts?
5. How many of the civilians get away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
2. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
3. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
4. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
5. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
6. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
7. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
8. Explain what the author means by the genocidal aspect of the war. How does Downs justify this behavior?
9. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
10. Who arrives to assist the soldiers? What happens during the operation?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)