|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who serves as the point man on the next patrol?
2. The soldier manages to dive behind a ____ to keep from being shot.
(d) Overturned Jeep.
3. After the remaining Vietcong flee, the Americans discover two _____ concealed in a bunker.
(a) Crates of weapons.
(b) Topographical maps.
4. Because Downs managed to capture _____ in the jungle he is given time off from the war.
(a) A suicide bomber.
(d) A village.
5. The platoon ends up in an area referred to as a _____ zone.
(a) Friendly fire.
(c) No fly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Downs' platoon is split into how many parts?
2. Two soldiers are hit by a land mine after walking through a _____.
3. Which group is quickly executed?
4. How many American soldiers are injured during this particular confrontation?
5. One of the civilians is a teenager who is shot in the ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
2. What is the plan issued to Downs by Captain Sells?
3. What happens to the wounded men? What can the soldiers do to save them?
4. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
5. Where are the American soldiers sent to next?
6. The American soldiers stumble upon a Vietcong camp. Describe what happens next.
7. Explain Downs' escape and the attack on the other men.
8. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
9. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
10. Where is the Tam Ky province? How is it similar to the old base camp outside Duc Pho?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)