|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Downs spared from being caught and killed?
(a) An aide pulls Downs away.
(b) The trap fails.
(c) Downs jumps out of the way.
(d) An officer shoots the trap operator.
2. Downs decides to take the time off to fly to which location?
(b) Hai Phong.
(c) Ha Nam.
(d) Duc Pho.
3. The patrol is sent out not to fight but to locate:
(b) A place to land a helicopter.
(c) A new base site.
4. Where is the Tam Ky province located?
(a) North Vietnam.
(b) East Vietnam.
(c) South Vietnam.
(d) West Vietnam.
5. Once he is in the village, Downs notices that the Vietnamese people there are poor and ____.
Short Answer Questions
1. The troops are flown farther north near what large body of water?
2. What emergency procedure is performed to attempt to save the man's life?
3. Downs and his platoon return to which camp?
4. The bridge previously guarded by the men is located on which highway?
5. What unfortunate incident happens to Downs when he must face an enemy.
Short Essay Questions
1. What incident takes place involving the seven civilians? What is the attitude of the soldiers on both sides?
2. What are some of Downs' ongoing complaints regarding the ARVN?
3. Discuss Downs' opinion of the base camp and area surrounding Pleiku.
4. The day after the conflict, there is another ambush. Who is ambushed? The recent events cause the men to have what realization? What is the reaction of the soldiers?
5. Sells sends Downs and his men on a foot patrol. Where does Sells send the men? What change has there been in personnel?
6. Explain the near miss experienced by Lt. Downs in the middle of the jungle.
7. Discuss at least one way in which the American soldiers can attack the Vietcong without being located.
8. Why is Downs angry when Sells releases the two men hiding in the bunker?
9. Discuss Downs' state of mind at this stage of the war. What objections does Downs have about the way the mission is being operated?
10. How is the platoon separated? Who are the leaders? What happens shortly after the separation? What is Downs' reaction to the conflict?
This section contains 843 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)