The Bridges, p. 15-62, Sept. 8th to Oct. 5th
• Lt. Frederick Downs arrives in Vietnam on September 8th, 1967.
• It does not look like an airfield in the middle of a war zone.
• Downs is a Lieutenant, fresh out of OCS, Officer Candidate School.
• Downs sees he is going to the 4th Division, based in Pleiku.
• Downs learns about Pleiku.
• Downs is taken to Duc Pho.
• Author discusses the basic situation in Vietnam.
• Reader learns about the brutality of war.
• Downs sees dead bodies for the first time.
• Downs is assigned to lead the 1st Platoon of Delta Company.
• Downs meets Sergeant Schaldenbrand and Radio Officer, RTO Mann, and Doc.
• Downs receives orders from Company Commander Captain Sells.
• The platoon drives 3 km. south of Montezuma Mountain base camp.
• Downs is surprised to see the normalcy in Duc Pho.
• Downs worries about mines and ambushes.
• The bucolic countryside is...
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)