|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lou claim everyone is capable of listening to?
2. What kind of state does Lou say Elmer was in before he died?
3. What does Lou take out of the woman's drawer?
4. What is Amy's job?
5. What does the proprietor give Lou as he leaves the bar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lou say his car could not have possible made the tracks in the weeds?
2. Why is Lou uncomfortable with Bob and Hendricks?
3. How does Chester react to Elmer's death?
4. Why does Lou say he is worried for Johnnie?
5. How does Lou say he got money from Elmer?
6. How did Mike die?
7. How does Lou deal with Joyce in Chapter 2?
8. How does Lou kill Elmer and Joyce?
9. Why does Lou tell Amy he is not so keen on marrying her just yet?
10. Why is Bob so upset when he arrives back at the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the first person point of view.
1. In what way could you describe the narration as unreliable?
2. What do you think the other characters say about Lou when he is not there?
3. How would the story change if it was told in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
In what does Lou hide his feelings even in the first person narration? How does this suggest that Lou is perhaps not the cold person he makes him out to be?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)