|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the old man in the bunker room in Chapter 33?
2. What weapons do Mark and Alec discover in the Berg's weapons stash in Chapter 48?
3. The narrator says of Mark in Chapter 44, "He had to find Trina. If for no other reason that so he could" what?
4. How much of the population is the group in Alaska planning to wipe out, according to the old man in Chapter 33?
5. Where is the emergency supply room located in the building described in Chapter 47?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is demanded by the gunman in the flashback in Chapter 47? How is the gunman overpowered?
2. What do Mark and Alec overhear once they've entered the Berg headquarters in Chapter 31?
3. Who is the first person that Alec shoots with a Transvice in Chapter 49? What happens when the man is shot?
4. Why does Anton say a revolt is being planned in Chapter 33?
5. What does Alec deduce as he and Mark follow the path of the others in Chapter 29?
6. What leads up to Lana's death in Chapter 55? Who kills Lana?
7. How are the technologies of the Flat Trans and the Transvices described in Chapter 49?
8. What does Alec warn Mark about as they set out on their rescue mission in Chapter 53?
9. How is the entrance to the Berg headquarters described in Chapter 30?
10. Describe Mark's battle with the male pilot in Chapter 42. How does Mark overcome the pilot?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Trina's character changed once she has become infected with the Flare virus? How would you compare the progression of Trina's illness with the other characters in the novel? How does Trina behave differently toward Mark?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the setting of the Berg airbase. How large is this setting? Whom do Mark and Alec encounter when they reach the airbase? What information do they learn about the Bergs from the airbase?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the relationships between Mark and Trina and Alec and Lana in the novel. What are the age differences of these characters? For how long have Lana and Alec known one another? For how long have Mark and Trina been friends?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)