|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
2. When they arrive at the hotel, about what does Alex have a premonition?
3. What does Alex think about Chelgrin?
4. Why do Joanna and Alex go to a residential section of London when they are driving their rental car?
5. Where do Joanna and Alex go?
Essay Topic 1
Alex is clearly smitten with Joanna, and when he asks her to have lunch with him, it makes it seem to the reader that a romance might be in the air, touching on one of the themes of the novel.
1. Discuss what evidence you have seen thus far of romance being one of the themes in this book. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Alex has watched Joanna on stage for a few nights and is "smitten" with her. Does this seem realistic? Why or why not?
3. Alex being smitten with Joanna would seem to be like someone falling for an actor or actress in a movie. Are they falling for a real person or the person that is being portrayed in the part? Discuss this concept with examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Joanna is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a man with a mechanical hand uses a hypodermic needle to do something unclear to her. Joanna always wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Joanna is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something she does not want to know.
1. Why do you think Joanna doesn't want to find out the cause of her nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Joanna's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
Essay Topic 3
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 3,010 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)