|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Alex and Joanna decide to go to San Moritz?
2. What does Alex do in response to the nightmare he had?
3. What does Alex hear coming from a closed door he has found?
4. Why is Marlowe concerned about his employment?
5. How does Carrera get Alex and Joanna out of the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Alex when he wakes up and what does he do immediately? What does he find and what does it make him wonder?
2. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
3. Who does Joanna find when she goes to look for Alex? What does she learn from him? What theme might be suggested by the encounter?
4. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
5. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
6. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
7. Who approaches Joanna and Alex immediately in London? What might the reader wonder and what does the person say that alleviates concern?
8. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
9. What bad decision does Rotenhausen make and how does Joanna use it to save herself?
10. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Chelgrin is introduced for the first time despite having been discussed several times between Alex and Joanna. The reader believes Chelgrin to be an evil man who orchestrated his own daughter's kidnapping. However, when the reader meets Chelgrin, he is almost sympathetic, as though he is as much a victim as his daughter.
1. What were your first impressions of Thomas Chelgrin and how did they change after his encounter with Lisa? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Thomas Chelgrin might have been a victim? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Now that the reader knows how much Thomas Chelgrin has given up in his life for his country would you think him very patriotic? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Joanna encourages Mariko to explore a relationship with Wayne despite the Japanese mindset that is against these types of relationships.
1. After doing research on Japanese culture and women, discuss the ways in which Mariko adheres to gender expectations and ways in which she doesn't.
2. The Japanese culture is against any relationship which involves a Japanese person and a person of another ethnic race or culture. Why do you think a culture would evolve such a stricture? Do you think that informal expectation has changed with the shrinking of the world through the internet and easy travel between parts of the world?
3. Discuss why you believe Mariko should follow her heart and not her culture. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,236 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)