|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the real Thomas Chelgrin?
2. Why is Marlowe concerned about his employment?
3. Where do Joanna and Alex go?
4. What is Mariko hesitant about?
5. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
Essay Topic 1
Mariko then suggests again that Joanna visit her uncle and undergo hypnosis. This is the third time Mariko has mentioned this option, foreshadowing that it would become an avenue Joanna would travel.
1. What do you think a psychiatrist can do to help someone with nightmares?
2. Would you go to a psychiatrist for help with a recurring nightmare?
3. Why do you think many people resist the idea of seeing a psychiatrist? Do you think Joanna is one of those people? Or is it perhaps part of the brainwashing that she has been through?
Essay Topic 2
Alex realizes he has seen Joanna before. She was a kidnap case he worked on. The chances that Alex would end up in the city where this woman has been hiding out for twelve years seems to be astronomical, tipping the reader off to the idea that something may be at work here that is not completely clear at this point.
1. Do you think Alex ending up in a city half way across the world and walking into a lounge where the singer is the woman he had looked for ten years earlier is a stretch of the imagination? Why or why not?
2. After researching narrative contrivance explain, with examples of why you think the above situation may or may not be one.
3. Discuss a remarkable coincidence that has occurred in your life, in the life of someone you knew or one that you heard or read about. Include in your discussion why it might illustrate the saying: "Life is stranger than fiction."
Essay Topic 3
Alex wakes, bound on the floor of a kitchen. Alex manages to break his bindings only to discover that someone has already cut through the rope. When Alex enters the library, he is struck with a sense of familiarity. Alex searches the desk and finds his gun, realizing he had known it would be there. Alex then turns the gun on Chelgrin even though he has no reason to believe Chelgrin means him harm. Alex wants to put the gun down, but he cannot do it. Alex fires the weapon, hitting Chelgrin in the chest.
1. Discuss what the above passages might indicate about Alex's possible situation as to being manipulated. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Alex is responsible for shooting Thomas Chelgrin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Hypnosis professionals say that no one can be made to do anything under hypnosis that is against his/her moral code. Discuss what you think Alex's behavior with shooting Chelgrin might mean in view of this.
This section contains 3,003 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)