|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Marlowe think he needs to do concerning his employment?
2. What was the name of the inn where Alex and Joanna stopped?
3. What does Joanna grab from a nearby tray?
4. Who is Rotenhausen?
5. Why is Marlowe taking so much care driving home in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
2. Who approaches Joanna and Alex immediately in London? What might the reader wonder and what does the person say that alleviates concern?
3. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
4. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
5. How might a reader respond to what is going on with Alex and what is the evidence to suggest that Alex and Joanna are being manipulated?
6. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
7. Where is Alex when he wakes up and what does he do immediately? What does he find and what does it make him wonder?
8. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
9. How is the theme of romance explored in Chapters 42-44?
10. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peterson admits that he and the CIA brainwashed Alex into going to Kyoto to find Joanna so they could follow well-placed clues to bring them to St. Moritz. Peterson says the CIA needed Chelgrin to die before he could be elected President, but could not do it themselves for fear it would tip off the Russians that Chelgrin has been compromised for many years.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if you were Alex?
2. Peterson, a C.I.A. agent freely admits to Alex being brainwashed by the C.I.A. Discuss what you think the possibility is that in real life the C.I.A. would do something like this.
3. Should Alex be considered a hero for taking care of a national security problem for the U.S. government in spite of doing it unknowingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Carrera is not a nice person from his obsession with inflicting pain on himself and his thoughts in regards to killing people for pleasure. The reader feels the malice that Carrera exudes and feels fear for Alex and Joanna, who are surely going to be targets of Carrera's maliciousness.
1. Unfortunately there are a number of people in the world who seem to like to inflict pain on themselves or others. Following research on sadism, discuss why Carrera is a sadist with examples from the book.
2. There is obviously deep seated psychological reasons why someone would derive pleasure from pain, either their own pain or someone else. Is it possible that people who feel this way have some common factors in childhood? Discuss reasons from a childhood you think could form a person to become a sadist.
3. There is great debate in criminal justice circles as to whether someone who commits homicide is mentally ill. Some say anyone who kills another human being except in self defense has to be mentally ill because sane people don't kill other people. Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alex is clearly falling in love despite his protests that love does not exist and that he would never fall in love, especially after such a short time.
1. How long do you think people should know each other before declaring love? Do you think Alex is falling in love or is it just sexual attraction? Why or why not?
2. What are some of the thoughts and behaviors in the text that demonstrate to you that Alex is falling in love with Joanna?
3. There are many psychologist that say there's no such thing as falling in love, it is all just a chemical reaction between two physical bodies. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,288 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)