|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mariko hesitant about?
2. What does Peterson tell Carrera via the phone?
3. What does a woman do to Joanna after she wakes?
4. What does Herr Doktor say after injecting Joanna with a drug?
5. Where do Joanna and Alex take a train to?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
2. What happens to Joanna and Alex when they arrive in St. Moritz? What does Peterson have to do with it and what might a reader be wondering at this point?
3. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
4. How is the theme of romance explored in Chapters 42-44?
5. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
6. How do Alex and Joanna leave London and what happens that surprises Alex? What does this make him suspect?
7. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
8. How does Alex feel about the inn where they stop and what does it make him wonder? What type of theme might his situation bring up?
9. Who does Joanna find when she goes to look for Alex? What does she learn from him? What theme might be suggested by the encounter?
10. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the character pairs below to compare and contrast. Include in the essay a comparison of their personalities, their values and morals, how they view the world, what good and bad exist in each that are the same and different and how they behave in the situations in the book.
1. Joanna and Lisa Chelgrin.
2. Joanna and Mariko.
3. Alex and Carrera.
Essay Topic 2
Mariko then suggests again that Joanna visit her uncle and undergo hypnosis. This is the third time Mariko has mentioned this option, foreshadowing that it would become an avenue Joanna would travel.
1. What do you think a psychiatrist can do to help someone with nightmares?
2. Would you go to a psychiatrist for help with a recurring nightmare?
3. Why do you think many people resist the idea of seeing a psychiatrist? Do you think Joanna is one of those people? Or is it perhaps part of the brainwashing that she has been through?
Essay Topic 3
Joanna has another panic attack due to Alex's story about Lisa Chelgrin. It gets better when Joanna decides not to see Alex again, suggesting Joanna's panic attack is an emotional barrier against emotional connections, a suggestion that is further confirmed when Mariko tells Alex that Joanna almost always has panic attacks when she feels a man is getting too close.
1. After research, discuss Joanna's behavior during her panic attacks and whether you believe her panic attacks are what would be considered classic panic attacks.
2. Why do you think Joanna decides not to see Alex again? Do you think her decision is based on denial of the possible real reasons for her panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. In real life many people, male and female, have a tendency to have negative reactions when they begin to get too close to someone. Discuss why you think a person would want to push someone away because they might be afraid of intimacy, or they might not feel good enough for the person or they are afraid of eventual rejection. These are all common reactions to intimacy. Include in your discussion whether you think Joanna's reaction is based on any of these reasons.
This section contains 1,307 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)