|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alex go to get a new license plate for the rental car?
2. What does Alex learn from a contact at his firm?
3. What is Mariko hesitant about?
4. What is odd about Herr Doktor?
5. In what condition is Alex when he awakes after being kidnapped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
2. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
3. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
4. What else do they discover while Lisa is under hypnosis?
5. How is the theme of romance explored in Chapters 42-44?
6. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
7. What does Joanna reveal under hypnosis about Herr Doktor? How does Alex feel hearing it and what does his reaction suggest to you?
8. Who does Joanna find when she goes to look for Alex? What does she learn from him? What theme might be suggested by the encounter?
9. What bad decision does Rotenhausen make and how does Joanna use it to save herself?
10. What is happening with Alex that might be similar to what was going on with Joanna? What might the reader wonder because of this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Joanna is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a man with a mechanical hand uses a hypodermic needle to do something unclear to her. Joanna always wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Joanna is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something she does not want to know.
1. Why do you think Joanna doesn't want to find out the cause of her nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Joanna's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
This section contains 1,260 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)