|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joanna do when Rotenhausen unstraps her?
2. What does Herr Doktor do while Joanna is still under the influence of the drug?
3. What has Peterson been doing?
4. In what condition does Rotenhausen expect Joanna to be?
5. Who is Rotenhausen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the character pairs below to compare and contrast. Include in the essay a comparison of their personalities, their values and morals, how they view the world, what good and bad exist in each that are the same and different and how they behave in the situations in the book.
1. Joanna and Lisa Chelgrin.
2. Joanna and Mariko.
3. Alex and Carrera.
Essay Topic 2
Peterson admits that he and the CIA brainwashed Alex into going to Kyoto to find Joanna so they could follow well-placed clues to bring them to St. Moritz. Peterson says the CIA needed Chelgrin to die before he could be elected President, but could not do it themselves for fear it would tip off the Russians that Chelgrin has been compromised for many years.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if you were Alex?
2. Peterson, a C.I.A. agent freely admits to Alex being brainwashed by the C.I.A. Discuss what you think the possibility is that in real life the C.I.A. would do something like this.
3. Should Alex be considered a hero for taking care of a national security problem for the U.S. government in spite of doing it unknowingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Mariko then suggests again that Joanna visit her uncle and undergo hypnosis. This is the third time Mariko has mentioned this option, foreshadowing that it would become an avenue Joanna would travel.
1. What do you think a psychiatrist can do to help someone with nightmares?
2. Would you go to a psychiatrist for help with a recurring nightmare?
3. Why do you think many people resist the idea of seeing a psychiatrist? Do you think Joanna is one of those people? Or is it perhaps part of the brainwashing that she has been through?
This section contains 2,992 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)