Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the real Thomas Chelgrin?
2. Why is Marlowe concerned about his employment?
3. Where do Joanna and Alex go?
4. What is Mariko hesitant about?
5. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
Essay Topic 1
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joanna has another panic attack due to Alex's story about Lisa Chelgrin. It gets better when Joanna decides not to see Alex again, suggesting Joanna's panic attack is an emotional barrier against emotional connections, a suggestion that is further confirmed when Mariko tells Alex that Joanna almost always has panic attacks when she feels a man is getting too close.
1. After research, discuss Joanna's behavior during her panic attacks and whether you believe her panic attacks are what would be considered classic panic attacks.
2. Why do you think Joanna decides not to see Alex again? Do you think her decision is based on denial of the possible real reasons for her panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. In real life many people, male and female, have a tendency to have negative reactions when they begin to get too close to someone. Discuss why you think a person would want to push someone away because they might be afraid of intimacy, or they might not feel good enough for the person or they are afraid of eventual rejection. These are all common reactions to intimacy. Include in your discussion whether you think Joanna's reaction is based on any of these reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna encourages Mariko to explore a relationship with Wayne despite the Japanese mindset that is against these types of relationships.
1. After doing research on Japanese culture and women, discuss the ways in which Mariko adheres to gender expectations and ways in which she doesn't.
2. The Japanese culture is against any relationship which involves a Japanese person and a person of another ethnic race or culture. Why do you think a culture would evolve such a stricture? Do you think that informal expectation has changed with the shrinking of the world through the internet and easy travel between parts of the world?
3. Discuss why you believe Mariko should follow her heart and not her culture. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)