Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the real Thomas Chelgrin?
2. Why is Marlowe concerned about his employment?
3. Where do Joanna and Alex go?
4. What is Mariko hesitant about?
5. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
Alex and Joanna read the newspaper clippings about Rotenhausen. They learn that Rotenhausen is a brilliant scientist who developed a brainwashing technique that was considered revolutionary. However, Rotenhausen lost popularity and government support when he suggested the techniques should be used to control entire populations.
1. After researching the term "hackney" discuss why the caricature of a brilliant, but insane scientist could be considered hackney. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Many books, especially in the science fiction genre have been written on controlling the population of the world. Discuss why a government or individual would want to control the population.
3. Discuss, in depth, what human rights would be violated with population control and why it is not a moral idea.
Under further regression, Joanna also reveals that all her memories of Lisa Chelgrin are gone and that she will most likely never recover them. The completeness of this brainwashing should be frightening to the reader, showing how vulnerable Lisa Chelgrin was and how violating Herr Doktor was toward her, both physically and mentally.
1. What do you think is the emotional impact of finding out you are not who you thought you were? Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss in depth the moral and legal implications of what Herr Doktor did to Lisa. Use examples from the text and your own life to support your answer.
3. It would be one thing to find out you were a different person than you thought you were. What would be the farther impact on Lisa of finding out that not only was she a different person than she thought but that her early memories are completely gone so she'll never know exactly who she was?
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)