|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the real Thomas Chelgrin?
2. Why is Marlowe concerned about his employment?
3. Where do Joanna and Alex go?
4. What is Mariko hesitant about?
5. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
Essay Topic 1
Alex is clearly smitten with Joanna, and when he asks her to have lunch with him, it makes it seem to the reader that a romance might be in the air, touching on one of the themes of the novel.
1. Discuss what evidence you have seen thus far of romance being one of the themes in this book. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Alex has watched Joanna on stage for a few nights and is "smitten" with her. Does this seem realistic? Why or why not?
3. Alex being smitten with Joanna would seem to be like someone falling for an actor or actress in a movie. Are they falling for a real person or the person that is being portrayed in the part? Discuss this concept with examples to support your opinion.
Essay Topic 2
Mariko then suggests again that Joanna visit her uncle and undergo hypnosis. This is the third time Mariko has mentioned this option, foreshadowing that it would become an avenue Joanna would travel.
1. What do you think a psychiatrist can do to help someone with nightmares?
2. Would you go to a psychiatrist for help with a recurring nightmare?
3. Why do you think many people resist the idea of seeing a psychiatrist? Do you think Joanna is one of those people? Or is it perhaps part of the brainwashing that she has been through?
Essay Topic 3
Alex is beginning to experience strange phenomenon. Alex has a premonition that Chelgrin is going to be dead and seconds later discovers it is true. Alex also has a nightmare that is eerily similar to Joanna's nightmares. The reader begins to wonder if Alex has suffered something similar to what Joanna underwent.
1. When Alex had his premonition that Chelgrin was dead did you think he was a psychic? Explain why or why not. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Now that Alex has begun to experience nightmares like Joanna do you think they are connected to him having found her in Japan against all odds? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Using logical deduction, and examples from the text, explain why it is probable that if Alex underwent a brainwashing similar to Joanna's the chances are it was done by someone other than Herr Doktor.
This section contains 3,003 words
(approx. 11 pages at 300 words per page)