|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the woman do who comes into Joanna's room in the hypnotic remembering?
2. Where does Alex go to get a new license plate for the rental car?
3. Where does Alex find his gun?
4. What happens to Marlowe's apartment when he enters and turns on the light?
5. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
2. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
3. Where is Alex when he wakes up and what does he do immediately? What does he find and what does it make him wonder?
4. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
5. What else do they discover while Lisa is under hypnosis?
6. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
7. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
8. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
9. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
10. How does Alex feel about the inn where they stop and what does it make him wonder? What type of theme might his situation bring up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Peterson admits that he and the CIA brainwashed Alex into going to Kyoto to find Joanna so they could follow well-placed clues to bring them to St. Moritz. Peterson says the CIA needed Chelgrin to die before he could be elected President, but could not do it themselves for fear it would tip off the Russians that Chelgrin has been compromised for many years.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if you were Alex?
2. Peterson, a C.I.A. agent freely admits to Alex being brainwashed by the C.I.A. Discuss what you think the possibility is that in real life the C.I.A. would do something like this.
3. Should Alex be considered a hero for taking care of a national security problem for the U.S. government in spite of doing it unknowingly? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,381 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)