|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Alex and Joanna buy at a department store?
2. Why do Joanna and Alex go to a residential section of London when they are driving their rental car?
3. Where do Joanna and Alex take a train to?
4. What does a woman do to Joanna after she wakes?
5. What makes Alex so uneasy about the inn where they stopped?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
2. What does Joanna reveal under hypnosis about Herr Doktor? How does Alex feel hearing it and what does his reaction suggest to you?
3. What bad decision does Rotenhausen make and how does Joanna use it to save herself?
4. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
5. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
6. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
7. What is happening with Alex that might be similar to what was going on with Joanna? What might the reader wonder because of this?
8. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
9. How might a reader respond to what is going on with Alex and what is the evidence to suggest that Alex and Joanna are being manipulated?
10. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Alex is clearly falling in love despite his protests that love does not exist and that he would never fall in love, especially after such a short time.
1. How long do you think people should know each other before declaring love? Do you think Alex is falling in love or is it just sexual attraction? Why or why not?
2. What are some of the thoughts and behaviors in the text that demonstrate to you that Alex is falling in love with Joanna?
3. There are many psychologist that say there's no such thing as falling in love, it is all just a chemical reaction between two physical bodies. Do you agree with this statement? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,172 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)