|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Alex respond to the Herr Doktor's activities?
2. What happens to Marlowe's apartment when he enters and turns on the light?
3. What does Joanna do when Rotenhausen unstraps her?
4. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
5. How does Carrera get Alex and Joanna out of the hotel?
Essay Topic 1
Joanna encourages Mariko to explore a relationship with Wayne despite the Japanese mindset that is against these types of relationships.
1. After doing research on Japanese culture and women, discuss the ways in which Mariko adheres to gender expectations and ways in which she doesn't.
2. The Japanese culture is against any relationship which involves a Japanese person and a person of another ethnic race or culture. Why do you think a culture would evolve such a stricture? Do you think that informal expectation has changed with the shrinking of the world through the internet and easy travel between parts of the world?
3. Discuss why you believe Mariko should follow her heart and not her culture. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Joanna has another panic attack due to Alex's story about Lisa Chelgrin. It gets better when Joanna decides not to see Alex again, suggesting Joanna's panic attack is an emotional barrier against emotional connections, a suggestion that is further confirmed when Mariko tells Alex that Joanna almost always has panic attacks when she feels a man is getting too close.
1. After research, discuss Joanna's behavior during her panic attacks and whether you believe her panic attacks are what would be considered classic panic attacks.
2. Why do you think Joanna decides not to see Alex again? Do you think her decision is based on denial of the possible real reasons for her panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. In real life many people, male and female, have a tendency to have negative reactions when they begin to get too close to someone. Discuss why you think a person would want to push someone away because they might be afraid of intimacy, or they might not feel good enough for the person or they are afraid of eventual rejection. These are all common reactions to intimacy. Include in your discussion whether you think Joanna's reaction is based on any of these reasons.
Essay Topic 3
Alex is beginning to experience strange phenomenon. Alex has a premonition that Chelgrin is going to be dead and seconds later discovers it is true. Alex also has a nightmare that is eerily similar to Joanna's nightmares. The reader begins to wonder if Alex has suffered something similar to what Joanna underwent.
1. When Alex had his premonition that Chelgrin was dead did you think he was a psychic? Explain why or why not. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Now that Alex has begun to experience nightmares like Joanna do you think they are connected to him having found her in Japan against all odds? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Using logical deduction, and examples from the text, explain why it is probable that if Alex underwent a brainwashing similar to Joanna's the chances are it was done by someone other than Herr Doktor.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)