Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the real Thomas Chelgrin?
2. Why is Marlowe concerned about his employment?
3. Where do Joanna and Alex go?
4. What is Mariko hesitant about?
5. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
Essay Topic 1
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a man with a mechanical hand uses a hypodermic needle to do something unclear to her. Joanna always wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Joanna is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something she does not want to know.
1. Why do you think Joanna doesn't want to find out the cause of her nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Joanna's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)