|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joanna suggest to Mariko?
2. What does Herr Doktor do when he comes in the room?
3. What do Joanna and Alex have to do after they rent a car to leave England?
4. To whom does Alex thinks the place he is belongs?
5. What does Alex do after he breaks Carrera's grip on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
2. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
3. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
4. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
5. What happens to Alex and Joanna's hotel room and what might this suggest to the reader?
6. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
7. How might a reader respond to what is going on with Alex and what is the evidence to suggest that Alex and Joanna are being manipulated?
8. How do Alex and Joanna leave London and what happens that surprises Alex? What does this make him suspect?
9. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
10. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Joanna encourages Mariko to explore a relationship with Wayne despite the Japanese mindset that is against these types of relationships.
1. After doing research on Japanese culture and women, discuss the ways in which Mariko adheres to gender expectations and ways in which she doesn't.
2. The Japanese culture is against any relationship which involves a Japanese person and a person of another ethnic race or culture. Why do you think a culture would evolve such a stricture? Do you think that informal expectation has changed with the shrinking of the world through the internet and easy travel between parts of the world?
3. Discuss why you believe Mariko should follow her heart and not her culture. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the character pairs below to compare and contrast. Include in the essay a comparison of their personalities, their values and morals, how they view the world, what good and bad exist in each that are the same and different and how they behave in the situations in the book.
1. Joanna and Lisa Chelgrin.
2. Joanna and Mariko.
3. Alex and Carrera.
This section contains 1,182 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)