|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Carrera find Alex after Alex escapes from him?
2. Where do Joanna and Alex fly to from England?
3. What was Alex's nightmare about the night they spent in the inn?
4. What happens when Inamura tries to get Joanna to remember her life as Lisa Chelgrin?
5. What is odd about Herr Doktor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
2. How is the theme of romance explored in Chapters 42-44?
3. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
4. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
5. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
6. Where is Alex when he wakes up and what does he do immediately? What does he find and what does it make him wonder?
7. How do Alex and Joanna leave London and what happens that surprises Alex? What does this make him suspect?
8. How does Alex feel about the inn where they stop and what does it make him wonder? What type of theme might his situation bring up?
9. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
10. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Alex wakes, bound on the floor of a kitchen. Alex manages to break his bindings only to discover that someone has already cut through the rope. When Alex enters the library, he is struck with a sense of familiarity. Alex searches the desk and finds his gun, realizing he had known it would be there. Alex then turns the gun on Chelgrin even though he has no reason to believe Chelgrin means him harm. Alex wants to put the gun down, but he cannot do it. Alex fires the weapon, hitting Chelgrin in the chest.
1. Discuss what the above passages might indicate about Alex's possible situation as to being manipulated. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Alex is responsible for shooting Thomas Chelgrin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Hypnosis professionals say that no one can be made to do anything under hypnosis that is against his/her moral code. Discuss what you think Alex's behavior with shooting Chelgrin might mean in view of this.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna suddenly begins reciting an odd sentence. Alex recognizes the line from a science fiction novel called The Demolished Man. Inamura has gotten a copy of The Demolished Man and uses it to give Joanna an answering sentence to overcome the posthypnotic suggestion that has blocked her answers to Inamura's questions.
1. Discuss symbolism in literature and why the book used for Joanna's post hypnotic sentence was an example of symbolism.
2. The Demolished Man is a novel, a full length book. Discuss narrative contrivance in view of Inamura being able to find the exact sentence to bring Joanna out of the suggestion in an entire book.
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Inamura and how he uses hypnosis and Herr Doktor and his techniques. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,326 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)