|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joanna suggest to Mariko?
2. What does Carrera do to the woman who is at his house?
3. What does Alex do with it after he finds his gun?
4. What does Alex hear coming from a closed door he has found?
5. What does the woman do who comes into Joanna's room in the hypnotic remembering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
2. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
3. How is the theme of romance explored in Chapters 42-44?
4. What happens to Joanna and Alex when they arrive in St. Moritz? What does Peterson have to do with it and what might a reader be wondering at this point?
5. What happens to Alex and Joanna's hotel room and what might this suggest to the reader?
6. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
7. What bad decision does Rotenhausen make and how does Joanna use it to save herself?
8. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
9. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
10. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joanna suddenly begins reciting an odd sentence. Alex recognizes the line from a science fiction novel called The Demolished Man. Inamura has gotten a copy of The Demolished Man and uses it to give Joanna an answering sentence to overcome the posthypnotic suggestion that has blocked her answers to Inamura's questions.
1. Discuss symbolism in literature and why the book used for Joanna's post hypnotic sentence was an example of symbolism.
2. The Demolished Man is a novel, a full length book. Discuss narrative contrivance in view of Inamura being able to find the exact sentence to bring Joanna out of the suggestion in an entire book.
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Inamura and how he uses hypnosis and Herr Doktor and his techniques. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Alex realizes he has seen Joanna before. She was a kidnap case he worked on. The chances that Alex would end up in the city where this woman has been hiding out for twelve years seems to be astronomical, tipping the reader off to the idea that something may be at work here that is not completely clear at this point.
1. Do you think Alex ending up in a city half way across the world and walking into a lounge where the singer is the woman he had looked for ten years earlier is a stretch of the imagination? Why or why not?
2. After researching narrative contrivance explain, with examples of why you think the above situation may or may not be one.
3. Discuss a remarkable coincidence that has occurred in your life, in the life of someone you knew or one that you heard or read about. Include in your discussion why it might illustrate the saying: "Life is stranger than fiction."
Essay Topic 3
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)