|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Joanna decide to take too many sleeping pills?
2. What happens as they look at the photos?
3. What does Kennedy tell Alex about the briefcase?
4. What does the man say in response?
5. Why does Alex not want to rush their relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
2. What do Alex and Joanna do after eating lunch?
3. Where does Alex go with Joanna and what becomes clear to them about her?
4. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
5. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
6. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
7. Describe what happens in Joanna's session with Inamura.
8. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
9. Emotionally, how might the reader respond to the malice Carrera seems to carry?
10. What does Joanna finally decide about her nightmares and why do you think Alex agreed to help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joanna suddenly begins reciting an odd sentence. Alex recognizes the line from a science fiction novel called The Demolished Man. Inamura has gotten a copy of The Demolished Man and uses it to give Joanna an answering sentence to overcome the posthypnotic suggestion that has blocked her answers to Inamura's questions.
1. Discuss symbolism in literature and why the book used for Joanna's post hypnotic sentence was an example of symbolism.
2. The Demolished Man is a novel, a full length book. Discuss narrative contrivance in view of Inamura being able to find the exact sentence to bring Joanna out of the suggestion in an entire book.
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Inamura and how he uses hypnosis and Herr Doktor and his techniques. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a man with a mechanical hand uses a hypodermic needle to do something unclear to her. Joanna always wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Joanna is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something she does not want to know.
1. Why do you think Joanna doesn't want to find out the cause of her nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Joanna's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)