|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex call Joanna?
2. What is the Moonglow Lounge?
3. Who is Wayne Kennedy?
4. What does Joanna agree to do?
5. What is the Demolished Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Emotionally, how might the reader respond to the malice Carrera seems to carry?
2. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
3. What does Alex tell Joanna about love and how does she feel about his assertions? What might this conversation establish for the reader?
4. What does Alex realize about Joanna when he keeps thinking about her?
5. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
6. What nightmare awakens Joanna at the beginning of the novel and what does she do when she gets up?
7. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
8. Who comes to the hospital and sits with Wayne and why do you think this person does that?
9. What does Joanna have when she gets back in her apartment and what do you think might be the reason?
10. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Carrera is not a nice person from his obsession with inflicting pain on himself and his thoughts in regards to killing people for pleasure. The reader feels the malice that Carrera exudes and feels fear for Alex and Joanna, who are surely going to be targets of Carrera's maliciousness.
1. Unfortunately there are a number of people in the world who seem to like to inflict pain on themselves or others. Following research on sadism, discuss why Carrera is a sadist with examples from the book.
2. There is obviously deep seated psychological reasons why someone would derive pleasure from pain, either their own pain or someone else. Is it possible that people who feel this way have some common factors in childhood? Discuss reasons from a childhood you think could form a person to become a sadist.
3. There is great debate in criminal justice circles as to whether someone who commits homicide is mentally ill. Some say anyone who kills another human being except in self defense has to be mentally ill because sane people don't kill other people. Do you agree with this? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joanna is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a man with a mechanical hand uses a hypodermic needle to do something unclear to her. Joanna always wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Joanna is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something she does not want to know.
1. Why do you think Joanna doesn't want to find out the cause of her nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Joanna's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
Essay Topic 3
Alex subdues a tail that has been put on him. The man is a professional and will not tell Alex who his bosses are despite the gun Alex holds on him. However, the man does warn Alex that he will die if he continues to pursue Joanna or her past. This promise injects danger into the plot, increasing the tension within the novel's tone and promising more intrigue as the story continues to unfold.
1. What do you think is the difference between mystery and suspense?
2. Do you think the scene at the end of chapter 17 with Alex and the man following him would be a scene more in a mystery novel or suspense novel? Explain your reasoning.
3. In what genre would you place this novel and why?
4. Do you prefer mystery or suspense? Why?
This section contains 1,105 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)