|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Joanna born?
2. Why does Joanna decide to take too many sleeping pills?
3. When Alex is fighting the man, what happens to stop the fight?
4. Where is Joanna in Chapter 1?
5. From where does Chelgrin's daughter disappear?
Short Essay Questions
1. Emotionally, how might the reader respond to the malice Carrera seems to carry?
2. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
3. What new character is introduced in Chapter 32 and what might the reader suspect about him and why?
4. Describe what happens in Joanna's session with Inamura.
5. What does Alex do at the hospital, who does he call, and what does he tell that person?
6. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
7. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
8. What does Joanna do in response to her depression and her decision to push Alex away?
9. How does Joanna wake from her recurring nightmare? How often does she have it and why do you think she will not do anything about it?
10. What nightmare awakens Joanna at the beginning of the novel and what does she do when she gets up?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joanna has another panic attack due to Alex's story about Lisa Chelgrin. It gets better when Joanna decides not to see Alex again, suggesting Joanna's panic attack is an emotional barrier against emotional connections, a suggestion that is further confirmed when Mariko tells Alex that Joanna almost always has panic attacks when she feels a man is getting too close.
1. After research, discuss Joanna's behavior during her panic attacks and whether you believe her panic attacks are what would be considered classic panic attacks.
2. Why do you think Joanna decides not to see Alex again? Do you think her decision is based on denial of the possible real reasons for her panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. In real life many people, male and female, have a tendency to have negative reactions when they begin to get too close to someone. Discuss why you think a person would want to push someone away because they might be afraid of intimacy, or they might not feel good enough for the person or they are afraid of eventual rejection. These are all common reactions to intimacy. Include in your discussion whether you think Joanna's reaction is based on any of these reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alex is clearly smitten with Joanna, and when he asks her to have lunch with him, it makes it seem to the reader that a romance might be in the air, touching on one of the themes of the novel.
1. Discuss what evidence you have seen thus far of romance being one of the themes in this book. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Alex has watched Joanna on stage for a few nights and is "smitten" with her. Does this seem realistic? Why or why not?
3. Alex being smitten with Joanna would seem to be like someone falling for an actor or actress in a movie. Are they falling for a real person or the person that is being portrayed in the part? Discuss this concept with examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)