|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alex aware of when he drives back to his hotel?
2. Who is Wayne Kennedy?
3. What does the man say in response?
4. What does Joanna say when Inamura asks what is outside the window?
5. Where do Alex and Joanna go after the Nijo Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alex and Joanna do after eating lunch?
2. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
3. What does Alex tell Joanna about Thomas Chelgrin and his daugther?
4. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
5. Who comes to the hospital and sits with Wayne and why do you think this person does that?
6. What evidence does Joanna show Alex and what does he do with it?
7. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
8. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
9. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
10. Emotionally, how might the reader respond to the malice Carrera seems to carry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joanna encourages Mariko to explore a relationship with Wayne despite the Japanese mindset that is against these types of relationships.
1. After doing research on Japanese culture and women, discuss the ways in which Mariko adheres to gender expectations and ways in which she doesn't.
2. The Japanese culture is against any relationship which involves a Japanese person and a person of another ethnic race or culture. Why do you think a culture would evolve such a stricture? Do you think that informal expectation has changed with the shrinking of the world through the internet and easy travel between parts of the world?
3. Discuss why you believe Mariko should follow her heart and not her culture. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Alex wakes, bound on the floor of a kitchen. Alex manages to break his bindings only to discover that someone has already cut through the rope. When Alex enters the library, he is struck with a sense of familiarity. Alex searches the desk and finds his gun, realizing he had known it would be there. Alex then turns the gun on Chelgrin even though he has no reason to believe Chelgrin means him harm. Alex wants to put the gun down, but he cannot do it. Alex fires the weapon, hitting Chelgrin in the chest.
1. Discuss what the above passages might indicate about Alex's possible situation as to being manipulated. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Alex is responsible for shooting Thomas Chelgrin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Hypnosis professionals say that no one can be made to do anything under hypnosis that is against his/her moral code. Discuss what you think Alex's behavior with shooting Chelgrin might mean in view of this.
Essay Topic 3
Alex subdues a tail that has been put on him. The man is a professional and will not tell Alex who his bosses are despite the gun Alex holds on him. However, the man does warn Alex that he will die if he continues to pursue Joanna or her past. This promise injects danger into the plot, increasing the tension within the novel's tone and promising more intrigue as the story continues to unfold.
1. What do you think is the difference between mystery and suspense?
2. Do you think the scene at the end of chapter 17 with Alex and the man following him would be a scene more in a mystery novel or suspense novel? Explain your reasoning.
3. In what genre would you place this novel and why?
4. Do you prefer mystery or suspense? Why?
This section contains 1,092 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)