|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex do when he hears about Joanna?
2. Why does Mariko think Joanna should see a psychiatrist?
3. Of what does Omi Inamura warn Joanna?
4. How can Joanna afford to open a nightclub?
5. Where does Inamura next take Joanna in the session?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alex show Joanna and how does she feel about it?
2. Who comes to the hospital and sits with Wayne and why do you think this person does that?
3. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
4. What does Alex do at the hospital, who does he call, and what does he tell that person?
5. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
6. Describe what happens in Joanna's session with Inamura.
7. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
8. What does Mariko tell Alex about Joanna and men?
9. What do Alex and Joanna do after eating lunch?
10. Who does Alex call in connection with Joanna and what does he learn? What does Joanna do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex subdues a tail that has been put on him. The man is a professional and will not tell Alex who his bosses are despite the gun Alex holds on him. However, the man does warn Alex that he will die if he continues to pursue Joanna or her past. This promise injects danger into the plot, increasing the tension within the novel's tone and promising more intrigue as the story continues to unfold.
1. What do you think is the difference between mystery and suspense?
2. Do you think the scene at the end of chapter 17 with Alex and the man following him would be a scene more in a mystery novel or suspense novel? Explain your reasoning.
3. In what genre would you place this novel and why?
4. Do you prefer mystery or suspense? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Alex is beginning to experience strange phenomenon. Alex has a premonition that Chelgrin is going to be dead and seconds later discovers it is true. Alex also has a nightmare that is eerily similar to Joanna's nightmares. The reader begins to wonder if Alex has suffered something similar to what Joanna underwent.
1. When Alex had his premonition that Chelgrin was dead did you think he was a psychic? Explain why or why not. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Now that Alex has begun to experience nightmares like Joanna do you think they are connected to him having found her in Japan against all odds? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Using logical deduction, and examples from the text, explain why it is probable that if Alex underwent a brainwashing similar to Joanna's the chances are it was done by someone other than Herr Doktor.
Essay Topic 3
Peterson admits that he and the CIA brainwashed Alex into going to Kyoto to find Joanna so they could follow well-placed clues to bring them to St. Moritz. Peterson says the CIA needed Chelgrin to die before he could be elected President, but could not do it themselves for fear it would tip off the Russians that Chelgrin has been compromised for many years.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if you were Alex?
2. Peterson, a C.I.A. agent freely admits to Alex being brainwashed by the C.I.A. Discuss what you think the possibility is that in real life the C.I.A. would do something like this.
3. Should Alex be considered a hero for taking care of a national security problem for the U.S. government in spite of doing it unknowingly? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)