|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Inamura next take Joanna in the session?
2. What does Joanna do after her set?
3. What proof does the letters Joanna has offer of her past?
4. What happens as they look at the photos?
5. What does Inamura think is the reason for the panic attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joanna finally decide about her nightmares and why do you think Alex agreed to help?
2. How might a reader respond to what is going on with Alex and what is the evidence to suggest that Alex and Joanna are being manipulated?
3. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
4. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
5. What does Joanna reveal under hypnosis about Herr Doktor? How does Alex feel hearing it and what does his reaction suggest to you?
6. Who comes to the hospital and sits with Wayne and why do you think this person does that?
7. What does Carrera learn about Joanna from a phone call and how does he respond? What might the reader deduce from this response?
8. How does Joanna wake from her recurring nightmare? How often does she have it and why do you think she will not do anything about it?
9. Who does Alex call in connection with Joanna and what does he learn? What does Joanna do?
10. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex subdues a tail that has been put on him. The man is a professional and will not tell Alex who his bosses are despite the gun Alex holds on him. However, the man does warn Alex that he will die if he continues to pursue Joanna or her past. This promise injects danger into the plot, increasing the tension within the novel's tone and promising more intrigue as the story continues to unfold.
1. What do you think is the difference between mystery and suspense?
2. Do you think the scene at the end of chapter 17 with Alex and the man following him would be a scene more in a mystery novel or suspense novel? Explain your reasoning.
3. In what genre would you place this novel and why?
4. Do you prefer mystery or suspense? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Joanna encourages Mariko to explore a relationship with Wayne despite the Japanese mindset that is against these types of relationships.
1. After doing research on Japanese culture and women, discuss the ways in which Mariko adheres to gender expectations and ways in which she doesn't.
2. The Japanese culture is against any relationship which involves a Japanese person and a person of another ethnic race or culture. Why do you think a culture would evolve such a stricture? Do you think that informal expectation has changed with the shrinking of the world through the internet and easy travel between parts of the world?
3. Discuss why you believe Mariko should follow her heart and not her culture. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Thomas Chelgrin is introduced for the first time despite having been discussed several times between Alex and Joanna. The reader believes Chelgrin to be an evil man who orchestrated his own daughter's kidnapping. However, when the reader meets Chelgrin, he is almost sympathetic, as though he is as much a victim as his daughter.
1. What were your first impressions of Thomas Chelgrin and how did they change after his encounter with Lisa? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Thomas Chelgrin might have been a victim? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Now that the reader knows how much Thomas Chelgrin has given up in his life for his country would you think him very patriotic? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 3,563 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)