Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joanna say she is doing in the room?
2. Who is Wayne Kennedy?
3. What does Alex suspect when he enters his motel room?
4. What is Joanna's response?
5. What is happening in Joanna's nightmare?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
2. Emotionally, how might the reader respond to the malice Carrera seems to carry?
3. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
4. How might a reader respond to what is going on with Alex and what is the evidence to suggest that Alex and Joanna are being manipulated?
5. With all the evidence in place, what does Mariko suggests? What might this foreshadow and what is the ultimate outcome?
6. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
7. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
8. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
9. What does Mariko tell Alex about Joanna and men?
10. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
Essay Topic 1
Alex wakes, bound on the floor of a kitchen. Alex manages to break his bindings only to discover that someone has already cut through the rope. When Alex enters the library, he is struck with a sense of familiarity. Alex searches the desk and finds his gun, realizing he had known it would be there. Alex then turns the gun on Chelgrin even though he has no reason to believe Chelgrin means him harm. Alex wants to put the gun down, but he cannot do it. Alex fires the weapon, hitting Chelgrin in the chest.
1. Discuss what the above passages might indicate about Alex's possible situation as to being manipulated. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Alex is responsible for shooting Thomas Chelgrin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Hypnosis professionals say that no one can be made to do anything under hypnosis that is against his/her moral code. Discuss what you think Alex's behavior with shooting Chelgrin might mean in view of this.
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Chelgrin is introduced for the first time despite having been discussed several times between Alex and Joanna. The reader believes Chelgrin to be an evil man who orchestrated his own daughter's kidnapping. However, when the reader meets Chelgrin, he is almost sympathetic, as though he is as much a victim as his daughter.
1. What were your first impressions of Thomas Chelgrin and how did they change after his encounter with Lisa? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Thomas Chelgrin might have been a victim? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Now that the reader knows how much Thomas Chelgrin has given up in his life for his country would you think him very patriotic? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,240 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)