|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an indication that the man who Alex attacks is a professional?
2. About what does Alex ask detailed questions?
3. What does Joanna's private physician decide?
4. Who is Ignacio Carrera?
5. Where is Joanna in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joanna wake from her recurring nightmare? How often does she have it and why do you think she will not do anything about it?
2. What does Alex show Joanna and how does she feel about it?
3. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
4. What does Alex do at the hospital, who does he call, and what does he tell that person?
5. Where does Alex go with Joanna and what becomes clear to them about her?
6. What happens to Joanna that might suggest she is Lisa? What do you think it might mean?
7. What does Alex tell Joanna about Thomas Chelgrin and his daugther?
8. Why would Alex know about Lisa Chelgrin?
9. What do Alex and Joanna do after eating lunch?
10. Who does Alex call in connection with Joanna and what does he learn? What does Joanna do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joanna is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a man with a mechanical hand uses a hypodermic needle to do something unclear to her. Joanna always wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Joanna is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something she does not want to know.
1. Why do you think Joanna doesn't want to find out the cause of her nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Joanna's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
Essay Topic 2
Peterson admits that he and the CIA brainwashed Alex into going to Kyoto to find Joanna so they could follow well-placed clues to bring them to St. Moritz. Peterson says the CIA needed Chelgrin to die before he could be elected President, but could not do it themselves for fear it would tip off the Russians that Chelgrin has been compromised for many years.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if you were Alex?
2. Peterson, a C.I.A. agent freely admits to Alex being brainwashed by the C.I.A. Discuss what you think the possibility is that in real life the C.I.A. would do something like this.
3. Should Alex be considered a hero for taking care of a national security problem for the U.S. government in spite of doing it unknowingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alex is beginning to experience strange phenomenon. Alex has a premonition that Chelgrin is going to be dead and seconds later discovers it is true. Alex also has a nightmare that is eerily similar to Joanna's nightmares. The reader begins to wonder if Alex has suffered something similar to what Joanna underwent.
1. When Alex had his premonition that Chelgrin was dead did you think he was a psychic? Explain why or why not. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Now that Alex has begun to experience nightmares like Joanna do you think they are connected to him having found her in Japan against all odds? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Using logical deduction, and examples from the text, explain why it is probable that if Alex underwent a brainwashing similar to Joanna's the chances are it was done by someone other than Herr Doktor.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)