|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is required before Joanna can give any more information?
2. Why does Joanna decide to take too many sleeping pills?
3. What does Joanna tell Alex about the dream?
4. Why is Joanna depressed?
5. What does Inamura think is the reason for the panic attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Alex call in connection with Joanna and what does he learn? What does Joanna do?
2. What has happened to Wayne Kennedy and how is he reacting to it?
3. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
4. Describe what happens in Joanna's session with Inamura.
5. How does Joanna wake from her recurring nightmare? How often does she have it and why do you think she will not do anything about it?
6. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
7. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
8. What does Joanna finally decide about her nightmares and why do you think Alex agreed to help?
9. What does Alex realize about Joanna when he keeps thinking about her?
10. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex is beginning to experience strange phenomenon. Alex has a premonition that Chelgrin is going to be dead and seconds later discovers it is true. Alex also has a nightmare that is eerily similar to Joanna's nightmares. The reader begins to wonder if Alex has suffered something similar to what Joanna underwent.
1. When Alex had his premonition that Chelgrin was dead did you think he was a psychic? Explain why or why not. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Now that Alex has begun to experience nightmares like Joanna do you think they are connected to him having found her in Japan against all odds? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Using logical deduction, and examples from the text, explain why it is probable that if Alex underwent a brainwashing similar to Joanna's the chances are it was done by someone other than Herr Doktor.
Essay Topic 2
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna suddenly begins reciting an odd sentence. Alex recognizes the line from a science fiction novel called The Demolished Man. Inamura has gotten a copy of The Demolished Man and uses it to give Joanna an answering sentence to overcome the posthypnotic suggestion that has blocked her answers to Inamura's questions.
1. Discuss symbolism in literature and why the book used for Joanna's post hypnotic sentence was an example of symbolism.
2. The Demolished Man is a novel, a full length book. Discuss narrative contrivance in view of Inamura being able to find the exact sentence to bring Joanna out of the suggestion in an entire book.
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Inamura and how he uses hypnosis and Herr Doktor and his techniques. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)