|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the star attraction in the lounge of Joanna's nightclub?
2. What is Joanna's response?
3. What does Joanna say when Inamura first asks her about the name Lisa Chelgrin?
4. What is the Demolished Man?
5. What does Joanna say she is doing in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Joanna born and why is she in Japan?
2. Why would Alex know about Lisa Chelgrin?
3. What does Alex tell Joanna when they meet and how does she respond?
4. What nightmare awakens Joanna at the beginning of the novel and what does she do when she gets up?
5. What does Alex show Joanna and how does she feel about it?
6. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
7. What does Alex realize about Joanna when he keeps thinking about her?
8. What do Alex and Joanna do after eating lunch?
9. What does Mariko encourage Alex to do and why?
10. What do you think the episode with Wayne shows about the people who kidnapped Lisa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Chelgrin is introduced for the first time despite having been discussed several times between Alex and Joanna. The reader believes Chelgrin to be an evil man who orchestrated his own daughter's kidnapping. However, when the reader meets Chelgrin, he is almost sympathetic, as though he is as much a victim as his daughter.
1. What were your first impressions of Thomas Chelgrin and how did they change after his encounter with Lisa? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Thomas Chelgrin might have been a victim? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Now that the reader knows how much Thomas Chelgrin has given up in his life for his country would you think him very patriotic? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Peterson admits that he and the CIA brainwashed Alex into going to Kyoto to find Joanna so they could follow well-placed clues to bring them to St. Moritz. Peterson says the CIA needed Chelgrin to die before he could be elected President, but could not do it themselves for fear it would tip off the Russians that Chelgrin has been compromised for many years.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if you were Alex?
2. Peterson, a C.I.A. agent freely admits to Alex being brainwashed by the C.I.A. Discuss what you think the possibility is that in real life the C.I.A. would do something like this.
3. Should Alex be considered a hero for taking care of a national security problem for the U.S. government in spite of doing it unknowingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the character pairs below to compare and contrast. Include in the essay a comparison of their personalities, their values and morals, how they view the world, what good and bad exist in each that are the same and different and how they behave in the situations in the book.
1. Joanna and Lisa Chelgrin.
2. Joanna and Mariko.
3. Alex and Carrera.
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)