|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what does Joanna assure everyone?
2. What does Alex discover when he gets to the Moonglow?
3. How does Inaumra quell the panic attack?
4. What does Alex do when he hears about Joanna?
5. What is the Demolished Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where was Joanna born and why is she in Japan?
2. Why would Alex know about Lisa Chelgrin?
3. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
4. What happens to Joanna that might suggest she is Lisa? What do you think it might mean?
5. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
6. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
7. What does Mariko tell Alex about Joanna and men?
8. What nightmare awakens Joanna at the beginning of the novel and what does she do when she gets up?
9. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
10. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joanna suddenly begins reciting an odd sentence. Alex recognizes the line from a science fiction novel called The Demolished Man. Inamura has gotten a copy of The Demolished Man and uses it to give Joanna an answering sentence to overcome the posthypnotic suggestion that has blocked her answers to Inamura's questions.
1. Discuss symbolism in literature and why the book used for Joanna's post hypnotic sentence was an example of symbolism.
2. The Demolished Man is a novel, a full length book. Discuss narrative contrivance in view of Inamura being able to find the exact sentence to bring Joanna out of the suggestion in an entire book.
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Inamura and how he uses hypnosis and Herr Doktor and his techniques. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the character pairs below to compare and contrast. Include in the essay a comparison of their personalities, their values and morals, how they view the world, what good and bad exist in each that are the same and different and how they behave in the situations in the book.
1. Joanna and Lisa Chelgrin.
2. Joanna and Mariko.
3. Alex and Carrera.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna has another panic attack due to Alex's story about Lisa Chelgrin. It gets better when Joanna decides not to see Alex again, suggesting Joanna's panic attack is an emotional barrier against emotional connections, a suggestion that is further confirmed when Mariko tells Alex that Joanna almost always has panic attacks when she feels a man is getting too close.
1. After research, discuss Joanna's behavior during her panic attacks and whether you believe her panic attacks are what would be considered classic panic attacks.
2. Why do you think Joanna decides not to see Alex again? Do you think her decision is based on denial of the possible real reasons for her panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. In real life many people, male and female, have a tendency to have negative reactions when they begin to get too close to someone. Discuss why you think a person would want to push someone away because they might be afraid of intimacy, or they might not feel good enough for the person or they are afraid of eventual rejection. These are all common reactions to intimacy. Include in your discussion whether you think Joanna's reaction is based on any of these reasons.
This section contains 1,098 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)