|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the phone number on the lawyer's letter ring?
2. With what is Alex enchanted?
3. Who is waiting for Joanna to start her first set of the night?
4. What is in the briefcase?
5. What is Joanna's response?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Alex call in connection with Joanna and what does he learn? What does Joanna do?
2. What does Alex do at the hospital, who does he call, and what does he tell that person?
3. What does Joanna do in response to her depression and her decision to push Alex away?
4. With all the evidence in place, what does Mariko suggests? What might this foreshadow and what is the ultimate outcome?
5. What does Alex tell Joanna when they meet and how does she respond?
6. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
7. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
8. What nightmare awakens Joanna at the beginning of the novel and what does she do when she gets up?
9. Emotionally, how might the reader respond to the malice Carrera seems to carry?
10. What evidence does Joanna show Alex and what does he do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mariko then suggests again that Joanna visit her uncle and undergo hypnosis. This is the third time Mariko has mentioned this option, foreshadowing that it would become an avenue Joanna would travel.
1. What do you think a psychiatrist can do to help someone with nightmares?
2. Would you go to a psychiatrist for help with a recurring nightmare?
3. Why do you think many people resist the idea of seeing a psychiatrist? Do you think Joanna is one of those people? Or is it perhaps part of the brainwashing that she has been through?
Essay Topic 2
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)