|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the phone call to Alex about the next morning?
2. Who does Alex attack?
3. Why does Mariko think Joanna should see a psychiatrist?
4. What frustrates Joanna so much?
5. How can Joanna afford to open a nightclub?
Short Essay Questions
1. With all the evidence in place, what does Mariko suggests? What might this foreshadow and what is the ultimate outcome?
2. How does Joanna wake from her recurring nightmare? How often does she have it and why do you think she will not do anything about it?
3. What does Alex tell Joanna about Thomas Chelgrin and his daugther?
4. Where was Joanna born and why is she in Japan?
5. Why would Alex know about Lisa Chelgrin?
6. What does Mariko encourage Alex to do and why?
7. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
8. What does Alex tell Joanna about love and how does she feel about his assertions? What might this conversation establish for the reader?
9. What does Joanna have when she gets back in her apartment and what do you think might be the reason?
10. What does Mariko tell Alex about Joanna and men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex wakes, bound on the floor of a kitchen. Alex manages to break his bindings only to discover that someone has already cut through the rope. When Alex enters the library, he is struck with a sense of familiarity. Alex searches the desk and finds his gun, realizing he had known it would be there. Alex then turns the gun on Chelgrin even though he has no reason to believe Chelgrin means him harm. Alex wants to put the gun down, but he cannot do it. Alex fires the weapon, hitting Chelgrin in the chest.
1. Discuss what the above passages might indicate about Alex's possible situation as to being manipulated. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Alex is responsible for shooting Thomas Chelgrin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Hypnosis professionals say that no one can be made to do anything under hypnosis that is against his/her moral code. Discuss what you think Alex's behavior with shooting Chelgrin might mean in view of this.
Essay Topic 2
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,152 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)