|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Alex is fighting the man, what happens to stop the fight?
2. What is required before Joanna can give any more information?
3. Who calls Alex about Joanna?
4. What reason does Joanna offer Alex for her panic attack?
5. What does Joanna say when Inamura first asks her about the name Lisa Chelgrin?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
2. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
3. What nightmare awakens Joanna at the beginning of the novel and what does she do when she gets up?
4. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
5. What does Alex tell Joanna when they meet and how does she respond?
6. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
7. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
8. What does Alex show Joanna and how does she feel about it?
9. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
10. What do you think the episode with Wayne shows about the people who kidnapped Lisa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thomas Chelgrin is introduced for the first time despite having been discussed several times between Alex and Joanna. The reader believes Chelgrin to be an evil man who orchestrated his own daughter's kidnapping. However, when the reader meets Chelgrin, he is almost sympathetic, as though he is as much a victim as his daughter.
1. What were your first impressions of Thomas Chelgrin and how did they change after his encounter with Lisa? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Thomas Chelgrin might have been a victim? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Now that the reader knows how much Thomas Chelgrin has given up in his life for his country would you think him very patriotic? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alex is clearly smitten with Joanna, and when he asks her to have lunch with him, it makes it seem to the reader that a romance might be in the air, touching on one of the themes of the novel.
1. Discuss what evidence you have seen thus far of romance being one of the themes in this book. Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. Alex has watched Joanna on stage for a few nights and is "smitten" with her. Does this seem realistic? Why or why not?
3. Alex being smitten with Joanna would seem to be like someone falling for an actor or actress in a movie. Are they falling for a real person or the person that is being portrayed in the part? Discuss this concept with examples to support your opinion.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)