|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When a man seems to be getting too close to Joanna, what happens?
2. What does Alex start believing is wrong with Joanna?
3. Who calls Alex about Joanna?
4. Why does Alex know about the missing daughter of the Senator?
5. What does Mariko suggest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
2. What do Alex and Joanna do after eating lunch?
3. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
4. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
5. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
6. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
7. What does Joanna do in response to her depression and her decision to push Alex away?
8. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
9. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
10. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Joanna encourages Mariko to explore a relationship with Wayne despite the Japanese mindset that is against these types of relationships.
1. After doing research on Japanese culture and women, discuss the ways in which Mariko adheres to gender expectations and ways in which she doesn't.
2. The Japanese culture is against any relationship which involves a Japanese person and a person of another ethnic race or culture. Why do you think a culture would evolve such a stricture? Do you think that informal expectation has changed with the shrinking of the world through the internet and easy travel between parts of the world?
3. Discuss why you believe Mariko should follow her heart and not her culture. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
This section contains 3,513 words
(approx. 12 pages at 300 words per page)