|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is an indication that the man who Alex attacks is a professional?
2. Why is Joanna depressed?
3. What is the Moonglow Lounge?
4. What does Thomas survive?
5. What seems to match completely?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
2. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
3. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
4. What do Alex and Joanna do after eating lunch?
5. Where does Alex go with Joanna and what becomes clear to them about her?
6. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
7. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
8. Why would Alex know about Lisa Chelgrin?
9. How does Joanna wake from her recurring nightmare? How often does she have it and why do you think she will not do anything about it?
10. Who does Alex call in connection with Joanna and what does he learn? What does Joanna do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the character pairs below to compare and contrast. Include in the essay a comparison of their personalities, their values and morals, how they view the world, what good and bad exist in each that are the same and different and how they behave in the situations in the book.
1. Joanna and Lisa Chelgrin.
2. Joanna and Mariko.
3. Alex and Carrera.
Essay Topic 2
Thomas Chelgrin is introduced for the first time despite having been discussed several times between Alex and Joanna. The reader believes Chelgrin to be an evil man who orchestrated his own daughter's kidnapping. However, when the reader meets Chelgrin, he is almost sympathetic, as though he is as much a victim as his daughter.
1. What were your first impressions of Thomas Chelgrin and how did they change after his encounter with Lisa? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Why do you think Thomas Chelgrin might have been a victim? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Now that the reader knows how much Thomas Chelgrin has given up in his life for his country would you think him very patriotic? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Joanna encourages Mariko to explore a relationship with Wayne despite the Japanese mindset that is against these types of relationships.
1. After doing research on Japanese culture and women, discuss the ways in which Mariko adheres to gender expectations and ways in which she doesn't.
2. The Japanese culture is against any relationship which involves a Japanese person and a person of another ethnic race or culture. Why do you think a culture would evolve such a stricture? Do you think that informal expectation has changed with the shrinking of the world through the internet and easy travel between parts of the world?
3. Discuss why you believe Mariko should follow her heart and not her culture. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)