|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alex aware of when he drives back to his hotel?
2. Of what does Omi Inamura warn Joanna?
3. Who joins Alex to sit with Wayne?
4. With what is Alex enchanted?
5. Where does Kennedy go after speaking with Alex?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mariko tell Alex about Joanna and men?
2. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
3. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
4. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
5. What new character is introduced in Chapter 32 and what might the reader suspect about him and why?
6. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
7. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
8. What has happened to Wayne Kennedy and how is he reacting to it?
9. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
10. With all the evidence in place, what does Mariko suggests? What might this foreshadow and what is the ultimate outcome?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mariko then suggests again that Joanna visit her uncle and undergo hypnosis. This is the third time Mariko has mentioned this option, foreshadowing that it would become an avenue Joanna would travel.
1. What do you think a psychiatrist can do to help someone with nightmares?
2. Would you go to a psychiatrist for help with a recurring nightmare?
3. Why do you think many people resist the idea of seeing a psychiatrist? Do you think Joanna is one of those people? Or is it perhaps part of the brainwashing that she has been through?
Essay Topic 2
Joanna suddenly begins reciting an odd sentence. Alex recognizes the line from a science fiction novel called The Demolished Man. Inamura has gotten a copy of The Demolished Man and uses it to give Joanna an answering sentence to overcome the posthypnotic suggestion that has blocked her answers to Inamura's questions.
1. Discuss symbolism in literature and why the book used for Joanna's post hypnotic sentence was an example of symbolism.
2. The Demolished Man is a novel, a full length book. Discuss narrative contrivance in view of Inamura being able to find the exact sentence to bring Joanna out of the suggestion in an entire book.
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Inamura and how he uses hypnosis and Herr Doktor and his techniques. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Alex wakes, bound on the floor of a kitchen. Alex manages to break his bindings only to discover that someone has already cut through the rope. When Alex enters the library, he is struck with a sense of familiarity. Alex searches the desk and finds his gun, realizing he had known it would be there. Alex then turns the gun on Chelgrin even though he has no reason to believe Chelgrin means him harm. Alex wants to put the gun down, but he cannot do it. Alex fires the weapon, hitting Chelgrin in the chest.
1. Discuss what the above passages might indicate about Alex's possible situation as to being manipulated. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Do you think Alex is responsible for shooting Thomas Chelgrin? Why or why not? Use examples from the text to support your answer.
3. Hypnosis professionals say that no one can be made to do anything under hypnosis that is against his/her moral code. Discuss what you think Alex's behavior with shooting Chelgrin might mean in view of this.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)