|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alex not want to rush their relationship?
2. What does Alex call Joanna?
3. With what is Alex enchanted?
4. When Alex asks if Joanna will let him tell her more about the Chelgrin family, what is her response?
5. What does Joanna say she is doing in the room?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Joanna that might suggest she is Lisa? What do you think it might mean?
2. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
3. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
4. What does Mariko tell Alex about Joanna and men?
5. Who does Alex call in connection with Joanna and what does he learn? What does Joanna do?
6. What evidence does Joanna show Alex and what does he do with it?
7. What new character is introduced in Chapter 32 and what might the reader suspect about him and why?
8. What does Alex show Joanna and how does she feel about it?
9. What does Alex do at the hospital, who does he call, and what does he tell that person?
10. Who comes to the hospital and sits with Wayne and why do you think this person does that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alex and Joanna read the newspaper clippings about Rotenhausen. They learn that Rotenhausen is a brilliant scientist who developed a brainwashing technique that was considered revolutionary. However, Rotenhausen lost popularity and government support when he suggested the techniques should be used to control entire populations.
1. After researching the term "hackney" discuss why the caricature of a brilliant, but insane scientist could be considered hackney. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
2. Many books, especially in the science fiction genre have been written on controlling the population of the world. Discuss why a government or individual would want to control the population.
3. Discuss, in depth, what human rights would be violated with population control and why it is not a moral idea.
Essay Topic 2
Peterson admits that he and the CIA brainwashed Alex into going to Kyoto to find Joanna so they could follow well-placed clues to bring them to St. Moritz. Peterson says the CIA needed Chelgrin to die before he could be elected President, but could not do it themselves for fear it would tip off the Russians that Chelgrin has been compromised for many years.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if you were Alex?
2. Peterson, a C.I.A. agent freely admits to Alex being brainwashed by the C.I.A. Discuss what you think the possibility is that in real life the C.I.A. would do something like this.
3. Should Alex be considered a hero for taking care of a national security problem for the U.S. government in spite of doing it unknowingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,117 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)