Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Joanna say she is doing in the room?
2. Who is Wayne Kennedy?
3. What does Alex suspect when he enters his motel room?
4. What is Joanna's response?
5. What is happening in Joanna's nightmare?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
2. Emotionally, how might the reader respond to the malice Carrera seems to carry?
3. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
4. How might a reader respond to what is going on with Alex and what is the evidence to suggest that Alex and Joanna are being manipulated?
5. With all the evidence in place, what does Mariko suggests? What might this foreshadow and what is the ultimate outcome?
6. Who is Mariko Inamura to Joanna and what does she suggest to Joanna?
7. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
8. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
9. What does Mariko tell Alex about Joanna and men?
10. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
Essay Topic 1
Joanna suddenly begins reciting an odd sentence. Alex recognizes the line from a science fiction novel called The Demolished Man. Inamura has gotten a copy of The Demolished Man and uses it to give Joanna an answering sentence to overcome the posthypnotic suggestion that has blocked her answers to Inamura's questions.
1. Discuss symbolism in literature and why the book used for Joanna's post hypnotic sentence was an example of symbolism.
2. The Demolished Man is a novel, a full length book. Discuss narrative contrivance in view of Inamura being able to find the exact sentence to bring Joanna out of the suggestion in an entire book.
3. Compare and contrast the characters of Inamura and how he uses hypnosis and Herr Doktor and his techniques. Use examples from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
This section contains 1,155 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)