|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mariko Inamura?
2. Who is Ignacio Carrera?
3. From where does an intruder jump Alex?
4. What is the Moonglow Lounge?
5. Where do Alex and Joanna go after the Nijo Castle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alex do at the hospital, who does he call, and what does he tell that person?
2. Describe what happens in Joanna's session with Inamura.
3. What does Joanna finally decide about her nightmares and why do you think Alex agreed to help?
4. Emotionally, how might the reader respond to the malice Carrera seems to carry?
5. With all the evidence in place, what does Mariko suggests? What might this foreshadow and what is the ultimate outcome?
6. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
7. What does Alex tell Joanna about love and how does she feel about his assertions? What might this conversation establish for the reader?
8. Where was Joanna born and why is she in Japan?
9. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
10. What does Alex show Joanna and how does she feel about it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Peterson admits that he and the CIA brainwashed Alex into going to Kyoto to find Joanna so they could follow well-placed clues to bring them to St. Moritz. Peterson says the CIA needed Chelgrin to die before he could be elected President, but could not do it themselves for fear it would tip off the Russians that Chelgrin has been compromised for many years.
1. How would you feel and what would you do if you were Alex?
2. Peterson, a C.I.A. agent freely admits to Alex being brainwashed by the C.I.A. Discuss what you think the possibility is that in real life the C.I.A. would do something like this.
3. Should Alex be considered a hero for taking care of a national security problem for the U.S. government in spite of doing it unknowingly? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Alex subdues a tail that has been put on him. The man is a professional and will not tell Alex who his bosses are despite the gun Alex holds on him. However, the man does warn Alex that he will die if he continues to pursue Joanna or her past. This promise injects danger into the plot, increasing the tension within the novel's tone and promising more intrigue as the story continues to unfold.
1. What do you think is the difference between mystery and suspense?
2. Do you think the scene at the end of chapter 17 with Alex and the man following him would be a scene more in a mystery novel or suspense novel? Explain your reasoning.
3. In what genre would you place this novel and why?
4. Do you prefer mystery or suspense? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Joanna tries to commit suicide, underscoring for the reader how difficult the nightmares and panic attacks have been for her.
1. Why does Joanna attempt suicide?
2. Do you think Joanna has other options rather than suicide?
3. Do you think suicide is a reasonable option for any situation?
4. Would you believe Joanna when she says she will not attempt suicide again? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)