|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alex discover when he gets to the Moonglow?
2. Where does Inamura next take Joanna in the session?
3. What does Joanna tell Alex about the dream?
4. What have the paramedics done to Joanna?
5. What does Wayne's doctor tell him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Joanna have when she gets back in her apartment and what do you think might be the reason?
2. What does Joanna finally decide about her nightmares and why do you think Alex agreed to help?
3. What do you think Joanna's behavior might indicate?
4. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
5. What does Alex realize about Joanna when he keeps thinking about her?
6. Who comes to the hospital and sits with Wayne and why do you think this person does that?
7. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
8. What does Alex tell Joanna about Thomas Chelgrin and his daugther?
9. What do you think Alex feels about Joanna despite his cynicism?
10. Where does Alex go with Joanna and what becomes clear to them about her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Inamura then takes Joanna to the room where her nightmares take place. She begins to have a panic attack and Inamura says he believes it is the result of a post hypnotic suggestion. After some research on hypnosis choose one of the following questions:
1. What is hypnosis and why might it help Joanna? Use examples from the text and your research to support your answer.
2. Do you think hypnosis and post hypnotic suggestions could cause panic attacks? Why or why not?
3. Based on your research how realistic was the situation with Inamura portrayed? Use examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Alex is delighted with Joanna, with her charm and gentle personality and is unable to get her to say anything that might suggest she is Lisa. The reader might wonder at this point if it is possible Joanna is not Lisa, just a good look alike.
1. What do think makes a person charming? What do you think might be meant by the phrase, "a gentle personality?" Why might Alex consider Joanna to have a gentle personality?Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
2. When you read the section when Alex is first trying to get Joanna to say anything that might suggest Joanna is Lisa, what was your opinion of whether she was or wasn't Lisa? Use examples from the book to illustrate your answer.
3. If by chance Joanna was Lisa what do you think are the dangers to her psychologically and emotionally of Alex trying to prod her into admitting it or seeing it? If she has amnesia or has been brainwashed do you think Alex is being irresponsible by trying to push her? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Joanna is plagued by a recurring nightmare in which a man with a mechanical hand uses a hypodermic needle to do something unclear to her. Joanna always wakes from this dream in the grip of a panic. It seems Joanna is uninterested in learning the truth about the dream, perhaps afraid of finding out something she does not want to know.
1. Why do you think Joanna doesn't want to find out the cause of her nightmares? Use examples from the text and your own thoughts to support your answer.
2. Do you think nightmares always have a cause? Why or why not?
3. Describe a recurring nightmare you or someone you know has had. Compare it to Joanna's. How do you or the person having the nightmare deal with it?
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)