|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Joanna and Alex fly to from England?
(d) Nowhere. They drive where they are going.
2. What happens to Marlowe's apartment when he enters and turns on the light?
(a) It explodes.
(b) Carrera is waiting and beats him up.
(c) The light will not come on.
3. What does Alex do after he and Joanna are told to meet Chelgrin at his hotel?
(a) They follow the local man immediately.
(b) He calls Chelgrin first.
(c) He pays the local man to go to the hotel and pretend to be Alex.
(d) He takes Joanna back to their hotel first.
4. What does the caller tell Chelgrin?
(a) That Lisa is looking for Chelgrin.
(b) That Lisa is dead.
(c) That Chelgrin is to pull out of politics.
(d) Where and when to meet a secret contact.
5. About what does Marlowe think he needs to do concerning his employment?
(a) Finding out who is behind Carrera.
(b) Carrera undermining his authority.
(c) Getting the promotion.
(d) Looking for anothrer job.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a woman do to Joanna after she wakes?
2. Where is Joanna when she wakes after being kidnapped?
3. Where does Alex find his gun?
4. What does Alex think as he enters a library?
5. What makes Alex so uneasy about the inn where they stopped?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
2. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
3. What happens to Alex and Joanna's hotel room and what might this suggest to the reader?
4. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
5. What happens to Joanna and Alex when they arrive in St. Moritz? What does Peterson have to do with it and what might a reader be wondering at this point?
6. How is the theme of romance explored in Chapters 42-44?
7. How might a reader respond to what is going on with Alex and what is the evidence to suggest that Alex and Joanna are being manipulated?
8. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
9. Where is Alex when he wakes up and what does he do immediately? What does he find and what does it make him wonder?
10. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
This section contains 1,093 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)