|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alex do after he and Joanna are told to meet Chelgrin at his hotel?
(a) They follow the local man immediately.
(b) He pays the local man to go to the hotel and pretend to be Alex.
(c) He calls Chelgrin first.
(d) He takes Joanna back to their hotel first.
2. What does Alex hear coming from a closed door he has found?
(a) Four men talking.
(b) Gun shots.
(c) Joanna screaming.
(d) Rock music.
3. How does Joanna feel that day?
(b) Fearful of the nightmare returning.
4. What does Alex learn from a contact at his firm?
(a) That Carrera is on his way to Japan.
(b) That the lawyer that supposedly handled Joanna's inheritance does not exist.
(c) That the lawyer who supposedly handled Joanna's inheritance has been dead for 15 years.
(d) That Senator Chelgrin is a likely candidate for a Supreme Court appointment.
5. Where is Joanna when she wakes after being kidnapped?
(a) In her father's hotel room.
(b) Tied up on a kitchen floor.
(c) Chained in a basement.
(d) Strapped to a hospital bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. When they arrive at the hotel, about what does Alex have a premonition?
2. What happens the night they arrive at their destination?
3. Why does the woman in the room where Joanna wakes up after being kidnapped laugh when she tells Joanna her name?
4. What does Herr Doktor do when he comes in the room?
5. What does Thomas Chelgrin tell Lisa was the name of the program he was in from Russia?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Joanna and Alex when they arrive in St. Moritz? What does Peterson have to do with it and what might a reader be wondering at this point?
2. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
3. How do Alex and Joanna leave London and what happens that surprises Alex? What does this make him suspect?
4. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
5. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
6. What else do they discover while Lisa is under hypnosis?
7. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
8. What happens to Alex and Joanna's hotel room and what might this suggest to the reader?
9. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
10. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
This section contains 1,000 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)