|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Joanna receive?
(a) A phone call from Chelgrin.
(b) A letter slid under the motel room door.
(c) A letter at the front desk from Carrera.
(d) A phone call from Peterson.
2. What does Joanna grab from a nearby tray?
(a) A scalpal.
(b) A wrench.
(c) An IV bottle.
(d) A syringe.
3. How does Alex respond to the Herr Doktor's activities?
(a) He is mystified.
(b) Alex is not listening to this part.
(c) He is outraged.
(d) He is resigned.
4. How does Carrera get Alex and Joanna out of the hotel?
(a) By gun point.
(b) In a laundry cart.
(c) Through the kitchen.
(d) In a dumb waiter.
5. To whom does Alex thinks the place he is belongs?
(d) Thomas Chelgrin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mariko hesitant about?
2. What does Alex do after he breaks Carrera's grip on him?
3. What does Herr Doktor do while Joanna is still under the influence of the drug?
4. What does Joanna suggest to Mariko?
5. What does Chelgrin insist that Lisa undergo?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Joanna and Alex when they arrive in St. Moritz? What does Peterson have to do with it and what might a reader be wondering at this point?
2. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
3. What bad decision does Rotenhausen make and how does Joanna use it to save herself?
4. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
5. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
6. Who approaches Joanna and Alex immediately in London? What might the reader wonder and what does the person say that alleviates concern?
7. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
8. What is happening with Alex that might be similar to what was going on with Joanna? What might the reader wonder because of this?
9. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
10. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)