|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Mariko hesitant about?
(a) Becoming romantically involved with a foreigner.
(b) Finding a singer that is as good as Joanna.
(c) Singing for the club and still being able to do her managment duties.
(d) About Joanna pursuing the truth of her background.
2. What happened to the real Thomas Chelgrin?
(a) He was sent to Russia.
(b) There never was a Thomas Chelgrin.
(c) He was killed in the prisoner camp.
(d) He died in the war.
3. What does Herr Doktor do when he comes in the room?
(a) Gives Joanna another injection.
(b) Just stands and looks at Joanna.
(c) Slaps Joanna's face to see if she is still awake.
(d) Hypnotizes Joanna.
4. What does Alex do after he and Joanna are told to meet Chelgrin at his hotel?
(a) They follow the local man immediately.
(b) He calls Chelgrin first.
(c) He takes Joanna back to their hotel first.
(d) He pays the local man to go to the hotel and pretend to be Alex.
5. Who kills Ursula?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Joanna and Alex go?
2. Why does the woman in the room where Joanna wakes up after being kidnapped laugh when she tells Joanna her name?
3. What is odd about Herr Doktor?
4. What do Alex and Joanna buy at a department store?
5. What does Joanna do when Rotenhausen unstraps her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
2. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
3. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
4. Who does Joanna find when she goes to look for Alex? What does she learn from him? What theme might be suggested by the encounter?
5. What else do they discover while Lisa is under hypnosis?
6. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
7. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
8. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
9. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
10. What does Joanna reveal under hypnosis about Herr Doktor? How does Alex feel hearing it and what does his reaction suggest to you?
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)