|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Joanna and Alex go?
(a) To the police.
(b) To a local museum to meet Peterson.
(c) To a local museum to meet Chelgrin.
(d) To a local museum to meet Carrera.
2. In what condition is Alex when he awakes after being kidnapped?
(a) Strapped to a metal table.
(b) Tied up on a kitchen floor.
(c) Chained in a basement.
(d) Beaten with a couple of broken ribs.
3. What does Alex hear coming from a closed door he has found?
(a) Four men talking.
(b) Gun shots.
(c) Joanna screaming.
(d) Rock music.
4. Who is Rotenhausen?
(a) A Russian KGB agent in the lobby.
(b) Abrilliant scientist who developed a brainwashing technique that was considered revolutionary.
(c) Chelgrin's head bodyguard.
(d) A German soldier who gives Alex a letter.
5. What does Alex do with it after he finds his gun?
(a) Pulls out the ammunition cartridge.
(b) Puts it in his back pocket.
(d) Fires a shot.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Joanna feel that day?
2. What is odd about Herr Doktor?
3. What happened to the real Thomas Chelgrin?
4. What does Joanna receive?
5. Why is Marlowe concerned about his employment?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
2. What is happening with Alex that might be similar to what was going on with Joanna? What might the reader wonder because of this?
3. How do Alex and Joanna leave London and what happens that surprises Alex? What does this make him suspect?
4. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
5. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
6. What happens to Alex and Joanna's hotel room and what might this suggest to the reader?
7. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
8. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
9. How does Alex feel about the inn where they stop and what does it make him wonder? What type of theme might his situation bring up?
10. Who does Joanna find when she goes to look for Alex? What does she learn from him? What theme might be suggested by the encounter?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)