|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does some of what Chelgrin has to tell Alex have to do with?
(a) The situation in the Middle East.
(b) The political situation in the United States.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Germans.
2. What is odd about Herr Doktor?
(a) He has a mechanical hand.
(b) He has two different colored eyes.
(c) He has 6 fingers on one hand.
(d) He has only one swatch of hair and it's on the back of his head.
3. Where does Alex find his gun?
(a) On the window sill.
(b) Under an easy chair.
(c) Behind a book on the floor.
(d) In the desk.
4. How does Alex respond to the Herr Doktor's activities?
(a) He is outraged.
(b) He is mystified.
(c) Alex is not listening to this part.
(d) He is resigned.
5. Where does Carrera find Alex after Alex escapes from him?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) Under the truck.
(c) In the storm room.
(d) Hiding in the woods.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what condition does Rotenhausen expect Joanna to be?
2. What does Alex hear coming from a closed door he has found?
3. What does Carrera do with Alex and Joanna's luggage?
4. Why is Marlowe taking so much care driving home in London?
5. Why did Chelgrin allow Lisa to be brainwashed?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
2. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
3. Who does Joanna find when she goes to look for Alex? What does she learn from him? What theme might be suggested by the encounter?
4. Where is Alex when he wakes up and what does he do immediately? What does he find and what does it make him wonder?
5. What does Joanna reveal under hypnosis about Herr Doktor? How does Alex feel hearing it and what does his reaction suggest to you?
6. What else do they discover while Lisa is under hypnosis?
7. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
8. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
9. What happens to Alex and Joanna's hotel room and what might this suggest to the reader?
10. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)