|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What awakens Joanna the next morning after her second session with Inamura?
(d) A panic attack.
2. What does Herr Doktor do when he comes in the room?
(a) Just stands and looks at Joanna.
(b) Slaps Joanna's face to see if she is still awake.
(c) Gives Joanna another injection.
(d) Hypnotizes Joanna.
3. What does Alex think as he enters a library?
(a) It shouldn't be there.
(b) It seems very familiar.
(c) There are no books on the shelves.
(d) It looks ransacked.
4. What does the woman do who comes into Joanna's room in the hypnotic remembering?
(a) The woman gives Joanna a shot.
(b) The woman tells Joanna to be a good girl.
(c) The woman tries to help Joanna escape.
(d) The woman binds Joanna's hands and feet.
5. Where does Alex go to get a new license plate for the rental car?
(a) To the Motor Vehicle Department.
(b) To a shopping center.
(c) He gets one from an old contact.
(d) He doesn't need a new license plate.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chelgrin insist that Lisa undergo?
2. Why did Chelgrin allow Lisa to be brainwashed?
3. What was Alex's nightmare about the night they spent in the inn?
4. What do they find in Chelgrin's room?
5. Who kills Ursula?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
2. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
3. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
4. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
5. What else do they discover while Lisa is under hypnosis?
6. What bad decision does Rotenhausen make and how does Joanna use it to save herself?
7. How might a reader respond to what is going on with Alex and what is the evidence to suggest that Alex and Joanna are being manipulated?
8. How is the theme of romance explored in Chapters 42-44?
9. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
10. What happens to Joanna and Alex when they arrive in St. Moritz? What does Peterson have to do with it and what might a reader be wondering at this point?
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)