|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
(a) He lets her work through it herself.
(b) He gives her an answering sentence to her sentence.
(c) He is unable to overcome the original suggestion.
(d) He hypnotizes her again and gives her a different suggestion.
2. What was Alex's nightmare about the night they spent in the inn?
(a) Joanna lying on a steel operating table.
(b) Wayne being killed in the hospital.
(c) Doctors and Rio.
(d) Joanna running from him.
3. Why do Alex and Joanna decide to go to San Moritz?
(a) To kill Rotenhausen.
(b) To break into Rotenhausen's laboratory, and find any files on Joanna they can to prove what he did to her.
(c) To confront Rotenhausen.
(d) To subject Rotenhausen to the same treatment that he did to Joanna.
4. What does Alex do with it after he finds his gun?
(a) Pulls out the ammunition cartridge.
(b) Fires a shot.
(d) Puts it in his back pocket.
5. What does Joanna receive?
(a) A phone call from Chelgrin.
(b) A letter slid under the motel room door.
(c) A phone call from Peterson.
(d) A letter at the front desk from Carrera.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Alex so uneasy about the inn where they stopped?
2. About what does Marlowe think he needs to do concerning his employment?
3. What does some of what Chelgrin has to tell Alex have to do with?
4. What happens when Inamura tries to get Joanna to remember her life as Lisa Chelgrin?
5. What does Alex do after he and Joanna are told to meet Chelgrin at his hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Alex and Joanna leave London and what happens that surprises Alex? What does this make him suspect?
2. How is the theme of romance explored in Chapters 42-44?
3. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
4. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
5. What does Inamura use to free Joanna of the compulsion?
6. In terms of narration what do you think Chapters 60-70 do?
7. How does Alex feel about the inn where they stop and what does it make him wonder? What type of theme might his situation bring up?
8. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
9. Where does Alex go after he wakes up and what happens there?
10. By Chapter 42, how do you think the reader feels about Thomas Chelgrin. How does the character actually turn out?
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)