|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Carrera doing at the opening to Chapter 44?
(a) Stalking Alex and Joanna.
(b) Swimming in the ocean.
(c) Talking to Chelgrin on the phone.
(d) Working out in his gym.
2. Who is Rotenhausen?
(a) A German soldier who gives Alex a letter.
(b) A Russian KGB agent in the lobby.
(c) Abrilliant scientist who developed a brainwashing technique that was considered revolutionary.
(d) Chelgrin's head bodyguard.
3. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
(a) He hypnotizes her again and gives her a different suggestion.
(b) He is unable to overcome the original suggestion.
(c) He gives her an answering sentence to her sentence.
(d) He lets her work through it herself.
4. What does Alex think about Chelgrin?
(a) Alex thinks Chelgrin's been brainwashed also.
(b) Alex does not trust Chelgrin.
(c) Alex thinks Chelgrin wants to kill Joanna.
(d) Alex thinks Chelgrin is a CIA plant.
5. What does Alex do in response to the nightmare he had?
(a) Had a couple of bourbons.
(b) Sat up all night with his gun to his head.
(c) Went for a long walk.
(d) Sat up all night with his gun in his lap.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rotenhausen die?
2. What does Joanna grab from a nearby tray?
3. What does Alex throw at Carrera?
4. Who is Anson Peterson?
5. What does Carrera do with Alex and Joanna's luggage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Peterson and how was he involved in the entire situation?
2. What is happening with Alex that might be similar to what was going on with Joanna? What might the reader wonder because of this?
3. What happens to Alex and Joanna's hotel room and what might this suggest to the reader?
4. Why did Peterson do what he did and what theme does it touch upon again?
5. Who does Joanna find when she goes to look for Alex? What does she learn from him? What theme might be suggested by the encounter?
6. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
7. What does Joanna reveal under hypnosis about Herr Doktor? How does Alex feel hearing it and what does his reaction suggest to you?
8. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
9. What do Alex and Joanna find that show Chelgrin in a different light and what does he have that will help them find Herr Doktor?
10. How does Alex feel about the inn where they stop and what does it make him wonder? What type of theme might his situation bring up?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)