|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what field does Thomas turn his attention after becoming wealthy?
(c) Missionary work.
2. To what does Alex compare Joanna's singing?
(a) A songbird.
(b) A nightingale.
(c) Some of the greatest jazz singers of the past.
(d) He does not mention her singing.
3. What is the Demolished Man?
(a) A poem by T. S. Eliot.
(b) A short story by Willa Cather.
(c) A code name for a top secret CIA operation.
(d) A science fiction novel.
4. What does Alex say about Senator Chelgrin?
(a) That Chelgrin may not believe it after these many years.
(b) That Chelgrin is deceased.
(c) That Chelgrin will be delighted.
(d) That Alex never trusted Chelgrin, who may be behind Lisa's kidnapping.
5. What is the Gion?
(a) A special type of Saki.
(b) Kyoto's entertainment district.
(c) A wine grown locally.
(d) Tokyo's entertainment district.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Kennedy refusing medical assistance?
2. Why can't Alex sleep?
3. What does Alex tell Joanna about on the way back to the Moonglow?
4. Who is Ignacio Carrera?
5. What does Alex ask the man he disables?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joanna wake from her recurring nightmare? How often does she have it and why do you think she will not do anything about it?
2. What does Alex show Joanna and how does she feel about it?
3. What happens to Joanna that might suggest she is Lisa? What do you think it might mean?
4. Where was Joanna born and why is she in Japan?
5. Where does Alex go with Joanna and what becomes clear to them about her?
6. What new character is introduced in Chapter 32 and what might the reader suspect about him and why?
7. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
8. What does Joanna have when she gets back in her apartment and what do you think might be the reason?
9. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
10. What does Joanna finally decide about her nightmares and why do you think Alex agreed to help?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)