|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Joanna's response?
(a) She gets irate.
(b) She does not understand why Alex calls her by the wrong name.
(c) She pretends to not hear Alex.
(d) She agrees that she is in an emotional state at the moment.
2. What happens when Joanna calls the number of the insurance company that issued the life insurance check?
(a) The company never existed.
(b) The records are destroyed after seven years.
(c) The number is out of service.
(d) The company verifies Joanna's claim.
3. How many other cases besides that of the missing Lisa Chelgrin has Alex been unable to solve?
4. After the attack subsides, how does Joanna feel?
(b) Free for the first time in years.
(c) Extremely depressed.
(d) Angry at Alex.
5. What is the phone call to Alex about the next morning?
(a) His office saying he has to get back to the States immediately.
(b) The FBI telling him to back off from investigating Joanna.
(c) A statement that Alex is about to receive a warning to stay away from Joanna.
(d) A plea to leave Joanna alone or they will have to kill her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Demolished Man?
2. Why does Joanna decide to take too many sleeping pills?
3. What does Joanna say when Inamura asks what is outside the window?
4. What does Alex call Joanna?
5. To what field does Thomas turn his attention after becoming wealthy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Joanna wake from her recurring nightmare? How often does she have it and why do you think she will not do anything about it?
2. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
3. Where does Alex go with Joanna and what becomes clear to them about her?
4. What does Alex tell Joanna about Thomas Chelgrin and his daugther?
5. What new character is introduced in Chapter 32 and what might the reader suspect about him and why?
6. What does Alex tell Joanna about love and how does she feel about his assertions? What might this conversation establish for the reader?
7. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
8. What does Carrera learn about Joanna from a phone call and how does he respond? What might the reader deduce from this response?
9. How is the tension increased by the end of Chapter 17?
10. What does Joanna finally decide about her nightmares and why do you think Alex agreed to help?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)