|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reason does Joanna offer Alex for her panic attack?
(a) She says she remembers her father has only one arm.
(b) She tells him about the dream.
(c) She refuses to even discuss it.
(d) She says she does not know what set it off.
2. Where does the phone number on the lawyer's letter ring?
(a) It is out of service.
(b) To a private sanitorium.
(c) To a pay phone.
(d) To an antique store.
3. Why does Mariko think Joanna should see a psychiatrist?
(a) To receive hypnosis to learn about a recurring dream.
(b) To talk about her parents' death.
(c) To talk about being an American expatriot.
(d) To talk about her tendency to stay uninvolved in romantic relationships.
4. What frustrates Joanna so much?
(a) That her father thinks she is dead.
(b) That her father may be the instigator of this.
(c) Not knowing why someone would do this to her.
(d) That Alex pushes her to open up her past.
5. How does Inaumra quell the panic attack?
(a) Lightly slapping her on the face.
(b) By assuring Joanna she is safe and will not be harmed if she can describe what she sees.
(c) Giving her an injection of a mild tranquilizer.
(d) Flashing a light in her eyes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Alex question the existence of the lawyer?
2. What does Alex call Joanna?
3. Who is the star attraction in the lounge of Joanna's nightclub?
4. What does Alex tell Mariko when she returns from the hospital?
5. Under what pseudonym is The Key to Midnight first written?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Carrera ordered to do when Joanna leaves Japan? How does he feel about the orders? What does his thoughts evoke in the reader?
2. Where is Peterson in Chapters 53-59, what does he witness, and what might the reader wonder about him because of his behavior?
3. Why would Alex know about Lisa Chelgrin?
4. What do Alex and Joanna do after eating lunch?
5. What does the hypnosis session do in the novel as far as narrative technique is concerned?
6. Who comes to the hospital and sits with Wayne and why do you think this person does that?
7. What does Alex realize about Joanna when he keeps thinking about her?
8. What does Joanna do in response to her depression and her decision to push Alex away?
9. What happens to Joanna and Alex when they arrive in St. Moritz? What does Peterson have to do with it and what might a reader be wondering at this point?
10. What does Chelgrin know about his daughter and what does he seem to feel about her?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)