|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Kennedy go after speaking with Alex?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To his hotel room.
(c) To the nightclub owned by Joanna.
(d) Back to the airport.
2. What is an indication that the man who Alex attacks is a professional?
(a) He is wearing gloves and dark glasses.
(b) He is able to grab the purse without hurting the woman.
(c) He refuses to say who he is working for despite Alex holding a gun on him.
(d) He disguises his accent.
3. Why does Alex suggest he move in to a spare room at the night club?
(a) To be closer to Joanna.
(b) To throw his pursuers off his trail.
(c) To save money.
(d) To protect Joanna.
4. What fascinates Joanna?
(a) How she looks so much like Lisa Chelgrin.
(b) That Alex ends up where Joanna is living.
(c) That Alex could see the resemblance between her and Lisa since Joanna cannot see it.
(d) That someone is going to so much trouble to keep Joanna's identity secure.
5. Where is Joanna born?
(c) The United States.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the man warn Alex?
2. What happens when Alex and Joanna start kissing?
3. Under what pseudonym is The Key to Midnight first written?
4. What does the bellhop come to tell Alex?
5. Who calls Carrera?
Short Essay Questions
1. With all the evidence in place, what does Mariko suggests? What might this foreshadow and what is the ultimate outcome?
2. When does Alex next see Joanna and what does he try to do at first?
3. What evidence does Joanna show Alex and what does he do with it?
4. Why does Joanna run from Nijo Castle and what does she do after she gets outside?
5. What type of foreshadow might be implied by Mariko's assessment of Joanna and Alex?
6. What does Joanna do in response to her depression and her decision to push Alex away?
7. What does Mariko encourage Alex to do and why?
8. What does Alex do at the hospital, who does he call, and what does he tell that person?
9. Why is Alex in Japan and why did he stay?
10. What does Alex tell Joanna about love and how does she feel about his assertions? What might this conversation establish for the reader?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)