|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Anson Peterson?
(a) Chelgrin's contact.
(b) Chelgrin's aide.
(c) A CIA plant.
(d) Carrera's boss.
2. Why is Marlowe concerned about his employment?
(a) Carrera's threats.
(b) He didn't get a promotion he wanted.
(c) He thinks it might be illegal.
(d) He is not making enough money.
3. What does Alex learn from a contact at his firm?
(a) That Senator Chelgrin is a likely candidate for a Supreme Court appointment.
(b) That the lawyer that supposedly handled Joanna's inheritance does not exist.
(c) That the lawyer who supposedly handled Joanna's inheritance has been dead for 15 years.
(d) That Carrera is on his way to Japan.
4. What does Alex think as he enters a library?
(a) There are no books on the shelves.
(b) It seems very familiar.
(c) It looks ransacked.
(d) It shouldn't be there.
5. What does Thomas Chelgrin tell Lisa was the name of the program he was in from Russia?
6. About what does Marlowe think he needs to do concerning his employment?
(a) Carrera undermining his authority.
(b) Looking for anothrer job.
(c) Getting the promotion.
(d) Finding out who is behind Carrera.
7. What does Joanna tell Inamura?
(a) That she does not want to go any further with remembering.
(b) That the window is a picture rather than a window as she had thought originally.
(c) That the window is blackened out.
(d) What she sees outside the window in her dream and what is in the room.
8. What does Peterson tell Alex and Joanna will happen now that the parties involved are all dead?
(a) They will be safe.
(b) They will have to change their identities.
(c) The CIA will keep close tabs on them.
(d) The Russians will come for them.
9. Where do Joanna and Alex fly to from England?
(a) Nowhere. They drive where they are going.
10. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
(a) He is unable to overcome the original suggestion.
(b) He hypnotizes her again and gives her a different suggestion.
(c) He lets her work through it herself.
(d) He gives her an answering sentence to her sentence.
11. Why did Chelgrin allow Lisa to be brainwashed?
(a) To help his country.
(b) He didn't know about it.
(c) To save her life.
(d) He was interested in the results.
12. What has Peterson been doing?
(a) Making a plan to take out Alex.
(b) Bringing Chelgrin written reports on Lisa every month for twelve years.
(c) Compiling a list of the states Chelgrin is likely to win in a bid for the presidency.
(d) Gathering information about the Russian spy ring.
13. What does Peterson tell Carrera via the phone?
(a) That the KGB has decided not to let Chelgrin stay in politics.
(b) That Joanna Rand is on her way to London.
(c) That the KGB wishes Carrera to return to Russia.
(d) That Joanna Rand must be kept from leaving Japan.
14. Where do Joanna and Alex take a train to?
15. What happens the night they arrive at their destination?
(a) They are accosted by Carrera.
(b) They make love for the first time.
(c) They miss their flight to England.
(d) They are arrested on a trumped-up charge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Carrera doing at the opening to Chapter 44?
2. What awakens Joanna the next morning after her second session with Inamura?
3. How is Alex finally able to kill Carrera?
4. What happens to Marlowe's apartment when he enters and turns on the light?
5. Why is Marlowe taking so much care driving home in London?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)