|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Rotenhausen?
(a) Chelgrin's head bodyguard.
(b) Abrilliant scientist who developed a brainwashing technique that was considered revolutionary.
(c) A Russian KGB agent in the lobby.
(d) A German soldier who gives Alex a letter.
2. What does the caller tell Chelgrin?
(a) That Lisa is dead.
(b) Where and when to meet a secret contact.
(c) That Lisa is looking for Chelgrin.
(d) That Chelgrin is to pull out of politics.
3. What happened to the real Thomas Chelgrin?
(a) There never was a Thomas Chelgrin.
(b) He died in the war.
(c) He was killed in the prisoner camp.
(d) He was sent to Russia.
4. What happens to Marlowe's apartment when he enters and turns on the light?
(a) It explodes.
(b) Carrera is waiting and beats him up.
(d) The light will not come on.
5. What does Joanna do when Rotenhausen unstraps her?
(a) Starts screaming.
(b) Begins saying her line from The Demolished Man.
(c) Falls to the floor.
(d) Unplug his mechanical hand and jumps off the bed.
6. What wakens Joanna and Alex the first morning in London?
(a) Jackhammers across the street from their hotel.
(b) The phone ringing.
(c) A pounding on the door.
(d) The fire alarm.
7. What does Alex do with it after he finds his gun?
(a) Pulls out the ammunition cartridge.
(b) Fires a shot.
(c) Puts it in his back pocket.
8. What does Chelgrin insist that Lisa undergo?
(a) Cosmetic surgery and the brainwashing technique.
(b) A test to determine where her loyalties lay.
(c) The brainwashing technique again.
(d) A forced relocation to Russia.
9. What does some of what Chelgrin has to tell Alex have to do with?
(a) The Germans.
(b) The situation in the Middle East.
(c) The political situation in the United States.
(d) The Russians.
10. What is Carrera doing at the opening to Chapter 44?
(a) Swimming in the ocean.
(b) Talking to Chelgrin on the phone.
(c) Working out in his gym.
(d) Stalking Alex and Joanna.
11. What happens the night they arrive at their destination?
(a) They are arrested on a trumped-up charge.
(b) They miss their flight to England.
(c) They are accosted by Carrera.
(d) They make love for the first time.
12. What do Joanna and Alex have to do after they rent a car to leave England?
(a) Find a weapon.
(b) Call Chelgrin.
(c) Find a map.
(d) Shake a tail.
13. What does Inamura do to get Joanna to overcome the post-hypnotic suggestion?
(a) He lets her work through it herself.
(b) He gives her an answering sentence to her sentence.
(c) He is unable to overcome the original suggestion.
(d) He hypnotizes her again and gives her a different suggestion.
14. What awakens Joanna the next morning after her second session with Inamura?
(a) A panic attack.
15. Why do Alex and Joanna decide to go to San Moritz?
(a) To subject Rotenhausen to the same treatment that he did to Joanna.
(b) To kill Rotenhausen.
(c) To confront Rotenhausen.
(d) To break into Rotenhausen's laboratory, and find any files on Joanna they can to prove what he did to her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Carrera do with Alex and Joanna's luggage?
2. What was Alex's nightmare about the night they spent in the inn?
3. How does Carrera get Alex and Joanna out of the hotel?
4. Why does the woman in the room where Joanna wakes up after being kidnapped laugh when she tells Joanna her name?
5. Where do Joanna and Alex fly to from England?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)