|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is in the briefcase?
(a) The Chelgrin file.
(b) Top secret papers from the FBI.
2. What does the man say in response?
(a) Because he knows the elderly woman has more money than she needs.
(b) Because his wife looked at another man in a familiar way.
(d) The teens stole from him first.
3. To what does Alex compare Joanna's singing?
(a) A nightingale.
(b) A songbird.
(c) He does not mention her singing.
(d) Some of the greatest jazz singers of the past.
4. When Alex asks if Joanna will let him tell her more about the Chelgrin family, what is her response?
(a) She is adament in saying no.
(b) She is lukewarm at the idea.
(c) She is willing but does not want her life to change.
(d) She is enthusiastic.
5. Why does Senator Chelgrin hire Alex?
(a) Because they are good friends.
(b) Because Alex was in Jamaica at the time.
(c) He does not hire him. Alex volunteers his assistance.
(d) Because the Jamaican police were useless in finding Lisa.
6. What is the Demolished Man?
(a) A science fiction novel.
(b) A poem by T. S. Eliot.
(c) A code name for a top secret CIA operation.
(d) A short story by Willa Cather.
7. What is Carrera's response to his caller's concerns?
(a) He says Joanna can go to England but will find nothing.
(b) He says Joanna will not leave Japan.
(c) He says Joanna will not leave China.
(d) He says Joanna is not actually Lisa Chelgrin.
8. What do Alex and Joanna do before going through the Chelgrin file?
(a) Joanna does some relaxation exercises.
(b) Joanna gets hypnotized.
(c) Joanna takes a tranquilizer.
(d) Have dinner.
9. When a man seems to be getting too close to Joanna, what happens?
(a) She gets frightened of commitment.
(b) She becomes a different person.
(c) She refuses to see the man.
(d) She clings to him and then becomes distraught when the relationship ends.
10. What concerns the man calling Carrera?
(a) That the hypnotherapy will cause too much emotional trauma.
(b) That Carrera's fees are too high.
(c) That Wayne is not protected enough in the hospital.
(d) That Joanna will go to England and make some discoveries.
11. What does Alex suspect when he enters his motel room?
(a) That Mariko will have some answers for Alex.
(b) That the room service is not hotel staff.
(c) That someone has been inside his room.
(d) That Joanna will not see him again.
12. What does Alex say about Senator Chelgrin?
(a) That Alex never trusted Chelgrin, who may be behind Lisa's kidnapping.
(b) That Chelgrin may not believe it after these many years.
(c) That Chelgrin is deceased.
(d) That Chelgrin will be delighted.
13. Where do Alex and Joanna go after the Nijo Castle?
(a) To the hospital.
(b) To Alex's motel room.
(c) To the movies.
(d) To the Moonglow.
14. Who joins Alex to sit with Wayne?
(a) No one.
(b) A nurse.
15. Who has a gun?
(a) The thief who steals the woman's purse.
(b) A man following Alex.
(c) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Alex about Joanna?
2. What happens as they look at the photos?
3. Why is Kennedy refusing medical assistance?
4. What does Inamura think is the reason for the panic attack?
5. Where does the phone number on the lawyer's letter ring?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)