|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Ronny let his hostages go?
2. What liquid does Ronny's estranged mix into her food in chapter 11?
3. Where does Bill go before work at the beginning of chapter 10?
4. How many days does Bill stay in his secret place to the north?
5. Does Bill think Ronny Lawton killed his father by the end of chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Linda Carter make Ronny Lawton seem in her television special?
2. What things do Bill, Ronny, and the hostages do during the stand off?
3. What offer does Ronny Lawton make to Bill over and over about his estranged wife? What is Bill's response?
4. How did Bill feel after finding Sam dead in his home? Why?
5. How has Bill and Pete's relationship changed by chapter 13?
6. Describe the puzzle that is left for Bill on his doorstep.
7. What is the relationship like between Bill, Sam, and Ed by chapter 12? How do they treat each other?
8. Describe the secret place Bill takes Ronny Lawton's estranged and her son to after the hostage situation ends.
9. How does Bill and Ronny Lawton's relationship change from the beginning of the story up to the hostage situation?
10. Describe how Bill reacts after finding Ronny Lawton's father's head in the bunker.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bill, Ed, and Sam agree to go out to the hurricane bunker together they do it for their own motives. The excitement they feel is only temporary. Their feelings change once they realize the seriousness of the situation.
Write an essay that explains why the men wanted to go to the bunker without notifying the authorities. Were their reasons selfish? How did going into the bunker effect the investigation? How did going into the bunker effect the characters? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The gardening shears play an important role in the psychological part of the story. The idea of their presence haunts Bill continuously after he buries them in his backyard.
Write an essay that explores the ideas of paranoia and psychological insecurity. What is Bill constantly afraid of when it comes to the shears? Who knows about them and what could happen if they are found? Do the shears have any impact on the conclusion of the story? Reference the novel to support your point.
Essay Topic 3
Sam meets an end that is both tragic and pitiful. He never gets to live the retired life he dreamed of. His death occurs suddenly and without provocation.
Write an essay explaining why Sam chose to die as he did. What events in the book foreshadow his death? What actions were taken by Sam that might have seemed suspicious? Did Bill and Ed see Sam as someone who was suicidal? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)