|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What body part do they find in the hurricane bunker?
2. Who keeps calling on the phone during the hostage situation?
3. For how many hours does Bill sleep at the beginning of chapter 10?
4. Who does Bill take with him when he goes north?
5. Why is Ronny Lawton not in town at the beginning of chapter 13?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Bill treated when he is taken in for questioning about Ronny Lawton's disappearance?
2. How does Bill feel about his unfolding destiny by the end of the story?
3. Describe the secret place Bill takes Ronny Lawton's estranged and her son to after the hostage situation ends.
4. Describe the puzzle that is left for Bill on his doorstep.
5. Describe what Ronny's estranged wife's boyfriend is like.
6. How does Bill and Ronny Lawton's relationship change from the beginning of the story up to the hostage situation?
7. Describe Walter and his profession.
8. Describe how Ronny Lawton's estranged wife's boyfriend met his end.
9. How has Bill and Pete's relationship changed by chapter 13?
10. Describe how Bill reacts after finding Ronny Lawton's father's head in the bunker.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Failing to get into law school had a great impact on Bill's life after college. He feels that he has failed in some aspect of his life because of this.
Write an essay that explains his motives behind studying for the LSAT test again. How does he use studying as an excuse to escape the real life responsibilities he has? By the end of the story does studying for the LSAT test have any result that impacts his life? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Darlene is a character that we learn about mostly through other characters. She is portrayed as both confidant and possible villain.
Write an essay exploring what Darlene's true personality is. Is she someone to be trusted? Why or why not? What actions does she take that make her seem one way or another? How does her character impact events throughout the book? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Bill feels a great sense of freedom after he, Teri, and Lucas leave the cottage in the woods. For the first time in a long time there is some semblance of peace in his mind.
Write an essay exploring how Bill feels about his new found sense of release. What is his lookout on the future? Is he happy, scared, excited, or something else? What is he going to do now that he is free from the shadow of his mansion and past? Who is he taking with him? Reference the novel to support your opinions.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)