|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Walter?
2. Does Bill think Ronny Lawton killed his father by the end of chapter 13?
3. What type of vegetable grows in the fields where the fire burns?
4. For how many hours does Bill sleep at the beginning of chapter 10?
5. Where does all of Sam's money go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the secret place Bill takes Ronny Lawton's estranged and her son to after the hostage situation ends.
2. List some of the items Bill gets before heading over to Ronny Lawton's estranged wife's place in chapter 11.
3. How does Bill and Ronny Lawton's relationship change from the beginning of the story up to the hostage situation?
4. How do Ed and Sam react when Bill shows them the letter he has deciphered?
5. How is Bill treated when he is taken in for questioning about Ronny Lawton's disappearance?
6. Explain what Walter thinks of the Ronny Lawton situation.
7. Describe what Ronny's estranged wife's boyfriend is like.
8. How does Lucas get treated when he misbehaves in chapter 10? What does he do wrong?
9. How did Bill feel after finding Sam dead in his home? Why?
10. How has Bill and Pete's relationship changed by chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bill feels a great sense of freedom after he, Teri, and Lucas leave the cottage in the woods. For the first time in a long time there is some semblance of peace in his mind.
Write an essay exploring how Bill feels about his new found sense of release. What is his lookout on the future? Is he happy, scared, excited, or something else? What is he going to do now that he is free from the shadow of his mansion and past? Who is he taking with him? Reference the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
When Bill confronts Ronny Lawton at Denny's after finding his father's head Ronny acts submissive. When he chooses to flee Bill does not stop him.
Write an essay explaining the reasons Bill lets Ronny go without contest. Why is Ronny running in the first place? What does Bill think of Ronny by this point? What made him think this way? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Darlene is a character that we learn about mostly through other characters. She is portrayed as both confidant and possible villain.
Write an essay exploring what Darlene's true personality is. Is she someone to be trusted? Why or why not? What actions does she take that make her seem one way or another? How does her character impact events throughout the book? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)