|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Bill go first after the hostage situation?
2. About how tall is Ronny's estranged wife's boyfriend?
3. Where does Bill go before work at the beginning of chapter 10?
4. What does the bumper sticker on Ronny's estranged wife's boyfriend's truck read?
5. Who is killed in chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Bill feel when he goes to Darlene's shop and is confronted by the female driven world that she and her customers live in?
2. List some of the items Bill gets before heading over to Ronny Lawton's estranged wife's place in chapter 11.
3. How is Bill treated when he is taken in for questioning about Ronny Lawton's disappearance?
4. What is the relationship like between Bill, Sam, and Ed by chapter 12? How do they treat each other?
5. How did Bill feel after finding Sam dead in his home? Why?
6. How has Bill and Pete's relationship changed by chapter 13?
7. Describe the puzzle that is left for Bill on his doorstep.
8. Describe the secret place Bill takes Ronny Lawton's estranged and her son to after the hostage situation ends.
9. Describe Walter and his profession.
10. Describe how Bill reacts after finding Ronny Lawton's father's head in the bunker.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bill has difficult psychological challenges to endure, especially in connection with women.
Write an essay that explains which women he focuses on, how he interacts with them, what they want from him, and why. Will any of these relationships last? Why or why not? Be sure the explain whether unrequited love and obsession factor into Bill's personality and what that tells the reader about Bill's character. Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
After escaping from Ronny Lawton's house Bill takes Teri and Lucas to his cottage. Bill loves how isolated the cottage is from the outside world. He reflects upon the memories he and his father had there.
Write an essay exploring Bill's feelings about the cabin and how they tie in to the memories of his father. What activities did he and his father do while staying at the cabin? What sort of food did they eat? How did Bill feel when his father left him alone days at a time while they were there? Reference the novel to support your points.
Essay Topic 3
Failing to get into law school had a great impact on Bill's life after college. He feels that he has failed in some aspect of his life because of this.
Write an essay that explains his motives behind studying for the LSAT test again. How does he use studying as an excuse to escape the real life responsibilities he has? By the end of the story does studying for the LSAT test have any result that impacts his life? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)