|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does all of Sam's money go?
2. What does the bumper sticker on Ronny's estranged wife's boyfriend's truck read?
3. What does Ronny wear on his head for most of chapter 17?
4. What type of build does Ronny's estranged wife's boyfriend have?
5. What body part do they find in the hurricane bunker?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ed and Sam react when Bill shows them the letter he has deciphered?
2. Describe Walter and his profession.
3. How did Bill feel after finding Sam dead in his home? Why?
4. What things do Bill, Ronny, and the hostages do during the stand off?
5. How does Bill and Ronny Lawton's relationship change from the beginning of the story up to the hostage situation?
6. List the items Bill is instructed to bring to Ronny during the beginning of the hostage situation in chapter 15.
7. Describe how Bill reacts after finding Ronny Lawton's father's head in the bunker.
8. How does Bill react to the puzzle he finds once he has solved it? Explain.
9. How is Bill treated when he is taken in for questioning about Ronny Lawton's disappearance?
10. How does Lucas get treated when he misbehaves in chapter 10? What does he do wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bill, Ed, and Sam agree to go out to the hurricane bunker together they do it for their own motives. The excitement they feel is only temporary. Their feelings change once they realize the seriousness of the situation.
Write an essay that explains why the men wanted to go to the bunker without notifying the authorities. Were their reasons selfish? How did going into the bunker effect the investigation? How did going into the bunker effect the characters? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Sam meets an end that is both tragic and pitiful. He never gets to live the retired life he dreamed of. His death occurs suddenly and without provocation.
Write an essay explaining why Sam chose to die as he did. What events in the book foreshadow his death? What actions were taken by Sam that might have seemed suspicious? Did Bill and Ed see Sam as someone who was suicidal? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
After escaping from Ronny Lawton's house Bill takes Teri and Lucas to his cottage. Bill loves how isolated the cottage is from the outside world. He reflects upon the memories he and his father had there.
Write an essay exploring Bill's feelings about the cabin and how they tie in to the memories of his father. What activities did he and his father do while staying at the cabin? What sort of food did they eat? How did Bill feel when his father left him alone days at a time while they were there? Reference the novel to support your points.
This section contains 888 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)