|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ronny wear on his head for most of chapter 17?
2. Who calls and confesses to Bill at the beginning of chapter 15?
3. Where is the fire that Ed takes pictures of for the paper in chapter 10?
4. Who goes out with Bill to the tornado bunker?
5. Who does Bill take with him when he goes north?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the puzzle that is left for Bill on his doorstep.
2. What offer does Ronny Lawton make to Bill over and over about his estranged wife? What is Bill's response?
3. How do Ed and Sam react when Bill shows them the letter he has deciphered?
4. How has Bill and Pete's relationship changed by chapter 13?
5. Explain what Walter thinks of the Ronny Lawton situation.
6. Describe what Ronny's estranged wife's boyfriend is like.
7. How does Bill feel about his unfolding destiny by the end of the story?
8. Describe the secret place Bill takes Ronny Lawton's estranged and her son to after the hostage situation ends.
9. Describe how Bill reacts after finding Ronny Lawton's father's head in the bunker.
10. How does Lucas get treated when he misbehaves in chapter 10? What does he do wrong?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bill, Ed, and Sam agree to go out to the hurricane bunker together they do it for their own motives. The excitement they feel is only temporary. Their feelings change once they realize the seriousness of the situation.
Write an essay that explains why the men wanted to go to the bunker without notifying the authorities. Were their reasons selfish? How did going into the bunker effect the investigation? How did going into the bunker effect the characters? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Darlene is a character that we learn about mostly through other characters. She is portrayed as both confidant and possible villain.
Write an essay exploring what Darlene's true personality is. Is she someone to be trusted? Why or why not? What actions does she take that make her seem one way or another? How does her character impact events throughout the book? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Ronny Lawton takes Teri and Lucas hostage he does it after coming back into town and killing Karl. Up until this point there is no concrete proof that Ronny is guilty of anything.
Write an essay explaining why Ronny Lawton takes such drastic actions after coming back into town. What has driven him to this point? Does him killing Karl and taking hostages prove anything about his innocence in other matters? Why or why not? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)