|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the retirement resort Ed mentions in chapter 9?
2. How does Ronny Lawton feel about his brother?
3. What attitude do the customer's at Ronny Lawton's work have toward him?
4. How old is Ronny's son?
5. What is Ed Hoskin doing at the beginning of chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. List four of Bill's "tools of the trade" he has on his desk.
2. List the reasons Ed gives for his irritation with Bill over Darlene in chapter 10.
3. List some of the signs that give evidence to Ed and his illness.
4. Describe the final few hours of Bill's father's life.
5. How does Pete react when Bill presents him with the possible murder weapon? Why?
6. Describe what "Car Theft" is by Darlene's definition.
7. Why does Bill say that "the written word is dead?"
8. List three of the four big newspapers that pick up the Ronny Lawton story.
9. Why does the town collectively feel that Ronny Lawton killed his father for sure?
10. Describe the process Ronny Lawton went through to report his father missing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bill feels a great sense of freedom after he, Teri, and Lucas leave the cottage in the woods. For the first time in a long time there is some semblance of peace in his mind.
Write an essay exploring how Bill feels about his new found sense of release. What is his lookout on the future? Is he happy, scared, excited, or something else? What is he going to do now that he is free from the shadow of his mansion and past? Who is he taking with him? Reference the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
When Bill, Ed, and Sam agree to go out to the hurricane bunker together they do it for their own motives. The excitement they feel is only temporary. Their feelings change once they realize the seriousness of the situation.
Write an essay that explains why the men wanted to go to the bunker without notifying the authorities. Were their reasons selfish? How did going into the bunker effect the investigation? How did going into the bunker effect the characters? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Ronny Lawton takes Teri and Lucas hostage he does it after coming back into town and killing Karl. Up until this point there is no concrete proof that Ronny is guilty of anything.
Write an essay explaining why Ronny Lawton takes such drastic actions after coming back into town. What has driven him to this point? Does him killing Karl and taking hostages prove anything about his innocence in other matters? Why or why not? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)