|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of home does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife live in?
2. How tall is Darlene?
3. Where does Diane live?
4. At what time does Bill arrive at Ronny Lawton's place in chapter 2?
5. What is the name of the tavern Bill, Ed, and Sam go to in chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. List some of the features offered at the Florida retirement community Sam contemplates in chapter 9.
2. Describe the final few hours of Bill's father's life.
3. List the reasons why Ronny Lawton does not want to lose what he has in life at this moment.
4. Who is Gretchen? Describe her.
5. Describe how Bill reacted right after his fathers death.
6. List three of the four big newspapers that pick up the Ronny Lawton story.
7. Describe the phenomenon that is Linda Carter.
8. What are some of the questions Ronny's estranged wife asks Bill when she calls him in chapter 10?
9. How does Ronny react when Bill shows up and plays music at his work?
10. Describe the insane scene at Denny's with the teenagers and Ronny.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice is a recurring theme in The Keepers of Truth. In the beginning many people in the town think that Ronny Lawton is guilty.
Write an essay that explains who thinks that Ronny is guilty and what evidence is given to support this idea. Do the opinions of these characters change over the course of the book? Why or why not? In what other instances of the story is prejudice a factor? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Sam meets an end that is both tragic and pitiful. He never gets to live the retired life he dreamed of. His death occurs suddenly and without provocation.
Write an essay explaining why Sam chose to die as he did. What events in the book foreshadow his death? What actions were taken by Sam that might have seemed suspicious? Did Bill and Ed see Sam as someone who was suicidal? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Bill confronts Ronny Lawton at Denny's after finding his father's head Ronny acts submissive. When he chooses to flee Bill does not stop him.
Write an essay explaining the reasons Bill lets Ronny go without contest. Why is Ronny running in the first place? What does Bill think of Ronny by this point? What made him think this way? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)