|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gretchen is the name of who?
2. What type of car does Ronny Lawton own?
3. What job title does Ronny Lawton have?
4. What have the attractions in town been replaced with?
5. How does Ronny Lawton act when Bill confronts him about how he treated his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. List three of the four big newspapers that pick up the Ronny Lawton story.
2. What did Ronny Lawton do for his mother when his father refused to take her to the doctor?
3. Why is Bill always leaving messages on his girlfriend's machine?
4. Describe Ronny Lawton's estranged wife.
5. What are some of the questions Ronny's estranged wife asks Bill when she calls him in chapter 10?
6. List some of the signs that give evidence to Ed and his illness.
7. How does Ronny Lawton feel about the Vietnam War and Charlie? Explain.
8. Why does Sam get angry at Bill over his Rocky commentary piece he presents him with?
9. List the reasons Ed gives for his irritation with Bill over Darlene in chapter 10.
10. How does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife know Darlene?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ronny Lawton's disposition went through a radical change the night he was beaten by his father for taking his mother out. Before that night he worked hard to provide the things his father could not.
Write an essay that explains the changes Ronny went through. How do these changes impact Ronny's character as the story goes forward? By the end, is any semblance of his old personality evident or has he changed forever? Why or why not? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Sam meets an end that is both tragic and pitiful. He never gets to live the retired life he dreamed of. His death occurs suddenly and without provocation.
Write an essay explaining why Sam chose to die as he did. What events in the book foreshadow his death? What actions were taken by Sam that might have seemed suspicious? Did Bill and Ed see Sam as someone who was suicidal? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of The Keepers of Truth Bill and Pete have a stable friendship. As the story progresses their friendship is tested and eventually strained.
Write an essay explaining how their relationship goes through this change. What events happen that create a rift between the two men? How does Bill feel about his dissolving friendship with Pete? On what terms are they with each other by the end of the story? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)