|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ronny Lawson wearing when they feature him on the news the first time?
2. What demand does Ronny Lawton make of his manager?
3. With which of these companies does the town previously have a contract?
4. Who is Charlie?
5. At what time does Ronny Lawton go night fishing in chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ronny Lawton do for his mother when his father refused to take her to the doctor?
2. Why is Bill always leaving messages on his girlfriend's machine?
3. Why does the town collectively feel that Ronny Lawton killed his father for sure?
4. Describe Bill's mother.
5. Who does Darlene consider to be her "children" since she has none of her own?
6. Describe what Ronny Lawton's bedroom looks like.
7. How does Ronny react when Bill shows up and plays music at his work?
8. Describe the final few hours of Bill's father's life.
9. Why does Bill say that "the written word is dead?"
10. List some of the negative ways Ronny Lawton's estranged treats her child.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bill feels a great sense of freedom after he, Teri, and Lucas leave the cottage in the woods. For the first time in a long time there is some semblance of peace in his mind.
Write an essay exploring how Bill feels about his new found sense of release. What is his lookout on the future? Is he happy, scared, excited, or something else? What is he going to do now that he is free from the shadow of his mansion and past? Who is he taking with him? Reference the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Failing to get into law school had a great impact on Bill's life after college. He feels that he has failed in some aspect of his life because of this.
Write an essay that explains his motives behind studying for the LSAT test again. How does he use studying as an excuse to escape the real life responsibilities he has? By the end of the story does studying for the LSAT test have any result that impacts his life? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The gardening shears play an important role in the psychological part of the story. The idea of their presence haunts Bill continuously after he buries them in his backyard.
Write an essay that explores the ideas of paranoia and psychological insecurity. What is Bill constantly afraid of when it comes to the shears? Who knows about them and what could happen if they are found? Do the shears have any impact on the conclusion of the story? Reference the novel to support your point.
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)