|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Ronny Lawson wearing when they feature him on the news the first time?
2. Where does Bill go to study in chapter 5?
3. At what time does Bill arrive at Ronny Lawton's place in chapter 2?
4. Which important test did Bill fail when he took it?
5. Why does Ed get upset with Bill at the beginning of chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Gretchen? Describe her.
2. Why does the town collectively feel that Ronny Lawton killed his father for sure?
3. Describe the insane scene at Denny's with the teenagers and Ronny.
4. Describe one of the ways Bill's grandfather used to make money off of ice.
5. How did Bill feel about finding the possible murder weapon in Ronny Lawton's estranged wife's yard? What does he do with it?
6. Describe the final few hours of Bill's father's life.
7. What are some of the questions Ronny's estranged wife asks Bill when she calls him in chapter 10?
8. Describe Ronny Lawton's estranged wife.
9. Describe the process Ronny Lawton went through to report his father missing.
10. List the reasons Ed gives for his irritation with Bill over Darlene in chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Teri is a source of continued distraction for Bill. He knows he shouldn't want to be around her, she is only interested in his money. Yet he never stops wanting to be near her.
Write an essay exploring the dynamic of Bill and Teri's relationship. Does Bill really think that Teri will stay with him? Does he even care if she does not? What does Teri want to get from Bill? Is their relationship one that will last long term? Why or why not? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Darlene is a character that we learn about mostly through other characters. She is portrayed as both confidant and possible villain.
Write an essay exploring what Darlene's true personality is. Is she someone to be trusted? Why or why not? What actions does she take that make her seem one way or another? How does her character impact events throughout the book? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Bill has difficult psychological challenges to endure, especially in connection with women.
Write an essay that explains which women he focuses on, how he interacts with them, what they want from him, and why. Will any of these relationships last? Why or why not? Be sure the explain whether unrequited love and obsession factor into Bill's personality and what that tells the reader about Bill's character. Provide examples from the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 905 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)