|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of pills does Bill often take throughout the story?
2. What job title does Ronny Lawton have?
3. How does Bill like his coffee?
4. How many years have passed since the death of Bill's father?
5. What type of clothing is Darlene wearing when she comes to pick up Bill, Ed, and Sam in chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bill's mother.
2. Why is Bill so cynical about doing articles about things like bake offs?
3. List three of the four big newspapers that pick up the Ronny Lawton story.
4. List some of the features offered at the Florida retirement community Sam contemplates in chapter 9.
5. How does Pete react when Bill presents him with the possible murder weapon? Why?
6. Who does Darlene consider to be her "children" since she has none of her own?
7. Describe what Bill's town was like before all of the factories shut down.
8. Why does the town collectively feel that Ronny Lawton killed his father for sure?
9. Why does Bill say that "the written word is dead?"
10. Describe one of the ways Bill's grandfather used to make money off of ice.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Bill, Ed, and Sam agree to go out to the hurricane bunker together they do it for their own motives. The excitement they feel is only temporary. Their feelings change once they realize the seriousness of the situation.
Write an essay that explains why the men wanted to go to the bunker without notifying the authorities. Were their reasons selfish? How did going into the bunker effect the investigation? How did going into the bunker effect the characters? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
When Bill confronts Ronny Lawton at Denny's after finding his father's head Ronny acts submissive. When he chooses to flee Bill does not stop him.
Write an essay explaining the reasons Bill lets Ronny go without contest. Why is Ronny running in the first place? What does Bill think of Ronny by this point? What made him think this way? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Teri is a source of continued distraction for Bill. He knows he shouldn't want to be around her, she is only interested in his money. Yet he never stops wanting to be near her.
Write an essay exploring the dynamic of Bill and Teri's relationship. Does Bill really think that Teri will stay with him? Does he even care if she does not? What does Teri want to get from Bill? Is their relationship one that will last long term? Why or why not? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)