|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bill's mother demand when she finds out she is pregnant?
2. During what year of college does Bill receive psychiatric help?
3. What time does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife go into work at?
4. Where does Bill go to study in chapter 5?
5. What demand does Ronny Lawton make of his manager?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Darlene consider to be her "children" since she has none of her own?
2. Describe one of the ways Bill's grandfather used to make money off of ice.
3. Describe what Bill's town was like before all of the factories shut down.
4. List some of the features offered at the Florida retirement community Sam contemplates in chapter 9.
5. How does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife know Darlene?
6. How does Pete react when Bill presents him with the possible murder weapon? Why?
7. List some of the animals Bill used to visit at the zoo as a child.
8. Why is Bill always leaving messages on his girlfriend's machine?
9. List four of Bill's "tools of the trade" he has on his desk.
10. Describe the process Ronny Lawton went through to report his father missing.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ronny Lawton's father's body is never found. Bill knows it exists somewhere, and he can't ignore that fact.
Write an essay exploring Bill's ideas of extinction and evolution in the context of the story. How does he view the conclusion to the Ronny Lawton case? What do his ideas of extinction and evolution have to do with it? How does he tie these ideas in to the closing of the factories? Reference the novel to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of The Keepers of Truth Bill and Pete have a stable friendship. As the story progresses their friendship is tested and eventually strained.
Write an essay explaining how their relationship goes through this change. What events happen that create a rift between the two men? How does Bill feel about his dissolving friendship with Pete? On what terms are they with each other by the end of the story? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Bill lets himself be taken hostage by Ronny Lawton. He does not struggle or try to escape when tied up. He even goes as far as to warn Ronny about the poisoned food the FBI gives him.
Write an essay explaining why Bill helps Ronny even though he is being held hostage by him. What are the reasons behind his actions? How does he feel about the situation as a whole? Is he angry, sad, annoyed, or something else? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)