Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do Sam, Ed, and Darlene have a close relationship?
2. Does Bill regret his inheritance?
3. What is the name of Bill's family's dog?
4. What body part do they find at Ronny Lawton's house?
5. What do the men of town of days gone by do for fun on warm nights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one of the ways Bill's grandfather used to make money off of ice.
2. List the reasons why Ronny Lawton does not want to lose what he has in life at this moment.
3. What offer does Ronny Lawton make to Bill over and over about his estranged wife? What is Bill's response?
4. How does Linda Carter make Ronny Lawton seem in her television special?
5. How does Ronny react when Bill shows up and plays music at his work?
6. Why is Sam always in a state of panic over the paper?
7. List some of the signs that give evidence to Ed and his illness.
8. List the items Bill is instructed to bring to Ronny during the beginning of the hostage situation in chapter 15.
9. Describe the final few hours of Bill's father's life.
10. How does Lucas get treated when he misbehaves in chapter 10? What does he do wrong?
Essay Topic 1
Failing to get into law school had a great impact on Bill's life after college. He feels that he has failed in some aspect of his life because of this.
Write an essay that explains his motives behind studying for the LSAT test again. How does he use studying as an excuse to escape the real life responsibilities he has? By the end of the story does studying for the LSAT test have any result that impacts his life? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Darlene is a character that we learn about mostly through other characters. She is portrayed as both confidant and possible villain.
Write an essay exploring what Darlene's true personality is. Is she someone to be trusted? Why or why not? What actions does she take that make her seem one way or another? How does her character impact events throughout the book? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Bill lets himself be taken hostage by Ronny Lawton. He does not struggle or try to escape when tied up. He even goes as far as to warn Ronny about the poisoned food the FBI gives him.
Write an essay explaining why Bill helps Ronny even though he is being held hostage by him. What are the reasons behind his actions? How does he feel about the situation as a whole? Is he angry, sad, annoyed, or something else? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)