|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time does Ronny Lawton go night fishing in chapter 2?
2. What food item does Bill bring to his dinner with Ed?
3. Does Bill regret his inheritance?
4. What street does Bill drive onto in the beginning of chapter 6?
5. What is the date of Ronny's mother's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. List some of the physical traits the waitresses at Denny's have.
2. What are some of the questions Ronny's estranged wife asks Bill when she calls him in chapter 10?
3. List some of the signs that give evidence to Ed and his illness.
4. Who is Gretchen? Describe her.
5. List some of the animals Bill used to visit at the zoo as a child.
6. Describe Ronny Lawton's estranged wife.
7. List four of Bill's "tools of the trade" he has on his desk.
8. Describe the final few hours of Bill's father's life.
9. How does Ronny Lawton feel about the Vietnam War and Charlie? Explain.
10. Why does Sam get angry at Bill over his Rocky commentary piece he presents him with?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the beginning of The Keepers of Truth Bill and Pete have a stable friendship. As the story progresses their friendship is tested and eventually strained.
Write an essay explaining how their relationship goes through this change. What events happen that create a rift between the two men? How does Bill feel about his dissolving friendship with Pete? On what terms are they with each other by the end of the story? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of the story Bill reflects upon how the town has changed over time. He thinks that the morality of society along with the economy has suffered.
Write an essay that addresses Bill's view of these changes. What things does Bill think have suffered in the town? What major changes did the town go through and why? Were the people who live in the town impacted? Be sure to state whether Bill's opinions are too lenient, too harsh, or something else. Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
After escaping from Ronny Lawton's house Bill takes Teri and Lucas to his cottage. Bill loves how isolated the cottage is from the outside world. He reflects upon the memories he and his father had there.
Write an essay exploring Bill's feelings about the cabin and how they tie in to the memories of his father. What activities did he and his father do while staying at the cabin? What sort of food did they eat? How did Bill feel when his father left him alone days at a time while they were there? Reference the novel to support your points.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)