|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Ronny Lawton's estranged wife?
2. Why does Ed get upset with Bill at the beginning of chapter 9?
3. What tool does Bill find at Ronny Lawton's estranged wife's place?
4. What picture does Bill consider to be the most important in a story?
5. What type of sandwich does Sam like to cook in his toaster oven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Darlene consider to be her "children" since she has none of her own?
2. Who is Gretchen? Describe her.
3. List some of the animals Bill used to visit at the zoo as a child.
4. How does Ronny Lawton feel about the Vietnam War and Charlie? Explain.
5. What are some of the questions Ronny's estranged wife asks Bill when she calls him in chapter 10?
6. Describe Bill's mother.
7. Describe what Ronny Lawton's bedroom looks like.
8. Describe what Bill's town was like before all of the factories shut down.
9. What are some of the questions Ronny is asked during his lie detector test?
10. Why is Bill always leaving messages on his girlfriend's machine?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Ronny Lawton takes Teri and Lucas hostage he does it after coming back into town and killing Karl. Up until this point there is no concrete proof that Ronny is guilty of anything.
Write an essay explaining why Ronny Lawton takes such drastic actions after coming back into town. What has driven him to this point? Does him killing Karl and taking hostages prove anything about his innocence in other matters? Why or why not? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Darlene is a character that we learn about mostly through other characters. She is portrayed as both confidant and possible villain.
Write an essay exploring what Darlene's true personality is. Is she someone to be trusted? Why or why not? What actions does she take that make her seem one way or another? How does her character impact events throughout the book? Use examples from the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Ronny Lawton's father's body is never found. Bill knows it exists somewhere, and he can't ignore that fact.
Write an essay exploring Bill's ideas of extinction and evolution in the context of the story. How does he view the conclusion to the Ronny Lawton case? What do his ideas of extinction and evolution have to do with it? How does he tie these ideas in to the closing of the factories? Reference the novel to support your points.
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)