|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Do Sam, Ed, and Darlene have a close relationship?
2. Does Bill regret his inheritance?
3. What is the name of Bill's family's dog?
4. What body part do they find at Ronny Lawton's house?
5. What do the men of town of days gone by do for fun on warm nights?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one of the ways Bill's grandfather used to make money off of ice.
2. List the reasons why Ronny Lawton does not want to lose what he has in life at this moment.
3. What offer does Ronny Lawton make to Bill over and over about his estranged wife? What is Bill's response?
4. How does Linda Carter make Ronny Lawton seem in her television special?
5. How does Ronny react when Bill shows up and plays music at his work?
6. Why is Sam always in a state of panic over the paper?
7. List some of the signs that give evidence to Ed and his illness.
8. List the items Bill is instructed to bring to Ronny during the beginning of the hostage situation in chapter 15.
9. Describe the final few hours of Bill's father's life.
10. How does Lucas get treated when he misbehaves in chapter 10? What does he do wrong?
Essay Topic 1
After escaping from Ronny Lawton's house Bill takes Teri and Lucas to his cottage. Bill loves how isolated the cottage is from the outside world. He reflects upon the memories he and his father had there.
Write an essay exploring Bill's feelings about the cabin and how they tie in to the memories of his father. What activities did he and his father do while staying at the cabin? What sort of food did they eat? How did Bill feel when his father left him alone days at a time while they were there? Reference the novel to support your points.
Essay Topic 2
Teri is a source of continued distraction for Bill. He knows he shouldn't want to be around her, she is only interested in his money. Yet he never stops wanting to be near her.
Write an essay exploring the dynamic of Bill and Teri's relationship. Does Bill really think that Teri will stay with him? Does he even care if she does not? What does Teri want to get from Bill? Is their relationship one that will last long term? Why or why not? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Ronny Lawton's father's body is never found. Bill knows it exists somewhere, and he can't ignore that fact.
Write an essay exploring Bill's ideas of extinction and evolution in the context of the story. How does he view the conclusion to the Ronny Lawton case? What do his ideas of extinction and evolution have to do with it? How does he tie these ideas in to the closing of the factories? Reference the novel to support your points.
This section contains 2,376 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)