|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife go into work at?
2. How old is Ronny Lawton?
3. Gretchen is the name of who?
4. What type of alcohol do Bill, Ed, and Sam drink with their sandwiches in chapter 9?
5. How many children total does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the town collectively feel that Ronny Lawton killed his father for sure?
2. What are some of the questions Ronny's estranged wife asks Bill when she calls him in chapter 10?
3. List the reasons Ed gives for his irritation with Bill over Darlene in chapter 10.
4. Describe the phenomenon that is Linda Carter.
5. List some of the animals Bill used to visit at the zoo as a child.
6. How does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife know Darlene?
7. Why is Bill so cynical about doing articles about things like bake offs?
8. Describe what Ronny Lawton's bedroom looks like.
9. List three of the four big newspapers that pick up the Ronny Lawton story.
10. What are some of the questions Ronny is asked during his lie detector test?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bill has very strong feelings about his family history. He does not hide any detail when he recalls the series of events that lead up to his father's death.
Judging by Bill's past psychiatric history, and that of his family, is it possible that he may come to an end similar to that of his father? Write an essay that explains the answer to this question and how it contributes to the novel. Does it contribute to the plot, character, foreshadowing, or something else? What evidence in the book is given to support or negate this assumption? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
In the beginning of The Keepers of Truth Bill and Pete have a stable friendship. As the story progresses their friendship is tested and eventually strained.
Write an essay explaining how their relationship goes through this change. What events happen that create a rift between the two men? How does Bill feel about his dissolving friendship with Pete? On what terms are they with each other by the end of the story? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 3
Teri is a source of continued distraction for Bill. He knows he shouldn't want to be around her, she is only interested in his money. Yet he never stops wanting to be near her.
Write an essay exploring the dynamic of Bill and Teri's relationship. Does Bill really think that Teri will stay with him? Does he even care if she does not? What does Teri want to get from Bill? Is their relationship one that will last long term? Why or why not? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)