|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Diane?
2. Does Bill regret his inheritance?
3. Who is with Bill's father when he dies?
4. What, according to the rumors, is going to happen to Paul when they take him to the zoo?
5. What does Gretchen do to try and comfort Darlene?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Ronny react when Bill shows up and plays music at his work?
2. Describe what Ronny Lawton's bedroom looks like.
3. What are some of the questions Ronny is asked during his lie detector test?
4. Why is Bill always leaving messages on his girlfriend's machine?
5. List some of the negative ways Ronny Lawton's estranged treats her child.
6. How does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife know Darlene?
7. Describe what "Car Theft" is by Darlene's definition.
8. Why is Bill so cynical about doing articles about things like bake offs?
9. Why does Sam get angry at Bill over his Rocky commentary piece he presents him with?
10. Describe Ronny Lawton's estranged wife.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bill feels a great sense of freedom after he, Teri, and Lucas leave the cottage in the woods. For the first time in a long time there is some semblance of peace in his mind.
Write an essay exploring how Bill feels about his new found sense of release. What is his lookout on the future? Is he happy, scared, excited, or something else? What is he going to do now that he is free from the shadow of his mansion and past? Who is he taking with him? Reference the novel to support your opinions.
Essay Topic 2
Teri is a source of continued distraction for Bill. He knows he shouldn't want to be around her, she is only interested in his money. Yet he never stops wanting to be near her.
Write an essay exploring the dynamic of Bill and Teri's relationship. Does Bill really think that Teri will stay with him? Does he even care if she does not? What does Teri want to get from Bill? Is their relationship one that will last long term? Why or why not? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Bill, Ed, and Sam agree to go out to the hurricane bunker together they do it for their own motives. The excitement they feel is only temporary. Their feelings change once they realize the seriousness of the situation.
Write an essay that explains why the men wanted to go to the bunker without notifying the authorities. Were their reasons selfish? How did going into the bunker effect the investigation? How did going into the bunker effect the characters? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)