|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife work?
2. What type of school does Diane go to?
3. Where does Ronny Lawton work?
4. What word does Ronny have spelled out on the knuckles of his left hand?
5. How long ago did Ronny's mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. List some of the physical traits the waitresses at Denny's have.
2. Who is Gretchen? Describe her.
3. List some of the features offered at the Florida retirement community Sam contemplates in chapter 9.
4. Why does Sam get angry at Bill over his Rocky commentary piece he presents him with?
5. Describe what Ronny Lawton's bedroom looks like.
6. How does Pete react when Bill presents him with the possible murder weapon? Why?
7. Describe Ronny Lawton's estranged wife.
8. How did Bill feel about finding the possible murder weapon in Ronny Lawton's estranged wife's yard? What does he do with it?
9. How does Ronny Lawton's estranged wife know Darlene?
10. Describe what "Car Theft" is by Darlene's definition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Prejudice is a recurring theme in The Keepers of Truth. In the beginning many people in the town think that Ronny Lawton is guilty.
Write an essay that explains who thinks that Ronny is guilty and what evidence is given to support this idea. Do the opinions of these characters change over the course of the book? Why or why not? In what other instances of the story is prejudice a factor? Use examples from the novel to make the point.
Essay Topic 2
Ronny Lawton's disposition went through a radical change the night he was beaten by his father for taking his mother out. Before that night he worked hard to provide the things his father could not.
Write an essay that explains the changes Ronny went through. How do these changes impact Ronny's character as the story goes forward? By the end, is any semblance of his old personality evident or has he changed forever? Why or why not? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
When Bill confronts Ronny Lawton at Denny's after finding his father's head Ronny acts submissive. When he chooses to flee Bill does not stop him.
Write an essay explaining the reasons Bill lets Ronny go without contest. Why is Ronny running in the first place? What does Bill think of Ronny by this point? What made him think this way? Use examples from the novel to support your opinions.
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)