|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What age group seems to support Ronny Lawton the most?
2. At what time does Ronny Lawton go night fishing in chapter 2?
3. What type of school does Diane go to?
4. What is the name of the tavern Bill, Ed, and Sam go to in chapter 9?
5. To what does Bill's grandfather change his name when he moves to the plains?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Ronny's estranged wife's boyfriend is like.
2. Describe how Bill reacts after finding Ronny Lawton's father's head in the bunker.
3. Describe the final few hours of Bill's father's life.
4. Who is Gretchen? Describe her.
5. List four of Bill's "tools of the trade" he has on his desk.
6. Why is Bill so cynical about doing articles about things like bake offs?
7. Describe what "Car Theft" is by Darlene's definition.
8. What did Ronny Lawton do for his mother when his father refused to take her to the doctor?
9. Why is Sam always in a state of panic over the paper?
10. How does Bill and Ronny Lawton's relationship change from the beginning of the story up to the hostage situation?
Essay Topic 1
Bill lets himself be taken hostage by Ronny Lawton. He does not struggle or try to escape when tied up. He even goes as far as to warn Ronny about the poisoned food the FBI gives him.
Write an essay explaining why Bill helps Ronny even though he is being held hostage by him. What are the reasons behind his actions? How does he feel about the situation as a whole? Is he angry, sad, annoyed, or something else? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
When Bill, Ed, and Sam agree to go out to the hurricane bunker together they do it for their own motives. The excitement they feel is only temporary. Their feelings change once they realize the seriousness of the situation.
Write an essay that explains why the men wanted to go to the bunker without notifying the authorities. Were their reasons selfish? How did going into the bunker effect the investigation? How did going into the bunker effect the characters? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Bill feels a great sense of freedom after he, Teri, and Lucas leave the cottage in the woods. For the first time in a long time there is some semblance of peace in his mind.
Write an essay exploring how Bill feels about his new found sense of release. What is his lookout on the future? Is he happy, scared, excited, or something else? What is he going to do now that he is free from the shadow of his mansion and past? Who is he taking with him? Reference the novel to support your opinions.
This section contains 2,368 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)