|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The young garage apprentice asks Mma Makutsi, Mma Ramotswe, and Mr. Matekoni to _____________________.
2. The owner of the new business claims to have once lived in _____________________.
3. Who is one of Mma Ramotswe's foster children?
4. Mma Ramotswe reassures Motholeli that _______________.
5. What is Mr. Matekoni's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the premise of The Kalahari Typing School For Men?
2. What situation did Mr. Molefelo find himself in with his girlfriend at the time? Why did he steal an item from the Tsolamoseses?
3. What suggestion does Mma Makutsi have for increasing sales at Mr. Matekoni's garage?
4. What consumes Mma Ramotswe's thoughts as the novel opens?
5. How does Puso react when he is confronted with harming the bird?
6. Who is Mr. Molefelo? What does he tell Mma Ramotswe when he comes to her office?
7. How does Mma Ramotswe reassure her foster daughter about her problem?
8. Why does the author insert Mr. Molefelo's character into the story?
9. What does Mma Ramotswe think is the answer to Mma Makutsi's financial struggles?
10. What are the two sources of conflict that will run throughout the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alexander McCall Smith is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly explain each example and identify the technique used.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment. Then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)