|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Buthelezi claims to have once worked for the _______________.
2. Who is one of Mma Ramotswe's foster children?
3. It is _____________ that Mma Ramotswe has reservations about Mma Makutsi's new business.
4. For how long has Mma Ramotswe's fiance struggled with the illness?
5. The owner of the new business claims to have once lived in _____________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mma Ramotswe happy that her assistant, Mma Makutsi has taken over Mr. Matekoni's business during his illness?
2. What seems to be Mr. Molefelo's intention by contacting Mma Ramotswe?
3. Why does the author insert Mr. Molefelo's character into the story?
4. For what reason does Mr. Molefelo now need Mma Ramotswe's services?
5. Why is the visit to the new detective agency so insulting to Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi?
6. Who is Mr. Molefelo? What does he tell Mma Ramotswe when he comes to her office?
7. What are other people's thoughts about the potential for success of Mma Makutsi's typing school?
8. What is the difficulty that Mma Ramotswe faces now that affects both her personal and business lives?
9. How does Mma Makutsi arrive at the idea for her typing school?
10. What is the one condition to which Mma Makutsi must agree in exchange for the typewriters?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Mr. Molefelo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Mr. Molefelo?
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Mma Ramotswe's life. Will she still be running her detective agency? Will she have married Mr. Matekoni? Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use this setting in the novel?
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)