|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many apprentices work in the garage?
2. From where does Mma Makutsi draw most of her income?
3. Mr. Matekoni believes _______is responsible for injuring the bird.
4. What does Mma Ramotswe do to create a diversion at the church?
5. Mr. Buthelezi is described as a _______________ man.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are other people's thoughts about the potential for success of Mma Makutsi's typing school?
2. What is the irony of Mma Ramotswe's uncertainty regarding Mma Makutsi's typing school?
3. What situation did Mr. Molefelo find himself in with his girlfriend at the time? Why did he steal an item from the Tsolamoseses?
4. Why is the visit to the new detective agency so insulting to Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi?
5. What is the premise of The Kalahari Typing School For Men?
6. For what reason does Mr. Molefelo now need Mma Ramotswe's services?
7. How does Mma Ramotswe reassure her foster daughter about her problem?
8. Why does the typewriter school seem to be a win-win situation for Mma Makutsi?
9. How does Mma Makutsi arrive at the idea for her typing school?
10. How does Puso react when he is confronted with harming the bird?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Mma Makutsi's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Mr. Matekoni. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Mr. Matekoni?
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)