|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many apprentices work in the garage?
2. What does Mr. Matekoni become aware of at Mma Ramotswe's house?
3. Mma Makutsi's new business is based on ________________________.
4. With how many typewriters does Mma Makutsi plan to start her business?
5. What task does Mma Makutsi do in the office in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mma Makutsi arrive at the idea for her typing school?
2. What is the one condition to which Mma Makutsi must agree in exchange for the typewriters?
3. What are the two sources of conflict that will run throughout the novel?
4. What is the author's purpose for the first two chapters of the novel?
5. What does Mma Ramotswe think is the answer to Mma Makutsi's financial struggles?
6. For what reason does Mr. Molefelo now need Mma Ramotswe's services?
7. Why does Mma Ramotswe find it necessary to create a diversion at the church service?
8. What seems to be Mr. Molefelo's intention by contacting Mma Ramotswe?
9. What does Mr. Molefelo tell Mma Ramotswe about his life in Gaborone as a student living with the Tsolamoseses?
10. How does Mma Makutsi obtain the typewriters necessary for her typing school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the atypical family in The Kalahari Typing School for Men. What does it mean that Mma Ramotswe has foster children and that Mr. Matekoni acts as a father figure? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Botswanan families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Mma Makutsi. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? Give other pertinent details about Mma Makutsi.
Essay Topic 3
Loneliness seems to be almost an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the sense of loneliness? Why does it have such a prevalent place in Mma Makutsi's life? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)