|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Buthelezi is described as a _______________ man.
2. What does Mma Ramotswe's foster daughter reveal to her?
3. The bird in the garden has been injured by a __________________.
4. The young garage apprentice asks Mma Makutsi, Mma Ramotswe, and Mr. Matekoni to _____________________.
5. What consumes Mma Makutsi's thoughts in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are other people's thoughts about the potential for success of Mma Makutsi's typing school?
2. What is the one condition to which Mma Makutsi must agree in exchange for the typewriters?
3. What situation did Mr. Molefelo find himself in with his girlfriend at the time? Why did he steal an item from the Tsolamoseses?
4. What is the new business threat that complicates Mma Ramotswe's life?
5. For what reason does Mr. Molefelo now need Mma Ramotswe's services?
6. How does Puso react when he is confronted with harming the bird?
7. Describe Mr. Buthelezi. Why is he such a negative presence?
8. What has happened to Mr. Molefelo emotionally as a result of his being attacked?
9. Why is the visit to the new detective agency so insulting to Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi?
10. How does Mma Ramotswe reassure her foster daughter about her problem?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in The Kalahari Typing School for Men. What does it mean that Mma Ramotswe has foster children and that Mr. Matekoni acts as a father figure? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Botswanan families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the book's title? What are some other possible titles for the book? List at least five and cite your reasons for each.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)