|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of business does the person in #51 own?
2. What is the name of a new business opening in town?
3. Mma Makutsi thinks that most men do not want to learn ____________________.
4. What issue is upsetting Motholeli?
5. Mma Ramotswe reassures Motholeli that _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mma Ramotswe happy that her assistant, Mma Makutsi has taken over Mr. Matekoni's business during his illness?
2. What does Mma Ramotswe think is the answer to Mma Makutsi's financial struggles?
3. What does Mma Ramotswe learn about a problem her foster daughter is struggling with?
4. What is the new business threat that complicates Mma Ramotswe's life?
5. Why does Mma Ramotswe find it necessary to create a diversion at the church service?
6. What is the one condition to which Mma Makutsi must agree in exchange for the typewriters?
7. For what reason does Mr. Molefelo now need Mma Ramotswe's services?
8. Why does the author insert Mr. Molefelo's character into the story?
9. How does Mma Makutsi arrive at the idea for her typing school?
10. Describe Mr. Buthelezi. Why is he such a negative presence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Women's rights is an important theme in The Kalahari Typing School for Men. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples for support.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two themes about loss in the novel. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)