|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mma Ramotswe's foster son say he feels about Mr. Katekoni?
2. Where do Mma Ramotswe and Mr. Molefelo go to talk privately?
3. Mma Ramotswe is from which country?
4. Mma Ramotswe reassures Motholeli that _______________.
5. It is _____________ that Mma Ramotswe has reservations about Mma Makutsi's new business.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the typewriter school seem to be a win-win situation for Mma Makutsi?
2. Why does the author insert Mr. Molefelo's character into the story?
3. Why is Mma Ramotswe happy that her assistant, Mma Makutsi has taken over Mr. Matekoni's business during his illness?
4. Describe Mr. Buthelezi. Why is he such a negative presence?
5. Why does Mma Ramotswe find it necessary to create a diversion at the church service?
6. For what reason does Mr. Molefelo now need Mma Ramotswe's services?
7. What is the new business threat that complicates Mma Ramotswe's life?
8. Why is the visit to the new detective agency so insulting to Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi?
9. How does Mma Makutsi arrive at the idea for her typing school?
10. Who is Mr. Molefelo? What does he tell Mma Ramotswe when he comes to her office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment. Then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The frustration of unfulfilled affection touches several characters in the story. Name at least two characters who experience unfulfilled love and the situations that occur as a result.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role of women in Botswana in the early 21st century, the time period of women in this novel. What precedents do they feel compelled to follow? What restrictions do they have? What freedoms did they have that their mothers did not have?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)