|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Mma Makutsi call regarding her new business idea?
2. What is the name of Mma Ramotswe's business?
3. Mma Makutsi thinks about all the men who do not know how to __________________.
4. The youngest apprentice has become _____________________ lately.
5. What issue is upsetting Motholeli?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Tebogo's reaction to learning that Mr. Molefelo has wanted to make amends for his past behavior?
2. Who is the new client? Why does she require Mma Ramotswe's services?
3. What has happened to Mr. Molefelo emotionally as a result of his being attacked?
4. What does Mr. Matekoni encounter when he comes to Mma Ramotswe's home to water the vegetable plants?
5. How does Mma Ramotswe celebrate the fact that hers is again the only detective agency in town?
6. What reason does Mr. Selelipeng tell Mma Makutsi that he can no longer see her? What is her response?
7. What does Mma Ramotswe learn about a problem her foster daughter is struggling with?
8. How does the author show that Mma Ramotswe is deeply concerned for her foster children?
9. How does Mma Ramotswe go about looking for Mr. and Mma Tsolamosese?
10. How does Mma Ramotswe tell Mr. Molefelo that he can repay Tebogo?
Essay Topic 1
Women's rights is an important theme in The Kalahari Typing School for Men. Can you cite an example to support this theme? Name two other themes and cite examples for support.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses several instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an instance of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Alexander McCall Smith is a master at dramatic devices. Choose examples of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly explain each example and identify the technique used.
This section contains 1,491 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)