|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mma Ramotswe's marital status?
2. What upsetting news does Mma Makutsi deliver to Mma Ramotswe?
3. What does Mma Ramotswe do to create a diversion at the church?
4. What is the name of the person who comes to see Mma Ramotswe?
5. When did Mr. Molefelo come to the city in #74?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mma Ramotswe happy that her assistant, Mma Makutsi has taken over Mr. Matekoni's business during his illness?
2. For what reason does Mr. Molefelo now need Mma Ramotswe's services?
3. What seems to be Mr. Molefelo's intention by contacting Mma Ramotswe?
4. What situation did Mr. Molefelo find himself in with his girlfriend at the time? Why did he steal an item from the Tsolamoseses?
5. Describe Mr. Buthelezi. Why is he such a negative presence?
6. What is the irony of Mma Ramotswe's uncertainty regarding Mma Makutsi's typing school?
7. What does Mma Ramotswe think is the answer to Mma Makutsi's financial struggles?
8. What is the one condition to which Mma Makutsi must agree in exchange for the typewriters?
9. How does Mma Ramotswe reassure her foster daughter about her problem?
10. What is the difficulty that Mma Ramotswe faces now that affects both her personal and business lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Mma Ramotswe's life. Will she still be running her detective agency? Will she have married Mr. Matekoni? Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in The Kalahari Typing School for Men. What does it mean that Mma Ramotswe has foster children and that Mr. Matekoni acts as a father figure? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Botswanan families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mr. Molefelo. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Mr. Molefelo?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)