Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last name of the family with whom Mr. Molefelo lived?
2. What is Mma Ramotswe's concern for Mma Makutsi's business?
3. This novel is the ________________ in a series of novels featuring Mma Ramotswe.
4. Who was Mr. Molefelo's girlfriend when he was a student?
5. What does Mr. Matekoni do when he arrives at Mma Ramotswe's home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one condition to which Mma Makutsi must agree in exchange for the typewriters?
2. What are the two sources of conflict that will run throughout the novel?
3. What does Mma Ramotswe tell Mr. Molefelo about how Tebogo now views her experience with him years ago?
4. How does the author show that Mma Ramotswe is deeply concerned for her foster children?
5. What consumes Mma Ramotswe's thoughts as the novel opens?
6. What does Mma Ramotswe think is the answer to Mma Makutsi's financial struggles?
7. Describe Mr. Buthelezi. Why is he such a negative presence?
8. Who is the new client? Why does she require Mma Ramotswe's services?
9. Why is the visit to the new detective agency so insulting to Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi?
10. What reason does Mr. Selelipeng tell Mma Makutsi that he can no longer see her? What is her response?
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment. Then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one instance of irony in the book. Cite at least two other examples you can identify in the novel and note why they are examples of irony.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Mma Ramotswe's life. Will she still be running her detective agency? Will she have married Mr. Matekoni? Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)