|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last name of the family with whom Mr. Molefelo lived?
2. What has Mma Ramotswe deeply troubled in Chapter 4?
3. Who tried to harm the person in #51?
4. Which business will repair the typewriters for Mma Makutsi's school?
5. Who is one of Mma Ramotswe's foster children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the one condition to which Mma Makutsi must agree in exchange for the typewriters?
2. What does Mma Ramotswe think is the answer to Mma Makutsi's financial struggles?
3. What has happened to Mr. Molefelo emotionally as a result of his being attacked?
4. Why does the author insert Mr. Molefelo's character into the story?
5. Why is Mma Ramotswe happy that her assistant, Mma Makutsi has taken over Mr. Matekoni's business during his illness?
6. Why does Mma Ramotswe find it necessary to create a diversion at the church service?
7. How does Mma Makutsi obtain the typewriters necessary for her typing school?
8. What does Mr. Matekoni encounter when he comes to Mma Ramotswe's home to water the vegetable plants?
9. Describe Mr. Buthelezi. Why is he such a negative presence?
10. What does Mr. Molefelo tell Mma Ramotswe about his life in Gaborone as a student living with the Tsolamoseses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Kalahari Typing School for Men is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the ongoing conflict between Mma Ramotswe and Mr. Buthelezi. What are the main sources of the conflicts? Why does it perpetuate? Why is the conflict greater than straightforward business competition? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use this setting in the novel?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)