|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mma Ramotswe's foster son say he feels about Mr. Katekoni?
2. Mr. Buthelezi is described as a _______________ man.
3. With whom is Mma Ramotswe speaking at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. Mr. Molefelo is a rich man who _________________________.
5. Which business will repair the typewriters for Mma Makutsi's school?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Puso react when he is confronted with harming the bird?
2. What does Mr. Molefelo tell Mma Ramotswe about his life in Gaborone as a student living with the Tsolamoseses?
3. What is the difficulty that Mma Ramotswe faces now that affects both her personal and business lives?
4. Why does the author insert Mr. Molefelo's character into the story?
5. What situation did Mr. Molefelo find himself in with his girlfriend at the time? Why did he steal an item from the Tsolamoseses?
6. Why is the visit to the new detective agency so insulting to Mma Ramotswe and Mma Makutsi?
7. What is the new business threat that complicates Mma Ramotswe's life?
8. What does Mma Ramotswe learn about a problem her foster daughter is struggling with?
9. How does Mma Makutsi arrive at the idea for her typing school?
10. What is the author's purpose for the first two chapters of the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of disappointment. Identify at least two characters who either embody or experience disappointment. Then cite an example to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of the atypical family in The Kalahari Typing School for Men. What does it mean that Mma Ramotswe has foster children and that Mr. Matekoni acts as a father figure? How does this unusual family evolve in its support of each other? How typical is this family mentality to most Botswanan families living during this time period?
Essay Topic 3
Create a character study of Mma Ramotswe. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? Give other pertinent details about Mma Ramotswe.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)