|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the person in #51 tell Mma Ramotswe?
2. Whom does Mma Makutsi call regarding her new business idea?
3. Who is one of Mma Ramotswe's foster children?
4. What did Mr. Molefelo steal from the Tsolamoseses?
5. The youngest apprentice has become _____________________ lately.
Short Essay Questions
1. What suggestion does Mma Makutsi have for increasing sales at Mr. Matekoni's garage?
2. What has happened to Mr. Molefelo emotionally as a result of his being attacked?
3. What is the one condition to which Mma Makutsi must agree in exchange for the typewriters?
4. What is the author's purpose for the first two chapters of the novel?
5. What are other people's thoughts about the potential for success of Mma Makutsi's typing school?
6. What seems to be Mr. Molefelo's intention by contacting Mma Ramotswe?
7. How does Mma Makutsi obtain the typewriters necessary for her typing school?
8. What is the difficulty that Mma Ramotswe faces now that affects both her personal and business lives?
9. What does Mr. Matekoni encounter when he comes to Mma Ramotswe's home to water the vegetable plants?
10. Who is Mr. Molefelo? What does he tell Mma Ramotswe when he comes to her office?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for Mma Ramotswe's life. Will she still be running her detective agency? Will she have married Mr. Matekoni? Who will be present in her life? Where will she be living?
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Mr. Matekoni. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Mr. Matekoni?
Essay Topic 3
What is the overall setting for the novel? Be sure to include geography, time period, and any pertinent popular culture events. Why did Smith choose to use this setting in the novel?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)