|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
2. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
3. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
4. After the incident with the minister, for what did Fujiwara prepare?
5. How did Fujiwara hide his face from MM when their carriages passed?
Short Essay Questions
1. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
2. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
3. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
4. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
5. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
6. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
7. Describe MM's poetry.
8. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
9. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
10. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which the politics of the Heian period were linked to religious matters.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze MM's relationships with both Lady Joganden and the Prince in regards to their society and the protocol of the court.
Essay Topic 3
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)