|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
2. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
3. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
4. How did MM feel about her husband's abandonment before her long retreat?
5. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
2. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
3. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
4. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
5. Describe MM's poetry.
6. What happened to the minister of the left?
7. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
8. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
9. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
10. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which the politics of the Heian period were linked to religious matters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles jealousy and humiliation played in MM's life in regards to her relationships with her husband, family, attendants, and other women.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)