|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
2. How did Fujiwara hide his face from MM when their carriages passed?
3. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
4. What sort of tournament did Fujiwara discuss seeing with MM in his letter?
5. What notable holiday passed in Fujiwara's absence when he became involved with Omi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
2. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
3. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
4. Describe MM's poetry.
5. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
6. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
7. What happened to the minister of the left?
8. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
9. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
10. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)