|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
2. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
3. Fujiwara confronted MM about ________________during their letter exchange after she adopted his child.
4. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
5. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
2. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
3. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
4. What happened to the minister of the left?
5. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
6. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
7. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
8. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
9. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
10. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which the politics of the Heian period were linked to religious matters.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the significance of MM's final rejection of Fujiwara and the ways in which she came to terms with their broken marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the short-term and long-term effects of Fujiwara's adultery on his wives and children.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)