|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fujiwara send to MM on her retreat to convince her to return home?
2. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
3. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
4. What happened to the minister of the left?
5. What notable holiday passed in Fujiwara's absence when he became involved with Omi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
2. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
3. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
4. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
5. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
6. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
7. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
8. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
9. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
10. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationships MM had with Michitsuna and her adopted daughter in regards to her need to take back control of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various ways in which power was the central conflict between many of the people in MM's diary, particularly between the lady herself and her husband.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)