|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on her retreat, what did MM refuse to do, much to the distress of her family?
2. What kept MM from committing suicide after her husband's rebuke about her depression in Book Two?
3. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
4. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
5. What did MM believe caused the tension within her house after the beginning of Book Two?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
2. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
3. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
4. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
5. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
6. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
7. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
8. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
9. What happened to the minister of the left?
10. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways in which the politics of the Heian period were linked to religious matters.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationships MM had with Michitsuna and her adopted daughter in regards to her need to take back control of her life.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)