|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
2. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
3. What no longer had meaning for MM after her pilgrimage to Hase in light of her husband's behavior?
4. What was MM's destination when she planned a pilgrimage in Book Two with her son?
5. Why was Michitsuna unable to follow the woman at the festival home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
2. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
3. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
4. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
5. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
6. Describe MM's poetry.
7. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
8. What happened to the minister of the left?
9. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
10. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the marriage of MM and Fujiwara.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships MM had with Michitsuna and her adopted daughter in regards to her need to take back control of her life.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which the politics of the Heian period were linked to religious matters.
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)