|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
2. With what holiday did Book Two begin?
3. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
4. At what festival was MM when her neighborhood caught on fire?
5. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
2. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
3. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
4. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
5. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
6. What happened to the minister of the left?
7. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
8. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
9. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
10. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
Essay Topic 3
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)