|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
2. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
3. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
4. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
5. Why did Fujiwara hide his face from MM during the archery contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
2. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
3. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
4. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
5. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
6. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
7. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
8. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
9. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
10. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In what ways was MM a victim of her own society? Write an essay about her difficulties in fitting in with the world around her, including her feelings of alienation and isolation and the ways in which she had to find empowerment on her own terms.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships MM had with Michitsuna and her adopted daughter in regards to her need to take back control of her life.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the short-term and long-term effects of Fujiwara's adultery on his wives and children.
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)