|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Michitsuna intent on finding his father after the fire?
2. How did Fujiwara treat his son during the Grand Sumo Tournament?
3. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
4. Why did Fujiwara feel insulted by MM after his promotion in Tenroku?
5. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe MM's poetry.
2. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
3. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
4. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
5. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
6. What happened to the minister of the left?
7. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
8. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
9. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
10. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationships MM had with Michitsuna and her adopted daughter in regards to her need to take back control of her life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the role of religion in MM's life.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)