|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara about how she could not see him on her retreat?
2. What vocation did MM start to consider on her retreat?
3. In what place was the minister forced to accept duties?
4. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
5. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
2. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
3. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
4. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
5. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
6. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
7. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
8. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
9. Describe MM's poetry.
10. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the feminist aspects of "The Kagero Diary."
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the significance of MM's final rejection of Fujiwara and the ways in which she came to terms with their broken marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)