|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. MM's aunt and ______ brought her gifts, hoping it would tempt her to return home.
2. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
3. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
4. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
5. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
2. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
3. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
4. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
5. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
6. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
7. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
8. What happened to the minister of the left?
9. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
10. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)