|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The _______ of the Ono Palace passed away in Book Two.
2. When MM grew afraid that she was dying, what did she warn Fujiwara against?
3. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
4. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
5. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
Short Essay Questions
1. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
2. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
3. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
4. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
5. Describe MM's poetry.
6. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
7. What happened to the minister of the left?
8. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
9. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
10. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the significance of MM's final rejection of Fujiwara and the ways in which she came to terms with their broken marriage.
Essay Topic 3
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)