|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was MM's mood during her pilgrimage with her father?
2. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
3. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
4. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
5. Through whom was MM only able to tolerate communicating with Fujiwara after adopting her daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
2. Describe MM's poetry.
3. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
4. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
5. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
6. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
7. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
8. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
9. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
10. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various ways in which power was the central conflict between many of the people in MM's diary, particularly between the lady herself and her husband.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationships MM had with Michitsuna and her adopted daughter in regards to her need to take back control of her life.
Essay Topic 3
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)