|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did MM predict to be the season of her death?
2. Why was Michitsuna unable to follow the woman at the festival home?
3. What distressed MM the most after Fujiwara's promotion?
4. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
5. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe MM's poetry.
2. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
3. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
4. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
5. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
6. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
7. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
8. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
9. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
10. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the marriage of MM and Fujiwara.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze MM's poetry and prose. Discuss the technical aspects of her writing, as well as the significance of her frequent subject matter.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)