|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Fujiwara want MM to cancel her plans for a pilgrimage?
2. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
3. How did MM prepare for her prayers to Buddha during Fujiwara's long absences?
4. Who took charge of the situation with the fire in MM's neighborhood?
5. What year was Tenroku?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
2. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
3. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
4. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
5. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
6. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
7. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
8. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
9. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
10. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze MM's relationships with both Lady Joganden and the Prince in regards to their society and the protocol of the court.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different marital traditions of the Heian period and how it contrasted to the modern concept of a marriage.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)