|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Upon whose demand did MM finally leave the monastery?
2. What happened to the minister of the left?
3. What natural element served to remind MM of her courtship with Fujiwara after his promotion?
4. For how long was MM ill in Book Two?
5. Where did Fujiwara lay the blame for his absences after his promotion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did MM decide to go on another retreat after Fujiwara's promotion?
2. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
3. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
4. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
5. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
6. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
7. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
8. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
9. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
10. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay about the short-term and long-term effects of Fujiwara's adultery on his wives and children.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how MM and Fujiwara's strained marriage affected Michitsuna, both positively and negatively. How were Michitsuna's personality and maturity level direct results of his relationship with his mother?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)