|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM after she moved in with her father?
2. Where does Fujiwara meet MM on her retreat with her son?
3. What did MM predict to be the season of her death?
4. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
5. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
Short Essay Questions
1. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
2. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
3. By Tenroku, how had MM made peace with her neglected relationship?
4. How did Fujiwara react to MM's pilgrimage with Michitsuna?
5. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
6. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
7. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
8. What happened to the minister of the left?
9. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
10. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the marriage of MM and Fujiwara.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze MM's relationships with both Lady Joganden and the Prince in regards to their society and the protocol of the court.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)