|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offered to escort MM home (though she declined)?
2. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
3. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
4. What was Fujiwara's reaction to MM's plans for another pilgrimage with her father?
5. What did Michitsuna send to the woman he admired at the festival?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter?
2. What happened to the minister of the left?
3. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
4. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
5. What happened when MM's neighborhood caught on fire?
6. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
7. What was significant about MM's prediction about her death?
8. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
9. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
10. Describe MM's poetry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's personality and the ways in which she grew and matured in the years of her marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which MM used her art for empowerment.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the short-term and long-term effects of Fujiwara's adultery on his wives and children.
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)