|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Book Two, for what was MM commissioned?
2. To what position was Fujiwara promoted during Tenroku?
3. MM was most unsure of ____________________during her first days home from the retreat.
4. With what did Michitsuna most struggle on their retreat?
5. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
2. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
3. What led to MM adopting Kanetada's daughter?
4. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
5. Describe Michitsuna's courtship with the woman in the carriage.
6. How did Fujiwara's promotion to major captain bring him back in contact with MM?
7. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
8. How did Fujiwara react to MM's plans to travel to the Hase temple with her father?
9. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
10. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay about the significance of MM's final rejection of Fujiwara and the ways in which she came to terms with their broken marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)