|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year was Tenroku?
2. What excuse did MM give to Fujiwara when he asked why she had not written him during Tenroku?
3. What sort of contest did Fujiwara hope to host?
4. In what place was the minister forced to accept duties?
5. What was the fate of the governor general's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
2. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
3. Why was MM conflicted in the monastery, amid Fujiwara's pleas for her to come home?
4. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
5. After her return from Karasaki, how did Fujiwara sink MM into an even deeper depression?
6. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
7. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
8. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
9. How did MM and Michitsuna both react to their secluded retreat?
10. Describe MM's poetry.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay that dissects Fujiwara's personality from the reader's point of view as well as MM's perspective. How do the differences in perception help form an accurate picture of his character?
Essay Topic 2
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the ways in which MM used her art for empowerment.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)