|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who delivered MM's letter to Fujiwara after her purification ceremony?
2. Why did MM decide to adopt a child?
3. What was Fujiwara's intent in his reply to MM's missives in Book Two?
4. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
5. What did MM reveal about her adopted daughter to Fujiwara?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compose an essay about the significance of MM's final rejection of Fujiwara and the ways in which she came to terms with their broken marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay about the ways in which the director's fervent pursuit of MM's adopted daughter was an echo of Fujiwara's courtship of MM and the implications of this in regards to their society.
Essay Topic 3
Why was MM given to suicidal thoughts? How serious did she appear to be about them? Write an essay discussing her descent into consideration of suicide, her sincerity about it, and how she was able to pull herself away from it.
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)