|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what temple did MM travel with her father?
2. What did MM take special care to teach her adopted daughter?
3. What year was Tenroku?
4. Why was Michitsuna given an official rank in court?
5. Why did MM's attendants burn poppy seeds?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was MM's mood when she returned home after her long seclusion and why?
2. Why was MM depressed after returning from the Hase temple?
3. About what did MM and Fujiwara argue during his long illness?
4. Describe MM's poetry.
5. How did Michitsuna fare at the archery contest?
6. On New Year's Day, what did MM attempt in order to garner a better year for her and her family?
7. How did Fujiwara bond with MM during her illness?
8. What was the result of Fujiwara's promotion to major captain on MM's depression?
9. Why was Fujiwara angry with MM's move to her father's house?
10. How did Fujiwara treat Michitsuna at the Grand Sumo Tournament?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze MM's personality and the ways in which she grew and matured in the years of her marriage.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways in which the politics of the Heian period were linked to religious matters.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles jealousy and humiliation played in MM's life in regards to her relationships with her husband, family, attendants, and other women.
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)